• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Sciz

Time to install one of these:

terror_levelsggseh.jpg

We had other listing threads while I was gone? No thanks. GotY and SotY take way too much out of me and I don't feel like writing another tome outside of those.

In fact, I don't even know if I have a GotY this year. :/

I'm a little surprised with your Rayman Legends mention, though. I can't remember if it was you who said they felt a little underwhelmed by it. Or maybe I'm the one who's projecting. I can't remember.
I always wanted to like Origins more than I actually did ergo it left me disappointed so maybe that's where you're getting this angle from, Legends on the other hand I really enjoyed a lot more based on the small tweaks to the gameplay from the word go. Still pains me it falls short of reaching the very top because Murfy business, I can't play in multiplayer all the time unfortunately and that's the only thing that makes the levels truly worthwhile.

Eh, I didn't really have a really definitive GotY either, towards the end of this year I was kind of banking on Mario to sweep my off my feet to just take it and make my life easier but it didn't quite work out that way so I just went with a top 3 that pulled my out of my gaming slump from earlier this year. So just go with whichever game made you feel the jolliest during the 2013 doldrums (thankfully that year is over now).

Finally finished my Sonic Lost World 3DS review. Finally.

http://www.sonicretro.org/2014/01/sonic-lost-world-3ds-the-retro-review/

I like how this review addresses my main thought upon reading this post, "did it take this long to review because it was that bad?"
Why yes, yes it did.
It almost makes the Wii U version sound pretty good by comparison.

Rikkun

I always wanted to like Origins more than I actually did ergo it left me disappointed so maybe that's where you're getting this angle from, Legends on the other hand I really enjoyed a lot more based on the small tweaks to the gameplay from the word go. Still pains me it falls short of reaching the very top because Murfy business, I can't play in multiplayer all the time unfortunately and that's the only thing that makes the levels truly worthwhile.

Eh, I didn't really have a really definitive GotY either, towards the end of this year I was kind of banking on Mario to sweep my off my feet to just take it and make my life easier but it didn't quite work out that way so I just went with a top 3 that pulled my out of my gaming slump from earlier this year. So just go with whichever game made you feel the jolliest during the 2013 doldrums (thankfully that year is over now).

I like how this review addresses my main thought upon reading this post, "did it take this long to review because it was that bad?"
Why yes, yes it did.
It almost makes the Wii U version sound pretty good by comparison.
You gotta be kidding me. No way.

Still pains me it falls short of reaching the very top because Murfy business, I can't play in multiplayer all the time unfortunately and that's the only thing that makes the levels truly worthwhile.

I thought one or two of the character unlock stages that used him, and the bits that were used for daily challenges, showed that it could be a decent single player mechanic if implemented properly. When the AI character is moving along at a decent clip it can be fun manipulating the environment to let them through, quickly poking, sliding and flicking things about to ensure their continued passage. Like a variation of an autorunner, or a continuation of the Ivy the Kiwi? concept. Done properly, and as a bonus stage per world, that'd be ace.

The problem is that very few of the actual (and overly plentiful; they make up way too much of the game) Murfy stages ever actually have that, instead featuring a character that ambles along like they were enjoying a relaxing evening stroll.

Komo

Banned
Finally finished my Sonic Lost World 3DS review. Finally.

http://www.sonicretro.org/2014/01/sonic-lost-world-3ds-the-retro-review/

Oh dear. I knew it wasn't that great, but I didn't know it was terrible.
I was thinking of picking it up sometime later on but maybe I'll wait for it to show up in the bargain bin.

Question though. What's up with all the negativity towards Dimps?
Actually curious. I hadn't followed handheld games for a while up until mid last year.

qq more

Oh dear. I knew it wasn't that great, but I didn't know it was terrible.
I was thinking of picking it up sometime later on but maybe I'll wait for
it to show up in the bargain bin.

Actually curious. I hadn't followed handheld games for a while up until
mid last year.

Dimps sort of has the tendency to either make a good Sonic game (which is rare) or a really awful one. IMHO their worst work is Sonic Rush for DS, but Lost World 3DS looks worse though...

You gotta be kidding me. No way.
Hah well lets just say I remember watching some footage of the 3DS game that involved using the cumbersome asteroid wisp to precision platform in a 3D space, not even the Wii U version is that cruel.

