• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

What's the best DC ver. of Sonic Adventure?
Is it the Original NTSC-US release or SA International? Or are they one and the same?

They're the same, yeah. There are, to my knowledge, three distinct versions of Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast:

1. The original 1998 version of Sonic Adventure, released in Japan.
  2. "Sonic Adventure: Limited Edition," exclusive to Hollywood Video rental stores in July of 1999, two months before the USA Dreamcast launch. It is lacking some of the changes made for the North American release of Sonic Adventure.
  3. The September 1999 version of Sonic Adventure, released in North America (and then later Europe). This was then re-released in Japan as "Sonic Adventure: International," because it contains changes and fixes that the original Japanese version did not. Sega did this a lot -- there was a "Shenmue: International Edition," and "De la Jet Set Radio."

It gets a little fuzzier than that, as there was an unmarked revision to SA in Japan before International came out there. The earliest version was much more prone to glitches, loading the wrong textures, etc.

Also, I believe the Japanese International has a different Knuckles voice track, rerecorded after they found out Lani had snuck in Drummond playing two roles instead of just one. I'm not 100% on which version had the new actor, but I remember reading about it.

I know you said "distinct" versions, just adding to the info.

Tizoc

^Woah.

They're the same, yeah. There are, to my knowledge, three distinct versions of Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast:

1. The original 1998 version of Sonic Adventure, released in Japan.
  2. "Sonic Adventure: Limited Edition," exclusive to Hollywood Video rental stores in July of 1999, two months before the USA Dreamcast launch. It is lacking some of the changes made for the North American release of Sonic Adventure.
  3. The September 1999 version of Sonic Adventure, released in North America (and then later Europe). This was then re-released in Japan as "Sonic Adventure: International," because it contains changes and fixes that the original Japanese version did not. Sega did this a lot -- there was a "Shenmue: International Edition," and "De la Jet Set Radio."

Interesting thanks.

Speaking of JSR, I take it the Steam ver. is the best ver. being based on the updated DC VERSIOn right?

Surta

What's the difference with Limited Edition, really? Retro's article on it is surprisingly empty.

From what I remember:

- Some of the updated camera system changes made to the North American version of Sonic Adventure have not yet been applied to Limited Edition, and instead use their Japanese original angles

- Lip sync is noticeably different

It's been long enough that my memory is really fuzzy, though.

Rlan

Was reminiscing about Tiny Toons Acme All Stars and realizing it would be a great hack with Sonic characters someday.

Each character has a "power" across Soccer and Basketball, which the majority could cross over to Sonic characters:

Buster Bunny (Goes Fast, Sonic)
Babs Bunny (Also fast, Shadow)
Plucky Duck (Flies & Drops stuff, Rouge?)
Hamton J. Pig (Rolls into a ball, could be Knuckles bouncing?)
Montana Max (Rides in Car, Eggman)
Elmyra Duff (Clings to people, Amy)
Shirley the Loon (Levitates stuff, Silver)
Fifi La Fume (uses Skunk smell, Blaze as fire)
Calamity Coyote (Pilots a little Mech, Tails)
Little Beeper (Fast, Metal Sonic)
Furrball (Balances on the ball and runs.. Charmy?)
Dizzy Devil. (Spin Attack, Espio)

Also realized that the game is kind of the "Sonic Battle" of the Tiny Toons games. Have this sprite set from Buster's Hidden Treasure...lets use that on a side project thing.

TimmiT

Another E3 without a new Sonic game. Why.

Because a Sonic game announcement will probably get a lot more attention at Sega's own event than at E3. Like unless they'd get one of the big three to show it during their press conference it probably wouldn't get much attention because pretty much everything outside of the press conferences gets a lot less media attention.

Though for whatever it's worth, I did hear from the Sonic Retro staff who went to E3 that Fire & Ice is surprisingly good.

Falk

that puzzling face
I feel like there may be some leftover prejudice (for lack of a better word) from bits of the fandom that's going to hinder F&I's performance even if it's a good game. Like I've heard things along the lines of 'don't want to buy F&I, good game or not it'll just legitimize the travesty that was Boom Rise of Lyric'.

I can kinda understand the sentiment and in some ways it mirrors the muted reception S4E2 got vs E1 despite being a better production, but eh, it's still silly.

