• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Sciz

The hardware will probably be ready within 12-18 months (Oculus, if not Sony), and at that point it's a matter of content availability hitting critical mass, and then VR's hitting the road running and never looking back.

Am I the only one in here who has more than zero interest in it? I find 3D fascinating, and the idea of a 3D screen without crosstalk intrigues me.

Although I'm not so hot on the whole move-your-head-to-move-the-camera thing - yet, at least - and want to hear prices before I decide how much more interest to give it.

Admittedly I'm more interested in the Occulus Rift than Project Morpheus, but eh.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have no interest in stuff like Oculus Rift and VR because stuff like that gives me a headache/triggers my motion sickness. I just can't do it from a health perspective.

Anth0ny

I turn off 3D on my 3DS. It hurts my head and battery >>>>>>> shitty 3D effect.

I turn off rumble on my controllers because it annoys me.

I enjoyed Wii games in spite of motion controls, not because of them (pointer controls are fine, though).

I tried Kinect once, it didn't work as I expected, and I don't plan to ever use it again.

I can't for the life of me imagine a scenario where I enjoy VR. I'll try it sometime down the road when the tech is dirt cheap
after it bombs. No one is going to want to buy an expensive peripheral for their already expensive PS4

Dario ff

Banned
I'm glad someone did a gif of this.

tumblr_n2na377g9F1t3o3fvo1_400.gif

Anyone else not give a single fuck about all this VR crap? I can't be the only one.
I don't see it as an interesting device on a PS4. No room for pushing the limits, making your own content or trying out the cool non-games related stuff people will do on their own.

Sciz

So basically, yes, I am the only one here who cares. Got it.

What, no, I'm all over this and have been since Carmack showed up at E3 with a duct-taped prototype and a copy of Doom 3. Wonder if it might be the sort of thing that speaks more immediately to those of us with a strong PC background, though.

Chip finally confirmed to be appearing in Archie Sonic in issue #65 of Universe. Took 'em long enough.

I am really looking forward to seeing this Unleashed arc kick off proper.

What, no, I'm all over this and have been since Carmack showed up at E3 with a duct-taped prototype and a copy of Doom 3. Wonder if it might be the sort of thing that speaks more immediately to those of us with a strong PC background, though.
Ack, sorry, missed your post there before my first one. Well, that's reason for me to be less defeatist, at least.

Tizoc

Finally reached the final boss in Casltevania LoS2 on Very Hard mode.
I can barely damage th fucker let alone hit him.
99% of his attacks are just 'Schwing' 'Schwing' 'Schwing'.
To the trade bin you go, Tropies aren't worth all this boredom...
BACK TO SLEEPY DAWGS!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
More people need to play Sleepy Dawgs.

And man, I can't wait for the Unleashed arc in the comics. I hope it's cool.

Ack, sorry, missed your post there before my first one. Well, that's reason for me to be less defeatist, at least.
Coldman seemed into it too, you know. Seems like a divisive thing.

Like I said, it's a health reason, so that's why I kinda don't care. Just like how I don't care about 3D anything: because I can't see it.

Noi

I'll likely get to VR as soon as it becomes more affordable to plebs like me. If anything, I'm more interested in what progress in VR tech will bring about as side-results from the main application. I mean, it's still a technological advancement that's likely gonna bring about some changes aside from its main application.

Sciz

I'll likely get to VR as soon as it becomes more affordable to plebs like me. If anything, I'm more interested in what progress in VR tech will bring about as side-results from the main application. I mean, it's still a technological advancement that's likely gonna bring about some changes aside from its main application.

It's gonna be so big in any field that has a reason to virtually place people in some other location, especially if we can ever nail down motion control. Games are just the beginning.

tTc9cKQ.gif

Anyone else not give a single fuck about all this VR crap? I can't be the only one.
I don't see it taking off anytime soon.
Also this; probably won't be on shelves until after this gen.
As of right now I have zero fucks available for VR myself.
That could change at some point I guess but it's never held much appeal to me.
I have no interest in stuff like Oculus Rift and VR because stuff like that gives me a headache/triggers my motion sickness. I just can't do it from a health perspective.

