• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Dereck

The Sonic stages in Sonic Adventure vanilla are plagued by the twitchy-ness of the surface detection while running, hitting walls, and moving quickly. Under all of the glitchiness of the game, the Sonic stages are kind of ambitious. Like Lost World, good balance of platforming, with some very light puzzles, running sections, great music. Too bad DX doesn't really fix the glitches in vanilla from what I've heard.

Red Mountain is pretty good too, I could see someone new to SA dieing all over the place though. I find it easier to appreciate the level design when I'm already familiar with the jankiness of the game, and then you take advantage of the "outer-space, moon boots", physics of the jumping.

Tizoc

3D Sonic 2 was okay I guess, but the Taxman releases seriously spoiled me. I can't go back to pixelated Sonic 2 special stages after the 60FPS, redrawn goodness in the mobile versions.

Shame they're y'know, on mobile and all, tho

Look SEGA, Capcom are releasing the 6 NES Megaman games AGAIN and on a system they already released them on already (3DS), just put both games into one release and sell it for $10 and watch the money roll in.

The Sonic stages in Sonic Adventure vanilla are plagued by the twitchy-ness of the surface detection while running, hitting walls, and moving quickly. Under all of the glitchiness of the game, the Sonic stages are kind of ambitious. Like Lost World, good balance of platforming, with some very light puzzles, running sections, great music. Too bad DX doesn't really fix the glitches in vanilla from what I've heard.

Red Mountain is pretty good too, I could see someone new to SA dieing all over the place though. I find it easier to appreciate the level design when I'm already familiar with the jankiness of the game, and then you take advantage of the "outer-space, moon boots", physics of the jumping.
As much as I shit on Adventure, I really did enjoy most of those Sonic levels.

Tizoc

You know what? Sonic Adventure 1 at least could really go for a remake/remaster to iron out the original game's issues :V

Dereck

As much as I shit on Adventure, I really did enjoy most of those Sonic levels.
Yeah, I really appreciated that some levels hard a "part 2" transition in them.

It'll take much more than an iron to deal with those SA1 creases.
Yes. I encountered some particularly unique bugs while playing with Sonic, sometimes the camera would get stuck behind a floor or a wall just because Sonic was going too fast. In the later stages, hitting the speed pads while in a spindash would make Sonic go slower, but only on certain stages.

SA could have used a few more months in the incubator, there's nothing really wrong with the stages, the game just has a ton of very small glitches, and no huge ones which is why the game isn't unplayable.

You know what? Sonic Adventure 1 at least could really go for a remake/remaster to iron out the original game's issues :V

I've been saying this since SADX first came out on the Gamecube. You can't just slop on an extra coat of varnish and think everything's okay. SA1 needs a lot of work, and nobody is apparently willing to put in the time to re-write the game like it needs.

I remember the original rumor before SADX surfaced was that Sonic Team was working on "Sonic Adventure Gold" which was intended to be SA1 ported to SA2's engine and reworked to fit it

I wonder if that was the original pitch for SADX and they had to scale things back for budgetary reasons?

Anth0ny

It's been long enough since Sonic Mega Collection for me to be willing to buy another Sonic game compilation.

Give me Taxman editions of every game included with Mega Collection (throw CD in there, too), and put it out on every platform.

Any amount of money, Sega. any fucking amount. Re-releasing your old shit is in right now, Sega. More in than ever before! Get on that.

Falk

that puzzling face
All it'd take is a bunch of determined modders and Generations PC.

image.php

Dereck

Now I know that Sonic Adventure is not good, and it sucks, because it could have been, if the game was just Sonic/Sonic-like, and the bugs were taken out, "all of them".

I've beaten Sonic's part but I don't even want to go near any other storyline, personally I feel like Knuckles and Tails should have been the only other characters in the game besides maybe Amy. Knuckles should have remained the "I run fast too but can also fly and climb walls" character, like he was on the Megadrive. I don't like that he was changed to climb walls, fly, and dig.

I would kill for another pre-boost era 3D Sonic Adventure game (not like 2006) but it probably won't happen.

