• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Caladrius

BIG AND VECTOR CONFIRMED
SONIC RUNNERS CONFIRMED GOTY

Shiiiit, Omega, Vector and Metal Sonic playable too!? I'm on board

Wait, do we even know how characters are unlocked?

peace out
6V1AV.gif

Perfection.

TimmiT

Shiiiit, Omega, Vector and Metal Sonic playable too!? I'm on board

Wait, do we even know how characters are unlocked?

It looks like the characters will be added by future updates. So far you can unlock Tails and Knuckles by progressing through the story and you can unlock Amy by getting 10 of your friends to play the game.

Also, for anyone interested, I transcribed the credits of the game: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=33831&view=findpost&p=817951

Caladrius

HUELEN10

I wish you wouldn't have said that...

Whenever I think Vector grooving, I think Argyle.

Whenever I think Argyle, I think Lara-Su

Whenever I think Lara-Su, I get sad.

ShadiWulf

this has been making rounds on the internet

cozqTa6.jpg

good to see Sonic Team is writing the dialogue for Sonic games again. They seem to be the only ones who think their characters should say words like damn.

this has been making rounds on the internet

cozqTa6.jpg

good to see Sonic Team is writing the dialogue for Sonic games again. They seem to be the only ones who think their characters should say words like damn.

Well, Japanese is also kind of a tricky language to translate from, especially when it comes to swearing. A lot of swear words change in intensity based on the intonation in which they're said.

Like, "kuso" is regularly translated to "shit," but you'll still hear characters in kids cartoons say it. The same goes for words that routinely get translated to things like "bastard," etc.

You could probably blame the cheap translator more than Sonic Team themselves.

ShadiWulf

I think Sonic Team knows that they are intentionally making their characters say damn

Rating Summary: This is a racing game in which players compete with Sonic the Hedgehog and other characters from the SEGA universe. As players speed through each themed track, they can bump into other vehicles and use various power-ups (e.g., firecrackers, cyclones, puffer fish, snowballs, bee swarms) to impede opponents' progress; some projectiles result in colorful explosions, and vehicles often spin out or flip into the air when hit. In one battleship-themed level, realistic explosions can be seen in the background; another racetrack contains giant spider hazards that emit splashes of green liquid when struck. One character says “damn” during gameplay.

All joking aside, I had a quick check and it's potty mouth Shadow doing all the 'Damn!' speech :p

---
S0L
---

oh, and shadow the hedgehog. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7VpN2K1ytA

i personally don't see anything wrong with Sonic characters saying damn. its a creative decision by Sonic Team. i know it bothers some people though.

I think Sonic Team knows that they are intentionally making their characters say damn

oh, and shadow the hedgehog. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7VpN2K1ytA

i personally don't see anything wrong with Sonic characters saying damn. its a creative decision by Sonic Team. i know it bothers some people though.

But in that regard, all of the potty-mouth dialog in that game was because they were lifting voice clips from Shadow the Hedgehog, a game intended to be "dark" and "edgy."

I'm willing to bet this instance is just a sloppy translation. Sega's always been one of the more engrish-y companies out there.

TheOGB

Banned
SO UH

Sonic Adventure 2 got 13th place in Soundtrack of the Generation, how do y'all feel about that? Hey Schala, did anybody vote for Sonic Heroes?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SO UH

Sonic Adventure 2 got 13th place in Soundtrack of the Generation, how do y'all feel about that? Hey Schala, did anybody vote for Sonic Heroes?
Sonic Advance: 0 points, 1 honourable mention
Sonic Advance 2: 1 point, 1 honourable mention
Sonic Advance 3: 0 points, 1 honourable mention
Sonic Adventure: 35 points, 5 honourable mentions
Sonic Adventure 2: 71 points, 1 honourable mention
Sonic Battle: 0 points, 1 honourable mention
Sonic Heroes: 14 points, 1 honourable mention

I know Sciz ain't gonna like that!

Anth0ny

13th?

SHOULD HAVE BEEN WAY HIGHER

Can't believe I wrote over 10,000 words between the GOTG posts and SOTG posts. All in less than a week too. I wish I had the capability to write essays that quickly. I have a 4000 word essay due next Monday that seems insurmountable right now ._.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
so when's the non-Japanese soundtrack of the generation thread starting up
AniHawk said he's not ready to do a last gen generation thread yet, and I'm not ready to do any voting thread right now.

