• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Tizoc

A couple comic things:

The Classic train rolls on in the next arc after Unleashed finally (finally) wraps up:

And there's an interview with Ian where he mentions that the Mega Drive issues are actually in continuity, and he already has ideas for a third one if the response is good.
Id rather his 3rd book be a return to megaman even if it is 1 miniseries a year

Rlan

tumblr_o9wihtKHxY1v7m09qo1_540.jpg
tumblr_o9wihtKHxY1v7m09qo2_540.jpg

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm sitting here realizing we'll never get another deluge of avatar-material faces like Hedgehog the Sonic ever again.

People try.

Oh, they try.

Village

I'm sitting here realizing we'll never get another deluge of avatar-material faces like Hedgehog the Sonic ever again.

People try.

Oh, they try.

Eh to be honest, the Sonic Universe comics are generally a gold mine for those.

You should read those If you don't

I'm a bit late i know for the 25th Anniversary but i've been working on a 25th Anniversary history video, covering every major Sonic game i possibly could as well as talking about the popularity of Sonic and the non gaming things he has done. It's 30 minutes long and i've tried to make it professional quality so do check it out if you have the time. It's taken me a few weeks but it's finally done :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmbGsVxX1Vg

Regiruler

I went back to the console version of Lost World earlier this week and I was surprised how good it looked. I actually think it'll age better than tropical freeze.

It's certainly clean as can be but backdrops and environments are a bit too plain.
Funnily enough comparing it to TF makes me think of the Sonic 1/2/3 vs Mario World visuals situation (Sonic>>>) except this time Sonic is on the simple side, nice style though so I see your point.

It's certainly clean as can be but backdrops and environments are a bit too plain.
Funnily enough comparing it to TF makes me think of the Sonic 1/2/3 vs Mario World visuals situation (Sonic>>>) except this time Sonic is on the simple side, nice style though so I see your point.

I'll second this. There are parts of Sonic Lost World that look pretty good, but I'd argue that by and large it looks like a PS2 or maybe a Wii game rendered in HD. Lots of flat textures, simplistic effects, etc.

xcbBZoD.jpg

Which makes it doubly bizarre when you hit those moments where the framerate starts hitching up on the Wii U, because it doesn't ever feel like it's really rendering anything that complex.

In video: Generally complimentary and impressed after about the first 30 seconds.

Video caption: "Mark and Brian torture themselves by playing what is possibly the worst Sonic game ever made."

They're that desperate for clicks I guess.

MajorMane

A professor of mine asked for some music representative of the Sonic series. I'll be honest, I'm thrown for a loop here since I didn't play much Sonic, so I was hoping you'd be able to help me out Sonic-GAF.

What music is representative of the series to you?

A professor of mine asked for some music representative of the Sonic series. I'll be honest, I'm thrown for a loop here since I didn't play much Sonic, so I was hoping you'd be able to help me out Sonic-GAF.

It'd be easier to just pick a song instead of narrowing it down to a genre. You can always look at the previous SonicGAF Soundtrack Vote to see what people voted for (and who got mad at who for not voting for Unleashed). http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=151782056#post151782056

Sciz

If you're looking for the iconic Sonic sound that the average person might recognize, pick some stuff from 1 and 2. If you want a broader sampler of every style the series has hit, that's going to be a long, long list.

RK128

Quite a few options I think can work wonderfully :)

-Action Piece: Live & Learn (SA2)
-Light Hearted Piece/Energetic Piece: Escape from the City (SA2)
-Iconic Pieces: Green Hill (1), Chemical Plant (2), Hydrocity Zone (3&K)
-Beautiful Pieces: Jungle Joyride Night (Unleashed), Endless Possibilities Orchestrated (Unleashed)
-Joyful Pieces: Windy Hill (Lost World)
-Rock'n Tracks: Open Your Heart (Adventure), His World (06)

Hope this helps out some how :D!

Sonic music to me is generally energetic, vaguely pop-y, with a strong melody and a generally brisk tempo.

But like Falk said, there is no Sonic "genre." A lot of Sonic games are deliberately broad in this regard. Sonic Adventure 2 sort of started that trend; Knuckles gets rap, Sonic's levels have Ska overtones, Shadow's music is aggressive and industrial, Rouge gets 70's Spy funk, etc.

Sonic Unleashed breaks things down by map region, usually with a musical style that reflects the local culture, things like that.

And you look at Sonic Colors, and you have the retro-future horns of Sweet Mountain, the grungy metal of Asteroid Coaster, the soft piano of Planet Wisp...

And, like, even having a melody isn't always true. I wouldn't say Crisis City has a melody, nor Water Palace.

The primary theme is just "good-ass, catchy music"

RK128

tumblr_n9yvbz6eht1s8s065o1_500.gif

Fantastic post flooded with amazing Sonic music :'). Great work summing up how varied, creative and expansive the Sonic music line up is.

MajorMane

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I should've been a little more clear in that I'm looking for songs that would represent the Sonic series well, not necessarily a genre! That'd be quite the feat indeed. My professor in particular will be looking for songs that would reach the widest audience (so probably nostalgic to that extent) and also be playable by a group of people. I'll have to give everything a listen and send them his way. Thanks again!

Falk

that puzzling face
Is this for possibility of being arranged for being played by an ensemble?

If so, what kind of instrumentation?

MajorMane

Is this for possibility of being arranged for being played by an ensemble?

If so, what kind of instrumentation?

Yes. It would be for a marching band (so your typical woodwind instruments, brass instruments, drumline, and frontline pit.) Not sure if it's doable or not.

Falk

that puzzling face
Sweet Mountain replace guitar with lead sax

(I'm half joking btw - as good as the music from Colors is it's not particularly iconic - the best bet are arrangements from the classic 3 games)

RK128

So will we get a new thread after sdcc?

That is in a few weeks, right? If new Sonic stuff gets announced, will make the thread for that :). Game announcement thread are fair-game on NeoGaf, so their shouldn't be any issue for one of us to make the announcement thread for the Sonic game if one does get announced at SDCC.

But I think we will get the full announcement at the big Sonic party later this month......wait, only 12 days until the 22nd?! Wow, this month is going by fast :').

Really hoping they go back to what worked with Colors/Generations or sincerely worked on what went wrong with Lost World. I keep going back to Lost World hoping it will finally "click", but it doesn't. The controls are clunky and Sonic is lethargic which makes the platforming feels awful as a result. It feels like a constant struggle to navigate Sonic through the levels, especially in the 2D portions where Sonic oscillates between easily making a jump and nearly dying from the same jump for no apparent reason. The gimmick levels like where Sonic has to fly or use Wisps to proceed also don't feel any better. On top of that, they already start reusing level designs and assets wholesale a couple hours into the game. The story is also more non-existent than Generations which is disappointing since it's by the same writers from Colors and The Deadly Six are utterly forgettable.

Oh, and pre-patch they made the still utterly baffling decision to take out the "100 rings = 1 life" yet spammed rings like crazy in the levels. This was made even more confusing by the fact that they took out the scoring system from the main game yet left in the "Total Score" and designed the homing attack to combo enemies more easily thus leading to larger scores. AND they still time you despite not grading you and not giving you lives for high scores! This also works against it since it isn't all that much longer than previous games, only now I have less incentive to go back and play stages. Generations may be a six hour game, but I've replayed many of the levels dozens of times to perfect scores or just to have fun. It's like every so often Sonic Team utterly forget why they are designing the game the way they are and just leave stuff half finished.

It looks nice, runs well, and has a nice soundtrack but the game simply isn't fun to play.

Top Bottom