• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Rlan

sonic269-3jpg-8e910f_960w.jpg
sonic269-4jpg-8e9110_960w.jpg

sonic269-5jpg-8e9111_960w.jpg
sonic269-6jpg-294cbe_960w.jpg

Archie Sonic getting down to what really matters - canonizing Sonic 2 on the Game Gear while fighting Segata Sanshiro.

Tizoc

sonic269-3jpg-8e910f_960w.jpg
sonic269-4jpg-8e9110_960w.jpg

sonic269-5jpg-8e9111_960w.jpg
sonic269-6jpg-294cbe_960w.jpg

Archie Sonic getting down to what really matters - canonizing Sonic 2 on the Game Gear while fighting Segata Sanshiro.

I keep forgetting to get GG Sonic 2 on 3DS, especially when it is one of the better GG Sonic games.
How many Mecha and Metal Sonics has Eggman made lol.
EDIT: Wait that's Silver Sonic PROTOTYPE? I always treated the Sonic 2 Silver Sonic as a prototype for Sonic 3 Mecha Sonic lol.
EDIT2: Art is really nice too, but wish younger Sonic had black eyes.

As someone who spent an embarrassingly large amount of time as a kid playing the Game Gear version of Sonic 2, those panels put a smile on my face.

Sciz

If that wasn't good enough, his finishing kick is based directly on a Sonic Battle sprite.

sonic_269f9ubg.png

Never mind that we're also in the middle of a Sonic the Fighters adaptation set in a Sonic Heroes zone in the middle of an Unleashed adaptation, while incorporating characters from AoStH.

This comic, you guys.

TheOGB

Banned
If that wasn't good enough, his finishing kick is based directly on a Sonic Battle sprite.

sonic_269f9ubg.png

Never mind that we're also in the middle of a Sonic the Fighters adaptation set in a Sonic Heroes zone in the middle of an Unleashed adaptation, while incorporating characters from AoStH.

This comic, you guys.
I
really
need to start reading this arc

Tizoc

sonic_269f9ubg.png

This comic, you guys.

Hot damn I never noticed that, on man this'd mean Bean is in it @O@

Falk

that puzzling face
you don't get it do you

the fact that sonic has 2 legs is copied from the sprite

edit:

the real reason i didn't have time to vote

beef and schala both will be proud of me

D:

Sciz

Also I haven't gone picking through any more spritesheets but there's no way some of these other moves aren't nicked straight from some game or another.

Another
Alright fine, I'll go get it now, jeez
Is it Grace and/or Bahn

Jane, or as the artist is calling her, Pane the Copyright Loophole. She has the misfortune of being on the other end of those Amy panels I posted.

edit:
Turns out the artist actually did draw those two as well.

Mind pointing out the references in the first image please? I only recognize a few of them ^^;

StF logo, GHZ sunflowers, Sonic 1 special stage background, Heroes corporation, Zero Gravity corporation.

Pretty sure this isn't the first time that exact pose had been used. I distinctly remember it on the cover of a pre-reboot issue.

EDIT: here it is

Hah, so it is. Hadn't noticed that before without the context bringing it to mind.

Mind pointing out the references in the first image please? I only recognize a few of them ^^;

1. Sonic the Fighters/Championship logo

2. GHZ Sunflowers

3. Sonic 1 Special Stage background

4. Company emblem scattered about Grand Metropolis in Sonic Heroes

5. Dummy corporation set up by Eggman in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, made some of the robots that are playable

Edit: Bleh, nevermind.

BlackJace

sonic_269f9ubg.png

This comic, you guys.

Whaaaat.

I really want another Battle game...

Village

Whaaaat.

I really want another Battle game...

Everyone does

And because we do, Sega wont do it. Dormmamu Wesker shadow needs to make his return. And knuckles "I was doing this shit before chris redifeld" the echidina

sonic_269f9ubg.png

This comic, you guys.

They fucked up the combo

Sonic is a confused franchise
/Real ass Owl

...DAMMIT JC! jobbing to the mods yet again?! I told you to play it safe but noooooo, it's almost as if you are trying to escape doing some splendiferous Game of the Generation write ups.

/Realest of real ass Owl

Dereck

The Dreamcast is dope, my Dreamcast is not. My laser only reads game sucessfully 1/7 times, and my disc isn't scratched that much. It's old.

Sonic Adventure DX is doo doo, Sonic Adventure DX on PSN is doo doo, when I run Sonic Adventure on nullDC, there is a bug where Sonic basically runs out of loops and dies. WTF

The Dreamcast is dope, my Dreamcast is not. My laser only reads game sucessfully 1/7 times, and my disc isn't scratched that much. It's old.

Sonic Adventure DX is doo doo, Sonic Adventure DX on PSN is doo doo, when I run Sonic Adventure on nullDC, there is a bug where Sonic basically runs out of loops and dies. WTF

I've never messed with it personally, but you could try Reicast.

Edit: Wait, Reicast is Android only? I could've sworn there was a Windows build...

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
So, just gave Sonic 2 a quick spin again, and it made me wonder.. Has there, in any kind of Sonic media, ever been given an explanation to how Robotnik keeps financing his Death Eggs, massive mechas, robot armies and elaborate world-conquering schemes?

So, just gave Sonic 2 a quick spin again, and it made me wonder.. Has there, in any kind of Sonic media, ever been given an explanation to how Robotnik keeps financing his Death Eggs, massive mechas, robot armies and elaborate world-conquering schemes?

The Sonic X comic did, terribly. I think the Sonic X cartoon brushed on it a little. (I think a Death Egg was Eggman conning the government into giving him a grant to fix the moon post-ARK?)