I will give the fucks for all of you. *pats his Dev Kit 1, and his fresh new bill for a Dev Kit 2*

Schala: They are working on fixing that very issue for a lot of people. That's why they've been pushing the framerates higher and higher, switching to low-persistence displays, and such. The goal is "Can you see things normally? Then it will work without making you sick." They're not 100% there yet, but what they have accomplished is leaps and bounds over everything prior. In part because people weren't asking the right questions before, they were just strapping screens or shutters to people's faces, "Good enough!" Also in part because the tech didn't exist yet. Thank you crazy cell phone spec wars.

Honestly, the best part of VR, when properly done, is this feeling of substance that you don't get by just looking at a screen, even a stereoscopic display. The DK1 is ridiculously low-res, doesn't have the best motion tracking, etc, and it's still that feeling of being embedded into world, that urge to touch things even though there's nothing to track your hands... There's been all sorts of jokes about "Project Morpheus" and the Matrix, but that dumb "No one can be told what (VR) is, you have to see it for yourself" quote is fairly applicable. You approach it with an open mind, someone plops you in a chair, they put the headset on, and you go, "Well this isn't that grea- oh. ...OH."

"I tried it in the 90s." So did I. I can not tell you how much I was let down by the VR back then. Same with those HMD arcade games. This is nothing like that. The tech is finally cheap enough and good enough, and there are intelligent people asking the right questions, and answering them before pushing hardware into the market (beyond the small companies trying to push crap into the marketplace to ride the wave)... I really think it's going to take off.

RobbieNick

From Sonic Boom producer Stephen Frost on the TSS forums.

Frostman007 said:
We wanted to keep the egg motif with him, but also wanted him to be more formidable in his appearance. So, one day, we had this epiphany and rotated the egg shape upside down.

Why didn't I see this before?! Brilliant!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You know how it is.

http://i.imgur.com/L9VRibD.png[IMG]

[SPOILER]we still cool[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]
LOL.

Pretty sure half of us are black/brown anyway. I'm stuck in this weird "West Indian Trinidadian" thing, though.

[quote="Azure Dream, post: 105076139"]Schala: They are working on fixing that very issue for a lot of people. That's why they've been pushing the framerates higher and higher, switching to low-persistence displays, and such. The goal is "Can you see things normally? Then it will work without making you sick." They're not 100% there yet, but what they have accomplished is leaps and bounds over everything prior. In part because people weren't asking the right questions before, they were just strapping screens or shutters to people's faces, "Good enough!" Also in part because the tech didn't exist yet. Thank you crazy cell phone spec wars..[/QUOTE]
Hmmm. Okay. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt if it gets to that point. It [I]could[/I] be like when I tried 3D for the first time (ie: 3D before 3D) and it was awful. If they try to find some norm for it for most people, then that's okay.

At least they're [I]trying[/I].

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
FUCK BEES.

They suck. They're the worst enemies in Sonic Unleashed and slowed down the pacing in some of the Werehog areas dramatically. I especially hate the missions where you have to get rid of all of the bees in one part of the town.

Bees? Pls.

BlackJace

FUCK BEES.

They suck. They're the worst enemies in Sonic Unleashed and slowed down the pacing in some of the Werehog areas dramatically. I especially hate the missions where you have to get rid of all of the bees in one part of the town.

Bees? Pls.

Tell me about it. Motherfuckers were almost impossible to counter.

SJS

*Raises hand*

IIRC you had to twist his head about a thousand times before the damn thing completely unscrewed.

Oh yeah, definitely. The head is very firmly attached.

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this thing. I remember actually bothering to use it as a kid - it was awkward explaining the detached head to others!

Razzer

I'm hyped for VR! Well, the finished product anyway. Not bothered with it until Oculus have said they are happy with it as a full release. Playing any racing game should be mindblowing if reports are to believed.

Top Bottom