• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Village

I wouldn't wish the task of penning a followup to the nonsense spaghetti logic that series devolved into on anyone, especially if it has to account for the events that set up the Zero series.
The zero series comes out of it. It was wroth it.

Ian being all meta about his own company in one moment and whipping out great Cubot/Orbot dialogue in the next. Why he doesn't get to write everything Sonic is beyond me.
Sega is trying to block his shine.

Screw continuity, gimme good well written self contained story anytime.
I mean heck Capcom revived Bison/Vega/Dictator twice now, Sigma coming back should surprise no one :V

I kind of agree?
I love continuity, a connected story nowadays is the hot stuff on the streets, internet culture has allowed for easier access into some realms of entertainment and has lit a flame of lore fandom with in a lot of people.

That said, a guy doing a thing and then thing is done, is something to be valued.

Falk

that puzzling face
I don't want to live on this planet anymore

No really

When people say that it's usually hyperbole or dark humor

I seriously don't

HUELEN10

HUELEN10 added to the list.

List of what? The chances that this game are shit, it looking more polished than its predecessor which had a decent/above average consensus, is slim to nil.

No one is saying this is poised to be the next Sonic 3 or the next Sonic Unleashed or the next Sonic CD; cool down.

OMG Aero

So the chances that Sega would announce one Sonic game before E3 but save another for during the show is pretty much zero right?
This is the darkest time line.

CHEs3aWWQAApNT2.png:large

I mean if the official Sonic tumblr promised it wont be as trash as the first one...

who are we to judge

When the game releases and its marginally better than the last 3DS one they'll claim that "way better than the first" was actually in reference to the Wii U game so while still naff they're arguably telling the truth, masterful really.

RK128

Considering the 3DS version was the much better of the two games, I have hopes of this new one being better :). The fire/ice mechanic could lead to some interesting level design and having the entire cast from the start (it looks that way) will help make levels less tedius to explore (if the completion requirements are the same as the first game).

Sanzaru knows what they have to fix and tweak for this one, as they pay attention to issues of past tittles (there is a good reason why Thieves in Time fixes so many of the issues Sly 3 had). With Sonic Boom, they are not only aware of their own issues with their 3DS tittle, but also aware of the 'boom' that was the Wii U version. The point is, they know they have to make a good/great game, and between their past work with the series and the 'toxic' nature of the Boom name in gaming, this will push them to do their best with the game.

If it means anything, I really enjoyed the demo if SC and while I never bought it, the game honestly felt like a Sonic game. That is a hell of a lot more then I can say about RoL.

I don't know if I'd say Shattered Crystal was the better of the two Sonic Boom games. The more functional of the two, I guess, but Shattered Crystal felt like an empty, hollow void. A platformer template they inserted Sonic the Hedgehog in to. It was a completely joyless production, devoid of any kind of love, care, or craftsmanship.

It was a licensed game to a T, the very definition of "we're making this because we have to."

Rise of Lyric might've been a pile of burning garbage, but at least it was an interesting pile of burning garbage. Sure, on the surface it might seem similar in the "take a generic platformer template and put Sonic in it" way, but Rise of Lyric doesn't seem quite as cynical about it was Shattered Crystal did.

Like, Shattered Crystal aimed low and hit the target dead on, whereas Rise of Lyric was really going for something and missed the mark.

HUELEN10

I don't know if I'd say Shattered Crystal was the better of the two Sonic Boom games. The more functional of the two, I guess, but Shattered Crystal felt like an empty, hollow void. A platformer template they inserted Sonic the Hedgehog in to. It was a completely joyless production, devoid of any kind of love, care, or craftsmanship.

It was a licensed game to a T, the very definition of "we're making this because we have to."

Rise of Lyric might've been a pile of burning garbage, but at least it was an interesting pile of burning garbage. Sure, on the surface it might seem similar in the "take a generic platformer template and put Sonic in it" way, but Rise of Lyric doesn't seem quite as cynical about it was Shattered Crystal did.

