• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

TheOGB

Banned
pfft, his arms are the wrong color.
shiet
3KSIlaA.jpg

Edit: Takenobu Mitsuyoshi is the announcer in the JP version of ASRT

God I really hope he yells "ROLLING STAAAAAAAAAAAAAART" at the beginning of air events. The start of the NiGHTS track would always be magical

BlackJace

What're the pros and cons of the Sonic Advance games? As I understand it, 1 is the best of the series?

1 focuses a tad too much on platforming and puzzles. Some say its a bit too slow.

2 focuses way too much on speed, not nearly as much on platforming. Hot Crater, Act 2 y'all. Obtaining the Chaos Emeralds is a bullshit process.

I haven't played enough of 3 to have a solid judgment, but I liked it.

Rlan

1 focuses a tad too much on platforming and puzzles. Some say its a bit too slow.

2 focuses way too much on speed, not nearly as much on platforming. Hot Crater, Act 2 y'all. Obtaining the Chaos Emeralds is a bullshit process.

I haven't played enough of 3 to have a solid judgment, but I liked it.

3's combination stuff is just kind of shit. The second characters fail far more than Tails in Sonic 2 ever did, and for the most part the powers are a detriment to just playing alone. (Tails + Knuckles for one)

Sonic Battle's great though, and Sonic Pinball Party wasn't bad either.

BlackJace

3's combination stuff is just kind of shit. The second characters fail far more than Tails in Sonic 2 ever did, and for the most part the powers are a detriment to just playing alone. (Tails + Knuckles for one)

Sonic Battle's great though, and Sonic Pinball Party wasn't bad either.

I think I only got to the second Zone in 3, so it's a shame to hear it falls apart.

And I agree, Battle's an awesome game.

Sonic Battle is good but it still suffers from the typical Dimps "AND NOW THE DIFFICULTY SPIKES REALLY HARD!!!!!" challenge curve.

Never forget Rouge vs. Sonic and Amy. NEVER FORGET

Dario ff

Banned
We had a very fun stream yesterday with a collision mod that lets you stick to any wall + some other random stuff we had for Sonic '06 (Sombrero Eggman included). We'll probably be doing one for Shadow's story in a few days, but we need some ideas for more broken stuff / fun replacements beforehand.

Any suggestions are welcome, or you can just come hang around later. :)

Been meaning to post this for a while. I've been reading through old issues of the comic slowly (and I have all the back issues, but I'd rather not dig them out, hence scans. I want to see them how they were, not the tweaked rereleases anyway.)

So normally I skip past the letters page when rereading these. But in light of the recent copyright fights, this caught my eye...

gtXWctw.jpg

"You guys never sign your scripts!"

Sonic Battle is good but it still suffers from the typical Dimps "AND NOW THE DIFFICULTY SPIKES REALLY HARD!!!!!" challenge curve.

It's been forever since I played the game, but wasn't there a very specific quirk to the game, that there were three attack types to the game, and that when an AI fighter respawned, they'd always block two of the types, but not the third?

Sciz

Nicole gets no respect.

This was a really fun issue. If this is the direction the series is going in a general sense I am so okay with that.

We had a very fun stream yesterday with a collision mod that lets you stick to any wall + some other random stuff we had for Sonic '06 (Sombrero Eggman included).

Sonic '06 doesn't seem significantly more broken than usual.

Wasn't actually a Dimps production, though, that's all Sonic Team's fault.

Related: The director/planner/programmer has gone on to be one of the designers on Revengeance.

It's been forever since I played the game, but wasn't there a very specific quirk to the game, that there were three attack types to the game, and that when an AI fighter respawned, they'd always block two of the types, but not the third?

There was that weird instakill power meter you could build, and they'd block whatever type you last one shot them with. Something like that.

Forget Generations, we need a SonicGAF plays Sonic Battle event.

Yep. It was a system probably implemented to prevent spamming a certain move over and over again, but basically before you spawned you could select a specific attribute... like, I forget specifically, it might've been the speed/power/flight system or something. So you'd pick an attribute and if you spammed a move that used that specific attribute, the CPU would eventually start to block it at random, until it blocked it 100% of the time. But doing that made the CPU less likely to block moves of the alternate type.

