• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Sonic Runners is gonna be great.

pxOs59I.gif

G0523

That'll only happen if Taxman gets to make Sonic 3 and Knuckles remastered in the same vein as his Sonic 1 and 2 remasters.

Is there ANY word on that? I understand it may take longer to make since it is a bigger game but I was hoping there would at least be confirmation of him working on it.

Falk

that puzzling face
There was a proof of concept. Same problems that existed a year ago still exist now. Some of the big proponents over at SoA for his stuff are no longer in SoA.

Go figure.

Is there ANY word on that? I understand it may take longer to make since it is a bigger game but I was hoping there would at least be confirmation of him working on it.

There's issues with Sonic 3 that might be holding up the project. Some people opened their mouths about Michael Jackson's involvement probably more than they should have. There may even be the implication that they went ahead and used some of his work that he didn't approve of? And Brad Buxer reusing a major part of his work on a Jetzons song doesn't simplify matters, either.

G0523

There's issues with Sonic 3 that might be holding up the project. Some people opened their mouths about Michael Jackson's involvement probably more than they should have. There may even be the implication that they went ahead and used some of his work that he didn't approve of? And Brad Buxer reusing a major part of his work on a Jetzons song doesn't simplify matters, either.

Oh riiiight, I forgot about the whole music shenanigans. Well damn. How did Sega get Sonic 3 on XBLA and Wii VC? If it's still up on there, surely they can put it on iOS and Android. (And I forgot that it's STILL not on PSN.)

Sciz

Emulation is technically just a reprint of the original work, and in cases like this tends to still be covered by the original licensing agreement. Updated ports and remakes and the like are a separate product and have to be licensed independently.

Anth0ny

HOLY SHIT I JUST BEAT DARK SOULS 2

I've been playing it on and off since it came out in March, and pretty much non stop for the last month. FINALLY fucking finished it just now. Probably the longest and hardest game I've ever played. Even Dark Souls 1 didn't take me this long, and felt easier somehow.

All that's left on my GOTY backlog is Shovel Knight and Pokemon Omega Ruby. Then I gotta do the write up for the GAF GOTY thread. THIS MIGHT ACTUALLY HAPPEN ON TIME.

so happy ; _ ;

OMG Aero

I've been playing it on and off since it came out in March, and pretty much non stop for the last month. FINALLY fucking finished it just now. Probably the longest and hardest game I've ever played. Even Dark Souls 1 didn't take me this long, and felt easier somehow.
Did this include the DLC? Because some of the DLC bosses are harder than any of the ones in the base game.

All that's left on my GOTY backlog is Shovel Knight and Pokemon Omega Ruby. Then I gotta do the write up for the GAF GOTY thread. THIS MIGHT ACTUALLY HAPPEN ON TIME.

so happy ; _ ;
Not the hardest game I've played but it was a bit tougher than the first one in the early goings I found, usually for the wrong reasons, like I swear the reverse difficulty curve was in effect here for one thing.
Shovel Knight shouldn't take you so long, you'll probably have enough time to dive in for a round 2 of it if need be, I ain't finishing Omega Ruby before the deadline and while it's perfectly fine I probably wouldn't vote for it anyway, I'm all Pokemon'd out.

I should really move on with my writeups but this one guy nailed my thought process for three games in particular to such a degree that I need to find other ways to describe them, curse this mystery Jerk Character.
Only games I'm trying to finish up at this point are recent acquisitions of JC's Game of the Forever Captain Toad (hang on, it didn't even make his top 5, HE LIED TO ME!) and Sonic Gaf's often mentioned Freedom Planet and it's sonic inspired ways, something has to fill space 10!

Did this include the DLC? Because some of the DLC bosses are harder than any of the ones in the base game.
Not sure if I'm anticipating this or not when I finally get around to them.
The DLC for the original game actually boosted my opinion of it a bit further so I do wonder if the same could happen here.

