• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Falk

that puzzling face
Pet peeve, it'd be called arrangement work regardless.

Composer would be whoever did the original in S3&K.

A bad arrangement is still an arrangement.

Tizoc

Lost World's biggest issue IMO, is that it had platforming challenges, but it wasn't fun.
It's like they made a list of platforming stuff but forgot to add in the fun factor.

I bought Lost World on Steam during the Sonic Humble Bundle. I've only played the first few levels but it's so fun to get about in that game and try the wall running stuff with an actual controller rather than an oversized plastic monstrosity with a screen.

Regiruler

I bought Lost World on Steam during the Sonic Humble Bundle. I've only played the first few levels but it's so fun to get about in that game and try the wall running stuff with an actual controller rather than an oversized plastic monstrosity with a screen.

I have long been searching for one of your kind, they with hands the size of a bumblebee...

Lost World's biggest issue IMO, is that it had platforming challenges, but it wasn't fun.
It's like they made a list of platforming stuff but forgot to add in the fun factor.

Lost World's biggest issue is that they focused on parkour as a means of getting around but made it slower and less natural than almost any Sonic game before it. And the controls in general are awful and not explained well.

Some of the 2D sections controlled abysmally. Your horizontal momentum trying to make jumps was almost nothing.

The 3DS parkour feels better, but the levels go on way too long and can be even worse, and in general it's a more rushed product.

I have long been searching for one of your kind, they with hands the size of a bumblebee...

The Wii U's GamePad is oversized and could've been shrunken years ago if they didn't still have a stock of so many of them. I also don't dig the shoulder button layout, especially since games can't decide which set is more important.

Some of the 2D sections controlled abysmally. Your horizontal momentum trying to make jumps was almost nothing.

Actually, the real reason for this is because for some dumb fucking reason you have no air acceleration. I think you can decelerate, but sometimes when you jump, you are locked in to whatever speed you were traveling at once your feet left the ground, so jumping from a standstill can be a death sentence.

Village

CnnNyQmUEAEQ3ZX.jpg
Fuck the anniversary party, this is the real shit.

Seriously though help i'm dying of laughter, help why is anthony mackie here

Help

HELP!

Sciz

This just gets more incredible with every new piece of art. If the full thing ever actually comes out, it's going to be absolutely glorious.

You know, I forgot who Lara Su was since I don't read the comics, so I looked her up:

Lara-Su was Knuckles's and Julie-Su's daughter from the alternate future timeline known as Light Mobius. She was initially at odds with her father, who refused to allow her to become a Guardian. Eventually, he relented however, only for that future to be warped almost beyond recognition by an alteration of history from King Sonic. Lara-Su and a few others recalled the rightful timeline, and together fought the despotic King Shadow. Lara-Su herself ended the fight by imprisoning him with Chaos Control. Serving as a Guardian for five years, she also became a member of the Future Freedom Fighters when Shadow returned.

200_s.gif

Village

You know, I forgot who Lara Su was since I don't read the comics, so I looked her up:

200_s.gif

She's a bad character, who to facilitate her mary sue ness , made bad versions of the characters around her. And existed in one of the worst arcs in the entirety of sonic.... anything the future arcs. Something I could rant on about wanted to, and begun to type but decided to not waste too much time on that. So i'll put it simply.

Similar to peoples complains to sonic boom's shadow. You know you messed up when people who hate shadow go " Yo what the fuck are you doing to this character"

Just giant plot holes and character contrivances to make her even function.

If you told me that arc was solely responsible for every single new mandate post penders lawsuit. I wouldn't blink and eye.

Village

So where are the Lost World PC mods that rework the game into something that's actually good?

I found that for a while, there was a lot of general disinterest in the a lot of the modding community because... they weren't interested in the game very much. Last time I checked mod development seemed... slower than usual.

They did take the D6 out of the game.... so that's good. You don't have to look a those dreamwork rejects.

But I imagine the game you want is just generations but with lost world levels modded in

Sciz

The fun part is that synopsis is mostly Ian Flynn's attempt to give some purpose and meaning to the original future story, which was a year long tumor attached to the comic that went nowhere and accomplished nothing with its time.

Regiruler

Actually, the real reason for this is because for some dumb fucking reason you have no air acceleration. I think you can decelerate, but sometimes when you jump, you are locked in to whatever speed you were traveling at once your feet left the ground, so jumping from a standstill can be a death sentence.

I think explains a lot of how the game feels.

A good version of Sonic '06 is such a weird, perverse fantasy. I don't get the desire for it! Yea, the initial gameplay looked cool, and the sight of seeing Sonic in HD for the first time was impressive, but like... after those first teasers there was no going back. You can't take away the towns, the weird story, the weird characterizations and voice acting, the crappy controls where physics aren't applied to character movement/momentum, etc and come out with something even relatively close to the same game.

Village

Stop trying to make a good version of Sonic 06 a thing. Its not going to happen.

Eh?

