• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Falk

that puzzling face
Why me? You didn't even take off the mashup category which was what I was bitching about in the first place.

Falk

that puzzling face
Not saying he should, it's his poll and I voted in it anyway. I'm saying of all the changes he made, the one I wanted wasn't it so his post asking to blame me is kinda weird.

It's ok I'm used to being a scapegoat for stuff. Take one for the team and all that.

Tizoc

Refresh my memory:
Who was the stage designer for Sonic CD? What was different about Sonic CD and 2's development in terms of teams working on the games.

Sciz

Refresh my memory:
Who was the stage designer for Sonic CD? What was different about Sonic CD and 2's development in terms of teams working on the games.

CD was developed in Japan by a team led by Oshima, 2 was developed at STI as led by Yasuhara and Naka.

Not saying he should, it's his poll and I voted in it anyway. I'm saying of all the changes he made, the one I wanted wasn't it so his post asking to blame me is kinda weird.

It's ok I'm used to being a scapegoat for stuff. Take one for the team and all that.

Oh. I see.

vicepresident.png

your vice president, Beef

Sciz

Sonic #268 is one of the best issues of the entire series and it's basically nothing but setup and exposition.

This arc is gonna deliver.

Meanwhile Cubot (of all characters) got a little character development over in Boom #3 (of all places).

Tizoc

I'm not very familiar with the main minds behind the development of SOnic games ^^;

Based on this, is it safe to say that Sonic CD would've turned out differently and more appreciated if the other people who worked on Sonic 1 helped in CD's development with Ohshima?

Sciz

Based on this, is it safe to say that Sonic CD would've turned out differently and more appreciated if the other people who worked on Sonic 1 helped in CD's development with Ohshima?

Mm. Hard to say what a theoretical Sonic 2 developed in Japan with the full original team behind it would've looked like. The story goes that the teams behind 2 and CD talked with each other early on about what the followup to Sonic could look like, which is why both games introduced a spindash mechanic, and why 2 has a bunch of scrapped time travel related content. But the two diverged completely from there, and Sonic 2 in particular was under a tight deadline and a somewhat contentious development environment that kept it from reaching for the same sort of ambition that CD had the freedom to seek.

If they'd all stuck together, I think we'd certainly have still gotten a time travel related game, although assuming they stuck to the Genesis, likely not in the way Sonic CD did it. Probably much the same as the Sonic 2 we know in terms of game design, since Yasuhara would've still been the director. And with Oshima as the art lead, the series would've kept closer to the wild, geometric stylings of 1 and CD instead of trending towards realism the way 2 and 3 did.

Sonic CD probably doesn't even end up existing in this timeline, at least not as anything other than a brushed up port of 1 or 2.

Tizoc

Well here's my list of Top 10 2014 GotY list for the GAF voting, my writing skills are trash so let me know how I should properly write my short descriptions for the games =X

1. Freedom Planet ; Captures the essence of 2D Sonic games as well as a great tribute to platformers on the Genesis. Offering 3 distinct ways to play through the game, it tops it off with a great soundtrack, colorful visuals and solid level design and beautiful backgrounds.
2. Strider ; A re-imaging of the first Strider game, this time stages are given a Metroid-like structure, allowing you to return to past areas to get power ups previously inaccessible. Featuring some great boss fights and flashy animations, this short but fun action game was a thrill to play.
3. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair ; I enjoyed DR2 a lot more than 1, but 1 still blew my mind and was a fun ride. DR2 has more DESPAIR along with having a better cast and like its predecessor wonderful characterization and writing.
4. Velocity 2X ; A simple but fun combination of shmup and 2D action platforming. Speed is the name of the game, and while I doubt I’d ever go for the gold ranking in stages, I still had a blast playing this game.
5. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney ; Featuring a great soundtrack and some of the BEST Court Trials in the PW series, this game was a fun and hilarious romp. Puzzles weren’t too bad, but it being a Layton game too, the story falls apart at the end.
6. Shin Megami Tensei IV ; After a ridiculously long wait, EU 3DS owners finally got the chance to experience this latest entry of the SMT series. To me it is the first SMT game that I’ve played to completion. I really enjoyed the story, and for the most part the exploration, and it had a great array of characters to interact with. The combat system was fun as well as fusing demons.
7. Talos Principle ; It may not be Portal 3, but it’s a cleverly design puzzle game. The music is calm and works well with the stages, and solving puzzles is always a joy once you figure out the solution
8. Guilty Gear Xrd ; Daisuke returns with the latest entry in his metal and rock inspired fighting game. Some of the best animations in a fighter since SF3 3S and Garou, and with a slick combo system.
9. One Finger Death Punch ; It’s a game where you control a stickman and pull off kickass looking kung fu moves, AND IT HAS STAGES WHERE YOU FIGHT WITH NUNCHUCKS; WHAT’S NOT TO LIKE?!
10. Legend of Dark Witch ; This one took me by surprise, releasing for us EU peasants many months after US eShop got it, this game plays similar to the classic Megaman games, but you have a handful or two of hit-points. The boss fights are really challenging, but the one thing I dislike are the character designs, which luckily I overlooked them in favour of a fun & challenging 2D action platformer game.

