• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Falk

that puzzling face
(even if it still kind of is on PC).

Debatable, really. As expected, a year later and most of the people who had ~big dreams~ about custom levels seem to have fallen off the map. Generations is a victim of itself in this sense in that the base game set the bar so freakishly high in terms of aesthetic that a lot of the time hobbyists just give up. GIA is a much harder beast to wrestle with compared to, say, making a level in CryEngine or UDK.

There's still one or two really good levels (mostly ports of existing geometry) coming out from time to time and, of course, the idiots who willingly churn out half-baked shit that gets gobbled up by the shitty portion of the fanbase so they don't really count.

celsowmbr

Banned
Sonic wins This Year’s Carnival In Rio:

140403tijucadesfileafp14.jpg

http://www.madeinbrazilblog.com/blog/samba-school-unidos-da-tijuca-wins-this-years-carnival-in-rio/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That Penders stuff had me dying of laughter this afternoon. I couldn't believe that was a thing. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

Item #1: That Azure Striker Gunvolt is so Mega Man Zero that I need it in my life and I am willing to get the Japanese version of it too. The soundtrack should be really good.

Item #2: South Park is pretty legit. Noi made the joke that for once this year I paid $60 for a game that I actually enjoy. Too bad I put it down again, but I'm kinda busy atm. I do enjoy, while it's really easy, that there is some thought in combat with respect to stances, enemy takeout order, etc. Lots of South Park callbacks to every episode in the series, so that's a huge treat for fans, too. If I didn't watch the show at some point, I wouldn't get a lot out of it, but since I have, I'm enjoying it a lot.

Debatable, really. As expected, a year later and most of the people who had ~big dreams~ about custom levels seem to have fallen off the map. Generations is a victim of itself in this sense in that the base game set the bar so freakishly high in terms of aesthetic that a lot of the time hobbyists just give up. GIA is a much harder beast to wrestle with compared to, say, making a level in CryEngine or UDK.

There's still one or two really good levels (mostly ports of existing geometry) coming out from time to time and, of course, the idiots who willingly churn out half-baked shit that gets gobbled up by the shitty portion of the fanbase so they don't really count.
Ah, I see. That's disappointing, but since it seems like a huge timesink, I guess some people didn't think that it'd be worthwhile to invest a lot into it. Shame. I thought that the potential for a lot of stuff with respect to Generations PC would've been realized. Then again, it's been three years. There are other things to move on to.

Yeah on Puyo vs Tetris it seems the Tetris players go on the offense better with faster line combos or T-Spins combos than Puyo players can with chains. :/ Oh well, at least they added plenty of game options. We should play some online vs sometime Schala.
Yeah, it would be really cool if we got some time to do that! I'll take Puyo if it ever came to that, haha.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mother of God.
You should see the rest of it.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/441644051532484609

Penders' Brain said:
Echyd'nya (pronounced eh-kid-Nyah) with real emphasis on the last syllable as if a Klingon were speaking. (Just trying to keep it simple.)

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/441660193831534592

Ken "OriginalCharacterDoNotSteal" Penders said:
The idea of using Echyd'nya instead of Echidna is yet another point that the story is very much a sci-fi adventure set in its own universe.

Go through a legal mess and fuck up a long-running comic book just to gain access to characters that he's now distancing from their source material anyway

Great job, Penders.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Go through a legal mess and fuck up a long-running comic book just to gain access to characters that he's now distancing from their source material anyway

Great job, Penders.
Hey, he's just trying to keep it simple.

I can't say that with a straight face.

I am now more concerned about the mans mental health.
Somehow I get the feeling that he knows what he's doing.

A little bit.

Maybe.

Village

Dude is nutso, to point where its sad.

What is he even going to do with those characters.

I just... I just can't.

There are some sonic related things that are just nuts, he is differently in the top 2.

Sciz

Great job, Penders.

Well, this particular case probably has more to do with keeping Sega from breathing down his neck in the long term. I'm sure he's delighting in the chance for the total creative freedom to chase ideas down the twisty rabbit holes of his mind, though.

So how is the actual Sonic comic proceeding with all of those characters gone?