OMG Aero

Not sure if I'm anticipating this or not when I finally get around to them.
The DLC for the original game actually boosted my opinion of it a bit further so I do wonder if the same could happen here.
The DLC for Dark Souls 2 is really good and a lot of people think that they are the best parts of Dark Souls 2. The level design is more like Dark Souls 1 in that areas are more interconnected and as you go through you'll open pathways connecting to earlier parts of the level and they just feel better designed in comparison to a lot of existing Dark Souls 2 levels.
They do come with a few caveats though in that the first DLC in particular has a problem where two of the three bosses are straight up reused boss designs from Dark Souls 1 and 2 but they do have almost entirely new moves so whether that is a bad thing or not is up to you, the second DLC only has one boss that is a reused version of a previous boss but aside from that the other bosses and all the bosses in the third DLC are unique and they are all really good boss fights. Each DLC also has an optional area that the developer heavily intends for you to summon help for because either the areas or bosses at the end are a pain in the ass to do by yourself and each area only has one bonfire at the very start of the area, so if you are someone who wants to do everything by yourself (like me) then those parts will be really annoying.
Overall though the good parts of the DLC far outweigh those issues and if Artorias of the Abyss boosted your opinion of Dark Souls 1 then the three crown DLCs will almost certainly do the same for Dark Souls 2.

Tizoc

Can't believe I never bothered to look into this until now but, who was the character designer/artist on the Genesis Sonic games? Or at least who made the Japanese covers?

The DLC for Dark Souls 2 is really good and a lot of people think that they are the best parts of Dark Souls 2. The level design is more like Dark Souls 1 in that areas are more interconnected and as you go through you'll open pathways connecting to earlier parts of the level and they just feel better designed in comparison to a lot of existing Dark Souls 2 levels.
They do come with a few caveats though in that the first DLC in particular has a problem where two of the three bosses are straight up reused boss designs from Dark Souls 1 and 2 but they do have almost entirely new moves so whether that is a bad thing or not is up to you, the second DLC only has one boss that is a reused version of a previous boss but aside from that the other bosses and all the bosses in the third DLC are unique and they are all really good boss fights. Each DLC also has an optional area that the developer heavily intends for you to summon help for because either the areas or bosses at the end are a pain in the ass to do by yourself and each area only has one bonfire at the very start of the area, so if you are someone who wants to do everything by yourself (like me) then those parts will be really annoying.
Overall though the good parts of the DLC far outweigh those issues and if Artorias of the Abyss boosted your opinion of Dark Souls 1 then the three crown DLCs will almost certainly do the same for Dark Souls 2.

Originally I was waiting for them to go on sale but I'll probably hold out for the PS4 version when the time comes that I actually own one.
The idea of boss reuse doesn't bug me too much, falls in line with some of the reuse and re-purposing within DS2 bosses in general. Though I am absolutely the type of person to do everything by myself so I'm already dreading those optional areas, I really don't like summoning unless it's something I've done before.
Liking the sound of the more connected level design compared to most existing areas, cheers for the run down.

Anth0ny

No DLC. Though I am playing it unpatched on 360. I heard there was a patch that came out soon after launch that made everything easier or something?

Not the hardest game I've played but it was a bit tougher than the first one in the early goings I found, usually for the wrong reasons, like I swear the reverse difficulty curve was in effect here for one thing.
Shovel Knight shouldn't take you so long, you'll probably have enough time to dive in for a round 2 of it if need be, I ain't finishing Omega Ruby before the deadline and while it's perfectly fine I probably wouldn't vote for it anyway, I'm all Pokemon'd out.

Definitely a reverse difficulty curve. Though I found myself still struggling with some bosses/areas later in the game, it was nothing compared to some of the earlier stuff (RUIN SENTINELS UGH). I also didn't use any summons to beat any bosses because I didn't want to waste human effigys, as I didn't know if I'd have enough to last me through the entire game. Ended up finishing the game with 7 unused effigys... >_<

I'm not sure if Pokemon will make my list too, but with Shovel Knight, they are actually my only two 2014 games that I purchased and haven't finished, so fuck it, I just want to finish these shits and cross them off my list. I don't think I've ever finished EVERY game I purchased in a single calendar year within a year, heh.

Tizoc

Well I just started Shovel Knight.
Controls when jumping feel kinda stiff and idslike that the 'bounce attack' requires that you hold Down =_=
This'll be tricky on the Vita ver.

Other than that, really neat game, but I'm pref. Freedom Planet more, the stiff controls just made the battle against the intro stage boss trickier than it should be :X

Well I just started Shovel Knight.
Controls when jumping feel kinda stiff and idslike that the 'bounce attack' requires that you hold Down =_=
This'll be tricky on the Vita ver.

Other than that, really neat game, but I'm pref. Freedom Planet more, the stiff controls just made the battle against the intro stage boss trickier than it should be :X

I loved that. They took the Ducktales inspiration and ran with it without half-assing it.

