• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Sciz

sonic_unite_tailselxh1.png

Dan Schoening's pencils aren't bad, but, uh

Regiruler

Colors DS gets forgotten more often than not, but it really is a solid game. Arguably the best of the three on the system depending on how you feel about the level design and wisp integration.

Going backwards from RA to Rush is going to be painful, though.
Colors DS loses quite cleanly because of the piss easy boss fights. Ghost Pendulum (on hard) and Ghost Condor are among my favorites in the series.

Ghost Pendulum, in particular, has a fantastic use of momentum, where you must keep avoiding obstacles to position yourself correctly to keep returning the swing. A fantastic element of player choice arises, as you can either try and stay still at the cost of being hit by a passing spiked ball, or use the speed from hitting the ball to go full circle around, and either make the return shot or cut your loss and hit something else. There's also the element of multiple weights, giving a very natural risk vs reward factor, as the largest ball takes the most hits, but by far does the most damage. Hard mode is required to appreciate the fight though (normal difficulty + challenge mode), which IIRC for ghost pendulum is a sol challenge, meaning blaze only. Outside of that, the spikes are a tad bullshit as there's no warning when they appear, although thankfully a ball in swing doesn't generate them, so you don't have to worry about losing a swing to bullshit (though ones passing by are fair game, so watch your jumps).

HUELEN10

Freedom Planet currently has a demo on the eShop. If you download it you get 15% off when the game releases

How do you think I played it? ;)

Seriously though, I have a potato of a computer that could never run it. I am so glad it's coming to U. It better have the underscan removed, or at the very least have nice purple border around the box.

Regiruler

New sonic in 3 hours, let's go.
How do you think I played it? ;)

Seriously though, I have a potato of a computer that could never run it. I am so glad it's coming to U. It better have the underscan removed, or at the very least have nice purple border around the box.
I was telling everyone else, not you.

Wow, not even a peep on Sonic, beyond a momentary nod for the Rio games by Nintendo. Neither it or Fire & Ice is on the show floor, according to Sonic Stadium, and I Fire & Ice isn't listed on Nintendo's E3 press server.

There's always time for a surprise, but I guess they are indeed waiting for TGS. Or just some arbitrary date where they decide to announce.

Bonus points: Why aren't they pimping Sonic Runners, seriously? Do they not know when that game will be made available to the US?

Sony E3 press conference made me a believer again. Announcing the revival of TLG, FF7 Remake and Shenmue at the same time (even though without specific dates) made me start to actually hope and have faith in a possible proper sequence to Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

DO IT SEGA, I BELIEVE.

RK128

Wow, not even a peep on Sonic, beyond a momentary nod for the Rio games by Nintendo. Neither it or Fire & Ice is on the show floor, according to Sonic Stadium, and I Fire & Ice isn't listed on Nintendo's E3 press server.

There's always time for a surprise, but I guess they are indeed waiting for TGS. Or just some arbitrary date where they decide to announce.

Bonus points: Why aren't they pimping Sonic Runners, seriously? Do they not know when that game will be made available to the US?

My bet is that both teams within Sonic Team are working on something; The Generations team gearing up for the 'big' game for next years 25th Anniversary on PS4/X1/NX/PC while the Colors team is either making a Lost World 2 or prototyping some new concepts/ideas for future games.

We know that the Generations team is working on something for a while now, its just that Sega wont announce it until the time is 'right', which I think will be latter this year.

If anything, we are likely to learn about a new Sonic closer to TGS or after the release of Fire and Ice.

Not pushing Sonic Runners is....very odd :l. I suppose Sega is peeping that game for a 3DS/Vita/Console release or something, so maybe that is why they didn't show it off?

Tizoc

SEGA pls.
Give us more PC remasters.
You're making enough bank from your Mobile games.
Also release your Moible games in more regions.
SEGA pls.

Also really wondering if we're getting a Megaman comic based on the new cartoon...

cDNA

Hello

I have been watching videos of roms hacks in this YouTube channelRazon & Zenon
What are good roms hacks to try to play in PC? I am looking for new levels in the style of the genesis games or maybe with some gameplay variations. Thanks

Village

SEGA pls.
Give us more PC remasters.
You're making enough bank from your Mobile games.
Also release your Moible games in more regions.
SEGA pls.

Also really wondering if we're getting a Megaman comic based on the new cartoon...