Feels like it's between a rock and a hard place.

RK128

"Ahem"
https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/06/e3-2016sonic-boom-fire-and-ice-preview-jasons-take/

It's not a major Sonic title, but it's had nothing but positive previews so far.

Not shocking in the slightest :).

Sanzaru Games takes feedback on games seriously and used feedback Sucker Punch got from Sly 3 to make a fantastic game with Sly 4 (though Sly 3 is still a good game, I had a lot of issues with it honestly :().

They had a great based with Shattered Crystal and while I really enjoyed the game, completely understand the issues many had with the title. Fire & Ice fixes everything that Shattered Crystal had wrong with it; its faster in every regard, levels are more speed-focused, the visuals look a bit better, the extra gamplay styles like the sub and the tunnel stages are improved upon, and we get real boss fights this time out.

Very excited about Fire & Ice and while I want the anniversary go final be announced already, happy to see Fire & Ice shape up to be a great game.

Village

"Ahem"
https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/06/e3-2016sonic-boom-fire-and-ice-preview-jasons-take/

It's not a major Sonic title, but it's had nothing but positive previews so far.

Cool

Glad that trailer was just weird then.

Hope its good.

I feel like there may be some leftover prejudice (for lack of a better word) from bits of the fandom that's going to hinder F&I's performance even if it's a good game. Like I've heard things along the lines of 'don't want to buy F&I, good game or not it'll just legitimize the travesty that was Boom Rise of Lyric'.

Fuckery

I think the word is fuckery.

Rlan

Sonic Twitter went a bit too far today:

a3cavuB.png
bhc1V0f.png

I get where Raimi is coming from but it also feels sort of like... I guess the only term I can think of is "conflict of interest." Like he's too close to the issue, being too personal about "the struggle."

There have been MN9 betas and demos for months, even years before release. A lot of people knew what to expect from the final product and had been goofing on the game for a while. The fact that Inafune was out there making statements on the day of release to the effect of him shrugging his shoulders and going "Welp, this is what you get!" says even Comcept knew shit wasn't roses.

No need to protect them.

Dr. Buni

I think that tweet was kinda lame. Someone from the Sonic fandom or affiliated in any way with Sonic Team is in no place to talk about quality in games and even if every single Sonic game was a 9/10 or 10/10, that would still be quite a shitty attitude to have towards who worked hard on somefin. But yeah, "no need to protect them", lets just trash talk those people because... because... why again?

It did give me a bit of a chuckle until I remembered what the last few sonic titles actually were...
JlQRAS2.gif

All will be forgiven if they just tell us what the bloody next one by Sonic Team is.

Sami+

The tweet was great, people need to be less sensitive lol.

Hopefully the next few games are incredible and we can finally put the shit past us.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It was my utmost pleasure to check my phone and seeing a fraction of SonicGAF bullying Coldman today.

Truly the best Sonic anniversary.

Anth0ny

why are most of the opinions "sonic is shit, mario world is amazing"

they're both fucking great you fanboys

I have mario world at #7 and sonic 2 at #11 on my all time list

and my all time list is fact

Village

You must've missed when his daughter told him that he ain't shit on Raw, too
I missed hat , can i get a video

Why is there a "Complaining about Eggman's name" thread.

Again.

Because they like to pick and choose which parts of sonic can or cannot be edgy.

This is allowed, apparently. They described his name robotnik as " threatening " People telling me they found eggman threatening is like people saying they thought RE1-3 were actually scary I don't believe you. They are fun zombino games, but I don't believe you .

And the only version of the egmun, I ever thought was threatening is his comic incarnation, specifically his more recent iterations.

They describe Eggman as a childish name , in a game series who's main demo is children.

That thread is strange.

Because they like to pick and choose which parts of sonic can or cannot be edgy.

This is allowed, apparently. They described his name robotnik as " threatening " People telling me they found eggman threatening is like people saying they though RE1-3 were actually scary I don't believe you. They are fun zombino games, but I don't believe you .

And the only version of the egmun, I ever thought was threatening is his comic incarnation, specifically his more recent iterations.

They describe Eggman as a childish name , in a game serious who's main demo is children.

That thread is strange.

Oh wow, that is peculiar.

Top Bottom