• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
AniHawk? Rage? lol

Sarcasm that's hard to detect, maybe.

I kinda want to see some of them now to know what you would classify as 'mean'.
It isn't too far off the mark from what JC wrote, only with more paragraphs and examples from the poster's history, and with a little less swearing.

I wanna see Schala make posts like she's transforming into the Hulk mid-essay.

"That's the thing, SonicGAF...I'm always angrY AUNJ;KDRGK;BHZDBHKS> dfBHJ FUCKING SUCKS UBSZRJHGLHBKJBJSRGFBG YOU GAVE THIS A 2 WHEN YOU SAID LAST MONTH IT WAS GOTY YOU MORON BLJSAWEFUYVLBHG"

Nert

Every member of SonicGAF will have had a self-imposed ban by the end of this year

Godspeed, Crimson

If I ban myself, does that mean that I can have more time to prepare the soundtrack results thread? I'm learning this year that it's harder to run these things when I'm employed... Go figure!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Me hulking out probably won't happen, lol

If I ban myself, does that mean that I can have more time to prepare the soundtrack results thread? I'm learning this year that it's harder to run these things when I'm employed... Go figure!
You could always ask someone to post the results for you, if you wanted.

Either way, if you need help next year let some of us know. You did a good job this year, though, so don't think you didn't.

Nert

You could always ask someone to post the results for you, if you wanted.

Either way, if you need help next year let some of us know. You did a good job this year, though, so don't think you didn't.

I might take people up on that next year, but even with less time to spare, it's still been a ton of fun :D

To be honest, I'm *still* discovering new stuff while going back through everyone's ballots. Payday 2, a game I had completely ignored, actually does have some pretty great music, for example. It's cool that people have such varied tastes around here.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
YO. We gon' have that Uncolourations speedrun thing soon now that GotY is winding down.

So, we have options for:
  • straight speedruns
  • red ring speedruns (obviously excluding Unleashed)
  • possible score attack for Sonic Colours was suggested
I just want people to not feel pressured if they don't feel like they're good enough for it. I'm certainly out of practice, because this is my life at the moment:

lBVahrb.png

...so don't feel bad if you're not churning out times/scores as good as everyone else. I'd rather like to reward effort or improvement and actually start discussion of how some people got the times they did and offer tips.

With that said, I want to know a few things from you guys:
  • When is qq more going to show us the results of his best game gear levels where sonic 3d blast obviously won big awards
  • Do you want people to show picture proof that they got the times they did or would that add extra pressure?
  • Do you want me to make up a spreadsheet to keep track of people's times that only I or a few of us can edit? (that way we don't have to keep saying "quote post x to see the spreadsheet")

I might take people up on that next year, but even with less time to spare, it's still been a ton of fun :D

To be honest, I'm *still* discovering new stuff while going back through everyone's ballots. Payday 2, a game I had completely ignored, actually does have some pretty great music, for example. It's cool that people have such varied tastes around here.
I still have that Attack of the Friday Monsters thing to write up, so I will when I have some time to spare. It's very underrated and was originally in my top 6 but I was kinda running out of time and couldn't do a full writeup for it. And yeah, as I've been trying to dabble into people's lists, I've found that the GTA5 and Risk of Rain soundtracks are pretty good.

Razzer

I'd rather not have to post screenshots as I will be using 360 and taking a picture then uploading is to much hassle. I don't think there is anyone here petty enough to lie anyway, it's hardly an intense competition.

qq more

I would post results but do you guys think it'd be better if I just confirm stages as the game gets further into development? Would be sort of like Smash Bros' reveals in a way but with far less hype

qq more

i know that its here, i sense it in my feet
the great emeralds power allows me to feel
i know that it's here, its around somewhere
i have to hold my head 'cause i have no fear

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Edit:

I want qq more, pietepiet, and anyone else in here who I know dabbles in pixels and sprites to tell me what they think of this screenshot because i don't know

I would post results but do you guys think it'd be better if I just confirm stages as the game gets further into development? Would be sort of like Smash Bros' reveals in a way but with far less hype
It will take you 3000 years to finish it off and I'm old. I can't wait that long.