Honorable Mentions
x. Wolf Among us ; My fav. Telltale game so far, playing it on laptop I was fortunate to experience it in 60 FPS without any glitches, slowdown or bugs like Telltale’s console releases.
x. Silent Age ; Ep. 2 finally released this year and was an impressive conclusion to this game. A short but entertaining PnC style game for iPhones and iPads.
x. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; What’s more fun that killing Nazis? KILLING NAZIS WITH DUAL WIELDING SHOTGUNS!
x. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; Despite what flaws it had it was a fun action game, and I liked the Middle Earth setting. I give it props for getting me read more about Tolkein’s lore, like how Sauron is the 2nd dark lord of Middle Earth. Otherwise, great Orc Slaying Simulator
x. No heroes allowed! No puzzles either! ; Match 3 games are addicting. Match 3 games with RPG elements are even more so. Great for short bursts, it also features a level up system to help you in tackling later stages faster and to wrack higher scores.

Meanwhile Cubot (of all characters) got a little character development over in Boom #3 (of all places).

He kind of makes a good point,
he's comedic relief in a comedy.

Also, all those
sidekick
references,
even Sonic Underground

I feel like Boom is Ian's way of getting out jokes and thoughts he's had for a while now. Or maybe even his own misgivings about the Boom series.
Calling out the "Knuckles being called dumb" thing early, now this.

Jumping straight from a run of Sonic CD into even a single stage of Sonic 4 is so bizarre, with CD it's like in spite of its often nonsense level design it's always fun to bounce around enjoying the sonic physics, then Sonic 4 is like trudging through sludge with gross aesthetics, I feel sorry for CD getting forcibly tied into the 4 episodes for no good reason.

Pietepiet

With the time I have I'd only want to do it as an official SEGA project, honestly. I really can't bring myself to work on games both day and night, hahaha

Pietepiet

Thanks, all!!

...You do know what the last official SEGA project was, though, right? D:

Hahaha. I wish SEGA was more open to an Indie Sonic, but I don't think they'll ever respond to a pitch like that...
Damn it, man. You got me considering the fangame side of things!

Falk

that puzzling face
Thanks, all!!

Hahaha. I wish SEGA was more open to an Indie Sonic, but I don't think they'll ever respond to a pitch like that...
Damn it, man. You got me considering the fangame side of things!

No official Sonic game has ever made front page of Wikipedia.

ATS did.

(how ridiculously random lol)

Remind me why SOnic 1 and 2 Taxmen aren't ported to, at least, PC/Steam?

I'm not actually sure. They're running on Taxman's Retro Engine, which last I remember, was designed to be cross-platform and its original platform was in fact PC.

But for some reason, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore? From what Taxman said about Sonic CD, he didn't even handle the PC version, there -- it was ported by a company called "Blit Software". I believe their logo also shows up on the 360 and PS3 versions.

It would seem at some point, Retro Engine became mobile-only and isn't immediately workable on a PC without additional tinkering.

Which means Sega would have to spend additional money.

Which means they aren't going to do it.

Tizoc

It would seem at some point, Retro Engine became mobile-only and isn't immediately workable on a PC without additional tinkering.

Profound Sadness.

TimmiT

Remind me why SOnic 1 and 2 Taxmen aren't ported to, at least, PC/Steam?

Just a guess but

I'm not actually sure. They're running on Taxman's Retro Engine, which last I remember, was designed to be cross-platform and its original platform was in fact PC.

But for some reason, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore? From what Taxman said about Sonic CD, he didn't even handle the PC version, there -- it was ported by a company called "Blit Software". I believe their logo also shows up on the 360 and PS3 versions.

Pretty sure Taxman got the Retro Engine version of Sonic CD running on PC at least.

TimmiT

No; I seem to remember reporting on the leaderboard display being weird on the PC version and he told me he wasn't responsible for that version.

Yeah, but I'm not saying he made the PC version that was released. SEGA released a port of the Xbox 360/PS3 version by Blit instead. Taxman did get the game to run on PC, but that version wasn't released and probably wasn't meant to be.

It's kinda hard for me to find the post in which Taxman showed this though, seeing how the thread about his Sonic CD remaster on Sonic Retro is 220 pages long. Okay I found it.

Also, I assume that Taxman/Stealth made these remasters first on PC, then ported them anyway.

Yeah, but I'm not saying he made the PC version that was released. SEGA released a port of the Xbox 360/PS3 version by Blit instead. Taxman did get the game to run on PC, but that version wasn't released and probably wasn't meant to be.

It's kinda hard for me to find the post in which Taxman showed this though, seeing how the thread about his Sonic CD remaster on Sonic Retro is 220 pages long. Okay I found it.

Also, I assume that Taxman/Stealth made these remasters first on PC, then ported them anyway.

Ah, so it's Sega being Sega.

Top Bottom