• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Tizoc

FUCK BEES.

They suck. They're the worst enemies in Sonic Unleashed and slowed down the pacing in some of the Werehog areas dramatically. I especially hate the missions where you have to get rid of all of the bees in one part of the town.

Bees? Pls.

3636367-beeweapon.jpg

Batman knows the feeling.

Just to be clear, people know this is a Gaia minion from Sonic Unleashed, right?

JuyXnmH.png

It's undoubtedly part of their Unleashed arc, which Ian said hasn't happened yet in the reboot universe. Which explains the appearance of Chip, as noted above:

Ah yeah you're right, LoZ wasn't the series that came to mind when I saw that image.

Tizoc

Thinking of getting a Saturn as it's the only sega console I've never played. What are the sonic games on it? All genres please

Far as I can remember...Sonic 3D Blast and a compilation of Sonic 1-3 I think.
The Saturn never got a Sonic game on it.

Saturn Bomberman is the only Sonic game you'll ever need to play.

EDIT: Oh, and NiGHTS. I've always considered NiGHTS a Sonic character due to the huge amount of similarities between the two, not to mention all the cameos.

Anyone know how bans work? Does it simply just not let me post out does it block my ISP so that I can't even view the site? Planning on taking a week long ban after I put up an OT later today to get prepared for a trip.

I think VR could be cool, it's just that I can't really see how most of the types of games I play and enjoy would be enhanced by it. I don't play a lot of first-person stuff and shifting the games I do play to that perspective wouldn't really add anything to them so it's just kind of a "well I guess that's neat, but..." thing.

Anyone know how bans work? Does it simply just not let me post out does it block my ISP so that I can't even view the site? Planning on taking a week long ban after I put up an OT later today to get prepared for a trip.

If you stay signed in to your account you get the "you are banned until blah blah" page, but you can log out and lurk the forums like normal.

A Saturn is totally a worthwhile purchase if you can afford to spend big money, but not for its Sonic library. You get a port of Sonic 3D Blast (with better special stages and a superior soundtrack IMO, but it's still generally the same game), the original version of Sonic R, and the 1-3&K compilation that is Sonic Jam. That's it.

Sonic Team did develop some other interesting games, though. NiGHTS is unlike anything else out there, and Burning Rangers, while janky and a little too ambitious for the console, is a pretty unique firefighting action game.

Most of the console's shining achievements are outside of Sonic Team, though. The Panzer Dragoon trilogy (Saga is pretty great, but hella expensive), Radiant Silvergun (also hella expensive), Guardian Heroes, arcade-perfect Street Fighter Alpha and vs. Street Fighter ports, and so on. It's a great console for the shmup/fighter enthusiast - maybe not so much the platformer enthusiast, though.

SaturnGAF can probably assist you there better than I can alone.

Tizoc

I've been meaning to get that sometime, but I don't own it yet. Almost afraid to ask what it costs nowadays.

It is available on JPN PSN, part of the PS2 classics, but of course you want the Satrun ver. =p
For whatever strange reason there's a part at the fountain where the frame rate goes down like...1 FPS per second. WTF M2...

The money I would pay for Dynamite Cop 1+2 HD re-release...

The comics have done a good mix of dark and light, so if they miraculously manage to find that same balance it could be good. I say miraculously, when in reality it seems quite simple to achieve.

Yeah, but they're mixing live action with CGI. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

WHO WANTS A BADASS SONIC, MOTHERLOVERS?

('Cuz I don't; they'll just produce a tryhard, like Shadow)

Instead of chowing down chilly dogs, he'll snort Cocaine. Instead of being fun loving, he'll be an adrenaline junky with a death wish since he girlfriend died in a tragic backstory event. He'll be an orphan, will have been abused as a child, and the only thing he has to remember his birth parents by is a single photo. He'll also swear incessantly. He'll also have amnesia and will constantly angst about his forgotten past.

Sonic The Shadowy Hedgehog

Rated PG-13.

Excuse me while I go vomit

In light of the Sonic the Movie announcement, what do you guys think of the original Sonic The Movie?

51AH7KP4RRL.jpg

I must have watched the Sonic Jam Japanese trailer 100 times for this movie. Aside from the horrendous voice acting in the English version, I've always kind of enjoyed it. The animation is awesome and they do a good job with the Sonic Vs. Metal plotline. Granted, we never need Sarah and the other strange characters ever again, but they did a good job with the original characters. Well..Maybe aside from Knuckles being a cowboy hat wearing mole.

I haven't seen the movie in ages. In fact, I've only seen it once!

It's all on youtube if you're interested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEfsgwjLQD4

I wouldn't normally hand out links to free movies on here, but apparently it's been discontinued and copies of the DVD go for $50+ on ebay now. Makes me angry that I had two copies (one original, one newer packaging) that burned in an apartment fire along with hordes of other Sonic memorabilia.

Anth0ny

BAH GAWD I DID IT

After 21 years on this Earth

I've finished a Final Fantasy game. FF1, to be exact. Damn that was good.

h0inGMJ.gif
oTlZD3B.gif
AlgSqUR.gif
tHGMsF3.gif

I think I'll be hitting up FFIV (2 in North America) next.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Beefy. Sometimes I don't even know why you bother. :V :V

Oh, I'm replaying FFX now. It's been a looooong time since I've played FFX (as in, I haven't played it since I was 16). Maaaaan, I... this game... um... I kinda had a feeling I wouldn't like it as much as I did back when I was a teenager, but it's amazing how slow it is.

By comparison, FFX-2 feels so right. It's much faster, all of the subsystems are integrated incredibly well, and there's tons of shit to do. Sure, sometimes it could be the Tales of FF, but other times, it's an incredibly well-paced, decently designed (and I mean that from a gameplay perspective because narrative pacing can be a mess), and fun game. It sucks that it gets ignored so much. I think it was some of their finest work.