Sega pls, release jsrf and the other crazy taxi's on pc pls

Also VF if you feel like I don't really care about that one but someone might

Regiruler

No new mainline sonic at E3 was my biggest disappointment. Fire and Ice sounds like it will be somewhat less ass this time, but its not enough.

Hello

I have been watching videos of roms hacks in this YouTube channelRazon & Zenon
What are good roms hacks to try to play in PC? I am looking for new levels in the style of the genesis games or maybe with some gameplay variations. Thanks

That link seems broken. Either way...

There's loads of "[Character] in Sonic 1" hacks that actually change mechanics and bring something interesting to the table, such as Amy Rose and Vector. But the stages tend to be the same.

Sonic Megamix is fairly popular.

Basically, go down this list, read up, and see what strikes your fancy. Be sure to check the Release or Discussion threads linked at the bottom of the articles, as there may be a newer version of the hack than what's up on the Database.

You should probably also give Big's Fishing Derby a shot.

Tizoc

No new mainline sonic at E3 was my biggest disappointment. Fire and Ice sounds like it will be somewhat less ass this time, but its not enough.

Having beaten shattered crystal recently, I gotta say that game just repeated stuff in just about EVERY stage, there was hardly much deviation from what I recall.

Really Sonic games don't need to be overly long.
As I posted multiple times before
Make it a short-ish game, but make it replayable
Make it within the $15-40 price range ($40 only if you have enough content to justify the price)
Base the gameplay on the original 3 Genesis/MD games (& Knuckles!)

Xbudz

I'm hoping the classic Sonic games that are on Xbox 360 get the backwards compatibility treatment so I can play them on Xbox One.

I'm hoping the classic Sonic games that are on Xbox 360 get the backwards compatibility treatment so I can play them on Xbox One.

Oh yeah, in such a rush to play those poorly-emulated roms with achievements tacked on, and not the outstanding Retro Engine native editions...

Tizoc

Oh yeah, in such a rush to play those poorly-emulated roms with achievements tacked on, and not the outstanding Retro Engine native editions...

For the love of all that is holy SEGA, will you port those games to PS4/Vita/Steam/X1 already?

Who do I gotta threaten over SoJ for this to happen?

If we're counting Sonic's years by the released game that matches up chronologically (24 years = 24th game released) then his 24th year is Sonic The Fighters.

Better than last year, which would have been Sonic Labyrinth

Tizoc

So the Sonic Rival games are $2.49 each on US PSN (these aren't the hoverboard games)
Based on what some have said they're unremarkable, but dat price...

RK128

So the Sonic Rival games are $2.49 each on US PSN (these aren't the hoverboard games)
Based on what some have said they're unremarkable, but dat price...

I played a bit of Rivals 2 and its okay :l. Great visuals, some good music and controls that are mostly okay. The issue with Rivals 2 (and Rivals 1) is that both games are just average to start with.

You take traditional 2D Sonic and say "Lets make it a racing game!"......No, why not a normal 2D platformer?

In the case for Rivials 2, it fixes that to some extent by offering time-trails after completing story mode levels, letting you just run around the level without fear of being hit by an ice blast or something.

I thought the Rivals games were terrible. Just didn't like the racing mechanic at all.

Bought SA1, SA2 and Unleashed in the sale. SA1 and SA2 are still blasts, with certain levels just reeling with nostalgic fun. Haven't played Unleashed since it came out. Really want to play the Sonic Levels, but I know what I'm going to have to trudge through to get them all.

Kaworu

I'm playing Generations on Steam and the geometry is missing on the second half of Planet Wisp Act 2 and I don't know how to fix it. I tried the options explained in the Troubleshooting Guide on the Steam forums but the problem persists:(. Somebody had the same problem and was able to fix it?

Speaking of problems with the PC version of Generations, for some reason it's no longer recognizing my controller (which is a wired Xbox 360 controller), anyone else having this issue? Seems to be happening with the PC version of SA2 aswell that I bought recently.

So I played Sonic Adventure DX for the first time in over decade and uh

wow, that was bad.

Wow, that was really bad.

Aside from some cool setpieces (Lost World!), it was mostly only entertaining on a "it's so bad, it's good" level. I've read that apparently the GC ports added in their own glitches and stuff? At the very least I can't imagine the DC version excuses shit like the voices/script ("THIS IS BEGINNING TO BLOW MY MIND!!") and Big the Cat (his version of Ice Cap had me crying of laughter when I decided to explore the level).

Maybe I'll 100% it next summer for laughs. In any case, I'm scared to revisit Sonic Adventure 2: Battle later this month.

Top Bottom