So you could spawn, find the one move the CPU doesn't block, spam it until it stops working, let yourself be killed, find the next move the CPU doesn't block, spam it until it stops working, let yourself be killed, so on and so forth. Even if you let yourself die, you'd always come out on top at the end because you were still killing them 2-3 times for every one of your deaths.

And there was a predictable method to it. Once you knew the order for that one character, that's how it went for all opponents, so you could get pretty efficient at knowing exactly what moves were spammable when.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That Yoshi's Island 3DS is, um, something? I feel like the visuals are catered more to people who play with 3D on. Since I can't see 3D at all, I feel like I'm losing something. The music is... something. :/

If you're worrying that you can't get back into certain areas to collect stuff, don't. You can actually go back in right away to get stuff you missed. Um, I feel like some of the hidden areas and harder platforming are scaled back in this game. While it features some level design that's better than Yoshi's Island DS, it still does some disappointed stuff.

Otherwise, the game feels weird so far. I dunno. Use the D-pad instead of the analog nub because you get better control that way. I also switched to B-Style control because A-style sucks.

Where the hell is Yarn Yoshi.

Nicole gets no respect.

This was a really fun issue. If this is the direction the series is going in a general sense I am so okay with that.

Forget Generations, we need a SonicGAF plays Sonic Battle event.
I've only played this game once. I'd get creamed. D:

I just picked up a stack of comics today including a few Mega Man issues, so I'll get caught up sooner or later.

BHZ Mayor

We had a very fun stream yesterday with a collision mod that lets you stick to any wall + some other random stuff we had for Sonic '06 (Sombrero Eggman included). We'll probably be doing one for Shadow's story in a few days, but we need some ideas for more broken stuff / fun replacements beforehand.

Any suggestions are welcome, or you can just come hang around later. :)

First thing I noticed was "wait, Sonic actually looks...good" before I realized you were using the Generations or Unleashed model.

Razzer

Been a while since I posted, a belated birthday Aero! Also, battle was the shit. I'd drone on some more but I'm about to sleep so I'll just say.
Sonic battle, secret best artstyle?

Tizoc

Nicole gets no respect.

Under Ian's penmenship, the series has been geared more towards 'fun' for the longest time. Take for example the issue where Sonic and Bunny were in a desert area which is being battled by 2 factions.

Sciz

Under Ian's penmenship, the series has been geared more towards 'fun' for the longest time. Take for example the issue where Sonic and Bunny were in a desert area which is being battled by 2 factions.

Yeah, I loved that one. That sort of issue never came around often enough before, and I'm hoping he's finally noticed that his dramatic pacing isn't as good as his action-comedy work.

PKrockin

Been a while since I posted, a belated birthday Aero! Also, battle was the shit. I'd drone on some more but I'm about to sleep so I'll just say.
Sonic battle, secret best artstyle?
I love the art and music of Battle. It just screams XTREME in a such a cheesy, endearing way.

SJS

Playing cards with SMT X Fire Emblem.

THE PAAAAAAAAAIIN

So I was wondering... does anyone have this Sonic bubble blowing toy from their childhood? It's sort of like a figurine in that you have Sonic sitting standalone looking all pissed with his arms crossed, but it's also a disguised bubble blowing dispenser that you can access by detaching his head.

I've always had this thing sitting around in my room.

Falk

that puzzling face
Can you even Japanese?

(It's JP version. Hamauzu-san sent copies to us. I'm probably changing my preorder of the EN to Vita, but I'll make time to play this in JP too because it'll help a bunch with my rudimentary Japanese)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I beat South Park last night. It's one of the grossest games I've ever played, but it's really good. I enjoyed myself a lot with that one. The last few hours were a rollercoaster.

And Canada was the best part of the game.
<--- Not biased.

http://i.imgur.com/7T2R8yel.jpg[img]

Yaaaaay

(I have no time :( )[/QUOTE]
You got the superior FFX-2 HD cover.

