• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Dario ff

Banned
If you're in the mood for Parkour games, everyone needs to check out Hover, since now they got the Jet Set Radio guy on board for music (after that trailer was released).

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I'm feeling second hand regret from just reading this scenario.

To be fair I didn't think Donkey Kong would be delayed back then. I also didn't think they would screw Lost World up like they did in the later levels/bosses. So basically Sonic Team gave me a big middle finger and after that I'm not buying Sonic games day one again. Here I thought they learned after Colors and Generations. Lost World went from good --> okay --> fuck this shit.

The only reason I still even keep it is because of the Yoshi DLC and whatever that other one might be.

Toadette

Banned
when the last time vocal songs were made for a sonic game ?

generations ?

surprised there was none for lost world

i hope sega keep producing songs for the sonic series there really aweosme

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
If there's one thing Lost World did get right it was no vocal music. Please no more ever again.

Sciz

A world without Sega vocal tracks would be a terrible thing.

Hey, who wants to hear Kenichi Tokoi sing?

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - SPECIAL EDITION

Song: Kimi no Tame Nara Shineru (For You, I Would Die)
Game: Feel the Magic XY/XX
Composer: Naofumi Hataya
Lyrics: Takumi Yoshinaga

Vocals: Kenichi Tokoi
Chorus: The Rub Rabbits

No one had any idea what to do with the DS when it came out, so Sega defaulted to the minigame collection and then proceeded to be Sega and made it the most memorable minigame collection ever seen before or since through sheer force of personality. It's arguably still one of the best looking games on the system, too, simply because the art direction neatly sidesteps how the DS is terrible at texturing.

Then there's the five minute vocal theme, because Sega has never had any problem with wildly overproducing their music. Yes, that seriously is Tokoi on vocals, proving himself to be a man of many talents, a deep, rich tone, and what I can only assume to be an excellent relationship with his coworkers. And if you think that's unusual, there's a song in the sequel where Hataya managed to wrangle Yuji Naka of all people into the recording booth to hum sing a few bars. These games are weird.

And don't miss Ohtani's mix of the theme, For You, I Can Dance.

Toadette

Banned
man sonic adventure 1 vocal songs are full of energy helps me stay running in the gym

it doesnt matter & open your heart oh man :)

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm waiting for the day Mitsuyoshi gets roped in to do vocals for a Sonic song.

I guess his diction isn't English enough, though? :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ugh, if there's one DS regret I have, it's not picking up Feel the Magic XY/XX. I hear that game was cool. That song you linked sounds super-fun. I really want to find a copy of it somewhere.

I don't know if I can keep going through FFX. I'm pretty sure that when I was 16, I never thought, "God, this game is slow as fuck." But God, this game is slow. Some of the best art direction in the series and it looks fantastic, but I legitimately can't. I think I might move ahead to the better game for sure now.

I'm waiting for the day Mitsuyoshi gets roped in to do vocals for a Sonic song.

I guess his diction isn't English enough, though? :(
That doesn't stop other composers from using lyricists who don't have that great diction in video games. That can't be it. -_-

To be fair I didn't think Donkey Kong would be delayed back then. I also didn't think they would screw Lost World up like they did in the later levels/bosses. So basically Sonic Team gave me a big middle finger and after that I'm not buying Sonic games day one again. Here I thought they learned after Colors and Generations. Lost World went from good --> okay --> fuck this shit.

The only reason I still even keep it is because of the Yoshi DLC and whatever that other one might be.
Yoshi DLC isn't worth it unless you need it to rack up lives.

I don't even like DKC and I think DKCR2 is actually a decent game. And it's waaaaaaaaay better game and waaaay more cohesive than Lost World. Trade Lost World in for credit towards DKCR, imo, if you trade stuff in. You'll benefit anyway.

Dario ff

Banned
The thrilling conclusion to this saga of madness begins now. (Stream over, VOD)
81TvYDi.png
Great adventures await for you buddy.

Project Rub (a much better name than the silly Feel the Magic: XY/XX you guys got) was a pretty cool game. It probably benefited from there being pretty much nothing else on the DS at that point apart from the Mario 64 remake, but it used pretty much all of the new input styles well and distanced itself from WarioWare by having fewer minigames each with a bit more depth to them compared to a lot of smaller ones (man, you were really stuffed full of minigames at DS launch between PR, WW and the ones in SM64DS)

It really was the style that made it stand out, though. The silhouettes against sparse oranges for cutscenes and bold colours in games gives it a really unique look, the music ranged from laid back funky kinda stuff to driving up-tempo sounds but had a clear stylistic link through it all and the scenarios were just downright surreal at times.

