• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Took a crack at it:

Side-by-side/Alone

Thanks, but there's an odd green tint for whatever reason. :p

Hopefully I can get a hold of the RGB box itself soon enough. No worries. :)

Edit: Did my shot of it:

ihbb6oHLD99M4.jpg

Guys I've been playing Knack, and it's reminding me a lot of the Werehog levels.

I think they're both just generic brawler....but they both kind of reek of the same mediocrity. Granted, Knack doesn't haven't the same jazzy tune playing every time you fight something..So it has that going for it.

Only if he doesn't transform into a dumb giant lizard monster the instant you meet him

I mean, I'm not as enamored with Neo Metal Sonic's design now as I was in the lead-up to Heroes, but the fact he turns into a dumb giant lizard monster immediately so you don't even get to fight him while he's in that form is still a major disappointment. (Not that I've ever even reached the Last Story in Heroes...)

Only if he doesn't transform into a dumb giant lizard monster the instant you meet him

I mean, I'm not as enamored with Neo Metal Sonic's design now as I was in the lead-up to Heroes, but the fact he turns into a dumb giant lizard monster immediately so you don't even get to fight him while he's in that form is still a major disappointment. (Not that I've ever even reached the Last Story in Heroes...)

It's a fun fight, lizard-ness aside. Also has one of the best final boss themes.

TheOGB

Banned
I kinda love Sonic Heroes' Last Story. Shit gets really fucking dramatic for a second, then goes overboard and loops back to being silly.

Metal Sonic actually being kinda badass: "All living things kneel before your master!"
*LIGHTNING! DRAMATIC MUSIC! THE SAME SOUND EFFECT USED AD NAUSEAM!*
What the fuck is this thing: Ruuaaaaaarrrrgh

"Metal Sonic collected all your data AND the power of Chaos and is SUPER strong! Argh, if only we had the Chaos Emeralds!"
*oh yeah, we have the Chaos Emeralds*
"Don't worry doc, we'll show that creep THE REAL SUPERPOWER OF TEAMWORK!"

Time to go Super Sonic!
These other two with super forms get glowing bubbles.

And of course, breaking kneecaps over a pleasant piano tune.

Beef was probably talking about What I'm Made Of, but I also enjoyed the phase 1 theme for adding to the "what the hell" factor.

Always kinda hated how they tried to push AoStH Robotnik as Eggman's design on cover art and stuff. Like, even as a kid I could tell that that design looked nothing like the in-game character did.

...also, Classic Eggman > Modern Eggman all day e'ery day

Caladrius

It's a fun fight, lizard-ness aside. Also has one of the best final boss themes.

Indeed. A bit on the easy side, though considering how damned vicious egg emperor is, I suppose that isn't a bad thing.

I kinda love Sonic Heroes' Last Story. Shit gets really fucking dramatic for a second, then goes overboard and loops back to being silly.

Metal Sonic actually being kinda badass: "All living things kneel before your master!"
*LIGHTNING! DRAMATIC MUSIC! THE SAME SOUND EFFECT USED AD NAUSEAM!*
What the fuck is this thing: Ruuaaaaaarrrrgh

"Metal Sonic collected all your data AND the power of Chaos and is SUPER strong! Argh, if only we had the Chaos Emeralds!"
*oh yeah, we have the Chaos Emeralds*
"Don't worry doc, we'll show that creep THE REAL SUPERPOWER OF TEAMWORK!"

Time to go Super Sonic!
These other two with super forms get glowing bubbles.

And of course, breaking kneecaps over a pleasant piano tune.

Beef was probably talking about What I'm Made Of, but I also enjoyed the phase 1 theme for adding to the "what the hell" factor.

Sonic Heroes doesn't get enough credit for being a tremendous ball of cheese in more ways than humanly possible.

the AoSTH Robotnik design is so shit

glad that even the comics don't let that shit show up anymore

I find it endearing in an ironic sort of way.

Sciz

Didn't realise Worlds Unite doesn't start until May 27th. And Sonic 272 isn't out yet... ;_;

I'm hooked on these things now. I need dis.

Know my pain.

Mega Man helps fill the gap if you aren't already reading it.

