• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

I always preferred the Saturn/Win98 versions of Sonic 3D to the Genesis version Sega seems to act like is the only version that exists. Granted, the changes made won't make you magically like the game if you didn't like it before (you're still making the same awkward jumps), but I at least greatly prefer the soundtrack and special stages.

cEwL3pC.png

I feel like it's probably just me being crazy but I feel like the Saturn version has the best color depth

Better special stages, too.

Village

okay, I'll admit, Worlds Unite isn't as good as Worlds Collide. But it actually shows reverence for the source material it's using, and isn't bogged down by horrendous writing and acting, misogyny, toilet humor, and everything else that makes Adam Sandler a walking bundle of feces. Christ.

In mean in the way of " who is this for " no one knew and everything just flew into eachother, and the results wasn't good. also the source material thing sonic wise... eh i'll get into that later.

Personally the title screen theme's the one that makes me feel weirdly nostalgic more than the Museum theme, but *shrug*

cEwL3pC.png

I feel like it's probably just me being crazy but I feel like the Saturn version has the best color depth

Better special stages, too.
I think the Saturn and PC are on par, although the PC version requires 256-color mode IIRC, so the Saturn version might be slightly higher; honestly don't know. Saturn version at least has those fog effects that the PC version lacks for whatever reason.

Special Stages are easily Saturn > PC >>>>>>>>>>>> Genesis, though. Like, seriously, the Genesis stages are barebones. Pretty parallax effects can only get you so far.

Tizoc

Yeah the finale of the crossover was...underwhelming, the entire thing could've been MUCH MUCH better, but I at least enjoyed the character interactions :p

Village

Yeah the finale of the crossover was...underwhelming, the entire thing could've been MUCH MUCH better, but I at least enjoyed the character interactions :p

I didn't actually

Why the hell , during a video game crossover did I want to see the Freedom Fighters this league of Venus de milo's interact with folk, instead of the game characters, who were essentially mostly removed before it even got started, you barely even get knuckles. And X and Zero, like they don't even really do much of anything, not to mentioned all the other characters fearured that don't really do anything

I will stop myself here, I'm going to write something longer and more articulate. My point is who was this for?

Dereck

I'm playing SA vanilla, Knuckles story and this is some of the most dull shit ever, like the game might as well be called Sonic Adventure with side character padding.

Village

One of the reasons I like SA2 more is that the stages that the other characters play on aren't ripped out of sonic's levels. It gives the world a larger feel even if its a lot of the same assets. Folks doing their own thing

TheOGB

Banned
Is that a hidden portion of Sonic Dreams Collection?

(I was having trouble deciding on what to play earlier, but watching that makes me want to play Unleashed, so thanks for that)

I know Schala frowns on posting "awesome" fan art in here, but I'll make an exception from that in the case of Penders and his little Xeno-Su Chronicles X escapades:

CN4FESKVAAAiT6m.jpg:orig

I'm not even sure what's going on here, but apparently we're watching Space Anthony Mackie (seriously look at this shit) flying around wherever the hell this series takes place all Super Mario Galaxy-like.

TheOGB

Banned
My first thought, other than "what the hell is Anthony Mackie doing in space," was "what the hell is he smiling about saying that?"

Sciz

Given that the armor looks like he took another one of those godawful 3D models he's been showing off, posed it, and applied his own godawful shading on top, I'm going to assume that is the case as part of his continued efforts to avoid actually drawing anything as much as possible.

Falk

that puzzling face
My first thought was

Will Smith???

don't hurt me

edit: in my defense, tiny phone screen

Tizoc

Sigh another month of waiting for Sonic 1 and 2 taxman to be released on Steam and console services...

In the mean time when's Sonic Boom 2 3DS releasnig again?

VLiberty

Sigh another month of waiting for Sonic 1 and 2 taxman to be released on Steam and console services...

In the mean time when's Sonic Boom 2 3DS releasnig again?

I don't think there's an official date right now. I guess late october/mid november.

I'm really hopeful for that one. I'm playing Shattered Crystal right now and, aside from the worst lines ever heard in a videogame, it's actually a good game. If they tweak the backtracking to make it more bearable, F&I could easily become the best handheld Sonic game.

Dr. Buni

I don't think there's an official date right now. I guess late october/mid november.

I'm really hopeful for that one. I'm playing Shattered Crystal right now and, aside from the worst lines ever heard in a videogame, it's actually a good game. If they tweak the backtracking to make it more bearable, F&I could easily become the best handheld Sonic game.
Worse than the lines in Sonic Adventure 02 and Heroes?

Shattered Crystal is not a good game even in the slightest.

It's a super generic 2D platformer that has basically nothing really tying it to the franchise even remotely outside of a handful of "race" levels where you spend 85% of your time watching cutscenes of Sonic racing around loops.

It suffers from the same problems Sonic Heroes did insofar as there's no reason ever to switch off of playing as Sonic until the game explicitly forces you to do so, usually just so you can hit a switch that's just slightly out of reach. Every single playable character is nearly identical save for a single special ability, and most of those special abilities aren't really useful outside of the exact explicit context they were created for. (Save for Sonic, who basically gets a double jump/air-dash that is more universally helpful)

It also twists your arm and demands you collect almost every single macguffin in the game before you can finish it. I think in order to unlock the final showdown with Lyric, you are literally, actually, seriously like 4 emblems/medals away from 100% completion.

If that wasn't bad enough, levels are intentionally set up to discourage backtracking. In order to collect enough stuff to get your medals, you usually have to play each level multiple times. All too frequently they will split in to an upper path and a lower path, and if you pick one, you have to replay the level in order to see the other.

All of the environments are uninspired and forgettable, the robot designs are uninspired and forgettable, and combat is brainless.

The best thing you can say about it is that it is not unplayable. It's not buggy, it's not broken... it's just soul-crushingly bland, like a ten year old licensed game based on the latest kids movie/tv show/whatever. You could probably do worse, but you should do way, way, way better.

Village

So Uh, i'm problably late or something but there is this character poll or something ruby eclipse is starting. Its set up super weird, and apparently folks are cheating and whatever

I know Schala frowns on posting "awesome" fan art in here, but I'll make an exception from that in the case of Penders and his little Xeno-Su Chronicles X escapades:

I'm not even sure what's going on here, but apparently we're watching Space Anthony Mackie (seriously look at this shit) flying around wherever the hell this series takes place all Super Mario Galaxy-like.

*absorbs all this visual info*

One image, one image made my opinion of Worlds Unite, better. Its still bad , but... wow... that

AniHawk

the gen 5 thread voting is coming to a close. make sure you get all your sonic 3d blast votes for saturn in before it's too late!

Tizoc

Thinking up my top 10 games or whatever for each system is too tiresome for my brain I've played so many games ove rthe years that listing the really good ones is difficult @_@

Anyways, the latest StH issue featured a nice Eggman story where he saves Metal Sonic; he braves the horrors and monsters of space IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE!

Also dat last page!

Tizoc

Will watch that when I get home, in the mean time can I just say that JP Sonic covers for the Genesis games are really wonderful?
I think it's funny how the US/EU cover of & Knuckles is Black but Japan's is white.

Top Bottom