Vylash

god i remember getting Sonic Adventure DX, playing the first stage, and falling through the stage when i was running through a loop,took it back that day

I remember getting my Dreamcast for Christmas of 1999 with a copy of Sonic Adventure, Sega Rally 2 and NBA 2K. So, naturally, Sonic Adventure didn't work in the system at all. Had to play Emerald Coast on the demo disc over and over until we could replace it on Boxing Day and only then would I get to tear into it properly.

I still have fond memories of that game, and even though replaying it, it's quite evident that it's not aged well at all, I can still eke out a fair bit of fun from it.

Also making a team of really awful player-created characters in NBA 2K was a fair bit of fun in the interim.

RK128

I've been saying this since SADX first came out on the Gamecube. You can't just slop on an extra coat of varnish and think everything's okay. SA1 needs a lot of work, and nobody is apparently willing to put in the time to re-write the game like it needs.

I remember the original rumor before SADX surfaced was that Sonic Team was working on "Sonic Adventure Gold" which was intended to be SA1 ported to SA2's engine and reworked to fit it

I wonder if that was the original pitch for SADX and they had to scale things back for budgetary reasons?

The bolded would require a LOT of work, which was something I guess Sega didn't want to do :(.

You would have add new coding for playable Amy and Big (though both of them being cut from a hypothetical Sonic Adventure Gold is fine with me personally), re-work Tails to have Sonic's gameplay (as the SA2 engine only has him using very basic moves with no balance for gameplay) and re-work levels to play with SA2 physics (as they felt different then Adventures physics; it could break a few levels).

The advantages to porting over SA1 into SA2's engine could be fantastic; Sonic having his light dash mapped to the action button would work greatly due to the few action abilities Sonic has in that game, Knuckles would feel fantastic to play with his SA2 speed and moveset, Tails would be a blast to play as and the shooting mechanics could be a nice middle ground between Gama's original SA1 stages and the Tails/Eggman levels in SA2.

Now I feel sad hearing that could of happened :(. But if Sega is interested, that is free money for them XD.

Will this one push you over the edge? How about this one ;)?

Lost World has a great score with some nice stand outs :D.

We know they're hard at work on something for Sonic, something that's taking them ages. I assume it's a brand new next generation engine under the hood.

Before they make a new Sonic game with it, they have a B team work up upgraded/restyled assets, and then remake Sonic Adventure in that engine as a testrun for it. One, to iron the kinks out, two, it's a game that's already "designed", so it becomes a matter of what they want to change, but that's significantly less design work than a new game from scratch, and three, because it's a cheap way of releasing a "new" Sonic game, and getting people hyped up for the next one.

They should definitely bill it as as a Remake, and clarify that it's not 1:1, get that out of the way, so people wouldn't be crying foul about new physics as much. Level design would have to be adjusted in spots. Maybe include a port of SA DX for free as an "If you want to play the original" option.

Anth0ny

sonic 3d blast joins secret rings on my "sonic games worse than sonic 06" list

my god this game is the drizzling shits why am I still playing it

sonic 3d blast joins secret rings on my "sonic games worse than sonic 06" list

my god this game is the drizzling shits why am I still playing it
Yeah, no. Sonic 3D Blast isn't a stellar platformer by any stretch of the imagination but it is nowhere near as broken and unplayable as 2K6 or as questionably designed as Secret Rings.

Anth0ny

3D Blast without the Flickies would be nearly as good as the first three games.

the flickies are terrible

the controls are also terrible. you breathe on the dpad and sonic fucking flies in the direction pressed at 9000 km/h. hard as shit to jump on platforms or enemies.

as a result of the terrible controls, you get hit by enemies. a lot. and when you lose rings, they linger for about 0.3 seconds before vanishing. it's not a hard game but fighting against the controls gets frustrating.

up next in my random sonic game playthrough is sonic spinball

I played it again for the first time in 10 years because I suddenly felt like I should beat it. I always tried as a kid, but it was just too much. It's a very rough game, only way I could do it was with savestates.
That music, too. Fucking hell. It's like someone used the genesis soundboard to try and simulate a robotic cat crying out in pain for the option menu.

