• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Sami+

3568-mah-nigga.jpg

These are pretty much my exact thoughts on Sonic 3, right down to the fuckin' amazeballs final boss sequence that'll probably never be topped by the series again.

This post is FREAKIN FANTASTIC and needs to be in the OT for the Remaster. NEEDS TO.

This is the best thing ever and I fucking love it. And I fucking love you for writing it. Seriously.

That Sonic 3 post is great!

lol thanks guys, was fun to write

How could u guys pay Sonic Adventure DX: Red mountain theme 2 dust for best level music. It's so good

My man

ibsqETyBqVyof7.gif

So out of boredom I made a post describing Sonic's Schoolhouse in the "Obscure games for well-known franchises" thread, and I'm reposting it here where people might actually care:

SonicSchoolhouseBox.jpg

Sonic's Schoolhouse. It's a game.

The first thing you're greeted with in-game is proof that the film studio Orion had a computer game division (really? Wonder what else they did), and Sonic proclaiming that he is, in fact, Sonic, and that you should click on him for help. He says this in the most obvious woman-doing-a-male-voice way imaginable. (Like, I understand women do voices for young boys and all, because actual young boys hit puberty after a while and can't do the roles they were hired for any longer... but this is Sonic. He's a teenager. He doesn't need a little kid's voice. This just seems an odd casting decision.)

You play as one of several animal characters. Not Sonic, because he's the teacher here. Not Tails or Knuckles or Amy or anyone you'd even recognize, but instead classic characters like Alligator in a Leotard, Monkey Whose Eyes Bug Out, or Kangaroo That Looks Like a Fox. The screen in which you select them has some rather bizarre CGI make them look like animations that rejects from the first Tekken's character select.

tumblr_mfep4zNoI71qkjlt5o1_400.gif

You're then dropped off into a first-person dungeon school lobby with a floor plan lifted straight from Wolfenstein 3D. There are six doors total. Four lead to the actual learning part - two math doors (addition/subtraction and multiplication/division) and two reading doors (reading and spelling). Two more doors lead outside opposite ends of the building; one leads to two more doors which yield bonus games of some sort. One has you running away from Eggman and his Badniks as you try to grab a certain number of rings, which is made a bit chilling given that none of them make any noise whatsoever and your first-person viewpoint doesn't have crazy Quake-pro FOV, so they can easily sneak up on you and take all your progress away in an instant (you lose the rings, but you can't regrab them). The other is a basic Memory game, where you match these question-marks-that-turn-into-statues-of-things aligned in one row with the corresponding question-mark-that-turns-into-the-same-statue in another row.

250px-SonicsSchoolhousePCGameRuralNebraska.PNG

On the other end of the schoolhouse, you get access to a school bus that takes you to a field trip to the zoo (after you watch Sonic drive the bus there down a small forested road at 300 MPH and nearly rear-end the car in front of him while doing it). There, you get to learn all sorts of fascinating factoids about the animals comprising the playable characters. Did you know that New Zealand is just of the western coast of Australia? Me neither, I thought it was the south-eastern. No factoids on hedgehogs, foxes, echidnas or egg-shaped mad scientists, though. That'd be too interesting.

Obviously, you'd just want to dick around with the bonus games, right? Well, tough shit. You need passes to get into any of them, and the only way to get that is to go through the education parts. So buckle up, bronco, we're going in.

tumblr_m6jomv1cfY1r7seyf.jpg

Uh... huh.

Okay, so here's the rub. There are four blackboards in the front of the school room, each with a puzzle to be solved - real basic things like "A, B, _, D" or "6 x 9 = _" for spelling/math, and the names of objects for reading. Correspondingly, either a bajillion numbers/letters hopping around or ballons with pictures floating about are also in the room, to be used as solutions. You have to target the letter/number/balloon you want and then shoot it at the corresponding blackboard - possibly a few times, if the answer isn't single-digit. They've also placed "recycle bins" on either side of the classroom to dump unwanted letters/numbers into. Sonic cheerfully exclaims "You've recycled! That's great!" whenever you do so. This is entirely pointless, as you could get rid of what you accidentally picked up by just grabbing another one.

