• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

It's not a bad render but it is a bad interface. "It's unfinished, lol" is not really a good defense. This is not something a game developer in 2016 would actually use. Shit, even Sonic 2006, when it had a character select screen for its E3 demo, it didn't look like this.

This is literally "Here's a 4:3 interface concept in a 16:9 space because I'm not actually a professional graphic designer and I'm just trying to riff on something present in a 17 year old game."

Trust me, I used to be one of these hoaxer guys. You can't fake a faker.

Ha, I remember the Shadow The Hedgehog Redemption one gaining some ground on the Sega Boards back in the day. You're probably right about it being fake.

HUELEN10

> Negative Knuckles
> Red Sonic

I'm dead y'all

wtdWJAB.gif

GeekyDad

Since I'm only a casual Sonic fan, perhaps I'm missing something. What's wrong with Sonic Boom Shattered Crystal (3DS)? I'm just not seeing how this game go 2's out of 10 and received an overall Metacritic score in the 40's. Isn't that reserved for broken games? I'm just not seeing how "professional" reviewers justify some of these scores. The game feels fun to me.

Since I'm only a casual Sonic fan, perhaps I'm missing something. What's wrong with Sonic Boom Shattered Crystal (3DS)? I'm just not seeing how this game go 2's out of 10 and received an overall Metacritic score in the 40's. Isn't that reserved for broken games? I'm just not seeing how "professional" reviewers justify some of these scores. The game feels fun to me.

Here's select passages from my review:

Even with run button firmly held down, Sonic’s top speed is more like a geriatric power walk, ill-fitting of the rocket jet sound it triggers. And yet somehow, this snail’s pace doesn’t stop the game from having slippery controls, which can make hazards unnecessarily difficult to deal with.

(...)

Of course, the four playable characters may as well be the same: all of them handle nearly identically to Sonic, save for a single character-specific special ability, usually mapped to the X button. Most of these abilities are only useful in specific situations in which they are explicitly designed for. For example, you never need to switch to Sticks unless there’s an unreachable fuse that needs to be broken with her remote-controlled boomerang, and Knuckles is useless unless you see a mound of dirt for him to dig in to. None of these abilities are ever used to solve anything that would even be tangentially defined as a “puzzle;” just match the character to the single gameplay mechanic they’re useful for and you’ve basically solved the entire game. Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal is a game of locked doors where you’re quickly given all of the keys, and you just need to switch to the right one when you’re told to. That’s not fun, it’s busy work.

(...)

Unlike previous collect-a-thon platformers, which usually only required you to scoop up a fraction of its loot in order to finish the game, Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal asks that you find almost everything on your first go. If you’re unfortunate enough to finish a level without meeting the requirements for all three emblems, it’s likely that you won’t be able to progress forward until you go back and get them. Level design even predicates on this: later levels will occasionally split in to two or more separate paths, locking you in to one specific route through the rest of the level. Attempts to backtrack to these alternate routes are stymied thanks to every level being broken up by a confusing network of warp points. What this means is that most levels are designed to be played at least twice, sometimes more, as you hunt for its various collectables through their bland, maze-like interiors. This gets to be very boring, very quickly as you spin your wheels looking for that last missing crystal shard in a level you’ve already been through twice.

RK128

I covered the game during the Sonic Boom Part of my Retrospective, so give that a read if you want impressions on the game.

GeekyDad

Here's select passages from my review:

Baffled...

I get you didn't like the game, but I still don't see how you justify that score. I haven't found anything yet in the game that's out-and-out broken, and if, as you say, it would entertain a 12-year old, how is that a bad thing. As a reviewer, the idea is to be objective. "Does this game well serve its target audience?" You're grading it outrageously low because you personally didn't like what the developers did with Sonic, not because it was a busted mess. It's far, far from it.

What's really kinda tragic, though, is how reviews that managed to make it onto Metacritic all did basically the same thing. It's ridiculous, really.

A 2.5/5 would be "average."

A 1.5/5 is a game below average to the point of being bad, but not completely busted.

I don't grade on IGN's "7/10 is average" scale.

i have a PS3 and a 360. which version of Unleashed is best?

It's been a while (since my 360 is dead...I should it get fixed because of a few games I've been meaning to replay), but I remember the 360 was solid enough. Though certain points did have frame rate issues(like the New York based stage and Eggmanland).

HUELEN10

I've played both extensively.

360, hands down.

1. It has a capped and more stable framerate (Eggmanland and Adabat still shit though)
  2. Faster loads.
  3. Better lighting.
  4. Better animations for werehog transitions.
  5. More real-time cutscenes as opposed to CG vids.

HUELEN10

I know this is a double-post, but I felt like saying that you guys are awesome, respectful people, and I am happy to be here with you all.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Can't talk about the 360 version, but I have to imagine it has to be better than the PS3 version, which had a disastrous framerate. I'm talking like 10 fps at times.

It's been a while (since my 360 is dead...I should it get fixed because of a few games I've been meaning to replay), but I remember the 360 was solid enough. Though certain points did have frame rate issues(like the New York based stage and Eggmanland).

I've played both extensively.

360, hands down.

