• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Razzer

So, um, kinda really obscure question here, but I don't suppose anyone knows a place to find out how much Jupiter did in the making of Sonic Battle? I was thinking of writing something about it as an honourable mention in the game of the PS2 etc gen thread, and it occured to me that a few of it's features appear in TWEWY. The 2D sprites on 3D background combat, the presentation of cutscenes, and the post game that lets you play chapters in any order to earn secret reports that give context to the story are all small enough to be coincidences on their own, but together I was intrigued, and lo and behold Jupiter are mentioned as helping with character design support on Sonic Battle. Thing is, none of the 6 guys credited are credited as major developers on TWEWY, though 4 had graphical design roles. So if there was some other staff not mentioned or some other connection anyone knew about, lemme know. I realize the chances of anyone being able to help are extremely slim, but I thought I'd try anyway.

A slightly easier related question, anyone know any other games that used that style of cutscene presentation that Jupiter worked on? I'm basically trying to work out if the things I noticed in TWEWY were in fact inspired by Sonic Battle.

I just now learned that Knuckles has a jump glitch in Wii U Boom lol.
I don't see how it is in the cartoon though.

The writer was making a joke. They had already planned a scene where Knuckles randomly flew off into the sky (during his daydreaming), so the writer kidded on Twitter that they were representing the Knuckles jump glitch, even though the episode was pretty much done way before said glitch was widely known about.

G0523

Anyone else read this article from GamesRadar on why Sega should retire Sonic? It's written by their editor who's a big Sonic fan and while I do feel his sentiments that being a Sonic fan is really tough right now (I haven't been hyped for a Sonic game for a few years now) I still feel like there will be another good Sonic game this year.

Sciz

Anyone else read this article from GamesRadar on why Sega should retire Sonic? It's written by their editor who's a big Sonic fan and while I do feel his sentiments that being a Sonic fan is really tough right now (I haven't been hyped for a Sonic game for a few years now) I still feel like there will be another good Sonic game this year.

I don't think I can take someone who believes in the Sonic Cycle and that GHZ is Generations' best level seriously.

Caladrius

I'm 5 hours into the first Mass Effect and this game is fucking boooooooooooring

am I weird or is this game not that great

The first game is very slow-paced. It doesn't really pick up all that much until you get to Virmire when shit actually starts to go down. The sequels are generally far better in that respect.

Anth0ny

The first game is very slow-paced. It doesn't really pick up all that much until you get to Virmire when shit actually starts to go down. The sequels are generally far better in that respect.

Yeah I was gonna say it started to pick up as I got deeper into the game. Slow introductions in games are definitely one of my pet peeves.

I just landed on Ilos now, probably gonna finish the game tomorrow.

I'll probably jump straight into 2, which sounds like the best game in the trilogy.

Anth0ny

I guess you could say that you...gotta go fast.

0464_m2p3f2qx46.gif

Sami+

Huh. I didn't know we had a Sonic OT. Word. I replayed Sonic 3 Complete last month and watched my seven year old niece play through Sonic Adventure on my old Dreamcast I gave her, which really rekindled my interest in the series. I mostly talk about Sonic on SSMB and (to a far lesser extent) Retro, but I'll follow this thread.

Hi, I'm Sami and I love the shit out of Sonic 3.

Sonic 3 > God himself > CD > S2 > S1 > SA1 = Gens > Rush > Colors >>>>>> Everything else

G0523

Huh. I didn't know we had a Sonic OT. Word. I replayed Sonic 3 Complete last month and watched my seven year old niece play through Sonic Adventure on my old Dreamcast I gave her, which really rekindled my interest in the series. I mostly talk about Sonic on SSMB and (to a far lesser extent) Retro, but I'll follow this thread.

Hi, I'm Sami and I love the shit out of Sonic 3.

Sonic 3 > God himself > CD > S2 > S1 > SA1 = Gens > Rush > Colors >>>>>> Everything else

How was Sonic 3 Complete? I've yet to play it.

Sami+

How was Sonic 3 Complete? I've yet to play it.