I thought one or two of the character unlock stages that used him, and the bits that were used for daily challenges, showed that it could be a decent single player mechanic if implemented properly. When the AI character is moving along at a decent clip it can be fun manipulating the environment to let them through, quickly poking, sliding and flicking things about to ensure their continued passage. Like a variation of an autorunner, or a continuation of the Ivy the Kiwi? concept. Done properly, and as a bonus stage per world, that'd be ace.

The problem is that very few of the actual (and overly plentiful; they make up way too much of the game) Murfy stages ever actually have that, instead featuring a character that ambles along like they were enjoying a relaxing evening stroll.

This is a actually a good point that I almost forgot, the fast paced challenge room runs like Murfy's Dungeon were pretty great and stayed true to the fast flowing gameplay style Rayman typically employs. On this point I'm imagining that you could make an interesting Music stage out of Murfy's mechanics.

A big problem with the ambling Sir Globox of standard murfy stages was that you couldn't halt his progress of your own will, figuring out how he was going to move next could be straight up guesswork leading to some frustrating moments where you knew where you wanted him to go but couldn't quite get him there. Speaking of moving at ones own pace the Greek/Underworld Murfy stages with the movable shield were easily the best ones to play in single player since it felt as if you actually had some degree of control. As it stands the stages were still too frequent, the game even starts you in one which I find utterly bizarre but honestly I find them on par with the Mosquito stuff in Origins in single player at least, as I said previously multiplayer makes a big difference.

Perhaps third time will be the charm, I wouldn't be averse to the team cracking on a final entry making a little trilogy where the third game just does what it does best and platforms away without any of the other diversions taking up a third of the game. Unless that's grounds for "wasting" talent making easy arse 2D platformers that anyone can do of course.

Actually curious. I hadn't followed handheld games for a while up until mid last year.

Dimps has developed a reputation for making Sonic games with some pretty awful difficulty spikes. They're made up of former SNK and Capcom dudes (and I feel like the SNK really shines through in Sonic Advance, whose sprites animate like they fell out of Metal Slug).

Dimps' Sonic games have a tendency to throw you in to situations where things happen before you can react. You'll be launched in to a bottomless pit, or a bed of spikes will pop out of the floor for no reason, or you won't have enough rings for something, etc. It all seems fitting in a way when you consider the origins of the company, but it makes for frustrating games that emphasize trial-and-error memorization.

In more recent times, Dimps' Sonic games have just seemed really sloppy. They have been phoning things in for a while now. Their games lack a required level of polish, and they range from simple boneheaded mistakes like the boss encounters in Sonic 4 Episode 2 to the bloated, awful, tedious level design of Sonic Lost World 3DS. (Both of those links go to my reviews, and just to round it out: here's a link to my Lost World Wii U video review again).

The real question here is how much Sonic Team is responsible for Dimps' output. Dimps never has their name front and center; all of the Sonic Advance games, Sonic Rush, etc. all self-identify as "Sonic Team" games and it's only during the credits do you see Dimps get their dues. Supposedly Sonic Team works with Dimps, but to what extent is not known, but it could explain the varying quality of their output.

Rikkun

finally posted my goty list

spoilers: sonic lost world is not #1

You didn't even list it, how could you :(

I finally reached Lava Mountain Act 2. Double Game Over, fuck this game. Just when you think carts with bombs are the worst they move you behind Sonic and make it so thatk you have to avoid by strafing right and left BUT while speeding or you're dead.

Why.

AniHawk

well I'm glad somebody remembered Runner2

pretty much everything in that top ten, i played after the last of us. there was a time when the last of us was my #2 game behind fire emblem, but it slowly was knocked down. it probably would have stayed, low on the list, if not for gone home.

Sciz

That SSD can't get here fast enough.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #107

Song: Music Plant Act 1
Game: Sonic Advance 2
Composer: Yutaka Minobe

It isn't that Advance 1 and 2 have bad music, but the composers' ambitions outstripped the hardware's capabilities by a country mile. There's a great salsa piece buried here given Sonic Team's console-grade production quality, but the GBA just can't push the sample quality it needs, and the whole thing falls as flat as it sounds.

Revengeance is pretty good.

Although I keep flubbing fights. For some reason I keep walking away with Bs (occasionally Cs) in spite of doing, frankly, totally awful at them. I dunno.

Also managed to get every single civilian killed, and failed to get a single left hand to unlock that door, necessitating me to chop the lock down. Blegh.

Normal difficulty, in case anyone cared. I know everyone suggests Hard or higher, but I generally stink at character action games, and didn't really feel like having my ass handed to me from the get-go, but also didn't want to go Easy and have that "we'll push the stick in the correct direction to parry for you" thing kick in accidentally.