I think I'll be hitting up FFIV (2 in North America) next.
You should be reading 8-bit Theater, too.

In light of the Sonic the Movie announcement, what do you guys think of the original Sonic The Movie?
It's honestly one of my favourites. I think we kinda agreed that Sonic goes back to his Felix the Cat roots here in terms of design, but the animation's pretty good, and the jokes are decent. It's exactly what I think of when I think of Sonic in terms of his characterization.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I remember when it was super-hip on the "RPGs - Squaresoft" board on GameFAQs in 2001-2002 to make quotes from the comic your sig since we all read it.

...those were the days.

I had no idea they got animated, though.

Newgrounds also has animated versions of the first comics, with Black Mage voiced by your friendly neighborhood Dan McNeely, aka That Guy Who's in Almost Every Newgrounds Flash Including a Lot that Got Retsufrash'd
Actually, "Dan McNeely" is just a role he played, named after the head of Armor Games. The guy's actual name is Edwyn Tiong, who goes by the online alias of "Omahdon".

Did I mention he has a role in Freedom Planet yet? Or that Freedom Planet has a tentative release date of May 30th, and that Strife's really crunching down to get the last stage wrapped up by March 31st? Or that I made a GIF of Milla jumping up and down in joy for no reason? Well, I have now.

PKrockin

I'm sorry, no matter how many times I hear his real name, he will always be Dan McNeely to me. lol

Freedom Planet? I don't remember, but given how the name is just a reversed "Planet Freedom" from the Sonic movie, I'm guessing that's the Sonic ripoff kickstarter.

Tizoc

Aw yes, where can I read about the official confirmation of the release date?
Who's making the OT cuz uh I'm kinda lazy to do it myself >_>;

Falk

that puzzling face
Youtube does some weird things to video uploads sometimes. I wonder if maybe it's just a codec incompatibility and its being downsampled by Youtube for some reason.

I've never had Youtube itself fold down to mono, and believe me I've been all around the block as far as experimenting with Youtube w.r.t the worst codecs/preparation possible.

Just because I get asked a lot to troubleshoot for people.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OMG Aero

51AH7KP4RRL.jpg

I must have watched the Sonic Jam Japanese trailer 100 times for this movie. Aside from the horrendous voice acting in the English version, I've always kind of enjoyed it. The animation is awesome and they do a good job with the Sonic Vs. Metal plotline. Granted, we never need Sarah and the other strange characters ever again, but they did a good job with the original characters. Well..Maybe aside from Knuckles being a cowboy hat wearing mole.
Just thinking about that movie get really makes me want to scrape my knuckles and catch some tails.

seriously though why would anyone want to scrape their knuckles and what does catch some tails even mean those taglines are terrible

MAtgS

I might be 1 of the only people to prefer episode 1 to episode 2. I like the sequence where Sonic & Tails explore what actually looked like a video game level in animated form. On a side note, episode 1 seemed to have different end music to episode 2 but its cut off in the movie edit & I can't find it anywhere.

PKrockin

That's kinda harsh <_<
I don't know anything about it really, I just remember hearing bad things about some Sonic ripoff kickstarter. I looked at the website now and trailer and it actually looks nice. Wonder why the title is in katakana though. Maybe to give the "this is an old-school Japanese action game" impression.

It is available on JPN PSN, part of the PS2 classics, but of course you want the Satrun ver. =p
For whatever strange reason there's a part at the fountain where the frame rate goes down like...1 FPS per second. WTF M2...

The money I would pay for Dynamite Cop 1+2 HD re-release...

you know, I want to pick that and the Phantasy Star collection (along with the Virtual On - even if I already own the Saturn version along with the twin sticks) from the JPN PSN...but the codes are alittle pricey for me at the moment.

As for Saturn recommendations...find a copy of the Segata Sanshiro game.

Tizoc

you know, I want to pick that and the Phantasy Star collection (along with the Virtual On - even if I already own the Saturn version along with the twin sticks) from the JPN PSN...but the codes are alittle pricey for me at the moment.

As for Saturn recommendations...find a copy of the Segata Sanshiro game.

My advice? Use Japan codes or play asia. J-P is usually cheaper IIRC.
Use Play asia only if you manage to get $5 discount coupons from the play asia NeoGAF thread.

BHZ Mayor

So uh, Super Mario 3D World guys. Just found out that you can rub the fairies (Yes, rub. The cursor starts as a hand pointing then changes to a rubbing position when you move it over a character) with the touchscreen, and they go "Ooh!" when you do it, not unlike...an...h-game. :|

I'm sorry.

PKrockin

So uh, Super Mario 3D World guys. Just found out that you can rub the fairies (Yes, rub. The cursor starts as a hand pointing then changes to a rubbing position when you move it over a character) with the touchscreen, and they go "Ooh!" when you do it, not unlike...an...h-game. :|

I'm sorry.
Uh... you may want to lay off the marathon Violent Semen Inferno sessions, that doesn't sound at all like pleasure to me. Just another weird cutesy Mario world sound.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Lost World makes me regret buying it instead of Donkey Kong. It's just ugh..

I'd like to try Cloudbuilt but no way is this thing of mine is running that, and I'd need the controller support update as well because keyboard controls are my kryptonite.
Still it's nice to see some more 3D platforming for a change.

Lost World makes me regret buying it instead of Donkey Kong. It's just ugh..
I'm feeling second hand regret from just reading this scenario.

That's not saying much, I'd have more fluid parkour myself jumping into a wall and tumbling down to the floor in agony than in Sonic Lost World.

Top Bottom