• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Village

Literally the exact same explanation we got fifteen years ago, too.

Can I just mention something.

I find it odd that some many people care about the name Robotnik for two reasons

One , I think Robotnik is dumb as all outdoors.

Two, the only time its ever been relevant , like him having a name a surname, is in regards to shadow the hedgehog. Where he is related to two other people with that surname, in regards to shadow the hedgehog Now shadow is a popular guy, recently one of the folks who run that sonic twitter ( it more than just one guy)basically said the reason ruby doesn't put up sonic polls about character popularity anymore because they know the spots, shadow being in number 2. So ya know he's a popular guy I get it. But I don't exspect that on say ... neogaf.

Neogaf is a site with people who will shit on sonic for no reason... particularity shadow. Yeah he has his fans or rather just adventure fans I guess that speaks to his popularity, but a lot of the site aren't to big on some sonic elements. And while I'm not going to assume to know... who those folks are in that thread. Based on some reading, it seems like they prominently fall on the " not fond of a lot of sonic side, I stopped after classic" what have you.

To which My response is, why do you care about a character's last name, to which the onlytime its ever relevant EVER, is in regards to a character you probably hate.

This confuses me a bit.

Shizzlee

I knew I should have only listened to the OST instead of actually buying the game. On top of it sucking, it's really hard.

Falk

that puzzling face
My anecdotal-sample-size results from asking people who don't play video games at all if 'Eggman' or 'Robotnik' sounded stupider resulted in an almost 50-50 split.

Finally picking through the Mario & Sonic Rio music now that the Wii U version is out, and I had to single out this piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJzwM-nZJsU

edit: Mario Arrangement Album 2016
I was close to stealing this traditional post of yours yesterday, glad I waited.

Just when you thought the DK Island Swing remixes were over....

Amazing, he really does sound like he can't hold on much longer

It's funny how many early versions of Sonic themes get out there. Half the time Sega stuck them in the trailers. (Heroes, Riders.)

The promo version of Sonic Heroes is my favorite because it sounds like the mumbling you make when you can only halfway remember lyrics

Hrmhmmm huhuhmm WUHUM mmmmrrhhmmmm SO-NIC HE-ROES

Sciz

I was close to stealing this traditional post of yours yesterday, glad I waited.

The original music isn't as good as London on the whole, but it's still pretty damn good and has a much stronger regional flair than Sochi did, which only had a couple tracks I really got into.

Apart from the major mixes, there's all these short bits based on existing music that I assume are character victory jingles, a la Smash Bros. There's the obvious picks like SMB1 Ground, but a number of Sonic characters pull from Toot Toot Sonic Warrior, and what I assume to be Wario's jingle is nicked from Jimmy T.'s Warioware 1 intro of all places. Nice attention to detail.

The promo version of Sonic Heroes is my favorite because it sounds like the mumbling you make when you can only halfway remember lyrics

Hrmhmmm huhuhmm WUHUM mmmmrrhhmmmm SO-NIC HE-ROES

bum dee, ba-da-dum ba-dee, bum dee, ba-da dum

I'd never heard the OYH demo track before. I want to make a crack about how Johnny Gioeli's enunciation isn't much better, but no, this really is mumbled Engrish at its finest.

Sciz

A couple comic things:

The Classic train rolls on in the next arc after Unleashed finally (finally) wraps up:

CmCwi7XXIAE6RZF.jpg:large

And there's an interview with Ian where he mentions that the Mega Drive issues are actually in continuity, and he already has ideas for a third one if the response is good.

Village

I am ready for something else after the year and some change of " this unleashed story has long run its course and its kind of bad"

Previews for universe already showing its still best comic.

This looks ok though

Gagaman

Been making a series of videos to celebrate the 25th anniversary over the last week, hope to get many more out over the next month.

Sonic 1997 Birthday Party in Hamleys

Contains memories of Sonic R, Segaworld, the Sega floor of Hamleys and CUTTING THE CAAAAAKE. Ahem.