Like, Shattered Crystal aimed low and hit the target dead on, whereas Rise of Lyric was really going for something and missed the mark.

You... Are not wrong.

I'm not sure that you are right, but you are definitely not wrong.

RK128

I don't know, I 'respected' SC more as it knew it was a Sonic game and tried its best to be one....even if it wasn't close to the quality of titles like the Advance series or the Rush series.

RoL didn't want to be a Sonic game, it wanted to be Jak and Daxter. I wouldn't have minded that....but it failed on that level so badly X(. So, all that's left is how it is a Sonic game....and it failed even worse there. Horrid combat system, blandest speed sections in the series and visuals that don't come close to matching Sonic Team's tittles. Overall disappointing mess that could have been a fun Jak 4 if it was finished and designed right....but it wasn't :(.

Sanzaru knew what they were coming into with SC; a side-project based on the Sonic IP. So, they didn't put their complete heart and effort into like Sly 4 because...they didn't care about that game too much; it was a way to make some more money for future projects with other publishers. With Fire and Ice though, they have to put their A game into the project, as people are coming into the tittle with RoL fresh in their minds; they expect this new game to be just as horrid as that game.

So, (I hope at least) they will feel motivated into putting a lot more care into SC, leading to a fun, solid 2D Sonic this year :).

Again, I enjoyed the demo of SC, so I enjoy their take on Sonic. I just hope they take it seriously as Sly 4.

Village

This may seem odd, but I'm interested in the story elements of this game. I'm trying to figure out where boom is going, the cartoon isn't much indication of much of anything. While funny they don't do much.

So the chances that Sega would announce one Sonic game before E3 but save another for during the show is pretty much zero right?
This is the darkest time line.

Nah man, there are a bunch of people who like non sonic sega japan properties who are currently living in the darkest time line.

While on hand, I'm not that surprised by this and could probably understand why they're going with this...on the other hand, I just don't care much about the Boom games. If it turns out to be an exceptional improvement, I'll be interested, but as I'm seeing it now? just seems to be a licensed throw-a-way.

I'm wondering why Runners hasn't been released yet, I actually want to play that.

...there's seriously a Boom sequel.

...............................why

I'm starting to feel like one of those TLG fans, waiting for a game that will never come.

Village

...there's seriously a Boom sequel.

...............................why

I'm starting to feel like one of those TLG fans, waiting for a game that will never come.

Because the TV show is doing well, I mean it would better if the games were the focus. The last games didn't do to hot, and if the games were of quality and you found profit there, when tv show eventually goes of air, and it will. This branch of sonic will be kinda worthless... because you did the opposite of what you are supposed to do with a video game spawned thing... but eh Its sega i can't stop em.

Cartoon is doing well good form, i have my criticisms, but ey i can see why they made another game

Anth0ny

poor sanic

I thought the first Boom was a Boomba. Not to mention its critical praise being worse than Sonic 06. How the fuck is this game even being greenlit?

I wish they could at least let real sonic
GENERATIONS 2
co-exist with Boom sanic.

Regiruler

I'm not calling the sonic team game AWOL until we still see nothing by this time next week

Although waiting for E3 is atypical, It shouldn't be that big of a concern.

Is that why?

I might have an informative email to write

Well to be honest it seems to be the only plausible reason as to why there has been such a long delay to localize the game. It may be just one way to interpret this but on the official Facebook page for the SEA version of PSO2 there is this blurb:

https://www.facebook.com/PSO2.EN

Phantasy Star Online 2 SEA Page said:
The 1st & Only English version available in SEA region!
Developed by SEGA & published by Asiasoft Online.
http://pso2.playpark.com/en/

I could be wrong, but I can't think any of other reason as to why there has been such a needlessly long delay.

I'm not calling the sonic team game AWOL until we still see nothing by this time next week

Although waiting for E3 is atypical, It shouldn't be that big of a concern.

At the very least it makes sense for the next big main Sonic Team game to not release until next year, since that marks the series' 25th anniversary. Dunno when would be appropriate to announce it given that, though.

Hopefully we'll see something about an Uncolourations 4 at some point.

