• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

BHZ Mayor

Cross posting from the OT:

I think the worst thing I can say about this game, aside from the Stickerbrush Symphony troll move (which was made up for in spades with that second credits music, so good), is that I think the split between puzzle pieces that you find, compared to ones that you earn for collecting all the bananas and/or coins in a given area, is a little too even. I think it should've been mostly in favor of finding them.

Maybe it was and I'm just clouded by all the times I purposely killed myself to try to get a group of bananas only for it to reward me with a coin or a banana bunch.

Also, I kinda think roll and ground pound should be two different buttons. I killed myself a few times trying to ground pound but accidentally rolling because I was moving slightly.

On the subject of Tropical Freeze, I'd like to personally apologize to NeoGAF Member Nocturnowl. I've been calling the owl enemies in the game "Nocturnowls," and I'm sure you can imagine the types of things said toward your name.

I not afraid to admit to shouting "SCREW NOCTURNOWL" every single time I died on Bopopolis and its many feathered fiends. An enjoyably frustrating experience, I assure you.

And for the record, I've been calling the owls "Nocturnowl" too. Haha. That Windmill area is really nice. Definitely my favourite bit so far. And the tutorial level, albeit a little long, had some really neat stuff.
image.php

You should thank me for allowing you passage over otherwise impassible pits.

I've been a huge fan of Nakamura's Sonic soundtracks forever, but just discovered the Sonic 2 demos linked through the OT. I'm pretty much floored right now.

Seriously though, those owl enemies, especially the flaming ones which caught most of my rage, look almost exactly like your normal avatar.
An excuse for me to revisit the model viewer, I can't say I noticed since they all look terminally ticked off, my main avatar is a right jolly fellow.

Going back to your previous point the one gripe I have with puzzle pieces is simply that the bonus rooms are still lame so any pieces gained through them I'd rather just get from the location of the bonus room, I shouldn't want to actively avoid something considered a bonus. Puzzle placement on the whole is a touch better than in Returns with the banana/coin collecting ones coming across more clearly and no excessive use of the still bewildering blowing mechanic, still feel that some stages housing 9 is a bit excessive but it's not like they're mandatory.
The credits Stickerbrush remix is actually more troll worthy for fading out partway through, at least you can still hear the Twilight Terror mix in its entirety.

Honestly, I just never gave a damn about the puzzle pieces, which one of the things holding it back from me loving it as much as DKC2. I wanted those bonus coins because they unlocked more levels and I wanted that DK Coin because it was the big shiny collectible hidden in clever places and fuck you Cranky I'm finding all of them. And the bonus rooms were actually quite varied and level depended.

In the Retro games, I don't even know what the puzzle pieces do, why they are only 4-5 bonus room variants, or why I should care about lookin for them. I get the KONG letters, and I consider the mission accomplished.

I think KONG letters trump bonus coins in the "content-unlocking collectible" category because the level flow doesn't have to be broken to obtain them. Interrupting Hot Head Bop or Forest Interlude to get a bonus coin in DKC2 sucks. The fact that all playable content in DKCR/TF can be unlocked without ever entering a bonus room is pretty neat, I think.

I suppose I find it difficult to complain about Retro's lack of diversity in bonus rooms when they're so meaningless to the game. They aren't Murfy, that's for damn sure.

BHZ Mayor

Playing 3D World now, and the fact that I can yell out "FUUUUUCK!" to make those fan platforms move is so satisfying to the immature 12 year-old in me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So, uh...

That Yoshi's New Island footage. The level design looks better than YIDS? I guess?

Playing 3D World now, and the fact that I can yell out "FUUUUUCK!" to make those fan platforms move is so satisfying to the immature 12 year-old in me.
lol

Super Mario 3D World was what I wanted out of a Mario game for a while, to be honest. It ain't perfect, but it's alright.

Game be damned, I'm kind of disappointed that the green 3DS XL I had been waiting for finally comes out after I'd given up and sprung for the golden ALBW XL.

Sciz

I've been a huge fan of Nakamura's Sonic soundtracks forever, but just discovered the Sonic 2 demos linked through the OT. I'm pretty much floored right now.

Oh wow, someone actually went through all that. :eek:

I don't think the 1 & 2 demo tapes were what anyone was expecting, but they're super cool all the same. Wish we could get the Sonic 3 equivalent but hahahahahaha

BlackJace

It's kind of weird, I have more time to discuss video games with people on a message board than I do actually getting to play them.

Hearing all of these DKTF, SM3DW and other impressions makes me jealous :/

Hooray for typecasting! #notreally

EDIT: Come to think of it, I find it funny that Marine is not just the only character with an accent in the games, but is probably one of the only characters without a voice thus far.

OMG Aero

I haven't posted in this thread for a long time, but I feel like I have posted here enough in the past to make me eligible for the traditional SonicGAF Bad Sonic Birthday Cake™. You know, if today happened to be my birthday.
hint hint

Oh boy, what's wrong with the music?

The song itself isn't... terrible.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKjlTQnqwNg

I mean, it reminds more of a scene where someone is walking down the stereotypical "friendly neighborhood" on a bright sunny day or something along those lines rather than taking an adventure, but whatever.

However, 95% of the game's music is either that song or a variation of it. So for an hour long video uploaded showcasing the game, 90% of the music was that song or a variation of it. It's mind numbing.

Sciz

Omega's the best part of this arc.

The best gag, and it's easy to miss this if you aren't looking for it, is that the GUN troopers are all named after the Archie cast. In this universe they somehow ended up as space marines.

Oh wow. What'd they base this off of, the PAL Sonic 3D box art

Goddamn, I didn't know that Penders ever went as low as that.

"Ever went" is past tense. If you read the follow up post, someone just called him out on it, which proceeded to bounce right off his wall of egomania.

Kids could probably impale themselves on Sonic's solid spines of icing trying to get a slice of that, maybe that explains the scattered rings.

Tizoc

I haven't posted in this thread for a long time, but I feel like I have posted here enough in the past to make me eligible for the traditional SonicGAF Bad Sonic Birthday Cake™. You know, if today happened to be my birthday.
hint hint

I find that the older you get the less interest you get for one's own birthday.

edit: Happy b-day non the less, hope you have a rockin' week~

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
hint hint
I tweeted you your cake before, but happy birthday!

XLKMmgT.jpg

Top Bottom