Of course, the selection is a bit limited in the front of the classroom, so you can go to the back of the classroom, where you get to be met with Dr. Eggman. Eggman doesn't want educated citizens to rule over (despite allegedly being a feminist), so he'll steal whatever answer you were holding on to by ramming his ride directly into your behind, potentially taking from you the correct answer to the solution. This is all innocent enough if it weren't for the fact he's riding a vehicle that looks like it was designed to friggin' eat you.

465392ou1m.png

Anyway, once you answer one of the blackboards correctly, a door next to it opens up to another room, in which you'll find... another blackboard. Perhaps two! Answer those, though, and you get access to a room with neon-colored walls (the color of which you can change if you get close to them and hit the "Use" key) and one of the passes to the bonus games or the field trip. Sweet! Also in one of those neon rooms is a key that lets you skip one of the questions, if you somehow couldn't find it within yourself to answer "Q, R, _, T".

Every question you answer also nets you a gumball. You can get up to 10 per run through a classroom. This fills up a gumball machine, the screen for which you can then print a certificate declaring how smart you are in numbers of gumballs. There's even a cute animation of the gumball machine filling up, but it maxes out at 100 and you get gumballs through the bonus games as well, so who cares.

The weird thing is, it may not even have been intended to be a Sonic game from the onset. There's videos still on the disk of an unused clock character that's in the role Sonic fills in the final product.

In conclusion:

w46uuc.gif
t2xuwb.gif
fdqulm.gif

mckusb.gif
oogume.gif
mckusb.gif

tl;dr: Look, I made a video on the game back in 2007, just watch that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Jesus Christ.

I thought my criticism of the Sonic Pico games were warranted, but nah, man. Nah, that up there takes the cake of being one of the weirder-looking Sonic games.

----

Guys. I can't be arsed to do this right now because I wanna sleep and I figured you all would do a better job at it, so...

Pick three music tracks for these games. first come, first serve, and yep, I'm using it for the Soundtrack of the Generation archive.

Sonic Advance

Sonic Advance 2

Sonic Advance 3

[pretty sure Sciz would want to fix my picks for the Sonic Adventure games, so I'll add this here:]

Sonic Battle

Sonic the Fighters (PS2/GCN)

Sonic Heroes

Sonic Pinball Party

Sonic Pocket Adventure

Sonic Riders

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (PS2)

Sonic Shuffle

(Probably not going to budge on those Shadow tracks I picked.)

Thanks~ It'd help out a lot. Honestly, I figured it'd be right for SonicGAF to do the picks for these ones since we're kinda still a community over here.

Sciz

So out of boredom I made a post describing Sonic's Schoolhouse in the "Obscure games for well-known franchises" thread, and I'm reposting it here where people might actually care:

Hah, I hadn't seen that Eggman comic before. That's great.

No idea how these guys got the Sonic license, though. You didn't have to chase Mario's coattails quite that hard Sega, it was fine.

[pretty sure Sciz would want to fix my picks for the Sonic Adventure games, so I'll add this here:]
OYH and At Dawn are alright, but out of everything else in the game you go for Tricky Maze? psyduck.gif

If you're shooting for tonal diversity, at least spring for Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy, or Mt. Red, or Crazy Robo, or Mechanical Resonance, or even Unknown from M.E. if you want another vocal track.

SA2 is a lost cause and you already picked three out of the dozen or so good tracks it has.

I'll clean up whatever no one else has picked over tomorrow, time permitting (and maybe the Runescape entry since I actually have all the music from that time period sitting around and it's great stuff).

(Probably not going to budge on those Shadow tracks I picked.)