Best way to play the game - fixes a couple of minor things that hit the cutting room floor, makes the experience as a whole a lot more seamless, and changes a couple of small annoyances. You can play without the changes but I think they're all beneficial - no grating Super Sonic theme (instead you get sped-up level music), you can revert out of super form at will, and you can still use your shields if you have 50 rings.

G0523

It's Sonic 3K with customizable options ranging from which Sonic sprite you want to use, to limiting the types of shields you get down to Sonic 1-style.

I'd link it, but I rather like my GAF account.

Interesting. I've been looking at it and wondering whether or not to play it but I think I'll wait till the remaster comes out.
If it ever does.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
For real. You don't want the PC version's music for everything, do you?

I'm checking this thread in between playing Legend of Legacy and doing work and I still don't see Beef counting votes/nominations. He's going at the same speed of his Majora's Mask 1fps stream over here.

Falk

that puzzling face
The obvious solution is to move 1 and 2 remasters to Steam, then do a Steam and Android-only S3&K Complete remaster with the PC version music.

And then mod the real music in while winking and nudging all the way.

For real. You don't want the PC version's music for everything, do you?

I'm checking this thread in between playing Legend of Legacy and doing work and I still don't see Beef counting votes/nominations. He's going at the same speed of his Majora's Mask 1fps stream over here.
I have a job, you know! Don't make me post bug pics >:|

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
do yo' worst, beeeeef!!

Just go ahead and pencil in Deus Ex at the number one spot on the final list.
haven't seen a lot of deusex mentions yet. Lots of the usuals.

...If I'm voting, I'd probably pick more arcade/PC stuff since that made up the bulk of what I played that gen. :x

So, um, kinda really obscure question here, but I don't suppose anyone knows a place to find out how much Jupiter did in the making of Sonic Battle? I was thinking of writing something about it as an honourable mention in the game of the PS2 etc gen thread, and it occured to me that a few of it's features appear in TWEWY. The 2D sprites on 3D background combat, the presentation of cutscenes, and the post game that lets you play chapters in any order to earn secret reports that give context to the story are all small enough to be coincidences on their own, but together I was intrigued, and lo and behold Jupiter are mentioned as helping with character design support on Sonic Battle. Thing is, none of the 6 guys credited are credited as major developers on TWEWY, though 4 had graphical design roles. So if there was some other staff not mentioned or some other connection anyone knew about, lemme know. I realize the chances of anyone being able to help are extremely slim, but I thought I'd try anyway.

A slightly easier related question, anyone know any other games that used that style of cutscene presentation that Jupiter worked on? I'm basically trying to work out if the things I noticed in TWEWY were in fact inspired by Sonic Battle.
Hmmm... You'd have to wonder, but the thing is that Nomura and his team are more hands-on when it comes to developing a game that they have a major hand in, so if you're looking for a cosmetic choice, it's more than likely up to him and his buds. They probably picked Jupiter to work with again because they worked on Chain of Memories for the GBA.

I don't remember the style being used in any other of Jupiter's games, and you could probably assume that the other games they worked on really didn't have that style. I know that the first Spectrobes definitely doesn't. It's very likely that the way TWEWY is done conceptually is right down to what SE wanted to do with it, what Nomura wanted to do with it, what Kando wanted to do with the direction, etc. The secret report stuff is just like KH games so it'd make sense if it were in TWEWY, too.

If you see anything with respect to it graphically looking similar to Sonic Battle, it's just that these guys from Jupiter probably worked on both games (and Sonic Pinball Party, for that matter): Hiroshi Tanigawa, Tomoki Miyazaki, Naomi Sanada, Yoshihisa Watanabe

...and lo and behold ...
Character Design Support: Hiroshi Tanigawa, Tomoki Miyazaki, Arito Chujo, Noriko Shibuya, Norichika Neguro, Masaru Kuribayashi

I'm going to assume that some of them worked on graphical stuff on TWEWY. I haven't played that game in a while and I can't fish out the credits right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case either way.

