• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Razzer

Does TLoU even have a good soundtrack, or is it just atmospheric shit that's been all the rage in AAA games lately and people are upvoting it because GAF has a Naughty Dog fetish?

It's actually really good. Nert did a write up for it somewhere in the thread, you should read it. He actually addresses the whole atmospheric thing.

Edit: Here you go

Sciz

If only someone had voted in the thread if they felt that strongly, why it could've even broke the ummm...top 20!

I might still write it up for its own sake, but for voting I just hadn't played enough 2013 titles to feel like I had a broad enough perspective, and I never could settle on a third choice anyway.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Pfft, you could've voted for just one thing.

But yeah, I was wondering if you'd do something for Lost World because I probably wouldn't have. I still have to do a writeup for Attack of the Friday Monsters when I'm free.

I read the first one for obvious reasons. I held off on playing that game until the PC version was out, not to mention I didn't have that much interest on it. The technical implementation of Wwise and the tracks on this game is amazing and incredibly memorable. They just blend so seamlessly regardless of what part of the track is playing. That last fight wouldn't be nearly as powerful if it wasn't for the song's lyrics just fitting so well.

A pretty damn sweet game if I might add, currently finishing a second playthrough. Starting 2014 very nicely already.
Wow, that's pretty cool. Thanks for the info, I had no idea that's what it used. I always love learning more about the technical implementation of this stuff.

But I agree. A lot of the fights just wouldn't have the same gravity without the lyrical content supplementing it.

Crossposting from FF thread:
The dogs name is now Beck.

Someone pls make a mod replacing Lightning's character model with Beck without actually changing any of it's animations much like Pelé the Beloved Dog.
Paging Melpontro.

Eh. Fifth is better than it deserves, but low enough that I can't get too worked up over it. Nintendo's gotta start putting more guys on these games; Yokota can't write a whole soundtrack of consistent quality when all the help he's got is Kondo half-assing a couple pieces.

Lost World got robbed.

Eh, I'm fine with Lost World not placing, mainly just because (as I said before) I feel that it doesn't have is own real identity, just like the game itself, as well as Ohtani being stretched way to thinly across the whole thing. The some track that Naofumi Hataya did sounded more Sonic-y than half the soundtrack did.

...and do you wanna know what really got robbed?

I might still write it up for its own sake, but for voting I just hadn't played enough 2013 titles to feel like I had a broad enough perspective, and I never could settle on a third choice anyway.

Don't really need to play the games to experience the soundtracks; just look at how high Tearaway placed!

PKrockin

Eh. Fifth is better than it deserves, but low enough that I can't get too worked up over it. Nintendo's gotta start putting more guys on these games; Yokota can't write a whole soundtrack of consistent quality when all the help he's got is Kondo half-assing a couple pieces.

Lost World got robbed.

So Yokota is the reason I'm finding that 3D World has so many more memorable tracks than previous NSMB games and 3D Land?

Hisstocrat, both athletic themes, the main theme, the fairy's theme, world 1 map theme, etc. etc.

Sciz

Don't really need to play the games to experience the soundtracks; just look at how high Tearaway placed!

You don't have to, no, but I'm not too keen on listening to soundtracks in a void unless it's a composer I'm already familiar with. Poked around AA5's music a bit, for example, and while it was nice enough, that's a series I really need the context for the music to hit home.

So Yokota is the reason I'm finding that 3D World has so many more memorable tracks than previous NSMB games and 3D Land?

Hisstocrat, both athletic themes, the main theme, the fairy's theme, world 1 map theme, etc. etc.

Whichever athletic shares its melody with another piece is Kondo's, but yeah.

Regiruler

I would have voted for MGR had it been on PC released in time for the poll.
I gave it an honorable mention because I hadn't played it yet but I liked what I heard.

Quite honestly it deserved the win.

Anth0ny

the final boss in pokemon colosseum is fucking insane

You have to fight an elite 5 leading up to him. can't use items on Pokemon (healing/revives) between battles. his team is 5+ levels stronger than the last guy you fought, and consists of all fucking top tier Pokemon

oh, of course, if you lose, you have to re-fight the entire elite 5 AGAIN

not sure how I'm going to do this...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
someone slap me

they're all free with that free 15-day trial of ps+, so why not.

bd7aqfhciaae1wmvvu03.jpg

At least I didn't have to pay out the butt to get them!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wait, is this only for JPN PSN? Does this not exist in the States?
I think we do, but I don't usually see it around when I'm looking at the store (though tbh, I just know what I'm gonna grab and I just get it and go). I know Payday 2 had one. But the way Full Game Trials work is that you have a set amount of time to play the game in, and once the trial period has ended, you will no longer have access to that content. And you can only download it once. Edit: Oh, and if you're playing them for trophies, they unlock in the XMB, but they don't sync. I think they disappear after a few months if you don't purchase the game.

Different from when you get the licenses to play some games that are "free" when you have PS+.

FSLink

Banned
Are those only available on JPN PSN on an actual PS3? I'm not seeing them on the webstore.

EDIT: "Both games will leave the full game trial section on January 14."

Son of a....:( Hopefully still accessible on an actual PS3 PSN before I get home.

Siliconera also posted this a month ago:
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/1...an-play-lightning-returns-hour-tales-2-hours/

So supposedly, Lightning Returns for 1 hour, ToS/ToS2 for 2 hours. Okay, not as upset that I might have missed it now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I only noticed the deal today when I was kicking around the store. Kinda sucks because I would've liked to have played them on the weekend. Oh well.

