• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Falk

that puzzling face
Ah, so it's Sega being Sega.

Odd thing is like this is the same SEGA that greenlighted Valkyria Chronicles PC (business decision that's good for for low-effort high-RoI) and that greenlighted a Warhammer: Total War game.

I swear that it's as if the company suffers multiple personality disorder (which it does, with SoA and SoJ wrestling the shit out of each other) and is bipolar to the point where they've come to the conclusion that they'll never agree on anything with regards to the Sonic franchise so they just decide to troll the hell out of the fanbase as it's the only possible entertainment left to derive off the IP.

Tizoc

Odd thing is like this is the same SEGA that greenlighted Valkyria Chronicles PC (business decision that's good for for low-effort high-RoI) and that greenlighted a Warhammer: Total War game.

I swear that it's as if the company suffers multiple personality disorder (which it does, with SoA and SoJ wrestling the shit out of each other) and is bipolar to the point where they've come to the conclusion that they'll never agree on anything with regards to the Sonic franchise so they just decide to troll the hell out of the fanbase as it's the only possible entertainment left to derive off the IP.

I find that Multiple personality disorder best describes most Japanese devs nowadays :V

TimmiT

I have the answer to that: all the good stuff is greenlighted by SEGA Europe rather than SEGA America. I'm not sure if they handled Valkyria Chronicles PC, but seeing how it was one of their staff who thanked people for buying it it does seem like they did. And stuff like Alien: Isolation, The Typing of the Dead: Overkill, everything Total War, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed was SEGA Europe as well. They also put out those mediocre Sonic mobile games, but aside from that they generally know how to pick good developers.

Meanwhile SEGA America has been a lot more hit or miss, with pretty much everything terrible from SEGA's western side coming from them. See Sonic Boom, Alien: Colonial Marines or the Marvel movie games. Also, the one time they published a Double Fine game (The Cave) it turned out to be the worst game they had ever put out at the time. They have done some decent stuff, like they bought Relic Entertainment (Company of Heroes/Warhammer 40k games) and Three Rings Design (Spiral Knights). Plus they published the Condemned games. But if something bad comes from SEGA's western side, it's usually from them.

And that is why the SEGA hierarchy is SEGA Japan > SEGA Europe > SEGA America. :V

Seem to be forgetting the complete lack of western PSO2. Not to mention attacking people on YouTube with old "Shining" videos so they could boost the search ranking of their new game, twice.

As for the Taxman games, I think there's some weird contract restriction on Sega because of the Backbone releases. But I guess that doesn't explain the Steam releases, which I don't think are (the now defunct?) Backbone.

Apparently Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Steam (maybe all the Genesis emulations from Sega?) doesn't support the Steam overlay properly. Amazed that's allowed anymore.

Tizoc

Seem to be forgetting the complete lack of western PSO2. Not to mention attacking people on YouTube with old "Shining" videos so they could boost the search ranking of their new game, twice.
Isn't that more SEGA Japan though?

As for the Taxman games, I think there's some weird contract restriction on Sega because of the Backbone releases. But I guess that doesn't explain the Steam releases, which I don't think are (the now defunct?) Backbone.

Backbone are defunct, I wish there was a place where we can get some information about contracts and the like for stuff like ports etc.

Caladrius

Replaying the Genesis games since I'm done with the early 3D games. About to start Sonic 3 & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles.

I ended up liking Sonic 2 significantly more than I did the first time. Stage variety in particular I found very nice. Special stages were murderously hard though.

Looks like you're gonna need to pull off the double post.

Nah, character limit's 20K. (I know this because I hit it writing a boss guide for KH2 Final Mix)

Well it turns out he'd already posted his list even before my previous post here, it was indeed the double which I just read and good times were had by all.
I also know Anth0ny's pain of not truly digging one particular character in Smash 4, I mostly jump around a set of characters I enjoy but I don't really have a main guy, well Ike comes the closest, save me potential DLC.

I did in fact reach the character limit myself when I started adding the images to my list, as such I had to dial back on my honourable mentions and The Evil Within's additional comment which I think tells you everything you need to know about the game in two words!

I think I've only ever bothered to beat two of Sonic 2's bonus stages before just thinking "forget this", it's clumsy enough without Tails blindly running into hazards.

Anth0ny

Looks like you're gonna need to pull off the double post.

Yup. Didn't see that coming.

Anyways, here they are. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, I've been working on it pretty much daily since my exams ended in late December. Somehow it turned out longer than any essay I had to hand in at the end of the semester!

Post 1 of 2
Post 2 of 2

Unfortunately I didn't have time to make any pretty banners (I'm not too good at that stuff, either), so I'm sorry if the formatting is poor.

http://goo.gl/forms/KCIE7QTcYV

EbW646p.jpg

Voting period ends soon! Get other gaf members to nominate as well, if you wish.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
http://goo.gl/forms/KCIE7QTcYV

Voting period ends soon! Get other gaf members to nominate as well, if you wish.
When's this due? I have my hands full with SotY so... Gimme a due date and I'll put it on my whiteboard.