I don't know how much it'd be worth actually playing now but in early 2005 it was rad as shit.

BHZ Mayor

Champion's Road. Good God. I don't remember the last time I was legitimately stuck in a video game, but here I am, at the
beat block
section. Stuck.

Champion's Road. Good God. I don't remember the last time I was legitimately stuck in a video game, but here I am, at the
beat block
section. Stuck.

Yeah, that part got me for awhile. Usually with these kinda action-style games, you can eventually just beat your head against the wall enough times until you find the door. Its not really a question of if, but when. With that part, you seriously have to figure that shit out, gotta do some buddhist monk zen level meditation shit, my nigga. "Alright, I'm gonna hit jump as soon as I land on that block, and that invisible block will be solid as soon as my feet hit the ground if I run for .45 seconds aw shit here we goFUCK"

For a second, I thought, "Holy shit, can I actually not have the ability to beat this level? Have I regressed to Professor Beef!?".

Razzer

Loving all the music on this page, great stuff.

Btw, I know there are speedrunning fans in here, I've been going through AGDQ and SGDQ runs and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations that are particularly memorable.

BHZ Mayor

Yeah, that part got me for awhile. Usually with these kinda action-style games, you can eventually just beat your head against the wall enough times until you find the door. Its not really a question of if, but when. With that part, you seriously have to figure that shit out, gotta do some buddhist monk zen level meditation shit, my nigga. "Alright, I'm gonna hit jump as soon as I land on that block, and that invisible block will be solid as soon as my feet hit the ground if I run for .45 seconds aw shit here we goFUCK"

For a second, I thought, "Holy shit, can I actually not have the ability to beat this level? Have I regressed to Professor Beef!?".

This is EXACTLY what's happening to me.

PKrockin

Those beat blocks are hell. The rest of the stage isn't even close in difficulty.

Btw, I know there are speedrunning fans in here, I've been going through AGDQ and SGDQ runs and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations that are particularly memorable.
I watched a fair amount of the last AGDQ and these were the highlights:

• F-Zero GX, Viewtiful Joe, and Super Monkey Ball are your "holy shit what is even happening" runs
  • Barkley: Shut Up and Jam is apparently an amazing trainwreck--I never got around to watching it
  • Prayer Warriors and Zoo Race are such awful games it's a sight to behold
  • Blindfolded Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out are incredible accomplishments, definitely a must-watch
  • Pokemon Soul Silver was a very good run and the runner's constant commentary explaining the run, his thought process, and plans made me feel like an expert on the run just from watching
  • Super Metroid was a fan favorite, a good race
  • Goldeneye is pretty nuts since it's two players controlling one character
As far as previous runs go Battletoads and Double Dragon with PJ and Mecha Richter is probably the hardest I've ever laughed at a speed run. PJ usually has really entertaining commentary.

Sciz

Champion's Road is ridiculous. Ridiculous. All it's missing is the creeping fuzzy wave to keep you from even having a moment's rest, but they're not quite that sadistic.

[*]Blindfolded Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out are incredible accomplishments, definitely a must-watch.

I'll second this one. Grandmasters at work.

Tizoc

If there's one thing Lost World did get right it was no vocal music. Please no more ever again.

Am I gonna have to flex my muscles on a fool?

FFX is slow, but I'm gonna finish it dammit.

You'd better, since you can get to one of the best games in the series.

Plus it's much faster in almost every way possible.
I'll always see FF9 as the slowest FF if only ebcause of its slow battles.

I actually wrote a couple of tumblr blogs about AGDQ 2014 highlights, but I'll distill them down:

MUST-WATCH
  • Power Shovel was the highlight of this year's "WTF Japan?!" block for me
  • CGN's F-Zero GX speedrun is completely bonkers. That man is almost a robot. Almost.
  • When they say "Viewtiful Joe Speedrun", they aren't kidding. Try to keep up if you can!
  • Zoo Race wins the Fever Dream Award for the Awful Games Done Quick block.
  • Pac-man 2's segment is less a speed run and more a showcase of how to make Pac-man's life completely miserable while somehow still stumbling across the finish line.
  • This isn't an official SDA upload, but you HAVE to watch all three hours of Trihex playing Yoshi's Island. That man is an egg ninja, and something special happens midway through the procedings.