At least ditch the half-baked E.G.G.M.A.N. mix for Circus Park or Waking Up or Lava Shelter or one of the handful of other good tracks that game has that isn't a remix.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
OYH and At Dawn are alright, but out of everything else in the game you go for Tricky Maze? psyduck.gif

If you're shooting for tonal diversity, at least spring for Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy, or Mt. Red, or Crazy Robo, or Mechanical Resonance, or even Unknown from M.E. if you want another vocal track.
WdKCPAi.gif
WdKCPAi.gif
WdKCPAi.gif

I knew you were going to say that. I just asked someone else and they suggested that so I just went with it. Be Cool, Be Wild & Be Groovy was my first choice for that one, actually.

No prob, go ahead with the Runescape one. I was going to do that along with Icewind Dale and a few other things, but more help would be appreciated~

At least ditch the half-baked E.G.G.M.A.N. mix for Circus Park or Waking Up or Lava Shelter or one of the handful of other good tracks that game has that isn't a remix.
I'll pick up Lava Shelter on that one. Thanks.

TheOGB

Banned
what the hell

Guys. I can't be arsed to do this right now because I wanna sleep and I figured you all would do a better job at it, so...

Pick three music tracks for these games. first come, first serve, and yep, I'm using it for the Soundtrack of the Generation archive.
Sonic Advance
Secret Base Zone Act 1
X-Zone
Special Stage

Sonic Advance 2
Music Plant Act 1
Sky Canyon Boss (Knuckles)
Staff Roll

Sonic Advance 3
Twinkle Snow Act 3
Cyber Track Act 1
Nonaggression

Sonic Battle
Emerald Town
Battle Highway
Holy Summit (Crater)

Sonic the Fighters (PS2/GCN)
Aurora Icefield ~ Black Bed
-two more-

Sonic Heroes
Mystic Mansion
Egg Fleet
-one more-

Sonic Riders
Green Cave
SEGA Carnival
-one more-

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (PS2)
Un-gravitify
Aquatic Time
Catch Me If You Can

Sonic Shuffle
Blizzard of Coast
Live on Walnuts
A Silver Drop

----

Sonic Shuffle's soundtrack is so... weird. I mean, the whole game is weird, but most of the tracks are pretty low-key. Makes an already slow, dull game feel slower and more dull. Then you got the wackier tracks playing during the jank ass minigames or the jank ass fights. It's just weird. (Though I guess it's no Sonic Schoolhouse)

Tizoc

Ayo this Brandish game is all kinds of awesome.
...but I've listening to the same track for the past 1+ hour and the damn dungeon looks all the same on each floor :V

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic Shuffle's soundtrack is so... weird. I mean, the whole game is weird, but most of the tracks are pretty low-key. Makes an already slow, dull game feel slower and more dull. Then you got the wackier tracks playing during the jank ass minigames or the jank ass fights. It's just weird. (Though I guess it's no Sonic Schoolhouse)
Thank you so much. I really appreciate that. Just been feeling so drained this week.

Sonic Shuffle is straight-up jank, so at least everything's pretty consistent there! Drummond voiced Sonic AND Knuckles for this game, and the AI felt too smart. Amy's JP voice was different from every other game, too. It just feels like Sega went through with getting Hudson to make it because "we need a mascot party game too! pls pls pls".

To this day it pains me that there aren't official instrumentals of Knuckles SA2 tracks. I've had so many friends wanting to sample Dive Into the Mellow in particular.

Well the nominations were a bit scattered but I don't have much to argue with when it comes to results.
I felt kind of half arsed going for Generations credits but well Sonic credit themes never seem to strike a chord with me, plus it often tends to be main theme redux or stage medley.

J@hranimo

Banned
So I wrote a big-ass post about why Sonic 3 is the best shit ever over on SSMB, figured it wouldn't hurt to share here. Hope you guys like it lol -

Yooooo

You're the MVP! This is my new favorite post :p

Everything you said spot on! I'm glad I popped over in SonicGAF today, for I would have not seen this post.