I'd rather not have to post screenshots as I will be using 360 and taking a picture then uploading is to much hassle. I don't think there is anyone here petty enough to lie anyway, it's hardly an intense competition.
Alright. I'm not too fond of taking pics either because I just don't want to hook up my streaming equipment every time just to take a screen of a time.

With that said, I do trust everyone in here, so I don't think anyone is up to lying about it either.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #109

Song: Land of Darkness
Film: Sonic the Movie
Composer: Mitsuhiro Tada

Really wish there were an OST for this, but people have done what they can to rip the music, thankfully. Mitsuhiro Tada seems to have based his work on Sonic CD's style, much like the animation was, and he did a good job of reproducing that funky pop sound.

Please tell me that is a very compressed snapshot because those fucking tiles are grainy and JPG'd to hell.

It is, you can see compression artifacts all around the text.

Ugly as sin, though. Assets at wildly variable resolutions, and while there might be a way to update that spritework for high res, this isn't it. Amorphous blobs of color with nothing but gradients for detail? Get out of here.

qq more

There is so much wrong with this. So much wrong. SO MUCH WRONG. I don't even know where to actually start. This is actually a huge turn off, despite it being on Android which means playable on Shield...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh man, Sciz you picked a great one. I always loved that theme. I guess that's why I love Sonic CD's Japanese soundtrack so much. The JP soundtrack and the OVA soundtracks are very synonymous for me for the reasons you said. I played Sonic CD after I watched the OVA, so I guess I always found the past music really good.

Please tell me that is a very compressed snapshot because those fucking tiles are grainy and JPG'd to hell.
I didn't bother to rehost it from the source because i just didn't care as they clearly didn't care either and didn't save it as a png.

There is so much wrong with this. So much wrong. SO MUCH WRONG. I don't even know where to actually start. This is actually a huge turn off, despite it being on Android which means playable on Shield...
Start somewhere!

The assets are all wrong.

Shit, they made a spelling error in the text, too. We Espier now.

qq more

Is there a PNG shot of that area? I want to be a little fair on the tiles but something tells me they won't look that much better in PNG lol

Really wish there were an OST for this, but people have done what they can to rip the music, thankfully. Mitsuhiro Tada seems to have based his work on Sonic CD's style, much like the animation was, and he did a good job of reproducing that funky pop sound.
I wish there was an OST for this, because the people ripping it clearly omit various parts of the thing. Here it is in context. Notice how the part around 0:22 isn't present in the rip. Granted, this is because every time it shows up (it plays twice in the song, and the song plays two times in the OVA - here, and during the Metal Sonic fight up at the ice caps - for a total of four times) it's drowned out by loud noises, but still, it means the rips floating around out there are missing details, and it annoys me.

Played more All-Stars Transformed and got the Starlight Carnival stage from Colours. Rainbow Road, eat your heart out.

How long until I unlock NiGHTS?

Oh man, Sciz you picked a great one. I always loved that theme. I guess that's why I love Sonic CD's Japanese soundtrack so much. The JP soundtrack and the OVA soundtracks are very synonymous for me for the reasons you said.

Naofumi Hataya really needs to come back and do more level tracks for Sonic games. Just that one from Lost World ain't gonna cut it.

EDIT: ...looks like Knuckles and the Chaotix make their return to the Archie comics in the next arc of Universe.

Razzer

I never watched the movie and probably never will, but this certainly sounds unique for a film piece. Sounds more at home in a game which makes sense considering it. I like it though.

Edit: Phantom, are you aware of the final unlock?

WillyFive

After watching a stream of the 3DS version... if it's anything to go by, the Wii U version is miles better. It sounds like one of Dimps's worst work yet

As someone who played both, the 3DS version is the better game. A significantly better game. Better physics, better levels, online racing, etc. Even the advertised gameplay elements like being able to run on walls and perform acrobatics works a heck of a lot better on the 3DS than the sloppy Wii U version.