But these are the ones I think people wanted to know about:

Halo: Combat Evolved: 83
Halo 2: 41
Sid Meier's Civilization 4: 37
God of War II: 35
Beyond Good & Evil: 28
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas: 28
Half-Life 2: 28
Deus Ex: 26
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind: 23
World of Warcraft: 18
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City : 17
EVE Online: 15
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3: 15
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory: 14
Sim City 4: 13
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura: 10
Donkey Kong Country 3 GBA: 9
God of War: 9
Myst IV: 9
Myst III: 8
Ratchet & Clank : 8
The Sims 2: 8
Advent Rising: 7
Age of Empires III: 7
Diablo II: 7
Guild Wars: 7
Age of Empires II: The Conquerers: 6
Crash Twinsanity: 6
Deus Ex: Invisible War: 6
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem: 6
Project Gotham Racing: 5
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: 5
Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy: 4
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (DC) 4
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal: 4
Stronghold : 4
Timesplitters 2: 4
Unreal Tournament: 4
Amplitude: 3
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth: 3
Crazy Taxi: 3
Alone in the Dark 4: The New Nightmare: 2
Headhunter: 2
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2: 2
Sly 2: 2
Darwinia: 1
Max Payne: 1
Medieval: Total War: 1
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando: 1

AniHawk

now that i understand all the work that goes into these things these days (there's a lot more to it than when i ran the goty threads), i'll be ready to do a generation 5 vote some other time. earliest would be this summer... after the convention season. maybe august?

i think the latest could be even january-february 2016. and then do gen 7 a year after that.
and gen 8 a year after that

going further back than the psx/n64/saturn era is probably going to have very low participation. i don't think there will be a lot of people for gen 5 anyway, but hopefully people in communities can tell people about the threads.

HUELEN10

now that i understand all the work that goes into these things these days (there's a lot more to it than when i ran the goty threads), i'll be ready to do a generation 5 vote some other time. earliest would be this summer... after the convention season. maybe august?

i think the latest could be even january-february 2016. and then do gen 7 a year after that.

going further back than the psx/n64/saturn era is probably going to have very low participation. i don't think there will be a lot of people for gen 5 anyway, but hopefully people in communities can tell people about the threads.

I would participate/offer help for a 4th-gen thread in a heartbeat

Falk

that puzzling face
I have PTSD deciding on the best soundtrack in a given year. Threads about an entire generation pretty much hospitalize me.

I honestly couldn't find the time to try and figure out the best soundtrack for the entire generation, since I knew that'd take me, like, days just to fathom.

HUELEN10

7th-gen is a no-brainer for me as far as my top 5 go...

Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Rush, Excitebike: World Rally, Super Mario Galaxy, & Super Smash Bros Brawl

Anth0ny

7th gen is weird for me because I don't think I can name 10 games that I truly deem "classic" from last gen...

These 6 for sure:

Dark Souls
Galaxy
Galaxy 2
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Street Fighter IV
Megaman 9

I can think of a couple on the cusp.

Gen 5 on the other hand? shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Pretty sure I'd break three posts with my write ups on that one. It will be incredibly difficult to make a top 10 from N64, PS1, Saturn and I'm guessing GBC.

TheOGB

Banned
Gen 5 is easy for me. Crash 2, 3 and CTR cover most of my Top 5 :p

Actually, I could probably think of quite a few more games that would bump Crash 3 down towards the bottom/off the list. PS1/GBC gen was awesome.

7th-gen is a no-brainer for me as far as my top 5 go...

Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Rush, Excitebike: World Rally, Super Mario Galaxy, & Super Smash Bros Brawl

7th gen is weird for me because I don't think I can name 10 games that I truly deem "classic" from last gen...

These 6 for sure:

Dark Souls
Galaxy
Galaxy 2
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Street Fighter IV
Megaman 9

I can think of a couple on the cusp.
Even between the two of these, we're still missing Xenoblade (which personally tops my list), Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (seriously guys?), Skyrim, Portal and Portal 2, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, the Ace Attorney series (up to Investigations 2), the Professor Layton series, Mario & Luigi 2 and 3, Mega Man 10, Nier, The World Ends With You, Final Fantasy XIII (assuming that had good music, didn't play it), Borderlands, Assassin's Creed, Bayonetta, No More Heroes, Sonic 2006 (shitty game, but I love its soundtrack)... and whatever else is on that "Iconic Gen 7 tunes" playlist Schala colloborated with Twitter on a week or so ago that I neglected to mention.

7th gen soundtracks will be a madhouse, it makes the recent music vote look like a breeze for me.

when we do the 360/PS3/Wii SOTG thread

I expect there to be much more western representation for the last gen games/soundtrack of the generation threads.
Indies alone should help boost that one on the western front.
Also it is just me or are most of the people who tend to gripe about the lack of western soundtracks also the people that never actually vote?

Summer for Gen 5 will give me enough time to recharge the batteries, outside of my main favourites I'm actually not sure how my list ends up for that one.
Aside from the thrillingly exciting pick of OoT as my number 1.

I get the feeling that the soundtrack and game rankings will align for at least half of them.
Well I better push through these PS1 classics I have on my vita, some nonsense about Bandicoot racing that OGB may have mentioned once or twice and this Suiko-something that I think someone here really likes.

Sonic Heroes has Frog Forest you heathens

It's uncanny that the few good stages in heroes also have the better music.
See also Ocean Palace and umm...I'm sure there were others.

Caladrius

I shoulda voted. :x

Gen V OST: Paper Mario
Gen VI OST: Sonic Adventure 2
Gen VII OST :Madworld

It's uncanny that the few good stages in heroes also have the better music.
See also Ocean Palace and umm...I'm sure there were others.

Egg Fleet? Least that was the highlight of the game for me. I'd love to see an updated take on that.

Top Bottom