• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

BlackJace

I think many of the moans were from the worry that now OR's technological scope will be scaled back.
Dudes were salivating over using it with their beefy PC rigs. I don't have a supercomputer, but I admit that I was disappointed that they might not be able to achieve that "dream" quite yet

PKrockin

I guess people are disappointed by the news for a variety of reasons. For me it's fear of data mining and targeted ads which I loathe. Who knows what will actually happen though.

Oculus Rift seems to be neat tech, but only making it limited to a smaller audience would probably not allow it to be enhanced enough to gain a wider audience because of the stuff it could potentially do. Just making it limited would only serve the needs of that smaller audience and not much else. And clearly their intent for it is more than games. Facebook's a mature company who fucked up when it came to mobile pursuits. So why not invest in something that's the new thing? People use Facebook for chatting, so OR could be used for that.
Like I said, I haven't followed OR at all so I'm speaking out of my ass, but if the kickstarter was originally intended to focus on gaming applications of the tech, I imagine the people who poured their cold hard cash into the project could be pretty pissed off at a shift to video chat or other non-gaming applications. Even if it ends up being good for it in the long run, it's not what they were promised.

AniHawk

i think vr necessitates high end tech simply because that's the promise. you want it to feel/look as real as possible. i don't think facebook will mass-produce the original 480p oculus into stores (which, and i think anyone who's ever used it can attest to this, was garbage).

FSLink

Banned
I do agree with some other topics about it that Facebook is probably one of the better big companies to acquire it. I can't see VR taking off anytime soon outside of a small niche if it were bought up by Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc.

I think it's way too early to start freaking out about Facebook wanting to put Virtual ads up in your face while playing Skyrim or Mirror's Edge, but regardless if it turns that way or not, it should be interesting to see how the competitors try to match up the Oculus now. I expect Facebook to make their own VR Facebook as well, which definitely has some interesting applications...like a mass appeal VR Second Life or something haha.

Anth0ny

I'm so happy I don't care about VR right now.

I might have been outraged by this news.

As it stands, I don't really understand it, nor do I care.

Trying Lost World again what with the DLC update tomorrow, got stuck on Winter Factory Zone 2 waaay back when I got this day 1, annoyed me so much that I gave up and didn't bother playing Lost World for months after bar an aborted attempt to pass the level again.

Adding back the 100 rings = 1 life thing really makes Lost World a bit more bearable. It also seems to run a lot better than it did at launch. I recall the NiGHT's level being kinda choppy, but now everything seems to run pretty smooth.

Finally passed it tonight, only for a terrible pinball level to follow, oh well. Made it to silent forest. Progress!

I had my flip-out about Facebook and Oculus. There's been enough arguments and discussion to make it seem like this may be okay. Basically, that most of the other companies would've wanted to gut Oculus and embed them into their own products, while Facebook is (currently) content on Oculus forging ahead as they were, with the smart people that made it what it is before the buyout. Basically, I've gone from "Unbridled Enthusiasm" to "Glaring Warily, Mouthing 'Don't Fuck This Up'". VR is the future, I'm just scared to death that Facebook is going to knock out the bridge on the way there, and set everything back another decade or two.

Unrelated, but while posting this, it occurred to me. Thematically (not speaking of game quality), if Shadow's game had instead been starring Nack/Fang, would people have been more okay with that? Slower character, uses guns, already rides vehicles, would more correctly fit in the "Could go any way, Hero, Dark, or Neutral" position as a mercenary... It seems like it would've been a much better character to be in that role.

Of course, it would've removed the BS "You're part of the Black Arms" storyline, the storyline ties to SA2 and Heroes, it was supposed to be a spin-off game because Shadow was a popular character, and there may have been rights concerns (or even just professional courtesy) regarding Nack by that point, since the creator left...

Still, though, you have to wonder.

PKrockin

So for those that played it, how would you guys & gals rate the Ys games?
I've only played Ys 7 but I can definitely recommend them. Good controls, fun boss fights, kickass music, decent challenge, it hits all the right notes to be a great action game. My only complaint is the cutscenes tend to go on a bit long but apparently that's a problem with Ys 7 in particular. I've been meaning to get around to Oath in Felghana myself since the removal of the party member system and upping the difficulty a little sounds like something I'd like.

Tizoc

You can skip cutscenes by hold the O button to fast forward them.
Oath is a totally different beast of a game. I dunno if I'd say it's hard as I beat it on Normal, but the bosses were challenging and well thought out IMO.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I like the PCE ones a lot, but that's because I love the music in the PCE versions a lot. I played the Master System games first, then the SNES/SFC games, then the NES/FC versions, and I sporadically played several other versions of Ys games from most of the systems they were released on. A lot of games really tried to use the Ys formula after it was released in 1987. It's one of the more important computer-based RPGs in history, so it's good that people are getting into it now. It focused a lot on player precision despite fighting enemies at an angle vs head-on.

The PC-xx01 versions of the game/X68000 versions of the game are a little more difficult with respect to hitting enemies, while the console versions of the game (and later PC versions) are a little more lenient with respect to hitboxes. But what I like about the games is that they respect your time. They don't bs you while letting you explore around the areas adequately while being completely straightforward.

