• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Dario ff

Banned
We're doing another stream of Shadow's story today: http://www.twitch.tv/melpontro

1AgUqQN.png

It's good enough!

BHZ Mayor

Was Dixie that nice to handle in DKC3? I still haven't played it, but I don't remember her being that cool to move around when I played the game at the kiosk/at other people's houses.

In the original trilogy, her hair was just basically Knuckles glide without the ability to stick to walls. Pretty useful and broke certain parts of the games. Whether you consider that better or worse than DKCTF is up to you. She's still the best Kong in all of the games she's in.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
We're doing another stream of Shadow's story today: http://www.twitch.tv/melpontro
That's legitimately the best model I've seen. :D

omg.

While I'm not entirely sure what you're asking I'll take a crack at it anyway. Each Dixie plays by the rules of their own game as far as basic movement goes i which case I think Retro's game has a faster flowing feel, especially on the attack. If we're factoring in the helicopter hair it's quite different between games, DKC2/3 was spinning to slow your descent while in TF it's an ascending hair spin, how long you hold the button depends on how much of the double jump you use in one leap, as such she feels more adaptable I guess?
That's actually the question I was asking, yes. Thank you. :)

I do feel like Retro designed her to be quicker and have better lift. I like it so much better than DKC2. Diddy's more horizontal by comparison in DKCR2.

...DKCR2 ain't so bad so far. I... kinda think it's... okay?

In the original trilogy, her hair was just basically Knuckles glide without the ability to stick to walls. Pretty useful and broke certain parts of the games. Whether you consider that better or worse than DKCTF is up to you. She's still the best Kong in all of the games she's in.
Yeah, in DKC2 she was alright to use. I didn't spend a lot of time with DKC3, so I had no idea.

So uh, this track can go join the ranks of Nocturne, Comedy and Mansion Basement, right?
The entire soundtrack is fucking garbage. This is why I was telling you privately that I never want to listen to kazoos ever again.

Like, you're lucky I'm on mobile so I didn't have to click it to hear what it was.

Early contender for the Crazy Bus Award, btw. Like, it's fucking unreal.

I feel like a lot of good parts of the game are squandered because when you see something cool in one of the levels, you're not going to see it ever again, or it'll be used very sparingly (like maybe once again) in other levels. I dunno. It feels like it handles well, but so many things are squandered that it bothers and disappoints me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think that was a joke. :V

In all seriousness, the music and presentation are the worst things about the game. Music feels anemic, presentation is too much. Everything else is okay to an extent. The level design feels better than Yoshi's Island DS sometimes. The physics and mechanics feel good. It might be because it takes elements from the original Yoshi's Island. It plays like Yoshi's Island outside of some aiming lag.

A lot of the neat ideas like clone Yoshis, various versions of eggdozers, seesaws, various enemy types, etc are used maybe once or twice before being retired. It factors into the game not feeling like it sets itself apart from anything else. It repackages a lot of elements from the original game, and when it tries to do something different yet solid, you only see it once or twice. I do have to say that Mario's cries probably aren't as shrieky as people thought they were. Gyro controls are terrible, but you know I don't like gyro in 3DS games at all.

The game part of the game isn't crap. A lot of the other elements of it feel subpar and disappointing. Some of the music feels absolutely mismatched to what's going on, so that's why I think the music is pretty bad. I think the Fortress theme is still pretty bad, really, and that's the theme that people are saying is the 'least-bad' theme. I legitimately dislike the sound font that this game is using.

You know how when you play a game, you can tell if a developer had just as much fun creating the game as you're having playing it? I feel nothing about that here. It feels like they tried to retread old territory in an effort to try to make a slight update to something that already exists. There's a lack of creative spirit in this game and it's so frustrating to see. It feels like it's missing the point. It's also missing the point that Yoshi's Island originally tried to make. With all of this push to create platformers and other games with pretty graphics and 3D-esque graphics, Yoshi's Island sought to try to do something different. It was a legitimate "fuck you" to every other game out there, even on the same system. It told us that new tech didn't always have to keep climbing tiers to try to make older gaming formats not work anymore. You can breathe new life into older looks and older ways of play by using the technology that you have access to. The 3DS is capable of more than what the SFX2 chip can do. So that's why I'm dismayed that the game didn't even try, while gucking up any saving grace it had.

Gameplay-wise, it's alright and enjoyable, because Arzest tried to use the original Yoshi's Island way of designing levels. Everything else is just a disappointment.

Sciz

The entire soundtrack is fucking garbage. This is why I was telling you privately that I never want to listen to kazoos ever again.

Listening to it in a vacuum independent of the pacing of the gameplay, there are actually a couple iterations of the main theme I like:

Evening
Special Levels

The melody's salvageable, but most of the versions are too damned sleepy for a YI game, and the sample selection is really questionable at times as you mentioned. It's also overused, but then the rest of the music gets a resounding meh anyway, so more diversity wouldn't necessarily have helped anything.

That's actually the question I was asking, yes. Thank you. :)

I do feel like Retro designed her to be quicker and have better lift. I like it so much better than DKC2. Diddy's more horizontal by comparison in DKCR2.

...DKCR2 ain't so bad so far. I... kinda think it's... okay?
It's like the act of typing up that last sentence was almost too much to handle.
Progress!