Also that Knuckles uppercutting Sonic gif, I think I may have found my new avatar...

NotLiquid

Wish I'd have been around to vote.

Bit of a shame not to get some Un-Gravitify rep for best vocal theme but still good results overall. Nice to see Sonic 3 Credits tied at second, I still think it'd cap off the Genesis trilogy better than the medley at the end of S&K.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What is wrong with people who voted Nocturne as worst Sonic track? There was a Sonic GBA track for you to vote for right THERE.

EVERYONE WHO DIDN'T VOTE SONIC UNLEASHED AS BEST OVERALL SOUNDTRACK IS DEAD TO ME
I was saying for a month how fuckin' good that soundtrack is and no one listened to me.

Only three people voted for Dear My Friend so I'm guessing that's me, Sciz, and... ?

What is wrong with people who voted Nocturne as worst Sonic track? There was a Sonic GBA track for you to vote for right THERE.
I genuinely find Sonic Genesis's butcherings more listenable than Sonic Chronicles's butcherings.

I know this is like saying I find one turd smells less unpleasant than another, but that's my reasoning and I stand by it.

So it looks like The Deadly Six (along with the Freedom Fighters) are confirmed to be in Worlds Unite, cux apparently we needed more characters opposed to the ones from both game versions of Sonic and Mega Man, Mega Man X and even Sonic Boom.

Sciz

Best Overall Soundtrack is the only category where I at least respect everything in the running, even if Generations pulling double Unleashed's numbers is completely backwards.

The GBA music is bad, but even then it still sounds roughly like it's supposed to.

Nocturne and its ilk represent a complete and utter mangling of the source material.

Only three people voted for Dear My Friend so I'm guessing that's me, Sciz, and... ?

I nominated it, but IIRC my actual vote went to Never Turn Back.

So it looks like The Deadly Six (along with the Freedom Fighters) are confirmed to be in Worlds Unite, cux apparently we needed more characters opposed to the ones from both game versions of Sonic and Mega Man, Mega Man X and even Sonic Boom.

This is the sequel to the miniseries that included almost literally every single robot master by the end. I expect we won't be seeing other second-stringers like Rouge and Silver this time around to free up the space.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Who are the Deadly Six, again?

Re: Sonic GBA: I gave my argument before. I can just ignore/laugh at Sonic Chronicles. But perhaps it was Beef who did this to me.

TheOGB

Banned
Open Your Heart was robbed
Pumpkin Hill was robbed
Stranger in Moscow was robbed
Sonic Unleashed was mugged in broad daylight and no one helped

I'm calling the police on you people
x16aq3K.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, well... you know... We're still running that Soundtrack of the Generation thread that only a few people in here voted in. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=980801

You guys can totally vote.

...please. ;~;

I'm calling the police on you people

LMFAO

That dude makes me laugh every single time.

Every. Single. Time.

beloved Sonic characters Leader Guy, Fat Guy, Old Guy, Emo Guy, Weird Guy, and Girl
That's every Sonic game.

Village

Who are the Deadly Six, again?

Those guys that were in lost world... instead of other sonic characters you could have unlocked. And would have justified the additions to sonic's movement by having other movement types and abilities. You know those guys, that everyone liked

Thats the thing about rebooting to a more game centric focus, you going to get a lot of shit from the games, even the stuff you don't want.

To be fair, while don't think the aliens were bad in concept they did make the black doom interesting and some of sa1 stuff more interesting.

On the flip side they have been roman Rigns-ing the werehog around.

Razzer

I was saying for a month how fuckin' good that soundtrack is and no one listened to me.

Me, I think.

TheOGB

Banned
Well, well... you know... We're still running that Soundtrack of the Generation thread that only a few people in here voted in. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=980801

You guys can totally vote.

...please. ;~;
Every time I go into that thread I realize how few games I played late to the party I was that gen, but I've been thinking about it enough to give it a shot.

If it wasn't Sciz, it was probably me

Top Bottom