• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Tizoc

B4tCyVNIQAAtY7s.jpg:large

Er... yeah, you're all right guys.

lol.

I'm liking Sticks, she's the right kind of crazy I can get a good laugh from.

Tizoc

Not a fan, brehs.

Of there being a 2nd major crossover?
Well as long as its fun I'm not bothered, but that's just me, and let me tell you, years ago I would read a dozen of Marvel and DC books combined every week.
Now the combined number of Marvel and DC books combined I read every week can be counted on one hand =_=

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, the aspects of the crossover are just really stupid and kinda meaningless to me. I get the inclusion of X and Boom for sales purposes but Christ almighty the inclusion of something as unfunny as Boom is just stupid to me.

Sonic has done the multiverse stuff before in the comics with known characters so I don't see why we have to go with Boom instead of someone like, I dunno, Scourge.

Well, the aspects of the crossover are just really stupid and kinda meaningless to me. I get the inclusion of X and Boom for sales purposes but Christ almighty the inclusion of something as unfunny as Boom is just stupid to me.

I don't know if you've answered this before, but have you given the comics a fair shake? They're probably the smartest of the lot, and they're clearly using it to get jokes out of their system they've wanted to do for a long time.

Village

Of there being a 2nd major crossover?
Well as long as its fun I'm not bothered, but that's just me, and let me tell you, years ago I would read a dozen of Marvel and DC books combined every week.
Now the combined number of Marvel and DC books combined I read every week can be counted on one hand =_=

Not a fan either.

" Hey mega man is crossing over "

" No, I don't actually give that much of a shit about megaman... , I would rather just read sonic stories. You had a reboot, maybe I'm more interested in the world building after that than having to use sonic to help megaman sell better"

" But megaman tho, X is there"

"Not enough "

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I thought Scourge was done by someone else, then I looked it up on the Wiki and he wasn't. Awww man, Penders ruins everything!

That guy sucks!

I don't know if you've answered this before, but have you given the comics a fair shake? They're probably the smartest of the lot, and they're clearly using it to get jokes out of their system they've wanted to do for a long time.
I have the first issue and didn't think much of it. To be fair, I haven't watched the show outside of the first two episodes since I didn't think much of them either.

Is the second issue better?

I thought Scourge was done by someone else, then I looked it up on the Wiki and he wasn't. Awww man, Penders ruins everything!

That guy sucks!

I thought Ian at one point said he got special approval to still use Scourge for some things, but things I've read since made it seem like even that collapsed.

So yeah, he does. But don't worry, he's going to show us! Soon, everyone will be talking about the completely original heroine Mary-Sue... er... Lara-Su! And her proud race of NautSon'ycs! Their favorite food being donuts... made of steel!

I have the first issue and didn't think much of it. To be fair, I haven't watched the show outside of the first two episodes since I didn't think much of them either.

Is the second issue better?

I think so. Sonic's
slowly-increasing breakdown
at being unable to move
was a nice little touch.

I thought Ian at one point said he got special approval to still use Scourge for some things, but things I've read since made it seem like even that collapsed.

So yeah, he does. But don't worry, he's going to show us! Soon, everyone will be talking about the completely original heroine Mary-Sue... er... Lara-Su! And her proud race of NautSon'ycs! Their favorite food being donuts... made of steel!

CV2GKby.jpg

Tizoc

That guy sucks!
T.T I know Schala I know Schala.
Scourge was a cool character and I would've loved to see what more Ian can do with him.

Sonic has done the multiverse stuff before in the comics with known characters so I don't see why we have to go with Boom instead of someone like, I dunno, Scourge.

Do we even know if the Boom comic will be a part of the crossover? Maybe it'd be a 1-off issue, who knows.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
but classic sonic is the one i played as a child so therefore it is automatically better
ya classic sonic's powerups like the bubble which lets me stomp, and the fire shield which lets me semi-boost onscreen, and the electric shield which lets me double jump were way better than modern sonic's moveset :V :V :V :V

Do we even know if the Boom comic will be a part of the crossover? Maybe it'd be a 1-off issue, who knows.
It's called Worlds Unite, and Schala doesn't want any part of that Boom stuff, brehs.

Tizoc

ya classic sonic's powerups like the bubble which lets me stomp, and the fire shield which lets me semi-boost onscreen, and the electric shield which lets me double jump were way better than modern sonic's moveset :V :V :V :V
I always liked how SOnic 3 handled 2 of those 3 shields, and always dream of a game that can re-utilize them in a way that would allow a 2D Sonic game to give you different ways/paths of completing a stage.

It's called Worlds Unite, and Schala doesn't want any part of that Boom stuff, brehs.