BY THE WAY, vote turnout for SotY is low (like 130 people!). I know that a lot of you guys have voted in that thread already. Tell yo' friends, tell yo' fam, tell yo' brehs to vote in this thread because that is far from representative of GAF's ~147400 member count. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=953641

C'mon, sons.

I've tried and failed to bump up the SotY thread every now and then with my ramblings outside my main list, no dice though.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to make any pretty banners (I'm not too good at that stuff, either), so I'm sorry if the formatting is poor.
Every year I tell myself I'll figure out the art of making swish banners, like all self improvement plans it never actually takes off.

Guess I'm going to have to think of a different Chao verification statement this time to keep you on your toes, and I so enjoyed my original one.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
done

I've tried and failed to bump up the SotY thread every now and then with my ramblings outside my main list, no dice though.
yeah, I'll include a questionnaire for the results thread to see if changes need to be made.

Really really didn't help that I got sick at the end of the year and couldn't drive conversation. I feel like it's my fault on that end.

yeah, I'll include a questionnaire for the results thread to see if changes need to be made.

Really really didn't help that I got sick at the end of the year and couldn't drive conversation. I feel like it's my fault on that end.

I don't think you should be blaming yourself for getting sick, unless of course it was spurred by the decision to eat outdated dinner off a filthy floor and something tells me that's not the case.

I know I'm not the only one who seemed to try and keep it that bit more active so I'm not really sure where the problem lies outside of perhaps being something of a lacklustre year for soundtrack selections for some.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Eggman's Japanese VA, Chikao Otsuka, passed away today. RIP.

tumblr_niaf1pZdwt1qbgbeeo1_100.png
Oh man, that's a gigantic bummer. I really liked Otsuka's flavour when I played Unleashed in Japanese, so it's going to be weird hearing Japanese Eggman without him from here-on out since I usually play the games in multiple languages.

He was also Japanese Maxwell in Xillia and I thought he did a good job there.

i have not voted in either poll or thread but my votes are available to buy at the right price
What do you want from me

Nomunations lol

it's like voting for Nomura of the Year
That's an "i"!!!! Just not dotted because I'm laaaazy

What is your Nomura of the Year? :V

I don't think you should be blaming yourself for getting sick, unless of course it was spurred by the decision to eat outdated dinner off a filthy floor and something tells me that's not the case.

I know I'm not the only one who seemed to try and keep it that bit more active so I'm not really sure where the problem lies outside of perhaps being something of a lacklustre year for soundtrack selections for some.
Aha, I got the flu. I had 10 exams last semester, 8 of which being between 8 December and 15 December. So I didn't sleep and I ended up getting sick the week after for two weeks.

Yeah, I feel like this year wasn't that awesome for soundtracks either, but I'd assumed that because of this thread voter turnout would be higher and more varied.

Oh well, not counting my chickens until Sunday.

Tizoc

Yup. Didn't see that coming.

Anyways, here they are. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, I've been working on it pretty much daily since my exams ended in late December. Somehow it turned out longer than any essay I had to hand in at the end of the semester!

Post 1 of 2
Post 2 of 2

No #10? Have you at least played Freedom Planet yet?

When's this due? I have my hands full with SotY so... Gimme a due date and I'll put it on my whiteboard.

BY THE WAY, vote turnout for SotY is low (like 130 people!). I know that a lot of you guys have voted in that thread already. Tell yo' friends, tell yo' fam, tell yo' brehs to vote in this thread because that is far from representative of GAF's ~147400 member count. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=953641

C'mon, sons.

I am sadly too lazy to remember all my fav. Sonic series themes and songs T.T
For that matter only like a handful of games I played this year had any soundtracks I liked, I think off the top of my head:
DanganRonpa 1, DR2, Freedom Planet, PLvAA...and that's it >_>;

Anth0ny

No #10? Have you at least played Freedom Planet yet?

Never got to it, nope.

There weren't 10 games I've played this year that I deem GOTY worthy. Though I missed a lot of the western shit that is getting a lot of praise like Shadow of Mordor, South Park, Far Cry 4 and Dragon Age.

Tizoc

5. Dark Souls II
4. Bravely Default
3. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
2. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
1. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Interesting, just add points to the list when it is up and if it doesn't change a game's position, consider yourself having voted for the list ;D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I am sadly too lazy to remember all my fav. Sonic series themes and songs T.T
For that matter only like a handful of games I played this year had any soundtracks I liked, I think off the top of my head:
DanganRonpa 1, DR2, Freedom Planet, PLvAA...and that's it >_>;
That's why I started working on the archive extra early a few weeks ago! :(

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=953641 First three posts of the thread. I did it because some folks had trouble remembering what came out this year. I'll do some more after I finish my own ballot, but the archive is there for a reason.

somnus nomura
Dude, I've been watching Gackt play Famicom games for months. Sometimes I can't tell the two apart.

Looking at that archive, I noticed that the games I ended up enjoying the most this year were 4 Nintendo games and Destiny. I guess that's my top five for this year.

Top Bottom