ABOVE AVERAGE
  • This Halo 2 run isn't world-class or anything, but it's solid and informative.
  • This Sonic 2006 run actually manages to break the game and make it unfinishable, so that's something.
  • The Zelda LTTP race isn't quite as tense as the 4 way Super Metroid race, but still enjoyable.
  • Blink and you'll miss how quickly Quake and Duke Nukem 3D go by.
  • A Boy and His Blob was still probably the shortest game at the event, though (2 minutes!)
  • It may be worth watching Shinobi Legends just for the FMV cutscenes.
  • Ninja Five-O is just a game I really like, and this is a pretty good run.
  • Similarly, PEACHES___ has some fun with the original Typing of the Dead.
  • They ring up one of the developers of The Mask and he talks about making the game and how fast he wanted to make it play - and boy is it ever!

(whoops, that's not really distilled at all...)

BHZ Mayor

You know, sometimes, you just have to know when to fold 'em. Like, I'm almost at the point where I just have to accept that I won't ever see Champion's Road to the end. It's just a gauntlet of 'fuck yous'. I finally make it past the beat blocks, then one of the fire bars kill me at the Kamek section. I make it there again, and just barely get through that part. Luckily I have a spare fire flower at this point. I promptly lose that and barely make it through the next section. Then comes this spring section. No power ups. Small Mario. My heart is beating out of my chest at this point. I make it through there without much issue. Now I'm staring at the water block with giant spike structures. I gather up some courage and I go for it. Everything seems to be going fine. I'm descending to try to dodge the next spike structure, when somehow, in the middle of the water block, I fall as if I'm not in the water. What the fuck? I'm clearly in this water. How did I fall? Back to the beginning so I can run through this gauntlet of shit I can barely do through sheer luck? Fuck that. Fuck this level.

Sciz

What the heck, let's make this a miniseries.

Song: Akachan wa Doko Kara Kuru no? (Where Do Babies Come From?)
Game: The Rub Rabbits!
Composer: Naofumi Hataya
Lyrics: Takumi Yoshinaga

Vocals: Takenobu Mitsuyoshi
Chorus: The Rub Rabbits

Like hell was Mitsuyoshi sitting out the next round of this particular brand of madness. Like the game itself, it's peppier, poppier, and no less strange than its predecessor by any stretch of the imagination. Regrettably the DS audience wasn't quite so content starved by the time the sequel rolled around and that was the end of it, but like so many other Sonic Team titles, their themes have outlived them by making cameo appearances in other games like Rhythm Thief and PSU/PSO2.

Ohtani remixed this one too, but no one seems to have put it on Youtube. Or the other... hm. I may have to upload this stuff myself. You're failing me, internet.

Everything seems to be going fine. I'm descending to try to dodge the next spike structure, when somehow, in the middle of the water block, I fall as if I'm not in the water. What the fuck? I'm clearly in this water. How did I fall? Back to the beginning so I can run through this gauntlet of shit I can barely do through sheer luck? Fuck that. Fuck this level.

Probably popped out through the foreground. The good news is, you're nearly done!

Sciz

Wrapping up with one some of you may remember making the rounds a few years back:

Song: Theme of Kokoro Scan
Game: Kokoro Scan
Composer: Naofumi Hataya?
Lyrics: Takumi Yoshinaga?

Okay, there is zero solid information available about this (sort of) game. It was a Japan-only release that no one bought and there's no OST either (although they did produce a drama CD of all things), so the credits aren't anywhere to be found and I'm going off of guesswork and a bit of luck. It's definitely the next release from the Feel the Magic staff; there's a bit of shared visual style between it and those games, its 2007 release fits as their next project after Rub Rabbits, and, well, Rub Rabbits characters show up in the trailer.