It don't mean squat, girl. You should start worrying when we learn more than 1 issue of the Boom comic is part of the crossover, until then, chillax, grab a hot drink, and watch your fav. anime/tv show/stream/let's play.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What the hell is with this Sonic X Megaman stuff?
It's fun. Take things less seriously. Chill.

Feels like they have some parallels sometimes, what with Proto being the Knuckles/Piccolo and Bass being the Shadow/Vegeta.

I always liked how SOnic 3 handled 2 of those 3 shields, and always dream of a game that can re-utilize them in a way that would allow a 2D Sonic game to give you different ways/paths of completing a stage.
I was trying to make a joke. Even after all this time, people still take me seriously. :(((((((((((

It don't mean squat, girl. You should start worrying when we learn more than 1 issue of the Boom comic is part of the crossover, until then, chillax, grab a hot drink, and watch your fav. anime/tv show/stream/let's play.
I could use some alcohol.

(PS: Sonic Boom doesn't get better with alcohol. I tried.)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You did this to me, Beef. You did this to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGH0IgJ-7LE

so you were one of the 25k who actually bought that game
Nope. My friend bought it. Tried it sober, didn't like it. Tried it with erm... drugs, couldn't save it.

He lent it to me but I think he forgot he lent it to me. I tried it with alcohol and it didn't take. I still have it but I feel like I should give it back next semester.

Edit: I should finish it legit. Let it be the first bad game I play in half a year and the last bad game I play for a while. Turn on a video or something and play it muted so I don't have to hear "BOUNCE PAD" every five minutes.

TheOGB

Banned
You did this to me, Beef. You did this to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGH0IgJ-7LE

Nope. My friend bought it. Tried it sober, didn't like it. Tried it with erm... drugs, couldn't save it.

He lent it to me but I think he forgot he lent it to me. I tried it with alcohol and it didn't take. I still have it but I feel like I should give it back next semester.

Edit: I should finish it legit. Let it be the first bad game I play in half a year and the last bad game I play for a while. Turn on a video or something and play it muted so I don't have to hear "BOUNCE PAD" every five minutes.
Schala. You don't have to do this.

Get help.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Schala learned how to chill out while she was away from GAF. I got more important things to flip out about.

Knowing me these days, I'll probably drop it because I can't stand it. I'm long past the days where I feel like I have to finish off a game I don't like. I'm too busy playing Uncharted 2, Captain Toad, and Divinity and having a good time to boot.
Ie1G5ie.png

But jeez, Boom is another one of those "identity crisis: the game" games. Doesn't know what it wants to be, tries to integrate a lot of stuff from different areas (a shmup, Sonic, regular PS2 platformers only really shitty, games that revolve around one singular gimmick, etc). It's really inconsistent, the audio is a complete fucking nightmare because no one shuts up, I feel like it's glitchy and the visuals feel like they're jpgs at times, and it's just... so... boring.

The problem with the game is that it's boring. Sonic 06 at least had the saving grace of being a complete trainwreck and you couldn't stop watching. You could laugh at it and get drunk and probably have a good time if you were playing it with other people present so you can rip on it. But there's nothing to rip in Sonic Boom. It fluctuates between being serious and cracking jokes that I'm not sure who the audience is. It could be for kids, but sometimes it starts feeling like an all-ages affair. In Boom, Amy sounds like a tsundere Malibu Stacy, Sonic's an asshole, Knuckles is the only good character, and Tails is almost nonexistent to me. It feels so hollow even if the humour's there. It doesn't even build to a climax properly. Shit happens because it happens, not because it built up to it. There isn't a proper flow.

Boom is... I dunno what it is. I'm not sure what it is, and I'm not sure who it's directed towards. It feels completely divorced from the show in terms of mood and who it seems directed towards. Sonic Unleashed had better storytelling and humour than this.

Also the NPCs are boring and don't even need to be there. You've got a chef who's more than likely a serial killer hiding out in a restaurant. You've got a creepy old man Turtle. And you've got Kirk Thornton as the random archaeology dude that's just there to move the story along and to collect a paycheque while he's at it.

Complete mess on the floor that needs to be cleaned up. Hire someone to clean that up.

Tizoc

Good write-up Schala.
BTW what's your 2014 GotY list?

Mine is something like this atm
#1 Strider 2014
#2 Freedom Planet
#3 DanganRonpa 2
#4 Velocity 2X
#5 Prof. Layton vs. AA
#6 SMT4
#7 Silent Age
#8 Guilty Gear Xrd
#9 Wolfenstein TNO
#10 ME: Shadow of Mordor

Anth0ny

Schala learned how to chill out while she was away from GAF. I got more important things to flip out about.

