• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

TheOGB

Banned
I hope Amy's "Minnie Mouse" is toned down for more than that one line they showed. But yeah, seeing that kind of stuff is great. Travis Willingham making those faces while Eggman was talking was funny. Colleen Villard doing Tails' voice was the only one that tripped me up, visually.
Also funny that they dropped Sakura for Ino

Tara Strong also does a lot of this silly stuff on her Twitter.

Edit: Addendum in appreciation of Sciz for bringing us the sweet tunes and some interesting insights.

I was kinda hoping you'd get to Sonic Core. Guy who made it actually was on the SRB2 forums for a bit, but managed to get himself a year-long ban - I figure it'd be uncouth of me to go into why behind his back, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Lightning Returns keeps extending itself and I don't want to play it anymore. I dumped 40 hours into the English version. That's enough, right? But on the other hand, I'll feel like I haven't closed off the series properly by not completely finishing it. :/

Oh yeah, I bought Cranky Kong's Scrooge McDuck Simulator. SonicGAF, you'd better be right about that game. I can't play it until Sunday, though.

BHZ Mayor

Lightning Returns keeps extending itself and I don't want to play it anymore.
So don't.

I dumped 40 hours into the English version. That's enough, right?
Yes, that's more than enough.

But on the other hand, I'll feel like I haven't closed off the series properly by not completely finishing it. :/
Fuck that.

Oh yeah, I bought Cranky Kong's Scrooge McDuck Simulator. SonicGAF, you'd better be right about that game. I can't play it until Sunday, though.
Waiting for impressions for this.

TheOGB

Banned
Edit: Sonic Jump is free on Amazon today (for Android)

tumblr_n1ov2fdD5O1rl7yc8o2_1280.gif

Which way is the board spinning

Tizoc

Lightning Returns keeps extending itself and I don't want to play it anymore. I dumped 40 hours into the English version. That's enough, right? But on the other hand, I'll feel like I haven't closed off the series properly by not completely finishing it. :/

You gotta see LR to the end Schalla, FINISH (or Platinum if you're into that) WHAT YOU START!
Ditch the game and go play a Ys game you like

Schala pls

you are killing me

It sucks that Sega must've gotten locked into some ridiculously tight contracts when it came to Generations. I keep thinking about how much of a missed opportunity it is to not do an up-rezzed port to PS4 and Xbox One.
  • Get HexaDrive or someone decent to port it over from the PC base. 1080p, unflinching 60 FPS, that's already going to blow some minds.
  • Tweak the little bugs, and the missing features. Why can't you change the stage music in Time Trial Mode where you'd need that feature most?
  • Create skin swaps (all play as "Goes Fast" Sonic, with necessary animation tweaks and a few voice samples, cutscenes disabled) and music packs to sell as easy DLC.
  • And if they get really energetic, port over the Unleashed Daytime stages and DLC (fans already managed a huge chunk of it without direct access to the executable code or original source files), maybe even make a new zone or two if it's viable (Icecap).
  • $10 Digital Upgrade fee for prior owners, doesn't include new DLC.
  • Update PC version to allow for selling of same DLC there as well.
tumblr_ljrufvFdOj1qc63sno1_400.gif

But I'm sure they specifically wrote "Xbox 360, PS3, and PC released in this specific period" into the contracts, and Dreams Come True still has them over their knee for the Sonic 1 and 2 music, not to mention the Sonic CD music licensing, the potential issues with Sonic 3's music now that some facts have been broadcast a little too loudly, etc.

Generations is just really good and I want more of it.

Darn it, murdered the thread.

On a side note, it's pretty impressive going through the SAGE titles available this year. Outside of two or three, even the "not as great" ones are still fantastic, way above what it used to be. I know it's partially because they're crutching on public engines, but it's not just that. Strangely, very few people seem to be using MMF at the moment. Which also meant most of the demos lacked joypad support, bleh. Not all of the Game Maker ones did, but most of them did.

Probably one of the ones I enjoyed the most is Legends. It's not the most technically proficient of the lot (even then, there's still a lot there), but the level design is friendly and fast, with plenty of recovery options if I do plow into something. It's a little more "shut off your brain and just go with the flow," but in a good way.

Sciz

But I'm sure they specifically wrote "Xbox 360, PS3, and PC released in this specific period" into the contracts, and Dreams Come True still has them over their knee for the Sonic 1 and 2 music, not to mention the Sonic CD music licensing, the potential issues with Sonic 3's music now that some facts have been broadcast a little too loudly, etc.