You can make 2/3's of that good fairly easy. As easy as modding a game is, by easy I mean Sonic generations basically providing a template for " how to make sonic or fast character play good in 3d" You can just cut the vehicle sections for shadow and be done with it. It isn't like colors where there it actually plays a it different, many of sonic's 06 levels are just platforming and speed and when isolated and put in some good gameplay would turn out quite well. The volcano would still kind of suck though. Heck here is a good version of the future level in sonic generations strait up. The idea of that game being good isn't foreign, or rather a better version of it. Generations again has provided an excellent template for " how to make sonic in 3d good, do this " it makes their decision to do ... the giant mistake lost world was even stranger.

Dunno how you fix silver, since his stuff is...its more puzzle platforming, which I don't mind. But designing puzzle levels isn't sonic teams strong suit.

Sciz

In actual comic news, Mega Drive marks the first time a Sonic comic has sold out, and is getting a second printing.

And since the writer himself tweeted it, here's the issue's Off Panel:

Tizoc

In actual comic news, Mega Drive marks the first time a Sonic comic has sold out, and is getting a second printing.

Yesh thismone was brilliant
I think ill order 3 copies one for me, and 2 for my other relatives

Village

Its good
Iirc main sth book sales went down, with the last non throw back stuff.

I've never bought an Archie Sonic comic before (Being in the UK it was STC or bust when I was a kid) but daaayum the Mega Drive comic is great. Ok, the story isn't really up to much, but it made me realise how much I missed the classic design of the characters. Everyone is drawn beautifully. Don't get me wrong, Modern Sonic is great, especially in Generations and Lost World, but one modern game with classic characters couldn't hurt, right?

Given the slashes before and after, I'm assuming it's either the name of an imageboard, or a specific thread of an imageboard (like 4chan's /vg/).

"Penders announced on his Twitter account that his characters were no longer echidna but Echyd'nya, an alien species."

giphy.gif

I... I almost want Lara Su Chronicles Elsewhere to come out just to see the fuckery of it all.

Once it all settles in you'll just start laughing on contact.

I'm sure, but goddamn. What were people's reaction in real time?

Sciz

You were GAF famous long before there was ever a formal SonicGAF. It was always more of a celebrity guest spot.

I guess there's a nonzero chance they're finally doing a Taxman port, but it's probably just a placeholder for the anniversary game.

To the lawsuit? A mix of befuddlement and rage, aimed at both him and Archie's terrible legal staff as the case worked its way through the system. Ken never had a whole lot of goodwill to work with, but most of it burned away here outside of his small pool of crazyass die hard fans.

To the ongoing LSC art drip feed? Endless bemusement, with a side of utter shock that twenty years later his art had only gotten worse. People were doing studies of the first few pieces to point out exactly why it was godawful work.

Village

Once it all settles in you'll just start laughing on contact.

Speaking of which

Help
I have run out or can't , and laughing wont cease
giphy.gif

I... I almost want Lara Su Chronicles Elsewhere to come out just to see the fuckery of it all.

I wait , patiently for that day. I might actually laughing.

To the lawsuit? A few reactions most of them could be filled under " fuck penders" but for me personally, I was beyond confused. Because he wanted custody of characters who... outside of sonic.. aren't worth jack shit. In sonic they weren't really worth much. Heck after the suit was said and done, sega wanted to get rid of ALL the archie characters. And to be honest... I wouldn't have minded. But the point is the characters like the ff who were around sonic most of the time weren't even worth that much. Archie had to argue for their continued use, so this gentleman... this god among men here wanted to start a suit for characters worth even less than that. And won.

So basically the reaction was " fuck penders" " why is he doing this " " Oh shit he one" " fuck him now the comic has to reboot "

Because despite me finding a lot of the archie exclusive guy's bad , and just badly designed ( i'm not too miffed he whipped a lot of those guys) there were people who genuinely enjoyed those characters. Its why Ian strait up talks about not wanting to bring thrash back, because thrash threw all of knuckle's family in a lawsuit worm hole. And basically giant comic avatar for everyone's sour disposition towards ken. So... people were miffed a little. And confused , and concerned for ken's mental health

And then later, bollers or whatever his name is found out he owned all the characters he created for that comic because of ken. And he waned them to stay in the comic, so... bonus fuck penders. Although hope being gone is a bonus.

Village

Dark age? Eh yeah?

It wasn't all bad, there were very interesting idea's. Like the echidina's weren't all bad, some of them were pretty interesting. There were a lot of interesting story ideas. And characters elements. Like for example of the new mandates caused by this lawsuit and reboot forbids you know romance. And romance whilst doing a lot of bad, caused two of my favorite moments in sonic... ever.

The first being tails fighting sonic , standing up for himself, and bopping sonic. Like that was legit cool, you know who would probably beat sonic in a fight, the genius he keeps around that knows his weakness. That was a legitimately cool idea, that sega probably wont ever do because... every time they try to give tails.. independence or actually argue with sonic. People complain, because tails must be perfect obedient and nothing. That said that cool moment was spurred on by tails being a simp to a character who turned evil for fuck all reason , because tails was orginally simping to a robotic version of that character. So it was pretty pathetic, and it all took place during one of the worst arcs in sonic... ever.

