• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Caladrius

I have to pick just one song!?

-
Finished replaying Sonic Heroes (and Sonic Adventure 1+2, but I was more interested in talking about Heroes) very recently. First time I had done so in about 7 years. Heroes was the one that I had the biggest gulf between my memory and what I actually played.

It didn't really occur to me before how much of a technical mess the game was. Clipping and physics are eeeeverywhere, even compared to the Adventure games. That, combined with the repetition of levels makes it seem like they were really pressed in terms of deadlines.

All that aside, I did ultimately still enjoy the game alot. the core conceit of the game is still one of my favorite spins on traditional Sonic gameplay, and the idea of multiple storylines with differing playstyles all rooted in a singular gameplay system is a nice compromise between having multiple differentiated characters and focusing the game on traditional Sonic levels. That said there are some things I wish they had done that I thought would improve the game a lot. (A lot of the changes on this wishlist assume that they would have been given more time to actually do all this, which is a pipe dream of course, but work with me!)

-Remove all the padding. No Chaos Emerald stages (or at least make them easier to get into, losing the key after a single hit is duuumb) and minimal repetition of regular stages. While the stages as they are do have some differentiation between the teams, the shared level layouts and scenery diminish any freshness that those changes bring. The ideal way to do all this would of course be more original stages, with three campaigns (more on that in a minute) at maybe 10 stages each with minimal overlap (maybe 1 or 2 per story). If we go with a more conservative approach and just work with what was shipped, the campaigns would be short (only about 7-9 stages at the most) but that would still be 21-27 stages, the maximum range of which is about as many as the Adventure series had, as opposed to the 56 stages (Not including Bosses) with 35% original content of the actual Heroes.

-Cut the teams down to 3 as opposed to 4. Sonic, Rose and Dark aren't well-differentiated enough to justify having all three of them in the same game. I'd say cut out Team Rose, mainly because Team Sonic isn't very difficult to begin with.

-Team Chaotix needs even shorter stages for the mission-based gameplay to work optimally. The idea behind the stages is great but the destruction/collection quests drag on because the stages are just too long. Chaotix would be my favorite part of the game if they could fix that. Also get rid of Charmy and replace him with Amy+Cream. Not Like Team Rose didn't already circumvent the 3-character rule with Cheese.

-Combat shoulda been gutted for the most part. As others have likely said before me, combat does too much to break up the platforming and pacing, and most enemies aren't particularly fun to fight against (unless of course you're spamming level 2-3 Thunder Shoot, which never gets old).

-There's also the extremely irritating habit (mostly in Team Dark levels) of enemies being placed so that they're either unexpectedly in the middle of a high-speed portion (which is typically used by the game as a breather section, and which a player will likely be conditioned to not pay attention to by the time it pops up) or placed in a manner that makes them very hard to avoid. It's a rather cheap method of artificial difficulty that does little to service the gameplay. Cut that shit out.

Yay or nay on all this?

It's great how Sega has this massive asset and connection to the community in Taxman and Stealth, and they seemingly refuse to utilize it properly.

Really, there's a lot of things management seems to have little clue about.

Tizoc

Feel a little better today regarding the Sonic 4 news; I'm gonna be okay...

So guys, anyone expecting a Sonic Team game for the internal HDD 8th-gen twins this year?

Just...give me a 2D game in the same vein as the original games for $10-30 range...
i KNow I sound like a broken record, but I am not very trusting of them being able to deliver a Sonic game atm, unless they go back to Colors/Generations route.

Falk

that puzzling face
Asking me to pick one song out of the entire franchise is like asking me to decide which strand of my pubic hair I love the most.

I love them all

Asking me to pick one song out of the entire franchise is like asking me to decide which strand of my pubic hair I love the most.

I love them all

Luckily you won't have to choose just one.

http://goo.gl/forms/KCIE7QTcYV

Voting is open. Please follow the instructions carefully! I'll be posting this on Twitter as well so any gaffers following me can have a chance to vote.

In case it's not obvious from the number of times I mention it in the actual poll: BE SPECIFIC. Tough shit if you voted and then want to change things up a few days later. Also, this is NOT the official vote; this is only the nomination phase, and all the entries here will go towards making the actual, real deal Holyfield.

Nomination phase will go on for a while, probably until the 18th or so of this month.

TheOGB

Banned
Yeah, single song is going to be hell unless you have one song that's far and away your favorite
But this is Sonic music we're talking about here
There are too many favorites

edit: Oh, okay, this format seems less stressful than I was imagining
I'm still gonna end up spending too much time on this

edit 2: I just realized Best Theme Song isn't a category. Unless excluding theme music was the point. Clearly I am way too into this.