I want to say Sonic Heroes touched on it somehow (Hexaco, maybe?), or maybe Shadow's game referenced him running low on resources post-Heroes after Metal Sonic wasted his fleet.

Loona

Considering the kind of references popping up in these comics, I'm considering getting the digital compilations post-Megaman-crossover.

Does anyone know if there's some element specific to the NGPC game in any of them?

Also, wasn't there at some point a Sonic Racing Trsnsformed arc with characters from other Sega games and even Danica Patrick?
If so, I wonder how that turned out...

The Sonic X comic did, terribly. I think the Sonic X cartoon brushed on it a little. (I think a Death Egg was Eggman conning the government into giving him a grant to fix the moon post-ARK?)

I want to say Sonic Heroes touched on it somehow (Hexaco, maybe?), or maybe Shadow's game referenced him running low on resources post-Heroes after Metal Sonic wasted his fleet.

IIRC, it's said in Sonic Battle that he sells designs for security robots to finance stuff.

Pretty good side hustle, all things considered.

Sciz

Does anyone know if there's some element specific to the NGPC game in any of them?
None that I'm aware of, but then Pocket Adventure doesn't exactly have a lot to pull from to call its own to begin with.

Also, wasn't there at some point a Sonic Racing Trsnsformed arc with characters from other Sega games and even Danica Patrick?
If so, I wonder how that turned out...

There was a single issue. It's okay. The Olympics issue over in Universe turned out a lot better.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
IIRC, it's said in Sonic Battle that he sells designs for security robots to finance stuff.

Pretty good side hustle, all things considered.

Must be making a pretty mint on security robots then, as all those space stations and giant mechas can't be cheap considering he's been at it for over 20 years by now :p

Loona

None that I'm aware of, but then Pocket Adventure doesn't exactly have a lot to pull from to call its own to begin with.

From what I managed to research, it does have a few unique bosses, although for the most part it bridges the aesthetics between the classic and modern games.
Not long ago a Game Gear boss made it to the comic, so I wonder...

There was a single issue. It's okay. The Olympics issue over in Universe turned out a lot better.

Pre-reboot, I guess?

For the Olympics stuff, basically referencing the Mario crossover games without the Mario characters?...

I wonder how they manage to sneak in these sports events as comics when for the most part the story revolves around the whole "freedom fighters" thing, which seems more serious...

Sciz

Pre-reboot, I guess?

For the Olympics stuff, basically referencing the Mario crossover games without the Mario characters?...

I wonder how they manage to sneak in these sports events as comics when for the most part the story revolves around the whole "freedom fighters" thing, which seems more serious...

Yes and yes.

Both stories got shuffled into an alternate universe just like all the other Sega-mandated game tie-in stories.

Anth0ny

I just won a copy of Final Fantasy VII off ebay for $17 CAD (which is about $14 US).

Besides the fact that I'm shocked that I actually won that auction (the game tends to go for $25 at the very lowest), this is going to be my first time playing Final Fantasy VII.

I can't imagine it will live up to the hype. Thought I'm trying to keep my expectations in check. I played FFI on PSP and loved it. I'm most of the way through FFIV on SNES and currently enjoying it even more than I. I have a FFVI cartridge waiting to be played. After that, I'll be tackling VII.

I feel like I'm going to have a lot to say about that game. Final Fantasy was always the series I didn't quite understand the appeal of as a kid, since I grew up on a Genesis, then a N64. VII was all the rage back then, and I was like... "I'm good. I got Mario 64 and Smash Bros. Playstation is lame."

Looking forward to it :)

I just won a copy of Final Fantasy VII off ebay for $17 CAD (which is about $14 US).

Besides the fact that I'm shocked that I actually won that auction (the game tends to go for $25 at the very lowest), this is going to be my first time playing Final Fantasy VII.

I can't imagine it will live up to the hype. Thought I'm trying to keep my expectations in check. I played FFI on PSP and loved it. I'm most of the way through FFIV on SNES and currently enjoying it even more than I. I have a FFVI cartridge waiting to be played. After that, I'll be tackling VII.

I feel like I'm going to have a lot to say about that game. Final Fantasy was always the series I didn't quite understand the appeal of as a kid, since I grew up on a Genesis, then a N64. VII was all the rage back then, and I was like... "I'm good. I got Mario 64 and Smash Bros. Playstation is lame."

Looking forward to it :)

Warning: You can change the controls, but in some areas you are still required to use the default controls.

what really

that's weird as hell

FF7, for all its (deserved) praise, is still really janky in some areas. The control issue I mentioned only happens in maybe two areas (the Chocobo Ranch, and I...think a non-essential minigame), but it always requires O for Confirm and X for Cancel, no matter how you have your controls set up.

The rest of the game doesn't have that issue though, so you don't really need to worry.

Psxphile

Why would you want to change the controls anyway? O=Confirm/X=Cancel is the right way to play. It's every FF after 7 that got it wrong (in the west).

I think I had my controls set up to use X for confirm and △ for cancel, when I played it back in, like, 2005 or so.

In my defense, X/△ was actually a pretty common setup in the wild, untamed frontier of PS1 control schemes.

Looks good!

======================

As promised, here are the final results of the SonicGAF Soundtrack Poll. Had to upload screenshots because I wasn't able to get one big image link. Lousy Google...

> Egg Dragoon isn't in 1st place
the fuck is this mutiny?

sonic_269f9ubg.png

This comic, you guys.

The way he kicks just looks so awesome, and a nice reference they put in there.

Man, I kind of want another game like Sonic Battle.

Was gonna say there's nothing stating Eggman owns Oil Ocean, but then the US manual does explicitly state it's "Robotnik's refineries".

Top Bottom