Sonic Music: 25 Years of Lyrical Genius

This one is a fun joke inspired by misinterpreted or just plain weird lyrics, music/sample comparisons and Sonic 4 being Sonic 4.

Next up on the cards are some lets plays of Sonic R and my recently acquired Sonic's Gameworld (Japanese GAMBLING edition). Hope you guys don't mind me plugging these here heh!

I was also going to do a video unboxing of the dropdead X sonic hoodie and jacket I ordered, but arrived with a loose hanging patch and a blob on the artwork of the hoodie so I've had to return them and may have to wait a month for a new one as they are out of stock :S

Rlan

Cool to know that I wasn't the only one who played multiplayer with friends of Sonic R shooting each other with Eggman and Eggrobo. Much fun was had.

Gagaman

SFGHQ was one of the first Sonic websites I went to I think. Even made a couple fan games back in 2001/02 heh!

By the way Sonic R let's play is up. Didn't actually realise I only needed to place 1st to unlock Radiant Emerald, not collect all the emeralds. Ah well, I showed people where they all are even if I did skim past one of them and forget it haha.

Reminded myself of what Sonic websites I first went to when I first went online.

I would always check Andy Watt's Sonic The Hedgehog Fan Page (and had to remember the URL of http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/watts/andy which doesn't work anymore)

And also Sonic Zone at http://www.suneet.com/SonicZone

Unfortunately neither are on the Wayback machine. Wish I could also remember where on XOOM.com I made my first version of SFGHQ.

This post led me on a spiral of looking into old Sonic sites I used to frequent. Browsing the old Sonic Team website was a crazy wave of nostalgia, especially the BBS.

An older relative of mine used to post on SFGHQ's forums back in the day. I used to browse & download some of the fangames. Kinda neat to see how the scene evolved from Kilk 'n Play to what it eventually became. I remember when the concept of functioning slopes in a Sonic fangame was fuckin' monumental, lol.

Secrets of Sonic Team was pretty nice, took up the "Beta and Unfinished Stuff" torch from some sites that had slowed down in updating, like Area 51 I think.

Sami+

Secrets of Sonic Team was pretty nice, took up the "Beta and Unfinished Stuff" torch from some sites that had slowed down in updating, like Area 51 I think.

SoST! I loved that site dude, might even have been my introduction to behind the scenes game development stuff as a kid.

Village

bop.gif

Every time I see and play these games I go

" there is a lot of potential here, but I wish they would focus on one thing "

Like I feel like that's these games' flaw, like instead of the entire olympics, can I get sonic and mario do 1 thing. Like sonic and mario strikers, or sonic and mario racing, or sonic and mario 3 on 3 basket ball, or at least focus it down a bit.

bop.gif

Like I feel like that's these games' flaw, like instead of the entire olympics, can I get sonic and mario do 1 thing. Like sonic and mario strikers, or sonic and mario racing, or sonic and mario 3 on 3 basket ball, or at least focus it down a bit.

You have pretty much described Sonic's entire 3D career up to Sonic Colors to varying degrees.

Village

You have pretty much described Sonic's entire 3D career up to Sonic Colors to varying degrees.
Eh, but there are sonic games in 3d that do multiple things, that I enjoy. There even games that I like where I wish they would expand on concepts ( generations ).

This is a game series where every single one I can say " I wish they was just one sport and you focused on it really hard"

bop.gif

Wow, for a second there I thought I was looking at a HD sequel/successor to Sonic The Fighters lol.

Village

I know right , I first saw that gif like

" Oh yeah I could go for a new sonic the fighters if it played better "

Though to be honest if sega did make a new sonic fighting game, in all honesty they should just make a game like those CC2 naruto games. That isn't a joke, like what those games are are just casual and stylish enough to fit a sonic fighting game. And there is a lot of just running and sliding around.