Anth0ny

Voting is open. Please follow the instructions carefully! I'll be posting this on Twitter as well so any gaffers following me can have a chance to vote.

In case it's not obvious from the number of times I mention it in the actual poll: BE SPECIFIC. Tough shit if you voted and then want to change things up a few days later. Also, this is NOT the official vote; this is only the nomination phase, and all the entries here will go towards making the actual, real deal Holyfield.

Nomination phase will go on for a while, probably until the 18th or so of this month.

oh man I am so doing this when it's not 5AM

Double post, but fuck it. I'm changing the verification process slightly because I realized how it can still be gotten past to screw with nominations. There's only been one nomination submitted anyways, so it's no biggie.

Caladrius

Ah, lovely. Are bosses included in the Level nominations?

Numbered 1-10? Like a top 10 list, or just scoring them 1/10 - 10/10?

I dunno, themes have way more of a place in a poll than 'best mashup'.

Seriously what were you thinking

No need to be a jerkoff about it. I'll change it once I get off of work.

EDIT: Better yet, convince me to add it in because I still don't feel like "just because" is a good enough reason.

Sciz

I'd split "instrumental boss themes" and "main themes + vocal tracks" off into their own categories to add a little more granularity without allowing for overlaps.

Falk

that puzzling face
No need to be a jerkoff about it. I'll change it once I get off of work.

EDIT: Better yet, convince me to add it in because I still don't feel like "just because" is a good enough reason.

No, you misunderstand me. I'm not saying 'themes should be in the poll' as much as I'm asking what your reasoning is behind 'mashup' category.

It still seems like a completely random thing to put in. It's like you're voting on a bunch of official stuff, then suddenly you need to go and find a mashup to plug into that choice, of which it's probably going to be inconsequential in a poll anyway because 1) only a fraction of people with interest in Sonic music have any interest in mashups 2) there's like a billion of them compared to a (large) finite amount of actual Sonic soundtracks.

It's like if GAF soundtrack of the year thread suddenly had a "best metal cover 2014" section.

also have a mashup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7mYZ68oIus

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I looked at the schedule before AGDQ even started and wondered who let Jak II into the house.

OH! I finished Uncharted 2 a few weeks ago. It's ND's best game (I'm not going to play TLoU for the next five years), but I don't think it's the bestest game ever. It has quite a few design flaws.

ND really likes to put the chicken before the egg quite often, though. Out of all the games of theirs I've played, it always always seems to be the case, and no one ever seems to think "maybe this might not be fun for the player" in the last five or so chapters of an Uncharted game, for example.

Uncharted 3, lol.

----

I'll do your voting thing on the weekend, Beef. I have to start typing the SotY vote for my own thread.

AniHawk

i wonder if naughty dog fans have calmed down since uncharted 2 and would be more willing to discuss the game's flaws and its dumb characters and bad story. it seems a lot of head canon is required to make nathan drake anything other than a fucking terrible human being.

Some can't have calmed down that much if the idea removing spectacle from say Uncharted 2 is tantamount to straight up killing its quality according to a number of folks in that thread on the subject the other week, I think that train of thought was supposed to be in its defence as well which just confused me further.

The poll has been updated with your suggestions. I have also wiped clean previous submissions, so you'll need to vote once again. Nomination phase will still go on until the 18th. Have a nice day!

D16GuEd.png

god i hope nobody suggests any additional categories like best jump button or anything

TheOGB

Banned
I'm thinking Sonic Adventure but I can't ignore the original.
I'd say top 3 are Adventure/Adventure 2, Sonic 1/2, and Heroes. But then, those are the only original ones, aren't they? (edit: No wait, there's the Advance jingles and 06, I guess. Rush games have neat D&B mixes or speedups of level music, too.)

Falk

that puzzling face
CATEGORY FOR BEST JUMP SOUND EFFECT

ANYONE WHO VOTES SONIC CD IS BANNED

To be honest I can't stand any of the classic jump sounds anymore. As iconic as it is, it's aged terribly compared to how much character the other stuff has - like springs, earthquakes, heck even getting stabbed in the butt. And then jumping is a lame zip whistle.

TheOGB

Banned
Post-vote thoughts:
  • I really like when there’s urgency in a Sonic song. I enjoy it when the music pushes you to be fast.
  • Kenichi Tokoi, Tomoya Ohtani, Hideaki Kobayashi da bess (shoutout to Fumie Kumatani)
  • Sonic R’s soundtrack is fucking magical
  • Sonic Spinball's options menu isn’t a level, but fuck it all the same
  • Sonic 2 was robbed several times over :(

Also some pretty wack answers so far tbh
wXcpUu1.png

Top Bottom