• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Hello all again! Dare I say... Long Time No See?

Well fuck, just found Neiteio's thread on DK soundtrack...

I stumbled across the thread a few days ago...

Based Fucking David Wise. Oh my God that soundtrack. It has quirky pieces, epic pieces, melancholic (dat guitar....dat flute... DAT EVERYTHING!)... Oh... Oh... So good...

qq more

shadow the hedgehog made me angry

but secret rings also made me angry

but at least shadow was... more playable and i was able to beat it

TheOGB

Banned
Only do 2 or 3 levels of Shadow at a time

Enjoy the terrible low-budget action movie plot

Find that DAMN 4th Chaos Emerald. And the computer room, while you're at it.

Only do 2 or 3 levels of Shadow at a time

Enjoy the terrible low-budget action movie plot

Find that DAMN 4th Chaos Emerald. And the computer room, while you're at it.

I think even that is giving the plot of Shadow too much credit. Due to the slip shot editing of the branching story lines, some scenes make zero sense in the context of the choices you made up to that point, drop plot lines left and right, and lead to just plain dumb conclusions. Beyond that, the dialogue is terrible with some of the dialogue being non-sequiters, the character models are so horrible and animate so terribly in cutscenes I have to wonder how this got Okay'd to be released beyond "They were too cheap to put any more effort into it", the voice acting is subpar, and ultimately all of your choices are meaningless as there is a "Last Story" segment which, due to its set up, makes most of the endings straight up impossible to have actually happened.

Seriously, Shadow the Hedgehog just sucks.

TheOGB

Banned
I think even that is giving the plot of Shadow too much credit. Due to the slip shot editing of the branching story lines, some scenes make zero sense in the context of the choices you made up to that point, drop plot lines left and right, and lead to just plain dumb conclusions. Beyond that, the dialogue is terrible with some of the dialogue being non-sequiters, the character models are so horrible and animate so terribly in cutscenes I have to wonder how this got Okay'd to be released beyond "They were too cheap to put any more effort into it", the voice acting is subpar, and ultimately all of your choices are meaningless as there is a "Last Story" segment which, due to its set up, makes most of the endings straight up impossible to have actually happened.

That's the best part
barf
, you get to make your own terrible low-budget action movie plot

But no, just do one of the paths that lead to
Shadow karate chopping the fuck out of Eggman
and be done with it.

That's the best part
barf
, you get to make your own terrible low-budget action movie plot

But no, just do one of the paths that lead to
Shadow karate chopping the fuck out of Eggman
and be done with it.

Shadow just straight up kills Eggman THREE TIMES. SO EDGY!

TrueBlue

"Despite having little to no interaction with him that leads to this conclusion, it's obvious that I was an android that Eggman created!"

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I hate to say that you guys told me so with respect to Lightning Returns, but you told me so with respect to Lightning Returns. I didn't beat the JP version, and now I'm on the road to beating the English version and all I can do is get frustrated with how stupidly designed the game is.

And Shadow the Hedgehog's plot is dumb. Shadow's popular with the kids, and the last few games have been story-oriented, so throw Shadow in a D-grade action movie with silly gameplay. They'll buy it. They always do.

Edit: That Sonic Boom "footage" reminds me so much of Sonic Heroes that I dunno, man. I hope there are piano diddlies playing as Sonic and friends prepare to break Eggman's thumbs and legs to cover a debt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNLr3fNBD88

The more I think about it, the more I really like Havok Harbor from SAGE because it's a good example that your Sonic game can still be FAST without:

1. Being "Sonic Unleashed" fast
  2. Being 50%+ scripting
Wow, that's a pretty good start. Wonder how it's going to look in the next release because it looks kinda decent already. iirc, you said it handles kinda weird in some spots, so I hope that gets fixed.

No more Kate Higgins as Tails. Proof positive that the universe loves to shit on Sakura.

After watching that video, I'm much more interested in the show than I am the videogame.

Edit: That Sonic Boom "footage" reminds me so much of Sonic Heroes that I dunno, man. I hope there are piano diddlies playing as Sonic and friends prepare to break Eggman's thumbs and legs to cover a debt.

Hee Hee, now with longer legs to shatter and an infinitely more bone crunching Knuckles.

TheOGB

Banned
I really hope the show does well, because every preview of lines/footage I've heard/seen has given me a good chuckle at the least.

I've asked this before: are the Colours writers doing anything for the Boom game or show, because everything I've heard is miles better than what they've done for the series thus far.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I'm honestly somewhat excited for the show now. I think it'll be a decent thing if the scripts are strong and the animation gets a little stronger. I think they're still in "pilot" territory where not everything's going to be incredibly refined right away (ie: the animation/models).

So who knows? Might be a success, might not.

That looked pretty much the same though.

I suppose it depends on how you define "scripting". Are boost pads scripting? They aren't necessarily to me, though it depends on how they're used.

In most modern Sonic games, booster pads or not, there are a lot of sections where Sonic's speed and direction is forced to be a certain value and player input is frequently taken away (or seriously impaired).

That's not the case in that Havok Harbor level at all. Yes, there are boosters and launchers, but there's not usually anything forcing you to use them. They are often positioned in such a way that if you want, you can bypass them entirely. There's a grand total of one section where you are locked down in to a scripted path, and it's that big yellow "road" leading up to the 2D section (not the quickstep section, after that).

Sciz

Sciz you lazy bum what happened to SOTD?
/s

Lots of real life stuff happened all at once, and by the time that settled I realized I was pretty burned out on the idea after going for four months straight. Turns out even I can only listen to so much of this stuff before needing to leave it alone for a while.

If someone else wants to take a shot at it on a regular basis, go for it.

TrueBlue

yaaaaaaaay

On the other hand Amy's voice actress hasn't changed, so cross your fingers and pray for a vastly different direction there.

It might be just me but she sounds less like Minnie Mouse than before. All Cindy Robinson needs is a tweak in the direction, she has the skill.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haha, I know someone who's pretty good with voices and seeing him actually do it is really interesting!

I actually like watching people do voices because I guess it's my linguistics background and I was in drama for so long, but it's so cool. Stuff you normally wouldn't expect.

Lots of real life stuff happened all at once, and by the time that settled I realized I was pretty burned out on the idea after going for four months straight. Turns out even I can only listen to so much of this stuff before needing to leave it alone for a while.

If someone else wants to take a shot at it on a regular basis, go for it.
Aha, that's why I space out my soundtrack listening too. Usually after SotY, I get a little burned out and need to give myself a break, for example, since I have to listen to almost every single album released in the year over the span of 3-4 months. It's tiring!

I think you did a good job with it. Introduced some fun stuff to me, even.

Top Bottom