• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
He has an ocean full of oil

s2-ooz-summaryimg.png

Oil prices are declining and we'll eventually be moving away from fossil fuel, so he should find some new source of income. Maybe he could build lifesize Transformers mechas for Michael Bay or something.

That said, fired up the demo of Sonic Generations last night (still have to get around to get the PS3 version), and it's so good. It's what Sonic 4 should have been, and I hope they some day make another Generations.

Tizoc

Was gonna say there's nothing stating Eggman owns Oil Ocean, but then the US manual does explicitly state it's "Robotnik's refineries".

Hey man it was the 90s, Oil was gold yo.

Oil prices are declining and we'll eventually be moving away from fossil fuel, so he should find some new source of income. Maybe he could build lifesize Transformers mechas for Michael Bay or something.

Oil is still used to make plastic products no? He can always make a killing from monopolizing on the plasitc used for touchphones, touch pads and consoles, etc. =V

Razzer

Could anyone who was actually using the internet back then because they weren't a smallish child gimme the low down on the community that arose around the GBA Sonic games sprites? I know there was a lot of hubbub about them but I don't really know much detail. So like, why did people like them, what did people actually do etc. Was it making sprites based off them, editing them. I don't really know the first thing about sprites other than the Advance series ones look amazing to me.

Psxphile

Could anyone who was actually using the internet back then because they weren't a smallish child gimme the low down on the community that arose around the GBA Sonic games sprites? I know there was a lot of hubbub about them but I don't really know much detail. So like, why did people like them, what did people actually do etc. Was it making sprites based off them, editing them. I don't really know the first thing about sprites other than the Advance series ones look amazing to me.

What's to know? They were making sprite edits of the originals for some time. Then the perfect storm of new 2D Sonic on GBA + working GBA emulators and/or extracting tools made ripping new sprites so easy everyone and their grandma was doing it.

I'm happy enough with this dinky classic Sonic I've got on my shelf, amiibos mainly appeal to me for the lesser known characters which is why I've only got Ike so far.

Though Mega Man is tempting but my heart was set on King Dedede as a second amiibo only for its existence to be something of a myth even in Blighty, Sonic and Mega Man are the only ones in that wave to seem actually available.

Razzer

What's to know? They were making sprite edits of the originals for some time. Then the perfect storm of new 2D Sonic on GBA + working GBA emulators and/or extracting tools made ripping new sprites so easy everyone and their grandma was doing it.

Fair enough. Like I said, I don't know the first thing about all that so I had no idea how easy or hard it was. Thanks for the info.

NotLiquid

So as the official Sonic twitter eloquently points out, today marks the nine year anniversary of Sonic Riders.

Personally I still think the Riders series embodies some of the most wasted potential the franchise has seen, if only because I still never stopped considering the concept a really fun one. Though really, Riders has always been a guilty pleasure of mine once I got good at the game. There was always something inherently satisfying about styling through tracks on a hoverboard, or even using those skates in an almost Jet Set Radio fashion.

I really wish Sonic Team would be able to put out another Riders game that fixed most of the issues. Thanks for fucking it up with Free Riders though.

I'm happy enough with this dinky classic Sonic I've got on my shelf, amiibos mainly appeal to me for the lesser known characters which is why I've only got Ike so far.

Though Mega Man is tempting but my heart was set on King Dedede as a second amiibo only for its existence to be something of a myth even in Blighty, Sonic and Mega Man are the only ones in that wave to seem actually available.

I know your feeling, as I tried to get Shulk this morning... :|

TheOGB

Banned
Sonic Riders took a bit to really gel with me, but it was quite fun once it did. I still hate how stupid the story of Zero Gravity was, lol.

They were just rad. They were simple, clean, animated well, and easy to get to, so people ran with it.

I remember my first MS Paint sprite comic. It was fucking awful

OMG Aero

I thought Secret Rings was all right once you unlocked the good controls (but don't get me wrong it's fucking stupid you have to do this).
Also if you ignore MAKE BELIEFS REBORN the music is great. I cannot dislike a Sonic game that has all but one of its level music be vocal songs.

Anth0ny

I thought Secret Rings was all right once you unlocked the good controls (but don't get me wrong it's fucking stupid you have to do this).
Also if you ignore MAKE BELIEFS REBORN the music is great. I cannot dislike a Sonic game that has all but one of its level music be vocal songs.