BHZ Mayor

pretty much everything in that top ten, i played after the last of us. there was a time when the last of us was my #2 game behind fire emblem, but it slowly was knocked down. it probably would have stayed, low on the list, if not for gone home.

Coming from you, I'm surprised The Last of Us was mentioned at all.

Tizoc

well I'm glad somebody remembered Runner2

It's in my GotY list too, though one thing I've come to realize:
Trophies can really hurt how you enjoy a game, like with Rayman Legends online challenges. not that they're bad, but when I had to replay Legends...I was reminded of just how much I enjoyed and loved the game's charm.
Funnily enough, trophies didn't bother me much with Runner2, but dear god the Mounting Sadds hurt my eyes on PS3 x_x

AniHawk

It's in my GotY list too, though one thing I've come to realize:
Trophies can really hurt how you enjoy a game, like with Rayman Legends online challenges. not that they're bad, but when I had to replay Legends...I was reminded of just how much I enjoyed and loved the game's charm.
Funnily enough, trophies didn't bother me much with Runner2, but dear god the Mounting Sadds hurt my eyes on PS3 x_x

mounting sadds was one of the explicit reasons why runner2 didn't make it higher on my list. i had to change costumes just so i could see video.

Revengeance is pretty good.

Although I keep flubbing fights. For some reason I keep walking away with Bs (occasionally Cs) in spite of doing, frankly, totally awful at them. I dunno.

Also managed to get every single civilian killed, and failed to get a single left hand to unlock that door, necessitating me to chop the lock down. Blegh.

Normal difficulty, in case anyone cared. I know everyone suggests Hard or higher, but I generally stink at character action games, and didn't really feel like having my ass handed to me from the get-go, but also didn't want to go Easy and have that "we'll push the stick in the correct direction to parry for you" thing kick in accidentally.

Getting C's or B's isn't hard. It's getting the S ranks that'll break your balls.

Razzer

That SSD can't get here fast enough.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #107

Song: Music Plant Act 1
Game: Sonic Advance 2
Composer: Yutaka Minobe

Man you can just feel the quality oozing out, which is why I get so confused as to why it makes my ears hurt. Then I remember the platform. Wait, remake the GBA games with remastered soundtracks a la Sonic CD Taxman? Why that sounds wonderful, Sega should do just that.

Tizoc

mounting sadds was one of the explicit reasons why runner2 didn't make it higher on my list. i had to change costumes just so i could see video.

Did u play the PS3 ver. b any chance? I wonder what it'd look like on a high end PC or laptop....

Anth0ny

Someone should replace Lightning with the dog Sonic 06 style

hey hey hey that dog is pretty cool but he isn't even in the same league as PELE THE BELOVED DOG

also, in pokemon colosseum, quilava's fire blast animation is it literally turning around, bending over, and farting it out. can't make this stuff up.

OMG Aero

I should probably play Metal Gear Revengance at some point seeing how I got that for free with PS Plus.

TOO MANY GAMES NOT ENOUGH TIME

This is from a final fantasy game? I thought at least the production values were maintained in the main series...

To be fair, XIII is still gorgeous 4 years later and best rumors place the budget well above 60 million with a team of over 250 people working on it (the fact that you could play Benny Hill in the background each and every single day of development over the course of 5+ years with it never not being 100% appropriate is besides the point) . LR, on the other hand, was made on a bag of blow and a ham sandwich... and this was the result.

also, in pokemon colosseum, quilava's fire blast animation is it literally turning around, bending over, and farting it out. can't make this stuff up.
Colosseum redeemed?

I should probably play Metal Gear Revengance at some point seeing how I got that for free with PS Plus.
I'm still bitter that it turning up on EU PS+ denied me the free DLC everyone else got, what a load of Quilava's fire blast.

Does TLoU even have a good soundtrack, or is it just atmospheric shit that's been all the rage in AAA games lately and people are upvoting it because GAF has a Naughty Dog fetish?

Does TLoU even have a good soundtrack, or is it just atmospheric shit that's been all the rage in AAA games lately and people are upvoting it because GAF has a Naughty Dog fetish?

I remember guitar twangs...

That's it. I never completed the game though so I wouldn't know.

For a soundtrack that's atmospheric and actually too I would go with Red Dead Redemption, course that wasn't released this year so eh...

Top Bottom