• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Hey guys is it time for me to nominate my music choices yet?

Ryan already covered it, but you guys should check out LakeFeperd's first 3D game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQhLZ2avHao

Ooh! I played an earlier prototype of this, and it was really good. The only bad spot was that since you were on an Outrun-esque timer for the whole thing, a random screw-up that took a little too long to correct or respawn meant you couldn't see the later parts of the track, and would have to redo the run again. Hopefully it's not as punishing this time.

Boom's hit rate when Eggman isn't on screen continues to slip.

The episode IMMEDIATELY got better when he started talking.

I think the show has some rule about "there has to be a fight scene in each episode" or thereabouts. Sometimes Eggman's badnik attacks feel like they're just there because they have to be.

Tizoc

Schala, are you for or against Legend of Mana?
It is on sale on US PSN and i've been wanting to pick it up.

Sciz

Found this as I was going through some of my dusty old things today:

sonic_bookmark3yzov.jpg

I think the show has some rule about "there has to be a fight scene in each episode" or thereabouts. Sometimes Eggman's badnik attacks feel like they're just there because they have to be.

Probably. It's dumb, and exposes how cheap the animation really is besides.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Schala, are you for or against Legend of Mana?
It is on sale on US PSN and i've been wanting to pick it up.
Yeah, stump made a pretty good post in favour of it a few years ago. look that up.

it also has one of the few post-Capcom era Shimomura soundtracks I like.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
weren't we just nominating music?

Beef miswrote the ballots anyway, and I had to tell him what I did because his instructions were ambiguous.

Now we know how he won president.

So the Rise of Lyric patch contains a single remade cutscene.

That's... weird.
Everything you've shown from the patch, including missing Amy, is just straight up weird.

I just looked back at the ballot to see if Schala was right, and she wasn't. I didn't miswrite anything! :mad:

Nevertheless, I'll adjust her submission like she asked regarding worst/best.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Why would you remove the things from your game that make it fun with a patch?

pls.

I just looked back at the ballot to see if Schala was right, and she wasn't. I didn't miswrite anything! :mad:

Nevertheless, I'll adjust her submission like she asked regarding worst/best.
Beef, pls. You should've specified even though you told US to be specific. :(

Funny how I never noticed there was a Sonic OT on GAF
UGH I need to get on that Ratchet & Clank OT if no one else will

Well I just beat Sonic Colors for the first time. I thought the first 2 worlds were a bit weak, but starlight Carnival was fun, Aquarium park was good, and Planet Wisp was the best. Asteroid Coaster had some really neat ideas aesthetically, but I thought it fell flat for some reason. Also I hate the frenzy wisp.

Terminal Velocity was just an extremely disappointing final area. I was hoping for at least one fleshed out level, but I guess you can't really do much in that environment.

Eggman and the robots were funny.

Sonic was cheesy

Game was fun

I never really understood why Asteroid Coaster felt a bit weak to me either, it certainly wasn't because of the frenzy wisp though, I love that one.

Hey, there's a Humble Archie Comics Bundle!

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

The weird thing is that it's a LOT of Archie, but there is Worlds Collide? I'm wondering if there'll be more Sonic and/or Mega Man added later, because why would they be there in the first place otherwise, unless Archie has some odd level of control over Worlds Collide?

Sciz

Hey, there's a Humble Archie Comics Bundle!

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

The weird thing is that it's a LOT of Archie, but there is Worlds Collide? I'm wondering if there'll be more Sonic and/or Mega Man added later, because why would they be there in the first place otherwise, unless Archie has some odd level of control over Worlds Collide?

It's their biggest, bestselling story between the two franchises and lets them rep both without adding another volume to each tier, it helps promote the next crossover that's coming up soon, and breaking it across the tiers like that gives people a strong incentive to go straight for the highest level to get the whole story, which helps keep the average up as well.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I know you want Nocturne to win best theme of all Sonic games, but Beef... that can't get double-digit votes. You know it can't. We'd all die.

ALSO I hope I'm not the only person who voted that god-awful GBA Sonic 1 transition as some of the worst stuff ever. Worse than Sonic Chronicles in a lot of places.

I know you want Nocturne to win best theme of all Sonic games, but Beef... that can't get double-digit votes. You know it can't. We'd all die.

ALSO I hope I'm not the only person who voted that god-awful GBA Sonic 1 transition as some of the worst stuff ever. Worse than Sonic Chronicles in a lot of places.

If Nocturne won something that wasn't in a "worst" category, I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Funny how I never noticed there was a Sonic OT on GAF
We've only been here for like three or four years! :V

Welcome. Welcome to SonicGAF. You have chosen, or been chosen, to associate yourself with one of our finest remaining community threads. Beef thought so much of SonicGAF that he elected to establish his administration here, in the thread, so thoughtfully provided by himself. He is proud to call SonicGAF his own. And so, whether you are here to stay or passing through to parts unknown, welcome to SonicGAF. It's safer here.

Sciz

I was thinking about opening up the official vote to all of GAF. For the data I have, it'd be nice to have at least double digits in regards to votes.