The 3 and CD music in the game ought to be in the clear, at least. There's a very specific selection of Sonic 3 music that they won't touch with a ten foot pole, but the rest is the work of Sega staff. CD just has issues with the vocal performances, to my knowledge.

BlackJace

March, AKA BestMonth, has begun. It just so happens that a lot of my gaming budget is getting swallowed up by all of these releases this month too :/

The timing for the higher bounce is soooo much more forgiving than in Returns.

Dat World 2-K tho.

I just beat that stage today... took me so many tries, until I realized I could hold A while descending to bounce higher. Before that I thought I had to hit A the moment I landed on an enemy, which I'm pretty sure was the case in the SNES games. I don't recall if it was like that in Returns, though.

March, AKA BestMonth, has begun. It just so happens that a lot of my gaming budget is getting swallowed up by all of these releases this month too :/

Pretty sure FFX/X-2HD and Layton vs Wright are all I want this month, and FFX/X-2 will probably wait given the backup of RPGs I've got going as it is.

Will probably pick up Ninja Gaiden Z at some point too but it's not an immediate must-have.

Hey man, Yaiba has like Grant Kirkhope and....stuff, real question is can it surpass the mighty Razor's Edge? now there's some lofty expectations.
If the final boss battle doesn't involve you immediately jobbing to a flying swallow courtesy of Ryu then i'll be immensely disappointed.

March seems pretty okay to me, make it like Dark Souls 2, Wright and Layton starring in the cross over that arrived too damn late and possibly Shovel Knight: It's burying time *HHH grin.gif*

Oh yeah, just remembered that Project Diva F 2nd drops at the end of the month. Will probably import that at some point.

you don't have to do this /drake

Obviously not anywhere near a day one thing, but once it hits like $20-$30 I'll give if a look. I'm pretty casual as far as action games go so as long as it's not a complete disaster I'll probably get some fun from it.

I know it's not coming from pedigree, but I really like the idea of playing a grunt who comes back for revenge against the main character.

If the final boss battle doesn't involve you immediately jobbing to a flying swallow courtesy of Ryu then i'll be immensely disappointed.

If not this, a regular boss battle against him which, after you win, Ryu reveals he was just fucking around and Inazuma Drops you to the core of the planet.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fuck that.
Yeah, fuck Lightning Returns for now. That game got me kinda steamed on Friday.

THIS IS A WAY BETTER GAME.

PuyoPuyoTetris is soooo fun so far. The music's great. The game is so fun. I forgot that I'm better at Puyo Puyo than I am at Tetris for some really weird reason (and I play Tetris Battle Gaiden a lot). I wish Sega would localize this game, but it has a few hurdles for that. It's so colourful.

There's a hybrid tetris/puyopuyo mode, a puyopuyo mode, a tetris mode, and the story/main game. Like, the game is so crazy because you don't think the two styles of gameplay would work, but they actually do. And it's so flexible. If you want to just play PuyoPuyo, go ahead. If you just want to play Tetris, go ahead. If you want to combine the two to make something cool, you can do that.

PuyoTeto Mix is the most interesting of the modes because you have to keep thinking in advance before you play your blocks or your puyos. You get both puyos and tetris blocks in the same mode so you have to think of either aligning the blocks to make a line, or making puyos match up in groups.

Swap mode is basically you playing one game (either puyopuyo or tetris) while a timer counts down. When the timer runs out, the game swaps to the other game (so if you were playing puyopuyo, you'd swap to tetris blocks and try to keep ahead of your opponent). Party mode is where you pick whatever game you'd like to play. Big Bang mode is entirely in fever mode so the game is faster and more frantic and you need to do damage to your opponents health.

Story mode seems decent so far. Haven't hacked away at it as indepth yet.

Shit, I don't know what a Parfect Clear is but I want it.

(Sega, pls)

Waiting for impressions for this.
Def. not in the right mindset to start it right now. Sleepy and Gamepad needs to charge. Was away all weekend and didn't anticipate coming home tired. . -_-

It sucks that Sega must've gotten locked into some ridiculously tight contracts when it came to Generations. I keep thinking about how much of a missed opportunity it is to not do an up-rezzed port to PS4 and Xbox One.
  • Create skin swaps (all play as "Goes Fast" Sonic, with necessary animation tweaks and a few voice samples, cutscenes disabled) and music packs to sell as easy DLC.
  • And if they get really energetic, port over the Unleashed Daytime stages and DLC (fans already managed a huge chunk of it without direct access to the executable code or original source files), maybe even make a new zone or two if it's viable (Icecap).
  • $10 Digital Upgrade fee for prior owners, doesn't include new DLC.
  • Update PC version to allow for selling of same DLC there as well.