It seems like it's all headed in the right direction, if still a bit early to get a good grip on it. They spent more time getting the band back together than they should have and it's delayed the introduction of a real plot until the last couple issues. Most of the lost characters were completely irrelevant, and most of the ones that weren't were only still important because of a plotline that was unceremoniously axed. There's one major villain who does appear to have been caught in the crossfire, but I think his character arc had largely run its course anyway.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You would quote that, wouldn't you?

Well, it kinda helps that the mine cart levels aren't poop at the moment. Scrooge McDuck Cranky Kong is neat.

Komo

Banned
First time playing SA, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the Master Emerald side-story. I think it's pretty neat.

Sorta wish Tikal was in more games, though.

BHZ Mayor

8JbIl.gif

APES AND HEDGEHOGS LIVING TOGETHER! MASS HYSTERIA!

A little too good (poor Diddy feels damn near obsolete) but indeed where it's at.

Yeah he does. It's at the point where I'm only using him because he's the only barrel in the level, or because I notice I haven't used him in a while.

Tizoc

Don't really see what the issue is with the word 'Echyd'nya' long as it is used within a fictional setting, though in that case it would depend on how it's used.

Sometimes it feels like all the work that has been done on GAF to clear Sonic's good name just falls apart at the drop of a hat.
Cleaning up the mean streets of GAF is a full time job and an endless cycle.

You don't remember all that shock, horror, and disgust Nocturnowl and I felt when that revelation came out? It was the darkest moment of SonicGAF history.
It cast a shadow across this land of platforming discussion, I never truly recovered.

PKrockin

You don't remember all that shock, horror, and disgust Nocturnowl and I felt when that revelation came out? It was the darkest moment of SonicGAF history.
Well I've never been a huge fan of DKC either. The collision detection was way off because of all the pre-rendered graphics, and the rolling off ledges and jumping mechanic always just felt dumb and nonsensical. DKC2 is in my top 3 soundtracks though if not #1.

FSLink

Banned
I've yet to play either Returns. Tropical Freeze is one of the first things I'll get once I get a Wii U though.

Same. I've got the first one already set up with homebrew + Classic Controller adapter with a Super Famicom controller, but I haven't had time to actually go play it. So needless to say I haven't even picked up Tropical Freeze yet.

I actually need to go back and finish DKC2 and DKC3 too.

BHZ Mayor

On the subject of Tropical Freeze, I'd like to personally apologize to NeoGAF Member Nocturnowl. I've been calling the owl enemies in the game "Nocturnowls," and I'm sure you can imagine the types of things said toward your name.

I not afraid to admit to shouting "SCREW NOCTURNOWL" every single time I died on Bopopolis and its many feathered fiends. An enjoyably frustrating experience, I assure you.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It is done.

Fuck video games.

Now I can play something actually good. Like South Park.

I'd like to thank
BHZ Mayor for saying "You don't have to do this" multiple times.
Beef for messaging me on PSN telling me to stop playing Frightening Returns.
Coldman (RIP) for messaging me and telling me to please stop.
Noi for being an enabler.
Bean for putting up with my garbage for three weeks.

AND YOU reading this right now!

Dixie is where it's at
Yeah, after a bit longer with her, I realized that she's really good. Bean and I were talking about it, and I'd agree with him in saying that she's like the Peach of the game.

Poor Diddy. Feels like an afterthought.

And for the record, I've been calling the owls "Nocturnowl" too. Haha. That Windmill area is really nice. Definitely my favourite bit so far. And the tutorial level, albeit a little long, had some really neat stuff.

Don't really see what the issue is with the word 'Echyd'nya' long as it is used within a fictional setting, though in that case it would depend on how it's used.
Because it's really silly and is a blatant attempt to slightly changing something up so he doesn't get his ass sued and it screams "original character do not steal". It's basically "Echidna" but with a different pronunciation in a fanfiction manner which essentially makes it sound incredibly serious, yet Penders can't come up with his own material.

Well I've never been a huge fan of DKC either. The collision detection was way off because of all the pre-rendered graphics, and the rolling off ledges and jumping mechanic always just felt dumb and nonsensical.
Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about DKC and DKCR. I don't like any of it. Still need to spend more time with DKCR2 to see what it's like, though.

Noi

I'm an enabler after spending a ton of time telling you to play something else/not get it in the first place. I see.
emot-colbert75btr.gif

Top Bottom