• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Sciz

Yeah, it's been back under production with a clearer vision and better team for a while now.

Love how expressive Sonic is in pretty much any frame that isn't part of the walk/run cycles.

J@hranimo

Banned
I saw this today. I think it's great to see S2HD get a development revival.

http://sonic2hd.blogspot.com/

Ooooh nice. Also looks like they just recently finished all of Sonic's sprites for the game.

Also their wallpapers are so nice, I added them to my laptop:

EHZ_Wallpaper_SA.jpg

Dario ff

Banned
I don't recall this GDC talk being free recently.

Some fun stuff:
Black Knight's Stage Geometry in Hedgehog Engine running on PC to showcase how much Global Illumination can help despite just being Wii geometry. (Don't remember seeing these) He clarifies these didn't mean the game was going to be ported, it was just an experiment to see the benefits of GI on low-detail geometry.

kknXUOF.png
507dwpd.png

mZ4GL1v.png
LDcKbVv.png

Hello there, SonicGAF!

rubypeoms.png
Hey! Glad to see you back at SoA, and more importantly loving your current job.

Village

WillyFive

I was out of state when Sonic Runners launched in America, so TSSZ had someone else do a review for that. Other folks asked me if I was still willing to review Sonic Runners myself, so I posted that over at my personal game writing site:

http://www.bltn.net/post/125137118543/sonic-runners-review

It's rather lengthy! But I think I cover everything I felt was important.

I'm surprised you liked it; considering the negatives you mentioned literally makes the game unplayable and insufferable.

So NerdBlock was going on and on about having a new, exclusive Sonic item in this month's ArcadeBlock, so I bit the bullet, not having gotten one of these things before...

It was an issue of the comic with an exclusive (not particularly great) cover. That's good for the comic's exposure, I guess, but certainly not what I expected.

I'm surprised you liked it; considering the negatives you mentioned literally makes the game unplayable and insufferable.

Unplayable is a bit of a stretch. Streamlined mode murdering my performance was a headache, but I found a work around. The ads aren't that bad. Not enjoyable, but tolerable.

Which, I mean... mobile game. That's the whole point.

WillyFive

Unplayable is a bit of a stretch. Streamlined mode murdering my performance was a headache, but I found a work around. The ads aren't that bad. Not enjoyable, but tolerable.

Which, I mean... mobile game. That's the whole point.

Have you tried Crazy Taxi: City Rush? That's a good mobile game that can provide a great experience even with the standard mobile trappings of timers and ads. Sonic Runners is a huge downgrade from that title.

Have you tried Crazy Taxi: City Rush? That's a good mobile game that can provide a great experience even with the standard mobile trappings of timers and ads. Sonic Runners is a huge downgrade from that title.

I have the mobile version of the real Crazy Taxi (which plays quite well!) so I figured I didn't need to bother with City Rush.

WillyFive

I have the mobile version of the real Crazy Taxi (which plays quite well!) so I figured I didn't need to bother with City Rush.

They are very different games, its more of a modern sequel than a F2P remake. Controls are simplified but the gameplay, missions, and locations are more varied.

HUELEN10

bz0ue6p.jpg

Came upon this "gem" while reading some of the older issues. Guess who wrote it?

Mr. Muh Lara-Su The Enchillada himself...

Some of the older issues had a lot of weird shit. Remember the Wolvurkelbot?

Was wondering if anyone could help me out with this..

There's two versions of Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Amazon as digital downloads. One of them is $2.50 (and 18mb) and the other is $4.99 (and 50mb) . I was gonna get the $2.50 version since it's.. well, cheaper. But I assume since the file size is smaller, it doesn't include all of Sonic 3 & Knuckles..

Also, for anyone who has these downloads, is the music for Carnival Night Zone/Ice Cap Zone/Launch Pad Zone the PC version music? Or the original (lesser) music?

There's two versions of Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Amazon as digital downloads. One of them is $2.50 (and 18mb) and the other is $4.99 (and 50mb) . I was gonna get the $2.50 version since it's.. well, cheaper. But I assume since the file size is smaller, it doesn't include all of Sonic 3 & Knuckles..

Also, for anyone who has these downloads, is the music for Carnival Night Zone/Ice Cap Zone/Launch Pad Zone the PC version music? Or the original (lesser) music?

I'm... not actually sure what the difference between these two versions are. Both are being sold under the "Sega Genesis Classics" banner, which on Steam, is just a Sega Genesis emulator that they're selling. Comes with save state support, smoothing filters and everything like that.

The original PC version was technically called "Sonic & Knuckles Collection" and doesn't work properly on modern computers without a fan-made compatibility patch. What Amazon is selling there is probably just the same emulated version that's on Steam, I'd assume. None of the music is modified in that version, because it's just an emulation of the original game.

Why it's listed twice, at two different prices, is rather mysterious, however.

zeemumu

Jack in the Box used to give away Sonic and Knuckles collection with their kids meals.

I'm... not actually sure what the difference between these two versions are. Both are being sold under the "Sega Genesis Classics" banner, which on Steam, is just a Sega Genesis emulator that they're selling. Comes with save state support, smoothing filters and everything like that.

The original PC version was technically called "Sonic & Knuckles Collection" and doesn't work properly on modern computers without a fan-made compatibility patch. What Amazon is selling there is probably just the same emulated version that's on Steam, I'd assume. None of the music is modified in that version, because it's just an emulation of the original game.

Why it's listed twice, at two different prices, is rather mysterious, however.

Ah okay, that makes sense. Thank you for the info.

That sucks the Sonic & Knuckles Collection doesn't work properly without a compatibility patch. I know I'm in the minority, but since I played that version first I actually like the modified music more than the genesis version music.

I wonder if there's mods for the Steam version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles to change the music to the PC collection music...

Ah okay, that makes sense. Thank you for the info.

That sucks the Sonic & Knuckles Collection doesn't work properly without a compatibility patch. I know I'm in the minority, but since I played that version first I actually like the modified music more than the genesis version music.

I wonder if there's mods for the Steam version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles to change the music to the PC collection music...

I don't think there are mods for that, but if you google a hack called "Sonic 3 Complete" it actually has the PC soundtrack converted to the Genesis sound format as a toggleable option.

It has a ton more options, too.

Actually, there might be a way to get the Steam Genesis emulator to recognize and play Sonic 3 Complete instead of the vanilla S3&K ROM, but I haven't the slightest idea how. You'd have to figure out some way to insert it in to the emulator's PAK files.

Edit: Wow, big lapse in reading comprehension there for me.

Village

Yo

You have a problem with Omega you have a problem with me. He's great.

"WORTHLESS CONSUMER MODELS"

He's actually the most worthless consumer model. I don't think team dark should be a thing that a thing again, and with that I wouldn't mind if omega just went. He's gimmic is " we needed a 3rd " robo ten ten.

If they if replaced omega with shard or now shard emeril i would totally be ok with that. Dude is a WAY better robotmen.

The comic's early run was a golden age.

Thats some odd gold.

3D Sonic 2 was okay I guess, but the Taxman releases seriously spoiled me. I can't go back to pixelated Sonic 2 special stages after the 60FPS, redrawn goodness in the mobile versions.

Shame they're y'know, on mobile and all, tho

I remember an even earlier port of Sonic 2 to mobile phones (like, pre-iOS mobile phones) actually completely redid the Special Stages in full, polygonal 3D. It still played the same, unlike Saturn Sonic 3D Blast's take on the same concept, but it looked mighty pretty.

Shame it never left that version!

Top Bottom