Sorta want to check out ToS, though, for the 30fps thing.

Looks like these can only be played for 60 minutes before they tell you to buy it, so if you feel like it's worth it, go for it.

Siliconera also posted this months ago:
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/1...an-play-lightning-returns-hour-tales-2-hours/

So supposedly, Lightning Returns for 1 hour, ToS/ToS2 for 2 hours. Okay, not as upset that I might have missed it now.
Ewwwwww. Glad I didn't put some bandwidth towards ToS/ToS2 then. That would've been a waste.

LR, though, I'm fine with. Demo didn't let me customize as much, and I can skip cutscenes.

Edit: Steins;Gate was free?! Augh, I bought and finished the Vita version this summer and I could've waited. ;-;

FSLink

Banned
Ewwwwww. Glad I didn't put some bandwidth towards ToS/ToS2 then. That would've been a waste.

LR, though, I'm fine with. Demo didn't let me customize as much.

Edit: Steins;Gate was free?! Augh, I bought and finished the Vita version this summer and I could've waited. ;-;
How many gigs is ToS/ToS2 anyway?

Steins;Gate is still free at the moment, I'd grab it but language barrier. :( Keep hearing good things about it too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
How many gigs is ToS/ToS2 anyway?

Steins;Gate is still free at the moment, I'd grab it but language barrier. :( Keep hearing good things about it too.
Steins;Gate is great; illustrates the themes of cause/effect, time travel, and choices pretty well. It's too bad the English PC version isn't out yet. Music's not bad.

ToS is 4.7 GB. ToS2 is 3.2 GB.

Tizoc

^Eng. release will be in Late Feb. IIRC.
Bleh seems I am not eligible for another 15 day JPN Plus trial since I already used one some weeks ago =V

Also made a Nintendo ID since a co-worker borrowed my 3DS to play Pokemon Y and he asked me to transfer his Pokemon so that he could later play Pokemon X on his system.
So how the heck do I send my Pokemon to the internet with my NNID again?

My NNID is: balushiftw

FSLink

Banned
^Eng. release will be in Late Feb. IIRC.
Bleh seems I am not eligible for another 15 day JPN Plus trial since I already used one some weeks ago =V

Also made a Nintendo ID since a co-worker borrowed my 3DS to play Pokemon Y and he asked me to transfer his Pokemon so that he could later play Pokemon X on his system.
So how the heck do I send my Pokemon to the internet with my NNID again?

My NNID is: balushiftw
Pokemon Bank is currently down (in Japan, got delayed everywhere else) if that's what you're asking.

So the only way is through trading assuming he just wants stuff from his Pokemon Y and not from prior gens. :p

Bank needs to hurry up and release so I can have a full Pokedex minus the unreleased X/Y legendaries. And neat if Steins;Gate English release is next month, been wanting to check it out for awhile.

Tizoc

Pokemon Bank is currently down (in Japan, got delayed everywhere else) if that's what you're asking.

So the only way is through trading assuming he just wants stuff from his Pokemon Y and not from prior gens. :p

Bank needs to hurry up and release so I can have a full Pokedex minus the unreleased X/Y legendaries. And neat if Steins;Gate English release is next month, been wanting to check it out for awhile.

Ah so for trading we both need to be running the game, and I go to the trade area and we trade them right?

qq more

There's no trading area actually. Just start up the online feature in the game from the bottom screen, select your friend and select trade!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've been leaving Awesome Games Done Quick streaming on my computer for 8+ hours a day the last week+. I really feel sorry for you.
I should be getting new internet at the end of the month because we had to put 3 types of services on our overall bill with one company so apparently it will get better!

Upgraded Canadian Internet!

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #108
Double Header!

Song: Town Mission 2 / Town Mission 3
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Composer: Tomoya Ohtani

Guitars: Chewtaro Moritake

Two short pieces today. Mission 2 sounds like it's going to follow the standard blues progression, but suddenly takes a left and turns into a little surf rock ditty instead. Love the weird drumming style. Mission 3 wears its ska on its sleeve, and like so many of the series' other short side pieces, I only wish it were longer.

Well, I requested the mods take away my car keys for the next few days due to having a paper so mindnumbingly boring that the only way to complete it is to seclude myself away from the world since I'm only gonna be able to focus on it for so long before I go nuts, so farewell guys.

BlackJace

Well, I requested the mods take away my car keys for the next few days due to having a paper so mindnumbingly boring that the only way to complete it is to seclude myself away from the world since I'm only gonna be able to focus on it for so long before I go nuts, so farewell guys.

Good luck.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Looking back on this...

I like to imagine she finally just blew up at some stupid post, after years of holding it in

"Ok, I wasn't gonna say anything, BUT FUCK YOU NIGGA WITH YOUR DRIVE-BY TROLLING IN THE SOUNDTRACK OF THE YEAR THREAD!"
I've been tempted far too many times to write something like this in the last 4 months or so but I always delete what I wrote because I feel like I'd be a meanie, and I feel like it wouldn't be worth it in the long run.

Hell, I wrote a few yesterday, lol.

Wait what? You've been banned before? Was it when a bunch of MarvelGAF got caught up in Scangate?
Nah, everyone got banned while I was sleeping so I didn't even have a chance to use them lol. I got banned in a Famitsu thread for asking where to find scans of the new character in Persona 4 Golden. I never found those scans, either. Not to this day.
I've been tempted far too many times to write something like this in the last 4 months or so but I always delete what I wrote because I feel like I'd be a meanie

"Meanie?" That is just so....you, Schala. :lol

Top Bottom