The 2nd cool moment is amy's entre character. So sonic and sally are like two pieces of toast, ain't nothing much going on really. But they were in a relationship thing I guess, so amy had to get over it. And she did, and turns out she's way cooler than sonic ever will be in his life. And that character change was a legitimately like cool.... thing. And post reboot she retained... a lot of her character, tails too he's a bit of a cynic. But I liked the catalyst which is , she just grew up and got over sonic and became cooler than sonic.

Don't take these two moments as reasons to find old issues. These are gems in the ocean of shit that were the sonic comic's during that era. There are few things in my life were I can look back an unapologetically call most if not all of it a shit , and the sonic comics back then fall under that.

To the degree in which I feel like its insulting to the games of that period to compare it actually. Becuse besides Shadow's game.. which I think is ok rather than terrible. And the garbage dump fire that was 06, there was a lot actual good sonic content like handheld games and heroes ( even though I hate that game ) and the adventure re releases and the first couple riders games in the 00's. Just two bad games released in quick succession put a weird rain cloud over that period. When its not the worst thing.

Its kind of like now where there were two in a half main 3d sonic games that were good, and sonic 4 was meh. And then Sonic lost world and ROL came out and now sonic is"dead again" and a "joke". Its soured the period when in actuality isn't really reflective of it.

Where as the comic was mostly shit.

oh

oh no

what is that face

what is that pose

why isn't he wearing any pants

edit: okay, I take it back, Ken can still horrify me for a while.

You ever see like a character and you can imagine the voice, I get a Billy Dee Williams vibe from this dude. So I keep imagining this character trying to be taken seriously speaking in the voice of Billy Dee with no pants. And I can't stop laughing.

Sciz

I meant all of it: The Ken Penders run, lawsuits, and Lara-su. But you guys pretty much answered it.

Ken's run on the series is a whole other kettle of fish, as he was one of the writers they brought in when the series started to take a more serious turn away from its slapstick origins. He's not the only guy responsible for the following by a long shot, but he was one of the two lead writers, and I can't really talk about the response to that era of the comic without describing the comic itself, so...

There was virtually no oversight or quality control from Sega or Archie's editorial staff during his run, so there's a whole lot of crazy going on in the main series over the course of over a hundred issues as it progressively kills Robotnik, introduces a bunch of characters to fill the void left by his absence, brings Robotnik back, does a crappy SA1 adaptation, spends a whole lot of time getting bogged down with family drama and romantic tension, and generally fucks around. A whole bunch of long-running plot threads get set up in this period, none of which would ever be resolved satisfactorily as the writers had no idea where they were going with any of it and didn't really talk to each other. Some people consider the story where they killed Robotnik to be the series' high water mark. Those people are crazy. The comic begins to develop its reputation for being awful in the time after that story, especially once it starts pandering directly to shippers. It is also commonly ugly, as only a handful of the regular artists have an appealing art style, or any idea how to draw Sonic in the first place.

Over the course of this period, the Knuckles spinoff series got started and died an ignoble death, and it's where most of Ken's effort went for a few years. The lack of oversight meant he could write the shitty knockoff Superman soap opera of his dreams and nobody would say no. Poor writing and generally poor art got it killed after 32 issues. It had its fans, somehow. Not enough of them to keep the book alive, mind.

Unfortunately, the Knuckles series dying didn't actually excise its content from the main series, as Knuckles stories started running as backups in the main series on a regular basis. He spends three years being green for no particular reason, dies, gets better, and then aliens invade.

Sonic spends six months dicking around in space, which includes such brilliant ideas as knocking off Sonic the Comic and Star Wars' pod racing, then comes back, and the series meanders around aimlessly for another three years as it tries to mix up the formula by giving Robotnik two robotic children, clears out some of the relationship drama, gets into more relationship drama, brings back an old dead character no one liked in the first place, tries to flesh out Shadow, ties up one of the long running subplots in the worst way imaginable, gets way too wrapped up in the evil parallel universe that's been kicking around forever, and gets into even more relationship drama. Ken burns a year of this period doing stories about the future in a long series of essentially plotless backup stories, which is what forms the basis for the LSC. It was popular among fans, possibly because its slice-of-life nature was ultimately more palatable than anything else that was going on at the time.

By the end of all that (in 2006, no less), the comic's sales were suffering so much that the people at Archie who were supposed to be keeping an eye on this stuff woke up and sacked basically all of the creative team, improving the series tenfold overnight in the eyes of everyone but some diehard echidna fans, who would go on to whine incessantly about how they didn't get enough attention until the lawsuit forced them to be written out entirely years later, followed promptly by a full reboot.

I say all that to say that, while the comic had enough fans to keep it alive for all those years, and there are flashes of quality here and there, there are very good reasons why the general public looks at basically anything from that period of time and goes "what the fuck is going on".

Tizoc

I like how ian flynn started fleaning up the comic by graduslly getting rid of the old stuff and introducing better and fun stories and characters

Top Bottom