• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Egg Fleet? Least that was the highlight of the game for me. I'd love to see an updated take on that.
Only main problem I have with that stage is how it effectively repeats itself, like they needed to make the stage twice as long and just reused what they already had.
Otherwise it's one of the stronger ones I'd agree.

Razzer

Only main problem I have with that stage is how it effectively repeats itself, like they needed to make the stage twice as long and just reused what they already had.

Repetition in Sonic Heroes? I'm so shocked I spit out my coffee.

I think they thought they were going for a Two Acts and Boss thing like Sonic 2/3

or they just had so many assets and they needed to use them mothafuckas

Caladrius

I'd say that's fair. Couldn't help but notice that when replaying it. (Especially with Team Best Dark)
I think they thought they were going for a Two Acts and Boss thing like Sonic 2/3

or they just had so many assets and they needed to use them mothafuckas

If they had more assets they would have used 'em on more proper levels as opposed to the repeats we got. Level select structure is def. based off of 1/2/3, but the level length is stretching out what art assets they had more than anything else.

I'm kind of curious as to how the dev cycle went for Heroes, come to think of it.

Y'know, I kind of wonder why they started putting bosses in their own acts instead of hiding them at the end of the last full act. I kinda preferred the latter.

I mean, I think only Sonic [1], 2, 3&K and Advance actually put the bosses at the end of full-length acts; [1 MS/GG], 2 [MS/GG], Chaos, Triple Trouble, CD, 3D Blast, Advance 2, Advance 3, Rush and 4: Episode 1 all had the bosses in separate levels. (I imagine Blast, Rush Adventure, Colors [DS] and 4: Episode 2 did as well, but I haven't played those.)

In some cases the boss act works out as I can play through all the main stages without faffing around with the potentially lackluster boss fights by skipping them entirely, though specifically I'm thinking of Heroes and Sonic 4 episodes here in the off chance I revisit them for some reason I don't fully understand, thank you level select.

Not to say there's anything wrong with when it's done well like in Sonic 3, bosses there feel like a natural extension and finish to a stage without overstaying their welcome.

Sami+

Getting really restless waiting for the next announcement, lol. Just a single screenshot would satiate the thirst a bit. I hate how damn unpredictable Sonic Team can be.

Getting really restless waiting for the next announcement, lol. Just a single screenshot would satiate the thirst a bit. I hate how damn unpredictable Sonic Team can be.

It'll be at least another six months or more until we see what the console game is going to be, I expect. Sega likely wants to give Sonic Runners some breathing room, and it hasn't even officially launched yet.

Damn, I really need to come here more daily.

It gets even better with this in the background.

http://youtu.be/ysznObMajXk

Oh man, I really love the soundtrack to both this and ATS.

B_AMC5cUQAAa-zr.jpg

sonic team what have you done

He's got the best eggs in the business.

Sonic Heroes has Frog Forest you heathens

The nostalgia! I can't take it!
I think Sonic Heroes was the first Sonic game I ever played...

Regiruler

Over a week since the results were posted abd only now do I realize I wanted to vote for JSRF in the 6th gen gotg thread.

Bleeeeehhhhh

Sami+

It'll be at least another six months or more until we see what the console game is going to be, I expect. Sega likely wants to give Sonic Runners some breathing room, and it hasn't even officially launched yet.

Runners' announcement and subsequent release came very quickly so I expect the next console game to pop up sometime around April or May, like usual. I don't think Runners is really going to affect that much.

Runners' announcement and subsequent release came very quickly so I expect the next console game to pop up sometime around April or May, like usual. I don't think Runners is really going to affect that much.

Possibly, but I have a feeling that if they're putting Sonic Team behind a game like this, they're trying to push it pretty hard. They obviously have a lot of ideas for events and things lined up.

I also think the next console Sonic would be better served to come out next year, for the 25th Anniversary.

Sami+

Possibly, but I have a feeling that if they're putting Sonic Team behind a game like this, they're trying to push it pretty hard. They obviously have a lot of ideas for events and things lined up.

I also think the next console Sonic would be better served to come out next year, for the 25th Anniversary.

That's a good point, and the only stipulation that really made me hesitant. It's just weird for a mobile game to be the big game for a year, but I also don't think they'd just do nothing for the 25th Anniversary. If anything I think they'll just jump on it anyway and release the game this November with the 25th Anniversary logo.

Also I just realized how analogous the past three years have been to 2003 - 2006 and it's kind of scaring me.