Edit:

These games are always good for amzing soundtracks and funny images

tumblr_o9cb600ImV1rypw9yo1_400.gif

tumblr_o9cbirjvib1rypw9yo1_500.gif

Look at him doing it!

tumblr_o9co5dPhzZ1rypw9yo1_500.gif

Regiruler

I know right , I first saw that gif like

" Oh yeah I could go for a new sonic the fighters if it played better "

Though to be honest if sega did make a new sonic fighting game, in all honesty they should just make a game like those CC2 naruto games. That isn't a joke, like what those games are are just casual and stylish enough to fit a sonic fighting game. And there is a lot of just running and sliding around.
Better idea: give eighting more work

bop.gif

Dude, it's a minigame collection. You know

A collection

of

miniature games

And it's a historic precedent, going all the way back to Track & Field on the NES and probably before even that. Like, I get where you're coming from. I played and reviewed the 3DS version and I had a lot of fun with some of the minigames and wished there were more of them

But at the end of the day, it's a minigame collection. It's a lot of little tastes all packaged together. And sometimes, that's what people want. There are wine tasting parties, people eat whole entire meals that consist mainly of what would be considered horderves, etc.

I'd love a "Mario vs. Sonic" sports series, where MvS: Golf, MvS: Tennis, etc. were individual games, but this is good, too.

Village

I know its a mini game collection, but I dont find it to be entertaining as it stands. I dont think genre in this sense justifies how nothing this game series is. I enjoy mini game collectioms, I love wario ware but this aint wario ware. Its..just boring, in presentation and game play its...boring. And since the series conception I have played these games wishing they would focus on one aspect instead of all these things. It to me has yet to justify its existance as is, its just meh.

But I know its not gonna happen, because the Olympics are...well the olympics besides all the back door stuff and myriad health issues in certain locations, its an easy them to get behind. You put sonic, mario and olympics on on a box people buy that. And my desire for depth, doesnt mean everyone else desires it.

I want depth. I want nuanced extreme one sport game. One because those arent really made anymore, but two when I play these games, they have potential.I feel isnt being realized. And I would give a large amount of money, for one sport crazy sonic and mario.

I know its a minigame collection, I would much rather have the other thing.

Sonic and mario 3 on 3 basketball, how many slam dunks can we do in the stopped time. You don't know, I don't know, thats why we need games like that. So we can conduct hype ass experiments. So we can push the world forward, with dumb extreme one sport focused games.

It's really a shame when you consider the history behind Sega Sports R&D. I know they'd be able to put out a kickass sports game if given the opportunity.

Village

You have now reminded me of multiple studio's who could do kick ass extreme sports games but now can't, or don't exist anymore and used to.

I'm going to go in the corner and cry about EA BIG and criteron.

Remember when sports games weren't all sports sims? goooood times.
Like damn they even sim the fake sport of wrasslin' exclusively now.

chronos86

Reminded myself of what Sonic websites I first went to when I first went online.

I would always check Andy Watt's Sonic The Hedgehog Fan Page (and had to remember the URL of http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/watts/andy which doesn't work anymore)

And also Sonic Zone at http://www.suneet.com/SonicZone

Unfortunately neither are on the Wayback machine. Wish I could also remember where on XOOM.com I made my first version of SFGHQ.

I found the sonic zone on there :

https://web.archive.org/web/20040603152914/http://www.suneet.com/soniczone/

Jacknapes

Been in a Sonic mood all weekend, so ventured onto eBay and bought Sonic Advance 2 and 3 on Saturday.

Also, completed Sonic the Hedgehog once again. Always loved the original Mega Drive/Genesis games. And played Sonic 2 on the 3DS on Sunday, forgetting i left Super Sonic mode on. Was interesting playing the entire game at hyper speed.

One of my friends was trying to convince me that Sonic Shuffle was good. He was quite unsuccessful.

Sonic Shuffle had a lot of great ideas for the time, just needed a lot of optimization it didn't get, and someone to slap the devs over a few things.

Mario Party was basically spinning its wheels by that point, so I try to give Shuffle some credit for ambition.

Top Bottom