Rayman Legends leveraged the power of the kazoo for good instead of evil.

Oh wow, I just noticed the Avy switch, Nocturnowl. I saw who replied and I'm like "who's this guy".
And here I thought people would remember me if I stuck to owls.

Listening to it in a vacuum independent of the pacing of the gameplay, there are actually a couple iterations of the main theme I like:

Evening
Special Levels

The melody's salvageable, but most of the versions are too damned sleepy for a YI game, and the sample selection is really questionable at times as you mentioned. It's also overused, but then the rest of the music gets a resounding meh anyway, so more diversity wouldn't necessarily have helped anything.

That second link doesn't work, and in searching for the music, I ended up watching the last boss fight and ending.

Lots of copied over elements, meant to be "homage", but just coming across as "Here it is again, but easier!" Kind of a theme in Mario games lately.

And then completely freaking random
HERE'S ADULT BOWSER, because these games end with Bowser fights on a bridge, right?
Is that a reward for unlocking everything, or does it always happen?

Then you see that they recycled part of the ending when making the intro, even if the ending is the "better version". And they still took the Bros. to a Mushroom House, when they had the opportunity to actually get them to Brooklyn... I think that part of the story is dead now. Mario isn't a plumber from Brooklyn in a strange kingdom, he's a weird mushroom person that's always belonged there.

With all that said, there was one really nice touch, which was
seeing the pipe person sneaking by, which I'd seen in prior videos, with it setting down the pipe disguise, then a silhouette of Mario popping out. Timed with the music, and the idea of Mario helping Yoshi along in the same way adult Bowser came back, but keeping it a secret, was a nice little moment.

The framerate in Sonic Unleashed is hilarious, and on the topic of Unleashed, according to Ben Bates, the name of Professor Pickle's assistant is Q. Cumber Gerkin. Also, Sally
technically doesn't have hair anymore

BlackJace

Thanks again guys.

I also went back and played some Heroes because I apparently hate myself. Like, I feel as though I enjoy it at times, but then it's like it detects me finding a modicum of enjoyment and proceeds to slap me in the face.

Team Dark's Power Plant can get lost :/

Falk

that puzzling face
This is only somewhat tangentially related to the discussion about "how do people bad at stuff hold jobs" but check this one out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBaAw8fh-wU

22-time Grammy Award Winning mix engineer who semi-recently took to giving 'tips' on Youtube. This one talks about widening a stereo guitar image. Except, the Youtube video is in mono for some inexplicable reason. Meaning whatever he's doing that has to do with stereo image is doing jack shit on the Youtube upload.

Yeah, I get that it could have been an honest mistake, and one that's not Pensado's own fault as it has to do with the video production crew. That being said the fact that it hasn't been taken down and rectified says a lot about whoever's involved, and the amount of "omg i hear it" comments on Youtube is just reflective of how many people in the audio industry, professional and hobbyist alike, literally have no clue what they're doing.

This is only somewhat tangentially related to the discussion about "how do people bad at stuff hold jobs" but check this one out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBaAw8fh-wU

22-time Grammy Award Winning mix engineer who semi-recently took to giving 'tips' on Youtube. This one talks about widening a stereo guitar image. Except, the Youtube video is in mono for some inexplicable reason. Meaning whatever he's doing that has to do with stereo image is doing jack shit on the Youtube upload.

Yeah, I get that it could have been an honest mistake, and one that's not Pensado's own fault as it has to do with the video production crew. That being said the fact that it hasn't been taken down and rectified says a lot about whoever's involved, and the amount of "omg i hear it" comments on Youtube is just reflective of how many people in the audio industry, professional and hobbyist alike, literally have no clue what they're doing.

Youtube does some weird things to video uploads sometimes. I wonder if maybe it's just a codec incompatibility and its being downsampled by Youtube for some reason.

THE YEAR OF PROFESSOR BEEF

MWAHAHA
When I woke up this morning and read this declaration I knew it was bad news even before the evil laugh, little did I know how bad it was until I looked elsewhere...

No Cerny, no sale.

Which reminds me, I was gonna Cerny up some wrestlegaf avatars. I'll do it when I'm off work. Stro and Sunny are up first

Not even 24 hours in and this year is terrible.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day SPECIAL EDITION

Song: Theme
Game: Space Harrier
Composer: Hiroshi Kawaguchi

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone, get ready!

It's in ASRT, it counts, and I can't stop listening to it. Nobody was doing stuff like this in 1985. Capcom had a bunch of shmups with FM music at the time, but they didn't sound like Space Harrier, and they sure as hell didn't look anything like it.

It's a fantastic, triumphant, blue skies Sega classic even before it hits the two minute mark, but that bridge. It takes guts to turn off the good cheer entirely and rip out a heart-rending solo like that in a game about a flying man exploding his way through robots, dragons, and moai heads across an endless plaid plain, but by god it works, and for a brief moment you are completely, 100% hooked into the fantasy zone. Pure Sega magic.

Impact probably would've been greater for me if I hadn't just finished watching the first half of Series Seven of Doctor Who twenty minutes before the announcement.
Goddammit Rory. T______T

I don't see it taking off anytime soon.

Also this; probably won't be on shelves until after this gen.

Top Bottom