Generations is just really good and I want more of it.
Same. I feel like so many opportunities for that game were just completely squandered. The game was ripe for DLC and fans ended up doing it themselves (which I think is a blessing in disguise. At the same time, I'd like to get something on a console, too). I think these are really good ideas, and it would keep the life of the game going (even if it still kind of is on PC).

I can't remember what comes out in March...

I'm getting the South Park game because I'm curious about it. Same for Yoshi 3DS. Shovel Knight's out this month, too. Pier Solar HD, Witch and Hundred Knight, FFX-2, and Atelier game with dude. I can't remember what else.

----------

I kinda get the feeling that people are going to get killed in March bc of releases, but I was thinking of getting that Sonic speedrun thing started this week. I think Sonic Generations would be a good game to ease everyone into it since it's easier than the other two (ie: more forgiving wrt score). I know some people were looking forward to this for months and prodded me about it periodically.

Or... do you guys want to wait until March release month is over/we're all finished Donkey Kong?

Noi

I'm gonna be too busy with Dark Souls2/Infamous/FFXIV 2.2 to really contribute if you do it in march. Moving it back sounds like a good idea, yeah.

Sciz

Last week I would've said that March is all about Donkey Kong and Dark Souls 2, but then Blizzard had to go and finally make Diablo 3 fun just in time for its expansion.

Tizoc

I mostly skimmed through the latest Sonic Universe issue, but made sure to read all of Omega's lines, which were the best part of this issue. This arc is OK overall IMO but what's the next arc gonna be?

I mostly skimmed through the latest Sonic Universe issue, but made sure to read all of Omega's lines, which were the best part of this issue. This arc is OK overall IMO but what's the next arc gonna be?

Knuckles and the Chaotix are hired be Sally to help the Freedom Fighters find the Chaos Emeralds.

I tried to re-install and I found out I was banned somehow

The man always keeping a brotha down, fam

Wondering whether I can hold out for PC version of Dark Souls 2 or just redbox it the PS3 version and go all out for Spring Break

FSLink

Banned
PuyoPuyoTetris is soooo fun so far. The music's great. The game is so fun. I forgot that I'm better at Puyo Puyo than I am at Tetris for some really weird reason (and I play Tetris Battle Gaiden a lot). I wish Sega would localize this game, but it has a few hurdles for that. It's so colourful.
I got it for both PS3 (so I can bring it to fighting game gatherings) and Vita. Game seems a bit unbalanced in Tetris vs Puyo mode... Tetris players seem to have an easier time winning. Swap and the crazy combine modes seem to be where it's at.
Overall it's tons of fun and it keeps reminding me that I'm terrible at Puyo Pop whenever it makes me play it in story mode. It's also been pulling me away from finishing my national dex in Pokemon, haha.

I actually have a backlog now. I've never had one of these before.

Am...am I going to die?
Not until you get on my level. 700+ unfinished games whee. I blame Steam.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What does Professor Beef think of this gif (courtesy of Heropon)

1SFLXOP.gif

I got it for both PS3 (so I can bring it to fighting game gatherings) and Vita. Game seems a bit unbalanced in Tetris vs Puyo mode... Tetris players seem to have an easier time winning. Swap and the crazy combine modes seem to be where it's at.
Overall it's tons of fun and it keeps reminding me that I'm terrible at Puyo Pop whenever it makes me play it in story mode. It's also been pulling me away from finishing my national dex in Pokemon, haha.
Yeah, the Tetris vs Puyo mode is weird. It depends on which one you're better at, though. Tetris is a faster game to me. Puyo's more "matchy", I guess. But the combine modes are super-fun. Really neat to have both games together like that.

I always wanted a columns/tetris hybrid, haha.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah on Puyo vs Tetris it seems the Tetris players go on the offense better with faster line combos or T-Spins combos than Puyo players can with chains. :/ Oh well, at least they added plenty of game options. We should play some online vs sometime Schala.

... And now I want Nintendo to make a Dr. Mario/Luigi X Panel de Pon game. I love Tetris Attack.

Top Bottom