At the very least it makes sense for the next big main Sonic Team game to not release until next year, since that marks the series' 25th anniversary. Dunno when would be appropriate to announce it given that, though.

Hopefully we'll see something about an Uncolourations 4 at some point.

I figure we'll hear about the 25th Anniversary game in December/January/February. That's when rumblings about Sonic Runners started.

Falk

that puzzling face
You know, watching Super Best Friends play Freedom Planet (And seriously, it's such a refreshing thing to see people who don't suck at video games do a LP on this for once) while singing praises for the game literally nonstop kinda makes me even more upset that Sonic pretty much fell off a cliff as far as 2D entries went.

There was so much potential in the concept/genre.

p.s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9T3mqBuy0o#t=31m watch for a minute from here.

You know, watching Super Best Friends play Freedom Planet (And seriously, it's such a refreshing thing to see people who don't suck at video games do a LP on this for once) while singing praises for the game literally nonstop kinda makes me even more upset that Sonic pretty much fell off a cliff as far as 2D entries went.

There was so much potential in the concept/genre.

p.s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9T3mqBuy0o#t=31m watch for a minute from here.

That was indeed "clutch", the bosses were a high point in that game even if some were kind of a mess with certain characters not adapting well.
The kind of bosses that go from you dying a lot to figuring out the patterns perfectly.

I'm always up for more games that take the classic Sonic framework and try to do something with it because it's not like Sonic himself gets to it that often.

Sciz

Colors DS was pretty ok: definitely one of the better handheld tie ins. Not as good as RA though and I need to get to rush at some point.

Colors DS gets forgotten more often than not, but it really is a solid game. Arguably the best of the three on the system depending on how you feel about the level design and wisp integration.

Going backwards from RA to Rush is going to be painful, though.

Every time I thought about getting a copy of Rush for myself I remember how half the stages have these obligatory slooooow gimmick sections that kill the pace.
I just played the main stages of it and RA through wireless races and that did me just fine.

Pietepiet

I did it, guys. I beat Sonic 06 on PS3.

Honestly? Not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be...It's a technical mess, especially the framerate, but all the bad parts in let's plays seem more because people don't pay attention or are just bad at games to be honest.

Not saying it's a good game, because it's far from one. But I didn't have a "want to kill myself" experience with it like everybody else seems to

Anth0ny

Honestly? Not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be...It's a technical mess, especially the framerate, but all the bad parts in let's plays seem more because people don't pay attention or are just bad at games to be honest.

Not saying it's a good game, because it's far from one. But I didn't have a "want to kill myself" experience with it like everybody else seems to

:)

TheOGB

Banned
It certainly is... manageable, if you know what to expect. I'd assume anyone willingly playing through it for the first time nearly 10 years later (JESUS) knows what to expect, so yeah, that sounds like a reasonable assessment.

RK128

I would have to agree with you; the game is a very bad tittle, but nothing unplayable if you know what you are jumping into.

Some moments from my playthrough I fondly remember (the running section in Kingdom Valley's Mach Speed area was beautiful, as the water track fit that scene perfectly blasting :')) and the games soundtrack has some really standouts:
-Crisis City
-Kingdom Valley
-Topical Jungle
-Aquatic Base
-His World Orchestral Theme

The games soundtrack kept me going on honestly, so that element of Sonic 06 is the best element of the game :). If the game was finished, fixed up and a solid experience, the soundtrack would have complemented it perfectly I think. Otherwise, it is the shining star in a sea of crap :l.

Glad you didn't find the game painful to play Pietepiet and I do agree that the frame-rate in the game is really wonky; 60FPS one minute and 20FPS the next X(.

I also got something that somewhat fits into this topic; a Sonic amiibo :D.

eSHIA1J.jpg

Wanted to get this to fit alongside my Mega Man and Pac-Man amiibo and it feels nice owning this collection :). Now whenever I get a Wii U, I can play as Sonic in both Mario Kart 8 and Yoshi's Wooly World thanks to those skins XD.

Top Bottom