• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

...and complete:

FftB8Fq.png

EDIT: Hey, a new page for a new universe, how fitting.

Sciz

You guys are the best.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #104

Song: Cool Edge - Day
Game: Sonic Unleashed
Composer: Tomoya Ohtani

Electric Bass: Takeshi Taneda
Electric Guitars: Chewtaro Moritake

We've had plenty of Unleashed music, but I've managed to go three and a half months without hitting a day theme. No longer!

Until the last couple years threw out everything I thought I knew about the guy, I would've pointed to this as being the quintessential Ohtani piece. The drums are inhumanly fast, the bass is groovy (seriously, listen to Taneda go, the man's a machine), the intro is long, and he gets slightly more mileage than he should out of the phrases that make up the melody. If you're trying to mimic the Unleashed sound, follow the AAAB pattern he used in this track and several others. This one in particular goes something like AAABAAABCCCDEEEF, and the loop only mixes up the C's. It sounds great all the same, but it does wear thin a little quickly.

Waaaaaaait, the comics are available digitally?

Have been for a while now, from at least two different sources.

Cool Edge is the shit, it's perfect for keeping in tune with the stage setting and for a stage that mostly consists of Sonic blazing a fast trail across a large open landmass, fast paced while suitably icy sounding.
It and Savannah Citadel have crept right up the ranks of my favourite Unleashed tracks in recent years.

BlackJace

You guys are the best.

We've had plenty of Unleashed music, but I've managed to go three and a half months without hitting a day theme. No longer!

Until the last couple years threw out everything I thought I knew about the guy, I would've pointed to this as being the quintessential Ohtani piece. The drums are inhumanly fast, the bass is groovy (seriously, listen to Taneda go, the man's a machine), the intro is long, and he gets slightly more mileage than he should out of the phrases that make up the melody. If you're trying to mimic the Unleashed sound, follow the AAAB pattern he used in this track and several others. This one in particular goes something like AAABAAABCCCDEEEF, and the loop only mixes up the C's. It sounds great all the same, but it does wear thin a little quickly.

Have been for a while now, from at least two different sources.

Huh, well I'm way behind, then.

Razzer

Cool edge is the level that makes me wanna finally play unleashed at some point, or rather the generations mod for ease of use (no werehog). The massive open spaces, running across water, the AMAZING art direction (seriously this is one of the best looking sections of any game this gen imo, the lighting and colour is superb). The music keeps up with this quality. Any technical points have been covered so I'll just say it kinda sounds icy, fitting the stage well.

Rikkun

My god, Lost World is terrible.

The ice, the jumps, the glitches, some stupid enemies, the climbing, farming flickies, the boss battles.
What the fuck where they thinking.

Not sure why he didn't do Shadow or Final Story. Doesn't seem like much of a speedrun if you quit playing halfway through.

It's to do with unlocking character checkpoints, you can glitch all 3 characters to get the credits but this does not unlock the final chapter, the key for unlocking that seems to be somewhere else in the game and not actually the credits.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #105

Song: Sad Ending
Game: Shadow the Hedgehog
Composer: Yutaka Minobe

I really want Sega to find an excuse for Minobe to do an all-piano soundtrack a la Kirby's Epic Yarn. The man's exceptionally talented and benefits every game he's been involved in, but the best he's ever managed is playing second fiddle to Senoue a couple times. The guy who can wring genuine emotion out of this game with little more than a light touch on the ivories and some soft pads deserves the chance to shine.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #106
Vocal Track!

Song: Fight the Knight
Game: Sonic and the Black Knight
Composer: Jun Senoue
Lyrics: Johnny Gioeli
Strings arranged by: Richard Jacques

Vocals: Johnny Gioeli
Guitars: Jun Senoue
Bass: Takeshi Taneda
Drums: Toru Kawamura

Senoue's actually really good at writing classic style 40 second boss loops. Who knew? As usual his talent only reveals itself when he's writing for a vocalist (c.f. Sonic 4), but still, I like the full blown Crush 40 production values in this smaller, catchier format. Live and Learn's the closest equivalent of their earlier work, and you can find a lot of 16-bit mixes of it, but I'd like to see someone tackle this piece instead.