Is the Sonic Adventure on PSN the Dreamcast port or the DX port?

It's a port of the old PC version of SADX, with the DX content stripped out for DLC. Not sure about the technical and content differences between them.

Know my pain.

Mega Man helps fill the gap if you aren't already reading it.

Mega Man is even better (though I think Flynn writes the Sonic characters stronger, for obvious reasons), and I'm caught up on that too. There's been so many nods to MM4 already that I can't wait them to finally get into it... but Worlds Unite is even more welcome.

And that still has another issue to go before WU #1 as well. D:

Dereck

I found the post

A lot of SADX's enhancements are really sloppy and half-assed. The new textures and new models make the game look uglier than it actually is by making it feel more dated.

SA1 on the Dreamcast largely runs locked at 30fps, but depending on which version of SADX you buy, its framerate is all over the place as it struggles to hit 60fps (unless you play it on the PC).

SADX's mission mode is pointless, the cameos by Cream the Rabbit are tacked-on, and the reward for doing everything in the game is SUPER underwhelming (a broken Metal Sonic skin for Sonic.)

SADX also tried to fix some of SA1's collision detection bugs, but in some cases, ended up creating new ones because of it.

In short: bleh

Sciz

I found the post

It's not like there's really a good version of SA1, to be fair.

Mega Man is even better (though I think Flynn writes the Sonic characters stronger, for obvious reasons), and I'm caught up on that too. There's been so many nods to MM4 already that I can't wait them to finally get into it... but Worlds Unite is even more welcome.

And that still has another issue to go before WU #1 as well. D:

It's even worse if you read Ian's forums and see the guys who subscribe to physical copies talking about issues they've gotten weeks ahead of the street date. :(

ShadiWulf

Jun seems to be tweeting about a Shadow themed guitar hes gotten. I guess this is his second Shadow themed one as he calls it SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG II!

looks edgy!

https://twitter.com/crush40/status/599598615863037953
https://twitter.com/crush40/status/599598057169125376

This year is also the 10th anniversary of Shadow the Hedgehog (game). SEGA doesn't just randomly make Jun guitars for no reason, so i imagine they have some kind of reason for celebrating Shadow's 10th anniversary.

I'm sad that I for some reason beat all of that mission mode.

The truly strange thing is I had no problem doing it at the time.
I got a lot of mileage out of SA1 DX, possibly too much.

This is me, but with Donkey Kong 64. I got everything in that game, b.

E V E R Y T H I N G

Item: Five-hundred (500) bananas per level, color-coded and thus only collectable by the appropriate character. These are spent to unlock a boss in each level. Item: Banana coins, used as currency to buy new moves, also color-coded so that only one character can collect each different color. Item: Twenty-five (25) golden bananas per level, five per character, used to unlock the entrances to new levels on the hub. Item: Five (5) blueprint pieces per level, which are worth one golden banana for each handed in, and give you extra time to complete the final level. Also color-coded! Item: Five (5) banana medals per level, one per character, earned by completing a mini-game for each character and used to unlock the Jetpak game. Item: Two (2) banana fairies per level, and four (4) in the hub, used for unlocking items in the bonus menu. Item: One (1) battle crown per level, and two (2) in the hub, earned by completing a mini-game in which you kill a bunch of enemies, used to unlock a door in the final level. Item: One (1) Boss Key per level, usually found by defeating a boss, used to unlock the final boss fight. Item: One (1) Rareware coin, earned for reaching a particular score in an emulated version of Rare's first game, Jetpak for the ZX Spectrum. Item: One (1) Nintendo coin, earned for completing eight boards of an emulated version of the Donkey Kong arcade game. Both coins are used to unlock a door in the final level that contains a Boss Key. And all of this is ignoring the ammo for weapons, the musical instrument charges for special music-based attacks, the orange grenades for shits 'n' giggles, the banana-skin film for photographing (and thus acquiring) the banana fairies, and the crystal coconuts for special movement abilities.