OMG Aero

All these votes are getting tiresome.
Can't we live in a dictatorship where there's just one person who decides what the best video game music is?

G0523

Music licensing is the most likely culprit.

You know, I was thinking about that too but then I remembered that Sonic 3 & Knuckles was released on XBLA, WiiWare, and the DS (through Sonic Classic Collection) with the music unchanged. So can the music really still be likely culprit?
And yes, I'm still baffled they're not on PSN.

Oh! I also forgot! Stealth put out a write-up on Sonic 3 Remastered through his Tumblr. (Warning, it's a long read!) There's even video footage of Angel Island Zone and the first special stage. It looks great! But he said that Sega still hasn't given him and Taxman the go-ahead to finish remastering it.

Sciz

You know, I was thinking about that too but then I remembered that Sonic 3 & Knuckles was released on XBLA, WiiWare, and the DS (through Sonic Classic Collection) with the music unchanged. So can the music really still be likely culprit?
And yes, I'm still baffled they're not on PSN.

It's assumed that emulation counts as being the original release, so whatever agreement is in place for the game still applies.

Razzer

do yo' worst, beeeeef!!

haven't seen a lot of deusex mentions yet. Lots of the usuals.

...If I'm voting, I'd probably pick more arcade/PC stuff since that made up the bulk of what I played that gen. :x

Hmmm... You'd have to wonder, but the thing is that Nomura and his team are more hands-on when it comes to developing a game that they have a major hand in, so if you're looking for a cosmetic choice, it's more than likely up to him and his buds. They probably picked Jupiter to work with again because they worked on Chain of Memories for the GBA.

I don't remember the style being used in any other of Jupiter's games, and you could probably assume that the other games they worked on really didn't have that style. I know that the first Spectrobes definitely doesn't. It's very likely that the way TWEWY is done conceptually is right down to what SE wanted to do with it, what Nomura wanted to do with it, what Kando wanted to do with the direction, etc. The secret report stuff is just like KH games so it'd make sense if it were in TWEWY, too.

If you see anything with respect to it graphically looking similar to Sonic Battle, it's just that these guys from Jupiter probably worked on both games (and Sonic Pinball Party, for that matter): Hiroshi Tanigawa, Tomoki Miyazaki, Naomi Sanada, Yoshihisa Watanabe

...and lo and behold ...

I'm going to assume that some of them worked on graphical stuff on TWEWY. I haven't played that game in a while and I can't fish out the credits right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case either way.

Aye, that was my main reason for doubt. I also checked the credits of both and saw those guys. Ultimately, it's probably a coincidence for the most part.

And I'll post in your soundtrack thread, just gotta choose first, hmm...

Sami+

It's assumed that emulation counts as being the original release, so whatever agreement is in place for the game still applies.

Ah, this makes sense. Real bummer though, S3 had the best soundtrack in the series imo - I guess it was a double edged sword.

Anth0ny

finished mass effect. it got better as it went on but... I'm not that impressed.

it's ranked #8 on GAF's essential RPGs list. that comes as a bit of a shock to me. I think some of the games that ranked lower, such as Fire Emblem Awakening, Demon's Souls, Paper Mario 2 and Pokemon GSC blow it out of the fucking water, personally.

Gonna play through 2 and 3 now, I guess. Might as well, I got the entire trilogy for $7.50 during some crazy origin sale and I've been meaning to knock these off my backlog for a while. Also, strangely, I have a science fiction film class and my prof says he'll be talking about Mass Effect next week. Expecting tons of spoilers, since profs tend to give no fucks.

TheOGB

Banned
These songs make me feel awkward and uncomfortable (and those other ones make me laugh, while also wanting to die)

me

and i pick Can You Feel the Sunshine.
Not even the best Sonic R song though. I'm revolting.

Hello Sonic Community :)

This is amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU2BImK9v9w
Welcome.

And we posting Tee Lopes joints now? My friend and I couldn't get enough of Mystic Cave Zone from Sonic 2 HD.

Top Bottom