WHEN DOES THIS HAPPEN

the wiimote controls make that game worse than sonic 06. by a lot.

WillyFive

WHEN DOES THIS HAPPEN

What? No.

However, the game does have control problems, but none of it has to do with motion controller, but rather how intentionally laggy the button presses are and how you have to level up Sonic to make him more responsive to button presses.

It's also a radically different control scheme than even before (and pretty much since), it takes a lot of getting used to. But considering Sonic Team was reusing the same framework over and over and over (and did again after), it was nice to play something that threw almost all of that out and came up with its own ideas.

NotLiquid

Unawakening Float not being in Sonic Generations is pure sacrilege

Would have been the most jammy tune to use as music on Sky Sanctuary

HUELEN10

6rAo6Ks.png

These past few days have been, so ugh...; New week, new day, gonna change my way!

Glad to hear some of you got the Sonic Amiibo... I DIDN'T! I'm waiting for the guy who wants Fox in the Amiibo thread to trade me. I technically did get him, but they dropped a box on Some of the Amigos, and he was inside, sealed, in 2 broken pieces. : / Fuck Toys R Us...

So yeah, still on the hunt; I really like the way he ended up looking though!

Melpontro

WHEN DOES THIS HAPPEN

I actually agree with this. I can't stand Secret Rings. Awful control setup, awful level design. Despite the sword gimmick, I think Black Knight was actually a solid improvement, just for getting rid of the motion controls for movement.

So I wasn't really looking forward to Worlds Unite, because I don't really know MMX that well and Sonic Boom is dumb, but then this happened

seems like the roster we've figured out so far includes

• Vyse
  • Billy Hatcher
  • NiGHTS
  • Firebrand
  • Viewtiful Joe
  • something MonHun
  • Nina (from Breath of Fire)

TheOGB

Banned
So I wasn't really looking forward to Worlds Unite, because I don't really know MMX that well and Sonic Boom is dumb, but then this happened

• Vyse
  • Billy Hatcher
  • NiGHTS
  • Firebrand
  • Viewtiful Joe
  • something MonHun
I kept staring at
Viewtiful Joe
thinking "There's no way that could be him, despite clearly being him." Interesting.

Sonic and Sticks look kinda iffy here, but then I noticed the e.huang and remembered Edwin Huang is an Udon guy.

I kept staring at
Viewtiful Joe
thinking "There's no way that could be him, despite clearly being him." Interesting.

Sonic and Sticks look kinda iffy here, but then I noticed the e.huang and remembered Edwin Huang is an Udon guy.

Yah, I don't particularly care for how the characters look there but I presume that artist is just doing a fancy promo piece, and we'll have Yardley or whoever for the book proper.

OMG Aero

nah, they're
characters from other SEGA and Capcom games
So I've been trying to think of Sega and Capcom characters that could be included and would make me want to check this comic out and I realised I don't actually like any Capcom characters outside of Ghost Trick and the Ace Attorney series, and if any of those characters are in this it would probably be pretty bad.

Then I realised that I don't actually like any Sega characters either. I guess some of the Valkyria Chronicles characters are cool and they are included in that weird anime fighting game, but again that either has no chance of happening or they would use the characters I don't like.

Edit: hang on does hatsune miku count as a sega character

How about this: most Sonic characters are garbage, but the comic makes them good and likeable, so it could do the same for, say, Billy Hatcher

OMG Aero

well if we're thinking in crazy hypothetical dream land let's put the gems from columns in the comic and turn them into likeable characters too

HUELEN10

Ugh... Yet another pause in the comics for the sake of helping a lesser series "no offense blue bomber fans".

First one was bad enough! With 4 comics to span out in, this will still be a full 1/4 of a year wasted. :(

Sciz

Wow. The solicits so far haven't hinted at this at all. Wonder how big of a factor it's really going to be.

also play some MMX games

Ugh... Yet another pause in the comics for the sake of helping a lesser series "no offense blue bomber fans".

First one was bad enough! With 4 comics to span out in, this will still be a full 1/4 of a year wasted. :(

Mega Man does fine on its own. This is happening because the first one sold a shitload of copies compared to anything Archie puts out.

Tizoc

• Vyse
  • Billy Hatcher
  • NiGHTS
  • Firebrand
  • Viewtiful Joe
  • something MonHun

Holy crap, this is gonna be disguised as a SEGA vs. Capcom crossover, count me in!

Top Bottom