> New Sonic game, how off the heels of a popular and critically acclaimed Anniversary celebration returns to a classic art style and tries to introduce radical new gameplay ideas

> It's extremely divisive, gets mixed critical reception, and everyone wonders why they threw away everything they had before to do this weird new thing

> SEGA comes back shortly after with a weird looking new spinoff that's darker and has a bigger focus on story. Made by an American team. It's shit. Critically panned, Sonic is a laughing stock.

> Japanese Sonic Team made up of people who made the last good game brought together to do this big new game for the brand new PS_ and Xbox ___. Fans wait with baited breath for the game that takes advantage of the generational leap and celebrates the _5th anniversary.

> tfw hedgehog day loop

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

TimmiT

By that logic, Sonic Lost World wouldn't have been announced until at least September 2013 because of Sonic Dash releasing in March. It's just a small iOS/Android game, it's not going to affect the announcements of the big console games. Especially if they're going to release the game this year.

MrBadger

I think Runners is going to have more of a spotlight than Dash and Jump considering it was developed and composed in house. Unless I'm forgetting something, wasn't the only new Sonic game in 2012 the digitally released Sonic 4 episode 2?

SO UH

Sonic Adventure 2 got 13th place in Soundtrack of the Generation, how do y'all feel about that? Hey Schala, did anybody vote for Sonic Heroes?

Heroes was my top vote. As much as I love City Escape, Pumpkin Hill and E.G.G.M.A.N I just like Mystic Mansion, Ocean Palace and What I'm Mare Of more

B_AMC5cUQAAa-zr.jpg

sonic team what have you done

You know what they say, the more the merrier!

Tizoc

OK so here's my list of VC games I plan on getting for my 3DS

Sonic 2 Game Gear
Shinobi Game Gear (this one's good right?)
Gargoyle's Quest 1+2
Toki Tori
Shantae

Any other VC games worth getting from EU eShop?

Wario Land 2 and Link's Awakening are the best i'd recommend from the GB VC.

Prepare to abuse save states for that Sonic 2 GG first boss.

Tizoc

Wario Land 2 and Link's Awakening are the best i'd recommend from the GB VC.

Prepare to abuse save states for that Sonic 2 GG first boss.

Here's the thing I'm used to Jump being the 'bottom' button, if it is in any other location it meses me up, but i will def. get the LoZ VC games on 3DS when they go on sale too.

MrBadger

heh

Peeps didn't like that shadow song Eggman sang. Surprisingly a lot of the complaints in this and a lot of stuff i read on the web were non shadow related. So at least people get the concepts of backhanded compliments, I guess.

I think most of the complaints about the Boom TV show, at least the ones I've read, are from people who don't like the fact that it's a lighthearted comedy for kids and want it to be something else entirely with more of a Sonic Adventure 2 tone, and those are the people Mike is making fun of. Not gonna say the show is immune to criticism but I think it accomplishes what it sets out to do and I do think it's kinda funny.

I do agree that it's unfortunate when a Sonic fan has a complaint and they're lumped in with Chris Chan and the like, though. This is like, one of the most faulty franchises ever and people can't complain about it without looking dumb? Eh.

Village

I think most of the complaints about the Boom TV show, at least the ones I've read, are from people who don't like the fact that it's a lighthearted comedy for kids and want it to be something else entirely with more of a Sonic Adventure 2 tone, and those are the people Mike is making fun of. Not gonna say the show is immune to criticism but I think it accomplishes what it sets out to do and I do think it's kinda funny.

I do agree that it's unfortunate when a Sonic fan has a complaint and they're lumped in with Chris Chan and the like, though. This is like, one of the most faulty franchises ever and people can't complain about it without looking dumb? Eh.

I don't even think mike is even complaining about that.

I think the whole point of the song was

Shadow is popular, lets poke fun at that. I think that was the end of that, and there was a joke about boom slipped in there.

But yeah it is kind of unfortunate that people assume that people who do not like boom are shut ins or whatever. As if the show is criticism immune, boom has drawn some odd lines in the sand. Whats even worse is there are people Schala ( sorry if I spelled that wrong ) Who as far as I know don't want sonic adventure 3. But don't like sonic boom.

I dunno, i guess this why I don't really dig into the bowels of the sonic fandom too much, hell I didn't know sonic radio was a thing untill mike.