I opted to import 3DS/BD instead of FF X-2 HD, and I kinda don't mind that. I've played FFX-2 in Japanese, but not the laughing crow game. Kinda curious what it's like in Japanese.

BlackJace

Can you even Japanese?

(It's JP version. Hamauzu-san sent copies to us. I'm probably changing my preorder of the EN to Vita, but I'll make time to play this in JP too because it'll help a bunch with my rudimentary Japanese)

Haha, a Japanese speaker I am not.

I've always thought about taking up the language though...

PKrockin

I'll be your sempai BlackJace

But really, Japanese is fun. A great challenge, but all the more rewarding for it.

THE PAAAAAAAAAIIN

So I was wondering... does anyone have this Sonic bubble blowing toy from their childhood? It's sort of like a figurine in that you have Sonic sitting standalone looking all pissed with his arms crossed, but it's also a disguised bubble blowing dispenser that you can access by detaching his head.

I've always had this thing sitting around in my room.
*Raises hand*

IIRC you had to twist his head about a thousand times before the damn thing completely unscrewed.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Japanese takes a lot of practice, but it's useful depending on your hobbies. Picking up another language is always useful now matter what it is, really. But I'm biased because one of my majors in undergrad was linguistics, so... >.>

----

I'm doing Bopopolis right now.

Screw Nocturnowl. D:

HUELEN10

What an awesome issue.

You know, fuck Ken Penders and all that jazz; a reboot did not need to happen. That being said, I couldn't be prouder with Ian and the crew; they have truly hit the ground running and not only made the most of a bad situation, but have done it, in my opinion, so well. I love that Nicole is now more of a real part of the team, I love the interactions the characters are having with each other.

Seriously, it's a great time to be an Archieverse fan!

Sciz

What an awesome issue.

You know, fuck Ken Penders and all that jazz; a reboot did not need to happen. That being said, I couldn't be prouder with Ian and the crew; they have truly hit the ground running and not only made the most of a bad situation, but have done it, in my opinion, so well. I love that Nicole is now more of a real part of the team, I love the interactions the characters are having with each other.

Seriously, it's a great time to be an Archieverse fan!

There was some unverifiable scuttlebutt over on the Retro forums about how a change along these lines was coming independently of the legal blowup per Sega's request. Ended up being more severe and abrupt than it otherwise would have, I imagine, but finally making the comic recognizable as a Sonic comic beyond just having him in it was apparently in the cards either way.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I keep reading that as VII and not V II

wtf japan
I think that was the joke they wanted to make, heh.

I guess you better get a move on and finish your favourite game Schala, so you're ready for when the new one comes out.
Every time I go to play that game, I always think twice and play something else. I really should beat it, though. I played the other games, so why not.

I've had my Wii U for a few weeks now, so I need y'all's NNIDs.

BHZ_Mayor
Adding you this evening when I play more DKCR2.

Was Dixie that nice to handle in DKC3? I still haven't played it, but I don't remember her being that cool to move around when I played the game at the kiosk/at other people's houses.

Thank you for summing up the main problem I had with the comic pre-reboot in a single sentence.
Yup. That's why I stopped reading it before picking it up again, even if Ian was trying so hard to rework everything. I think this was needed.

So uh, this track can go join the ranks of Nocturne, Comedy and Mansion Basement, right?
Good lord, I thought I was prepared for whatever this link held but how wrong I was.

Mansion Basement doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the rest of those tracks simply because it never fails to make me laugh, a masterpiece of awful that one.

Was Dixie that nice to handle in DKC3? I still haven't played it, but I don't remember her being that cool to move around when I played the game at the kiosk/at other people's houses.

While I'm not entirely sure what you're asking I'll take a crack at it anyway. Each Dixie plays by the rules of their own game as far as basic movement goes i which case I think Retro's game has a faster flowing feel, especially on the attack. If we're factoring in the helicopter hair it's quite different between games, DKC2/3 was spinning to slow your descent while in TF it's an ascending hair spin, how long you hold the button depends on how much of the double jump you use in one leap, as such she feels more adaptable I guess?

Top Bottom