Run it twice, once locally, and one for GAF at large, and then you have two sets of results to compare
and all the obscure stuff I nominated stands a chance in hell at placing.

Welcome. Welcome to SonicGAF. It's safer here.

I love that people still remember this joke.

Run it twice, once locally, and one for GAF at large, and then you have two sets of results to compare
and all the obscure stuff I nominated stands a chance in hell at placing.

I love that people still remember this joke.

That's....not a bad idea, actually.

Dereck

What exactly makes Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast the best Sonic Adventure port?

Also, I don't want to play Sonic Adventure on anything other than the Dreamcast.

The problem is that my Dreamcast's laser is on it's last legs, and it only reads games successfully 40% of the time.

But it's worth it, right?

What exactly makes Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast the best Sonic Adventure port?

A lot of SADX's enhancements are really sloppy and half-assed. The new textures and new models make the game look uglier than it actually is by making it feel more dated.

SA1 on the Dreamcast largely runs locked at 30fps, but depending on which version of SADX you buy, its framerate is all over the place as it struggles to hit 60fps (unless you play it on the PC).

SADX's mission mode is pointless, the cameos by Cream the Rabbit are tacked-on, and the reward for doing everything in the game is SUPER underwhelming (a broken Metal Sonic skin for Sonic.)

SADX also tried to fix some of SA1's collision detection bugs, but in some cases, ended up creating new ones because of it.

In short: bleh

I'll never know why I beat those shoddy DX missions, getting the Metal Sonic skin was a least kind of fun when I discovered how fun it was to bypass bits of standard level design with a spindash jump.

Sciz

Boom's generic characters are all terrible.

But in keeping with this being the Eggman Show, I was very pleasantly surprised to see the writers letting Orbot and Cubot carry an episode.

And then completely cracked up over them breaking into Daisy Bell, which is going to go completely over the heads of the target demographic (and most of the internet, from the looks of things).

edit: they're also slipping in easter eggs now (spoilers): http://abload.de/img/sonic_boom_ep_10_eastoje7q.png

There were a lot of good things about that episode (like that "walking back to base" crossfade, Knuckles dreaming, etc.) I don't know why, but much of it fell flat with me, though.

Boom's generic characters are all terrible.

I know there's only so many ways to design a Sonic walrus, but "Oh hai Rotor!"

edit: they're also slipping in easter eggs now (spoilers): http://abload.de/img/sonic_boom_ep_10_eastoje7q.png

Whenever they sneak 2D designs into the background and details, they have way more personality to them than the 3D designs. It makes me wonder what the show would've been like as a purely 2D affair, maybe with Sega not as tight on the reins.

I shouldn't have started putting together the data on an empty stomach. Still not finished. -___-

The top 5 for a few categories are...interesting. Not in a bad way, but certain songs I wouldn't have expected to show up are showing up.

Sciz

I know there's only so many ways to design a Sonic walrus, but "Oh hai Rotor!"

The designs don't really bug me, even if they're none too inspiring. It's how they keep getting written in for the main cast to bounce off of but can't get a decent line at all that's the problem. Eggman's the only character with the sheer force of personality to carry both halves of a conversation with a cardboard cutout on his own.

Whenever they sneak 2D designs into the background and details, they have way more personality to them than the 3D designs.

The egg's actually a 3D asset. You can see it from a different angle early on.

That's generally true, though. A simple 2D texture is much quicker to produce than even a completely static 3D model.

The egg's actually a 3D asset. You can see it from a different angle early on.
...Wow. Okay, yes, I know this. I am talking about the texture on the otherwise mostly featureless egg shape that, yes, is technically made of polygons. Even the 2D badnik faces hanging from the decorations are technically 3D assets.

I was pointing out this, the Sonic heads on the Knuckles cake, and a few other instances of where they slipped more doodle-like representations of the characters in.

That's generally true, though. A simple 2D texture is much quicker to produce than even a completely static 3D model.
I don't understand why you're making this point. My point is about how the illustrated representations of the Sonic cast seem to play more loosely with their designs, intentionally. It's not a matter of speed.

Sciz

Ah, I missed what you were going on about entirely.

Yeah, maybe. This franchise's concept process seems to have gone down some long and strange roads, and I can't imagine anyone was happy with the designs they ended up with. Even for 2D productions, though, concept art and storyboards tend to be more expressive and lively than what makes it on air, where they have to worry about keeping all the artists on model.

Tizoc

I remember there was a bootleg Sonic game released on the SNES that I remember seeing as a kid, anyone know anything about that?

It's probably the Speedy Gonzales hack that gets paraded about as Sonic 4.

Incidentally, Speedy Gonzales is actually a pretty good game.

Tizoc

I just now learned that Knuckles has a jump glitch in Wii U Boom lol.
I don't see how it is in the cartoon though.

It's probably the Speedy Gonzales hack that gets paraded about as Sonic 4.

Incidentally, Speedy Gonzales is actually a pretty good game.

I'll look that up thanks.

Top Bottom