1. It has a capped and more stable framerate (Eggmanland and Adabat still shit though)
  2. Faster loads.
  3. Better lighting.
  4. Better animations for werehog transitions.
  5. More real-time cutscenes as opposed to CG vids.

HUELEN10

Forgot one more thing...

A specific hub world's character makes more sense on the 360 than the PS3. You'll know it when you meet them...

RK128

Hello everyone :).

The second Sonic Retrospective series will be launching today, starting with this piece: http://3wirel.lostsig.com/2016/06/01/celebrating-an-anniversary-sonic-the-hedgehog-part-i/

It is a much more condensed version of the Retrospectives of Sonic 1, 2, CD and 3&K and while it lacks a lot of details, it is just one part of an ongoing series of articles releasing weekly. These are part of the new Sonic Retrospective.

But the main show piece for the day is the Sonic Before the Sequel Retrospective, with that releasing later in the day. Hope you all look forward to it, as it is an amazing fan game I wanted to talk about with detail for a long time now.

I know this is a double-post, but I felt like saying that you guys are awesome, respectful people, and I am happy to be here with you all.

Happy to have you with us :D. Really enjoyed seeing your comments in the Sonic Retrospectives :).

Village

"So the hub is this giant blank white space that area doors appear inside of."

"Cool, that sounds like the perfect way to plug in DLC levels!"

"Oh, we're not making any of those."
I litterally edited that out of my response because i felt it was too sassy

"Hey people are just modding with ease old levels characters that function quite with this engine. Levels that previously seemed poorly desned come to life with these mechanics, we have stumbled upon a gold mine. Not for just this game could hypothetically speakinf just remake older levels and create new fun games. With multiple characters shadow and tails on the modding scene with substantial amounts of downloads, this could games we have numbers shown interest, we could sell dlc. We can use this thing we have created to bank roll more experimental sonic projects, whilst having a steady quality stream of consistant games. With multiple playable character, we can litterally please everyone. And start to actively turn some public perception around on alot "

"No"

"No?"

"No" as he throws sonic lost world onto the table.

Anth0ny

"Hey people are just modding with ease old levels characters that function quite with this engine. Levels that previously seemed poorly desned come to life with these mechanics, we have stumbled upon a gold mine. Not for just this game could hypothetically speakinf just remake older levels and create new fun games. With multiple characters shadow and tails on the modding scene with substantial amounts of downloads, this could games we have numbers shown interest, we could sell dlc. We can use this thing we have created to bank roll more experimental sonic projects, whilst having a steady quality stream of consistant games. With multiple playable character, we can litterally please everyone. And start to actively turn some public perception around on alot "

"No"

"No?"

it's so true

and now with boom the franchise is basically back to 2006 levels of dead

I'm being mildly facetious, of course - I'm pretty sure Sonic doesn't have white shoes with a dark-colored buckle strap, either.

...though Boom Sonic still looks markedly weird to me, not gonna lie. Kinda put me off the show.

"No"

"No?"

I'd bet any amount of money that's exactly how that conversation actually ended

Village

I dont like the blue arms because in secret, maybe by accident maybe on purpose few subtile story world building elements in the series.

By identifying that there are two different types of hedgehogs. At least, in that world. hedgehogs like sonic and amy, and shadow and silver. Amy and sonic having more skin sonic not having the chest hair situation and sonic and amy having a natural born ability to fastness. Outside of that powers gifted to them via power up.

Shadow and silver having fur all over, having wierd upturned quills the chest hair situation. And having weird ass ( kinda op) powers, but not having a natual ability for fastness using powers to make up for it. Silver and his telekinesis and shadow with his teleportation and rocket boots, all but one of these powers not. even needing a chaos emerald at this point.

As minor as it was it was a tiny peice of visual story telling that I thought was cool. And actually seemed like world building. So sonic boom sonic will always look weird to me.

I just don't like blue arms because every single piece of bootleg merchandise gave him blue arms and it feels like a bad way to legitimize something like that

Village

Obama backpack !

Sega tries or rather sonic team tries to create worlds or sometimes narraties with interesting stuff going on, but a lot of it is overt. The strait forward cheese has been a part of the charm since the 90's cartoons. Sonic boom hasn't exactly ended that. So when they actually do something that isn't explicitly stated but adds something to the worl a little narrative. In few ways, it also sort of implies the Dr. Gerald Robitnik was less Gepetto and more Dr.Gero. But yeah, when they actually do a cool thing they get a clap.

But that's not important, whats important is this hot shit in the streets fam. Ya'll seen this Sonic Boom Fire and ice Pre Order bonus, That's what's hot in the streets fam. Everyone pre-ordering right? Does anyone care? No, because we havent seen that game in so long we have no idea what you have been fixing the last two games were horrible it has made a lot of us hesitant and a dvd with shadow the hedgehog in it isn't going to make me buy the game. I would rather play as him in the video game. Oh ok.

I hope this sonic boom game is good, because no one seems to care that much.

To think: they took one look at this and thought, "This is the guy we want to be the Sonic franchise's main character designer from here on out". I mean, it worked out in the end but whew... what a bold direction.

Sonic 3D Blast for the Saturn actually came out after Sonic Adventure in Japan.

Top Bottom