Village

Seemed like that one guy took himself, that song, and probably Boom itself way too seriously.

yeah, kinda sounded like all of them did . One of the other guys spouted " the haters are idiots" and i'm like ehh....

Well now i know what sonic radio is

I guess it boosted ratings for the year 20-50% for its time slot.

So it's not, like, a grand slam or anything, but it's doing well enough. I think it was renewed for a second season, too.

oh neat.

OMG Aero

Sonic 2 Game Gear
Gargoyle's Quest 1+2
Toki Tori
Shantae

Donkey Kong (Gameboy) aka the secret best Mario game

Sonic 2 Game Gear
Gargoyle's Quest 1+2
Toki Tori
Shantae

Link's Awakening DX
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
Super Mario Bros. DX (easily the best version of SMB1)
Space Harrier 3D (ok this one is technically not a VC game, but still)
Mega Man 2 (it runs at full speed, unlike the EU NES/Wii VC version)

TunaLover

I recently bought Sonic Lost World, and it beats me the hate it gets, it's a pretty good Sonic game, the free Zelda/Yoshi DLCs adds great value to the package. I think they nailed with the graphic style not being too edgy and keeping old school art with a modern touch... So I wonder why people didn't like it...

Village

I recently bought Sonic Lost World, and it beats me the hate it gets, it's a pretty good Sonic game, the free Zelda/Yoshi DLCs adds great value to the package. I think they nailed with the graphic style not being too edgy and keeping old school art with a modern touch... So I wonder why people didn't like it...
Short version, I don't feel like doing the full one right now.

Its a game even in its marketing that tried to pull the hardest in some type of safe " hey its old school " thing since sonic 4. And sonic generation has classic sonic in it. And in doing so failed spectacularly, and it would be better if they had more modern sonic elements in it tones into it.

Turns out being super classic and not the edgy ruined the video game.

TheOGB

Banned
I thought it was because ideas were all over the place and execution of those ideas and level design was very hit-or-miss

Sami+

I don't mind Sonic having a lighthearted, comedic tone as a "break" every once in a while but I do have to admit I think Sonic Adventure and Sonic 3 both had the perfect tone for the series. SA2 took it a step too far (and it's really sad that they just kept going further and further in that direction with Shadow and 06) but I'm honestly dying for a game that has the spirit of SA1. Unleashed was close but I really didn't care for Chip.

Anyway, I saw a Saturn on sale today at a local shop for $70. Not gonna lie, I was super tempted because of the design alone (God damn that is a gorgeous looking box). What are the best games on the system? Is it worth it nowadays?

Tizoc

I don't mind Sonic having a lighthearted, comedic tone as a "break" every once in a while but I do have to admit I think Sonic Adventure and Sonic 3 both had the perfect tone for the series. SA2 took it a step too far (and it's really sad that they just kept going further and further in that direction with Shadow and 06) but I'm honestly dying for a game that has the spirit of SA1. Unleashed was close but I really didn't care for Chip.

Anyway, I saw a Saturn on sale today at a local shop for $70. Not gonna lie, I was super tempted because of the design alone (God damn that is a gorgeous looking box). What are the best games on the system? Is it worth it nowadays?

I'd say the Saturn has a great selection of games, some are JP only though but maybe with some modding you can play them.

Tizoc

Ok, what's the cheapest way to get Archie comics besides importing? I'm now entirely convinced that I must read them properly.

Digitally, you can get them for your iPad via Comixology or the Archie comics app.
If you want actual books, use InStockTrades.

Definitely, especially if you like 90's era arcade games. There's the Panzer Dragoon series, Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix (It's a Sega crossover fighter with the car from Daytona USA as a secret character. Yeah.), NiGHTS Into Dreams, and a bunch of other things I'm forgetting. The JP library is even more insane though, and all you need to play JP games on the console is an Action Replay (The main one available for Saturn doubles as an RAM expansion cart, which is needed for near arcade perfect ports like X-Men Vs. Street Fighter, and the King of Fighters games, to name a few.) It's kind of getting more and more expensive to buy games for it these days, but you might as well jump in before prices get even more stupid.

The Saturn appreciation thread is a great place to ask around about impressions.

I have a slightly outdated video review over here that explains my problems with the game.

I say slightly outdated because the issue with rings/1ups has been patched.

I've revisited Sonic Lost World a few times since finishing that video review, and every time it makes me more furious than the last time. Parkour is so stupidly implemented, and so annoyingly finicky about what you're SUPPOSED to use it for.