I COLLECTED ALL OF THEM

WHY DID I DO THIS

E V E R Y T H I N G

Item: Five-hundred (500) bananas per level, color-coded and thus only collectable by the appropriate character. These are spent to unlock a boss in each level. Item: Banana coins, used as currency to buy new moves, also color-coded so that only one character can collect each different color. Item: Twenty-five (25) golden bananas per level, five per character, used to unlock the entrances to new levels on the hub. Item: Five (5) blueprint pieces per level, which are worth one golden banana for each handed in, and give you extra time to complete the final level. Also color-coded! Item: Five (5) banana medals per level, one per character, earned by completing a mini-game for each character and used to unlock the Jetpak game. Item: Two (2) banana fairies per level, and four (4) in the hub, used for unlocking items in the bonus menu. Item: One (1) battle crown per level, and two (2) in the hub, earned by completing a mini-game in which you kill a bunch of enemies, used to unlock a door in the final level. Item: One (1) Boss Key per level, usually found by defeating a boss, used to unlock the final boss fight. Item: One (1) Rareware coin, earned for reaching a particular score in an emulated version of Rare's first game, Jetpak for the ZX Spectrum. Item: One (1) Nintendo coin, earned for completing eight boards of an emulated version of the Donkey Kong arcade game. Both coins are used to unlock a door in the final level that contains a Boss Key. And all of this is ignoring the ammo for weapons, the musical instrument charges for special music-based attacks, the orange grenades for shits 'n' giggles, the banana-skin film for photographing (and thus acquiring) the banana fairies, and the crystal coconuts for special movement abilities.

I COLLECTED ALL OF THEM

WHY DID I DO THIS
And just think, people asked for this shit for Banjo 3.

E V E R Y T H I N G

*the shopping list 64*

I COLLECTED ALL OF THEM

WHY DID I DO THIS

In your GAF absence I even had time to delve into self indulgent impressions™ for my revisit, WHY DID I DO THAT?!
I can at least say now that of all the things in the game that comes off as completely superfluous musical instruments may well be at the top, like it's just another type of character exclusive switch in a game filled with character exclusive switches.

Of course I may have just gone mad as of late because It's led me onto Banjo Tooie, the collectathon runs deep in my cursed blood.

But honestly I think I'd have an easier time getting everything in DK64 again before doing all those SADX missions again.

WillyFive

E V E R Y T H I N G

I COLLECTED ALL OF THEM

WHY DID I DO THIS

I really hope the game designer that did this for DK64 does it again for Yookie-Laylee. Just for the fans.

Falk

that puzzling face
Gtd2v1O.jpg

Holy SHIT you guys.

Background info: I'm on an extended personal/business trip away from home with only my work laptop. My policy on this, despite it being a Razer Blade gaming laptop, is considering how much sensitive info and what it's used for (back end for international concert tours, a bunch of work projects I can't talk about) is work-stuff only.

In this case though, Steam and Generations plus modding utils for it are within the scope (since I did the music for Unleashed Project and it makes a great demo reel showpiece) so out of sheer boredom, I hooked it up to the big TV we have over here, and I'm blown away yet again at how good the overall art direction for Unleashed is.

At 1080p60 on a large screen, Jungle Joyride practically sings. You haven't truly experienced Unleashed till you get to play it this way.

Input latency left a little to be desired though, hence I didn't really try speedrunning anything. Just quickly went through all the Unleashed Project and vanilla Generations levels in a casual-mode tour playthrough.

Village

Went back and played the advanced games, because I decided to do chao stuff in SA2 on the wii gamecube thing. And I was doing the thing where you can use a gameboy to transfer the gold and silver eggs from DX so you can breed em with the shiny ones and make see-through chao. One that looks like a ghost it looks sick.

Because of that decided to play the advanced games again.

Pretty good, could go for a new non boom related 2d sonic game on a handheld that isn't just a hand held version of a console game.

Jun seems to be tweeting about a Shadow themed guitar hes gotten. I guess this is his second Shadow themed one as he calls it SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG II!

looks edgy!

https://twitter.com/crush40/status/599598615863037953
https://twitter.com/crush40/status/599598057169125376

This year is also the 10th anniversary of Shadow the Hedgehog (game). SEGA doesn't just randomly make Jun guitars for no reason, so i imagine they have some kind of reason for celebrating Shadow's 10th anniversary.

Oh, how can purchase this. I'm totally into this.

Top Bottom