Village

Yo yo , I have been trying my hardest to defend this crossover. But this shit is just bad. Its just bad. Its bad and it has no idea who is for.

Its bad in the same way pixels is bad.

Tizoc

Yo yo , I have been trying my hardest to defend this crossover. But this shit is just bad. Its just bad. Its bad and it has no idea who is for.

....what are you talking about? The Current Comic crossover? I do feel like the first one was better, but I enjoyed the current one just fine, just wish there was more to be shown XP

Village

....what are you talking about? The Current Comic crossover? I do feel like the first one was better, but I enjoyed the current one just fine, just wish there was more to be shown XP

Yes, its bad.

I will wait ti its done and try and find a way to articulate it intelligently. But so far its bad, and has made mega man and sonic comics look worse.

I'm fairly certain there's a hack that does exactly that.

There is, and I've played it. It definitely makes the game less tedious, but I'd still argue that levels like Volcano Valley are a pain in the ass because platforming in a 3/4ths perspective is kind of a bitch.

Not having to collect Flickies also means on some levels you end up skipping past like 75% of the stage

Tizoc

Yes, its bad.

I will wait ti its done and try and find a way to articulate it intelligently. But so far its bad, and has made mega man and sonic comics look worse.

I suggest a full re-read of the crossover in that case. TBH if it featured more scenes of the other Capcom and SEGA worlds, it would've been better.

Village

I suggest a full re-read of the crossover in that case. TBH if it featured more scenes of the other Capcom and SEGA worlds, it would've been better.
There is a lot that would have made it better. But yeah, im going to reread this. These doesnt require the ranting cadence of a sonic boom rol, its a complicated bad.I'll say this for now, there is a lot of criticisms about the comic only characters getting way more attention than they should considering this is a licensed property. This comic justifies that criticism in spades. Imma wait tho, maybe the end will retroactively fix the rest.I doubt it, but lets see.

Hey I almost missed a chance to poo poo 3D Blast.
Tedious as hell with all the awkwardness that comes from isometric platforming and sudden bursts of speed, it may not be broken as heck but it sure is boring as heck.

Spinball is worse but I'm more likely to try my hand at the ol' Toxic Caves to no avail than go back on 3D Blast any time soon.

spunodi

The cool thing about the Sonic 3D cartridge was I could knock it a little in the slot and it would go to the level select.

I read somewhere on Retro this is because the exception handling routine takes you there so while other games would crash or output errors this would react differently.

Other than that the game was a pain however, things I liked;

The Music - Mega Drive Version

Green Grove and Panic Puppet were brought back as tracks in Sonic Adventure and this is because they're both great tracks that capture a very Sonic vibe, the first being a happy, trippy and energetic track not dissimilar from Ohtani's current work. The second was more electronic in nature and fit well with some of the dancier aspects of Sonic soundtracks.

The Final Boss, instead of the apocalyptic vibe of previous music (Doomsday / "Big Arm" / "Death Egg Robot" / "Final Zone") was much more ethereal keeping with the theme of another dimension. It was a nice juxtaposition that was unique amongst games of it's time.

FMV on The Mega Drive!

That grainy intro in retrospect looks like someone broke the first colour Nokia however at the time it seemed bloody fantastic. I hailed Travellers Tales as gods back then.

And, well that's it really. The gameplay was "okay".

okay, I'll admit, Worlds Unite isn't as good as Worlds Collide. But it actually shows reverence for the source material it's using, and isn't bogged down by horrendous writing and acting, misogyny, toilet humor, and everything else that makes Adam Sandler a walking bundle of feces. Christ.

I always preferred the Saturn/Win98 versions of Sonic 3D to the Genesis version Sega seems to act like is the only version that exists. Granted, the changes made won't make you magically like the game if you didn't like it before (you're still making the same awkward jumps), but I at least greatly prefer the soundtrack and special stages.

Top Bottom