That said, they should never have made those motion control levels and special stages; they are essentially unplayable unless you can stand up and look around the room with your 3DS. And of course, full 60 fps on Wii U is really nice to watch; but it doesn't mean much when the gameplay is so bad.

qq more

As someone who played both, the 3DS version is the better game. A significantly better game. Better physics, better levels, online racing, etc. Even the advertised gameplay elements like being able to run on walls and perform acrobatics works a heck of a lot better on the 3DS than the sloppy Wii U version.

That said, they should never have made those motion control levels and special stages; they are essentially unplayable unless you can stand up and look around the room with your 3DS. And of course, full 60 fps on Wii U is really nice to watch; but it doesn't mean much when the gameplay is so bad.

I might skip the 3DS version, IDK, the levels looks like everything I don't want in a Sonic game. Forced puzzles does not mesh very well, especially when it takes more than 10 seconds which breaks the flow very badly. And some of the puzzles looks outright tedious... I don't trust Dimps lol

Razzer

So I'm almost 15 mins into that movie. Does it stop being... awful? Kinda not wanting to continue here, dunno if this will be worth it.

Edit: Ok I'm stopping 38 mins in I can't take the assault on my ears anymore.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I played both the 3DS version and the Wii U version, and I can say that the Wii U version is miles better than the 3DS version. And there are three other people in this thread who think so as well.

The 3DS version is an inelegant complete mess of control design and level design, with faster controls that do not serve well for the game's level design and level purpose at all. Absolutely abhorrent and I feel like they had no idea what they were doing towards the latter half of the game.

No, thank you. What Guess Who said in his 3DS version review is right. What Sega1991 said in his 3DS version review is right. I would've written impressions of the 3DS version but I'm so sick and tired of writing impressions for games I dislike, but I certainly can if pressed since it's much easier to point out many of the flaws exhibited in that version of the game.

Both versions of the game are flawed because many aspects of the title's level design and overall premise that the games put forth are utterly flawed, especially in execution. Those concepts were wonky for a Sonic game to begin with, so it's unsurprising that Lost World overall inspires division across the fanbase.

WillyFive

I might skip the 3DS version, IDK, the levels looks like everything I don't want in a Sonic game. Forced puzzles does not mesh very well, especially when it takes more than 10 seconds which breaks the flow very badly. And some of the puzzles looks outright tedious... I don't trust Dimps lol

The puzzle levels are a lot like playing Mario 64. If it weren't for the annoying enemies, they would have been kinda fun.

But the worst part about both games is how it can't stay with one gameplay style for the whole game. The Wii U version is the worst offender because the actual gameplay physics and engine changes with those levels, and each one is slower, wonkier, and sloppier than the previous one. It's as un-fun a game you can play.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Even though I don't particularly like how slow Sonic can be in the Wii U version, the slower speed is the direct result of the level design, though. The level design and how everything is shaped ultimately determines how fast Sonic can go, and most of the time, it isn't very fast. Of course the blocky level design with more walls is going to make players move slower and take their time. It's been that way since Marble Zone in the very first game. Of course that's why Sonic has tiered speed and why he moves so slowly on default. The game's level design and level pacing completely supports that.

Sometimes the 3DS version takes that same Wii U level design but with the faster movement, it's nauseating and feels even more claustrophobic. Once you leave Windy Hill, the open spaces become less prevalent, and you're stuck in confined areas with mechanics that, when combined with the crazy momentum you have, just don't work. Push balls around to raise the water in Tropical Coast! Guide snowballs around in Frozen Factory for 20 minutes. With the speed/momentum Sonic has. In closed areas. Doing something that should be slowly paced. Why are these 3DS levels long, anyway? Sonic levels shouldn't be that long. They overstay their welcome if they're about 13 minutes long, and that's exactly the problem that Sonic 06 had, and the problem people had with the Werehog stages.