The whole entire concept of parkour is to provide freedom. Before the term "parkour" was widely accepted, it was actually called "free running." It's using your own mobility to subvert the boundaries of your environment. And that's an element deeply ingrained in popular parkour games, like Mirror's Edge and Assassins Creed.

In Sonic Lost World, parkour only gets in the way. You stick to things when you don't want to, Sonic randomly lets go of walls at weird times, and in general the concept is treated with a lot of rigidity. There may as well be big neon signs pointing at things saying "YOU'RE ONLY SUPPOSED TO WALL RUN RIGHT HERE."

It's stupid and annoying.

What Sonic Lost World does with its visual themes doesn't matter if the game itself plays like junk. And it boy does it ever. It's not a Sonic game -- it's a bad Super Mario Galaxy clone. In that regard, I feel like it's really easy to compare it to Sonic 4: Episode 1 insofar as it feels like the kind of game where the developers set their sights on replicating somebody else's aesthetic and then completely missed the target by a mile.

It is a dumb and bad game.

Keep in mind, if you're still pretty early on, like most Sonic games it starts out pretty okay. But around the time you're at the snow world, things start taking a turn for the worse and it's all down hill from there.

What would you recommend? Sell me on it. :)
Do you not mind
retrogames.0012lidn.gif
? Then the Saturn library is pretty decent. Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei for rail shooters; Virtua Cop, Virtua Cop 2 and House of the Dead for light gun shooters; Radiant Silvergun, Battle Garegga, Sokyougurentai, Dodonpachi, Hyperduel, Tempest 2000 for shmups; several Street Fighter/vs. Street Fighter, King of Fighters and Virtua Fighter games for fighting games (as well as several one-off fighters - the console's bread and butter is shmups and fighting games, really); Guardian Heroes, Astal for brawlers; Shining the Holy Ark, Shining Force III, Dragon Force, Magic Knight Rayearth, Panzer Dragoon Saga for RPGs; Powerslave and surprisingly good ports of Quake and Duke Nukem 3D for FPSes; Mega Man 8, Mega Man X4, a frankly-superior version of Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Jam, Tomb Raider, the Clockwork Knight series (well, I like them :<) for platformers; esoteric titles like NiGHTs, Burning Rangers...

A lot of these are Japan-only or cheaper if you opt for Japanese versions, although some of the more well-known/rarer Japanese titles still go for
retrogames.0012lidn.gif
, and certain games are much better in English (like Burning Rangers, where you have to quickly interpret where your navigator is telling you to go).

Sami+

Do you not mind
retrogames.0012lidn.gif
? Then the Saturn library is pretty decent. Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei for rail shooters; Virtua Cop, Virtua Cop 2 and House of the Dead for light gun shooters; Radiant Silvergun, Battle Garegga, Sokyougurentai, Dodonpachi, Hyperduel, Tempest 2000 for shmups; several Street Fighter/vs. Street Fighter, King of Fighters and Virtua Fighter games for fighting games (as well as several one-off fighters - the console's bread and butter is shmups and fighting games, really); Guardian Heroes, Astal for brawlers; Shining the Holy Ark, Shining Force III, Dragon Force, Magic Knight Rayearth, Panzer Dragoon Saga for RPGs; Powerslave and surprisingly good ports of Quake and Duke Nukem 3D for FPSes; Mega Man 8, Mega Man X4, a frankly-superior version of Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Jam, Tomb Raider, the Clockwork Knight series (well, I like them :<) for platformers; esoteric titles like NiGHTs, Burning Rangers...

A lot of these are Japan-only or cheaper if you opt for Japanese versions, although some of the more well-known/rarer Japanese titles still go for
retrogames.0012lidn.gif
, and certain games are much better in English (like Burning Rangers, where you have to quickly interpret where your navigator is telling you to go).

Oh god ok not a fan of
retrogames.0012lidn.gif
LOL. Still, maybe I'll get it with Panzer Dragoon and Burning Rangers. Idk, we'll see.

I always thought of Astal more as a platformer. You don't do much brawling at all; most enemies are defeated in one blow.

Combat is generally super awkward, too

Rlan

I always thought of Astal more as a platformer. You don't do much brawling at all; most enemies are defeated in one blow.

Combat is generally super awkward, too

I've not played Astal, but you basically just walk from left to right. It's kind of like Treasure's GBA Astro Boy in that way - just brawling the whole way.

Top Bottom