Knowing me these days, I'll probably drop it because I can't stand it. I'm long past the days where I feel like I have to finish off a game I don't like. I'm too busy playing Uncharted 2, Captain Toad, and Divinity and having a good time to boot.
Ie1G5ie.png

But jeez, Boom is another one of those "identity crisis: the game" games. Doesn't know what it wants to be, tries to integrate a lot of stuff from different areas (a shmup, Sonic, regular PS2 platformers only really shitty, games that revolve around one singular gimmick, etc). It's really inconsistent, the audio is a complete fucking nightmare because no one shuts up, I feel like it's glitchy and the visuals feel like they're jpgs at times, and it's just... so... boring.

The problem with the game is that it's boring. Sonic 06 at least had the saving grace of being a complete trainwreck and you couldn't stop watching. You could laugh at it and get drunk and probably have a good time if you were playing it with other people present so you can rip on it. But there's nothing to rip in Sonic Boom. It fluctuates between being serious and cracking jokes that I'm not sure who the audience is. It could be for kids, but sometimes it starts feeling like an all-ages affair. In Boom, Amy sounds like a tsundere Malibu Stacy, Sonic's an asshole, Knuckles is the only good character, and Tails is almost nonexistent to me. It feels so hollow even if the humour's there. It doesn't even build to a climax properly. Shit happens because it happens, not because it built up to it. There isn't a proper flow.

Boom is... I dunno what it is. I'm not sure what it is, and I'm not sure who it's directed towards. It feels completely divorced from the show in terms of mood and who it seems directed towards. Sonic Unleashed had better storytelling and humour than this.

Also the NPCs are boring and don't even need to be there. You've got a chef who's more than likely a serial killer hiding out in a restaurant. You've got a creepy old man Turtle. And you've got Kirk Thornton as the random archaeology dude that's just there to move the story along and to collect a paycheque while he's at it.

Complete mess on the floor that needs to be cleaned up. Hire someone to clean that up.

nooooooooooooo

It looked like it was fun bad, like 06. Sounds like it's bad bad :(

Also, I'm having a super hard time deciding on my GOTY. Even last year was easier than this. Ugh.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've been drinking, sooooo... :v

I wasn't getting upset at anyone.

Just asking because I've seen them crossover before–it's just weird lol.
Aw, well, i thought your prose suggested the mood of your sentence. Internet never does emotions right even when you tack on an emote at the end. Sorry about that.

It's why everyone takes me seriously still. :/

Good write-up Schala.
BTW what's your 2014 GotY list?
Nothing I've played this year is worthy of the moniker yet. I don't even know if I'm bothering with a list because my faves are all old games from eons ago. Might as well make a list of stuff I played this year that I liked like Stump did in 2012. That's if I even bother posting a list because I don't feel much like doing it since the LTTP vote was scrapped.

I mean this is how much of a crap I give right now.

b4zgysvccaadcdh0ap2b.png

That's my GOTY list so far. I haven't had time to breathe this year and if I did, I played some good stuff instead that I know I'd enjoy.

2014 only had a few bright stars in the sky and nothing else. And what were supposed to be bright stars just burned out and had a big crunch.

Nice to know that you think so highly of my butt though
LuEuQ.png
You really are turning me into a drunk.

friends don't let friends sonic boom
Was this close to bringing my Wii U and Boom with me cuz I knew we'd be drinking.

Might be playing Shattered Crystal soon, but TimmiT says that game is trash too.

Sciz

It's not too late for you all to go play The Talos Principle and be pleasantly amazed by how great it is just in time for the GOTY voting. /plug

Tizoc

It's not too late for you all to go play The Talos Principle and be pleasantly amazed by how great it is just in time for the GOTY voting. /plug
Although I'm worried I may not be good at it...I think I'll get it.
Shame Russian trading is not possible anymore, i would've gotten it for $10 D;

Falk

that puzzling face
platinum n/a
platinum n/a
platinum n/a
platinum n/a
platinum n/a
platinum n/a
platinum n/a

wat r u doin

Tizoc

Wait you liked the Granstream Saga schala? I had that game as a kid but never beat it.
The_Granstream_Saga_Coverart.png

Did you know you can get the Ultimate weapon at the start of the game and that it can be missed?

BTW that list you posted is tinyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy....

Shattered Crystal on 3DS isn't bad IMO...it's just not what a game that Sonic veterans will enjoy.
Younger audience can enjoy it as it is a simple platformer or if they enjoy the show.

It runs better than the Wii U ver. that much I cans ay. I personally enjoy it, but it should be played in short bursts; 1 main stage a day and replayed in order to 100% it.

Top Bottom