I'm less certain about the composer, but it'd make sense for Hataya to keep working with the team, and frankly a six minute theme for emotion analysis software is straight up his alley. But that's a little sketchy, so here's an insubstantial conspiracy theory to go with it: Like I said last time, these themes are living on through other Sega products, and this one in particular slipped into maimai, an arcade rhythm game Sega's been producing in the last couple years (example: Space Harrier. There's also a Yuzo Koshiro rap arrangement of Fantasy Zone's final boss. I couldn't make this up if I tried.). There was a flurry of digital album releases last year collecting the game's music, and the last of them included Kokoro Scan at the end. The problem is, it's just credited to "SEGA", which is strange for something they should be able to attribute properly. But immediately preceding it is Burning Hearts from Burning Rangers, which absolutely is a Hataya track even if the album's crediting it to [H.], Sega's in-house band, presumably for arrangement. It's paper thin, but I'm inclined to think that they placed two Hataya tracks together, and then couldn't be arsed to credit him for either for whatever reason. I dunno. If anyone who actually understands Japanese can track down the credits, I'd really appreciate it.

Anyway, that's a lot of writing already and I haven't talked about the song or video any, but there's absolutely nothing I can say about either of those to add to how well they already speak for themselves. They represent the closing chapter of this wildly offbeat little saga, in any case. Sonic Team's produced nothing even remotely similar since, and the staff involved went to work on various Sonic and Puyo titles in the years thereafter, if they stayed with the company at all. In a broader sense, these games mark the end of Sonic Team's decade-long creative period as a developer of new IP, and while the Sonic games saw an immediate upturn in quality once they got all hands on deck to save the series, it came at the cost of the Burning Rangers, and the Sambas, and the Billy Hatchers, and even the Rub Rabbits. And that's a shame.

AniHawk

i can't remember the last time i schaudenfreuded so hard. this whole facebook/oculus thing is clouding my memory.

sonic the hedgehog.

BHZ Mayor

retro has done it again

it's not the worst wii u platformer. not while sonic lost world exists. however i find myself in a similar position to about 3.5 years ago when one of those two games at least had some interesting stuff going on.

It's strange, because I agree with just about all of this,

regarding the specific parts that i disliked- the jumping is still bad. i shouldn't have to guess if i'm going to super jump off an enemy. grabbing a vine still makes zero sense and is similarly bad design. the minigames to get puzzle pieces ensured i never did considering they were so repetitious (less is more, retro). levels are still mostly horizontal, despite introducing the one character that changed the level design in dkc2. really, having dixie kong and then making the levels progress similar to dkc and dkcr was like this game was directed by captain missing-the-point. i think that aspect couldn't be more clearly articulated than by having bramble scramble be a left-to-right shuffle to the finish (without even stickerbrush symphony in the background).

though the bounce was improved (but it's still dumb in the first place), but I still don't agree with your overall verdict, specifically where you state that nothing stands out and there was no passion. There was a lot of attention to detail. Grassland Grove, the tornado level, the jelly level, and the juice level were easy stand outs to me. Nothing exactly original there, but their execution was pretty memorable.

Sciz

i can't remember the last time i schaudenfreuded so hard. this whole facebook/oculus thing is clouding my memory.

sonic the hedgehog.

This whole backlash is certainly the biggest case of the internet being completely divorced from reality that I can remember in recent years. What they're talking about now is exactly in line with what they've been talking about doing.

AniHawk

This whole backlash is certainly the biggest case of the internet being completely divorced from reality that I can remember in recent years. What they're talking about now is exactly in line with what they've been talking about doing.

i really don't see a whole lot of negative consequences for it. yeah it sucks that oculus wouldn't be an actual vr company to lead the way for new technology, but facebook could at least give it the backing to make it a sure thing.

separated from that is this selfish attitude of how they perceived this thing was theirs and no one else's. it really reminds me of the popularity of the wii or mobile gaming and how non gamers are ruining the world.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I really want to see the rationale behind people thinking why this is a -bad- thing. I actually think it's a good investment for both companies. And if it pushes VR/OR to be the thing that Azure Dream was talking about the other day, then that's fine. More people experiencing it would make the entire experience better for everyone. Why not?

Also, I agree that the jumping in DKCTF is still bad. I mean, I think that's a DKC series staple. The music's alright. Yeah, I said it.

I still haven't finished the whole thing, though. I stopped before World 4's boss, which I heard was butts of extreme proportions.