HUELEN10

No Sonic 4 Episode 3...

I...is I mean is no one else bothered? I'm not devastated, but kinda heartbroken maybe I don't know? I'm really bummed out. I... well, how did you feel about this SonicGAF.

No Sonic 4 Episode 3...

I...is I mean is no one else bothered? I'm not devastated, but kinda heartbroken maybe I don't know? I'm really bummed out. I... well, how did you feel about this SonicGAF.

I thought it had pretty much already been confirmed that they weren't doing more before today. I mean, it's been two and a half years since episode 2 with nary a peep about any more.

I enjoyed episode 1 as a flawed Dimps Sonic/trope rehash but after the absurd mess that was episode 2 I don't care about there not being any more.

TheOGB

Banned
Relieved, tbh. Didn't seem to be worth going back to.

I wouldn't mind more of that type of Sonic game I guess (short downloadable adventure), but no more Sonic 4 is fine by me.

Sciz

I didn't care at all about the loss of more Sonic 4 until Taxman dropped this little what-if bomb:

Taxman said:
I guess it's been long enough that it's not relevant any more, but I was briefly asked if I would be interested in collaborating with Sega Studios Australia (Who did the Castle of Illusion remake) as a potential dev team to work on the third one. Sadly though, SSA were shut down, and Stealth and I worked on the Sonic 1 & 2 remasters in late 2012-2013.

Falk

that puzzling face
Gonna repeat myself here that whatever hypothetical project could have happened would have greatly benefited by not being a numbered entry, both to distance itself from the commercial/critical trainwrecks that were 4E1/E2 as well as to manage expectations as to relationship with the classic games.

So in order to move away from that depressing bit of "what if" news, I was thinking about doing another SonicGAF Votes, this time for best song in Sonic's history. Gonna do some setting up a google doc for nominations this week because fuck work, but yeah, expect it soon.

In the meantime, consider this: should different, official versions of the same song be separate, or combined entries?

I'd say combine them, but what would be an example of different versions?

I was mainly thinking of Generations when writing that (not for combining Modern/Classic, since I'd separate those, but for slightly updated versions of older songs like Rooftop Run). Thinking about it more on a not-empty stomach, I'm not sure it would matter too much.

TimmiT

Eh Sonic Boom 3DS is OK. Basic platformer, nothing amazing, but it's OK.

No it's an awful game and you know it! :mad:

I didn't care at all about the loss of more Sonic 4 until Taxman dropped this little what-if bomb:
Taxman said:
I guess it's been long enough that it's not relevant any more, but I was briefly asked if I would be interested in collaborating with Sega Studios Australia (Who did the Castle of Illusion remake) as a potential dev team to work on the third one. Sadly though, SSA were shut down, and Stealth and I worked on the Sonic 1 & 2 remasters in late 2012-2013.

This wasn't much more than a phone call, so it sounds like it didn't get much further than them discussing the possibility. We got the Castle of Illusion remake from Sega Studios Australia instead so I can't complain too much.

Anth0ny

fuck everything

I really hope, someday, we'll get a new, 2D Sonic with 1:1 Genesis physics and graphics, kinda like Megaman 9. Get Taxman on that shiz and make it happen.

Tizoc

That Taxman and SEGA Aus. Sonic game possibility...
*throws monitor out of the window*

What's the ETA on Taxman's indie game getting released? I recall he was working on one but is there a release date for it?

No it's an awful game and you know it! :mad:

Nah it's OK~

It's great how Sega has this massive asset and connection to the community in Taxman and Stealth, and they seemingly refuse to utilize it properly.

So in order to move away from that depressing bit of "what if" news, I was thinking about doing another SonicGAF Votes, this time for best song in Sonic's history. Gonna do some setting up a google doc for nominations this week because fuck work, but yeah, expect it soon.

Ooh! I nominate the Sonic Heroes intro, production version!

I'm pretty sure they used that version on the first Sonic Heroes teaser they put out, but it's so hard to find that now.

Anth0ny

In the meantime, consider this: should different, official versions of the same song be separate, or combined entries?

if they're combined, then a vote for this is also a vote for this

HUELEN10

Feel a little better today regarding the Sonic 4 news; I'm gonna be okay...

So guys, anyone expecting a Sonic Team game for the internal HDD 8th-gen twins this year?

Top Bottom