What in the world were they thinking? That momentum and that level design just doesn't jive together at all. It becomes a complete mess of level execution and leaves me to wonder if anyone at all went back and playtested it to say, "hey, maybe this doesn't work well because it just doesn't flow that well." But no, it's good. Ship it as-is because that's what people want and people buy our products anyway and don't particularly think that much about how a video game works or its design or anything. That would be thinking way too much about a video game instead of just having fun with what is given to you, right? Dimps had a lot of ideas that they forced into stages, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a lot of their ideas were good in execution.

Sonic games just aren't Mario games. And I guess that's why I just don't care for Lost World much. It felt like a mishmash of many different concepts from other platformers like Donkey Kong and Mario, but that just isn't what I come to Sonic for. That was never what I came to Sonic for.

So, no. I just can't agree with the notion that the 3DS version was the better product. I know it's been well-justified that I don't like Lost World very much, but the Wii U version, at the very least, felt more consistent than the 3DS version by a long mile.

qq more

The puzzle levels are a lot like playing Mario 64. If it weren't for the annoying enemies, they would have been kinda fun.

I don't think it fits in a Sonic game though, especially one that isn't exactly designed for puzzles. It works with Mario 64 due to the more platformy nature of the game, but not Sonic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
why is there a help bar

who put that there

why. the last thing they tell you in the previous town is "we're going south"

0uKlw4q.png

and the only thing there is the cave and the castle. the cave isn't even accessible and the guard implies to go to the castle so you go to the BIG HONKING DESERT THAT'S UNAVOIDABLE to the left

game design

Good thing I played the SNES version in 2012, this way I don't take as many daggers to the heart of nostalgia but can still appreciate just how bad it looks by comparison.

So I found myself in the realm of 3DS demos after a certain group of posts in a recent thread piqued my interest on Bravely Default through its music alone, then on my way to said demo I saw the Sonic Lost World 3DS demo and with the recent conversation in here I had to try it.

Amazingly you go from the Wii U version feeling a tad stiff with movement and having a homing attack lock on that can be a bit fiddly about actually locking on to the 3DS version working as a polar opposite. Erratic sketchy movement with no sense of weight and the homing attack just goes off chaining whatever the hell it feels like, they take two different directions arriving at the same destination of wrong which I find kind of amusing. So I'm going to guess I already played the best stage with the opener, money saved!

qq more

I never played FF6 nor have any attachment to the FF series at all and yet those snapshots pisses me off. It is inconsistent and very amateurish and yet this is somehow acceptable enough to become a thing.

Terrible. TERRIBLE

Sciz

Sciz is dying inside.

Is... is that a tiny little 3D model of Figaro? I mean, Schlocke there still looks terrible, but I'm downright perplexed that they didn't do a straight tile replacement for the castle's map tiles. And instead built a 3D render. Of the actual level layout.

What?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is... is that a tiny little 3D model of Figaro? I mean, Schlocke there still looks terrible, but I'm downright perplexed that they didn't do a straight tile replacement for the castle's map tiles. And instead built a 3D render. Of the actual level layout.

What?
I thought this was a shop at first but no, it's not.

I wonder what they'll do to Doma when they get there, since that... what do the towns on the world map look like? :/

More at the link anyway

fuck even my old sonic fangame i made when i was fourteen looked more attractive than that

fangame%20oh%20god.png
Yeah, it actually looks more consistent than that.

Even if it has an oxygen bar.

FSLink

Banned
why is there a help bar

who put that there

why. the last thing they tell you in the previous town is "we're going south"

0uKlw4q.png

and the only thing there is the cave and the castle. the cave isn't even accessible and the guard implies to go to the castle so you go to the BIG HONKING DESERT THAT'S UNAVOIDABLE to the left

game design

Only way it can be worse is if it's voiced.

"GO SOUTH! KUPO! ^___^"

oh they have tips in case you can't figure out where to go, that was always a huge problem in ff6

hope FFX has a similar refinement to help navigate its many paths

OMG Aero

Schala forgive me please.
Jz58OtZ.jpg

It was under £6 if I didn't buy it it's like I'm losing money.

If it's any consolation there is approximately 0.0005% chance of me ever getting around and playing it.

Top Bottom