Razzer

Good to see that this thread is as rational as ever amongst the storm of controversy on gaming side. I agree, this seems like a neutral outcome at worst. We'll see.

PKrockin

I think people are concerned about privacy, forced social network integration, and/or advertising. I don't feel strongly about it since I haven't followed Oculus at all, but I understand their fear.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think people are concerned about privacy, forced social network integration, and/or advertising. I don't feel strongly about it since I haven't followed Oculus at all, but I understand their fear.
If people are that worried, much like how you would for PSN (and I think Noi's done this for sharing stuff on PS4), you'd probably make a dummy account associated with a random gmail address. That's what I'd do, anyway.

I dunno. I got Facebook back when it was college/university-only. I don't use it much anymore. I've certainly had my issues with privacy, but you can do so much to make sure that people don't find you or read certain statuses by grouping. It's not a perfect solution, but there are other alternatives to this. Having used both platforms, I feel like Facebook is better at filtering content than Twitter even is. You can filter content on a per-story basis, even via grouping. You can still be friends with someone, but turn their content off on your feed. The only issue that I see with Facebook's privacy settings is that if you're not linked to a network like a university network and can just restrict name searches to that network, unless you change your name or URL, people will search you. It's just up to you to approve their friend request. I make most of my profile incredibly restricted to those who aren't friends with me so they barely see a thing. And you'd have to put up with fb changing how they work privacy sometimes. It's not as bad as it was when they opened the site up to people who -aren't- in university/college, though. I'll say that. That's when the site made tons of changes and it was hard to keep up.

But what I was thinking was that OR gets extra funding and investment for the tech to make it better. Facebook invests in something that can make VR something that's not exclusive to video games if they choose to even do so. I... kinda like it. I dunno. Maybe it's because most of my friends don't live in the region anymore, or some of them live in completely different countries (and the only way I keep in touch with them a little is via FB or e-mail anyway), but the prospect of enhancing VR to make it a social experience is kinda neat.

Oculus Rift seems to be neat tech, but only making it limited to a smaller audience would probably not allow it to be enhanced enough to gain a wider audience because of the stuff it could potentially do. Just making it limited would only serve the needs of that smaller audience and not much else. And clearly their intent for it is more than games. Facebook's a mature company who fucked up when it came to mobile pursuits. So why not invest in something that's the new thing? People use Facebook for chatting, so OR could be used for that.

*shrug* I still see it as a win-win investment. I feel like a lot of the issues people have with respect to privacy and content might come from those who quit the social network a long time ago, or people who plain don't use it and have heard 'stories'.

Dario ff

Banned
Yeah, I really want to see the rationale behind people thinking why this is a -bad- thing. I actually think it's a good investment for both companies. And if it pushes VR/OR to be the thing that Azure Dream was talking about the other day, then that's fine. More people experiencing it would make the entire experience better for everyone. Why not?
I've posted my thoughts on it here. That's one of my main reasons. The other one is just that I don't want to buy anything from Facebook and contribute to their potential marketshare. I'd rather a competitor that focuses on the hardware succeed.

I'm also sure the thing would've expanded on its own potentially if the product was awesome enough. This seems too early and too much money to invest on a product that has yet to be released.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've posted my thoughts on it here. That's one of my main reasons. The other one is just that I don't want to buy anything from Facebook and contribute to their potential marketshare.
Ah, I see. Well, forgive me for my previous assumption. That actually happened a few years ago back when I was in undergrad and FB was limited to just uni/college students. But this was a combination of Farmville and Facebook. I guess I'm at a point where I don't care as much and don't frequent the site as much unless I know someone's hit me up for a message. Heck, even when I was in high school and kids were on Gaia or whatever it was called, and MySpace, people felt that way--it was actually the beginning of cyberbullying since on MSN, you knew who was talking to you most of the time.

Cyberbullying and anxiety with respect to the Internet and social networking in general is a very real fear and is actually an emerging public health issue, so in that case, yeah, I don't blame anyone for having that fear about OR/FB at all.

I'm also sure the thing would've expanded on its own potentially if the product was awesome enough. This seems too early and too much money to invest on a product that has yet to be released.
I think they're feeling burned from losing out on Snapchat and completely flubbing gaming and mobile gaming before, so I guess they thought that this is the next big thing.

I think the best idea to keep in mind is that time will only tell what will happen.

Top Bottom