Razzer

Vocal Track!

Song: Fight the Knight/

Black Knight actually has very good vocal themes throughout, which is interesting. Arguably the most good ones in any sonic game. This is up with the best, along with Knight of the Wind. It has all the intensity a boss theme needs,and the string section works perfectly with the rocking guitars etc towards the end. Me likesy a lot.

Edit: Schala, when you say you 'rushed out' those posts...

I can't help but think that of all the games to bring Crush 40 back for Black Knight was one of the odder themed ones they could have gone with.

The Queen has returned with some tomes.

Soundtrack of the Year 1
Soundtrack of the Year 2
Soundtrack of the Year 3
Soundtrack of the Year 4

No one's going to read any of that, hahahahahaha.

Good lists to those who've posted in the thread, by the way. I read them yesterday.

I guess I call you Eloqueen now.
I am going to make a coffee and then tackle those tomes, if I don't come back assume I sank into the sea of sounds.

Well while we're self promoting lists...
GAMES
MUSIC
Numerical ranks for the top 5 games don't really mean anything, I found all 5 pretty equal as it stands.
I was too tapped out to deal with any of Gafs other listing threads like most anticipated games and characters even if I did have 10 in mind for both.

Vocal Track!

Song: Fight the Knight

Senoue's actually really good at writing classic style 40 second boss loops. Who knew? As usual his talent only reveals itself when he's writing for a vocalist (c.f. Sonic 4), but still, I like the full blown Crush 40 production values in this smaller, catchier format. Live and Learn's the closest equivalent of their earlier work, and you can find a lot of 16-bit mixes of it, but I'd like to see someone tackle this piece instead.

I'll keep saying it, Black Knight and Shadow have the best vocal soundtracks of the series.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic and the Black Knight has some of the best vocal themes in the series, there I said it. Fight the Knight is super-fun to listen to.

WB Schala, I made this while you were away, would like your input pls~
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=746884&highlight=
Maybe a next day since I'm not in the right mood to type up anything lengthy right now.

I guess I call you Eloqueen now.
I am going to make a coffee and then tackle those tomes, if I don't come back assume I sank into the sea of sounds.

Well while we're self promoting lists...
GAMES
MUSIC
Numerical ranks for the top 5 games don't really mean anything, I found all 5 pretty equal as it stands.
I was too tapped out to deal with any of Gafs other listing threads like most anticipated games and characters even if I did have 10 in mind for both.
We had other listing threads while I was gone? No thanks. GotY and SotY take way too much out of me and I don't feel like writing another tome outside of those.

In fact, I don't even know if I have a GotY this year. :/

I'm a little surprised with your Rayman Legends mention, though. I can't remember if it was you who said they felt a little underwhelmed by it. Or maybe I'm the one who's projecting. I can't remember.

Edit: Schala, when you say you 'rushed out' those posts...
I wrote them yesterday and this morning, yes. That's rushing.

Professor Beef's Reign of Terror IS OVER!
Beef was telling me off of GAF that there was no terror involved, which means he was fibbing big-time.

CAN IT BE STOPPED!?
To be fair...

Sega stopped it.

Dario ff

Banned
No one's going to read any of that, hahahahahaha.
I read the first one for obvious reasons. I held off on playing that game until the PC version was out, not to mention I didn't have that much interest on it. The technical implementation of Wwise and the tracks on this game is amazing and incredibly memorable. They just blend so seamlessly regardless of what part of the track is playing. That last fight wouldn't be nearly as powerful if it wasn't for the song's lyrics just fitting so well.

A pretty damn sweet game if I might add, currently finishing a second playthrough. Starting 2014 very nicely already.

Top Bottom