Ys 1/2 were top-down. Ys 3 SFC/FC shifted the perspective to being a side-view (think Zelda II). Ys 4 (both versions) went back to top-down. Ys 5 gave Adol a jump and attack buttons which was a surprise. Ys 6 was the first 3D entry, and Ys 7/Celceta brought parties into the mix.

Overall, I'd recommend Felghana and Origin to newcomers since they're much easier to get into than the original games that I played, and they feel much tighter. If you're going to play 1 or 2, I'd go with the PC version of it. If you play Ys 6 and want to play the localized version of it, go with the PS2 version over the PSP version unless you get access to the PC version. The PS2 version has extras. The PSP and PC versions don't. The PC version looks better, though; and there's a fan-translation for it out there.

Never play Ys 1/2 DS. That version sucks ass and is the worst version of 1/2 that I've ever played. Ys Strategy, the JP/EU-only RTS Ys game for DS, is pretty bad, too.

With respect to Ys 5, that's Japan-only, and if you actually want a challenge for it, I'd go for the Expert version than the vanilla SFC version.

I don't like the formula that Ys 7 and Ys Celceta followed, really. Not what I look for in Ys at all. But a lot of people love those games, so maybe it's just me being old. Like, I like Nayuta no Kiseki because you know what you're getting into: a hybrid of Ys and the Kiseki games so you expect more narrative and two characters to use in battle who play dramatically different from each other... but you have platforming and Ys 7 took out a lot of the platforming and more difficulty and added more story than I liked. The games were never really known for having an elaborate story and focused on the ARPG elements first and foremost, so them starting to have more story is a little awkward for me, having played them longer. Ys Celceta was... a very weird version Ys 4. Ys 4 is in this weird, awkward position where there are multiple versions of it, but at the same time Celceta felt very much like Ys 4 in-name only.

But the long and short of it is to play Origin/Felghana, preferably on PC.

Village

I went on giant bombs site, they had the sonic zelda feature, a lot of disdain from the people involved. I wont defend sonic lost world in any fashion , but it was still kind of disheartening . Like damn son , no one is feeling sanic zelda

Tizoc

Nice write-up Schala, tho no offense, but I'm gonna go with what you said about 'being old' regarding Celcta and Seven ;P
Far as Seven goes, I enjoyed what I played of it and I like that a game in a series is different than its predecessors, and in the case of Seven it offered a fun experience even though I felt the team mechanics could've been better.

SonicGAF4: Sons of DIMPS

Old Schala: I'm no princess. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old player, hired to grind some shit JRPGs for trophies.

Tizoc

Speaking of Trophies...as much as I like the bling sound...I haven't touched my PS3 since LoS2, didn't bother with much of my backlog on PS3, just playing on my lappy for them playfire rewards+dat 60 FPS.
Also LoL.

After downloading and playing the Zelda themed level in Sonic Lost Worlds today (which is pretty cool, if only for the fact that it's a zelda themed Sonic level that a younger version of myself would have had a heart attack if he saw) I tried to continue pushing through Lost Worlds.

I can't. I just can't. It might be the worst Sonic game since Black Knight and 06. Unleashed at least had redeeming qualities that we could point to and say "well, at least the Sonic levels are fun!". This game is just all disappointment. So many dumb decisions.

After downloading and playing the Zelda themed level in Sonic Lost Worlds today (which is pretty cool, if only for the fact that it's a zelda themed Sonic level that a younger version of myself would have had a heart attack if he saw) I tried to continue pushing through Lost Worlds.

I can't. I just can't. It might be the worst Sonic game since Black Knight and 06. Unleashed at least had redeeming qualities that we could point to and say "well, at least the Sonic levels are fun!". This game is just all disappointment. So many dumb decisions.

No you're wrong it's just a hard game and you aren't being good enough so just play better okay

*twitch*

The Zelda Zone is kind of a neat playfield at first but once you've run around it a bit and gotten over the whole "wow, Zelda stuff! Hey, areas you can go to just to collect trinkets and stuff!" you realise it's pretty flat with not a lot to it. A couple of ramps and some slopey terrain might've made it more fun for Sonic to run around in.

The wide open area really highlights how dicky Lost World Sonic's turning/horizontal movement is, too.

I dunno, aside from those WTF-inducing air breeze stages (you jump to... descend? O...kay...), I thought the game's biggest issues were control-related. I never really felt like I had total control of Sonic, especially when in the air, where I couldn't quickly and easily change directions. I always forgot I had parkour, and the few times I remembered I had it, it always found some way to confound me - be it not going as high up a wall as I'd like, going up a wall when I didn't WANT to go up a wall, or the general vagueness behind changing directions when parkouring or being absolutely sure you're going to parkour at the angle you want to (say, doing a horizontal parkour around corners like the game dares you to do at some points, or moving left/right during a vertical parkour - I know both of these are possible, but never knew how to myself).

No you're wrong it's just a hard game and you aren't being good enough so just play better okay

*twitch*

Demon Souls and Mega Man 1 are hard games. This is a mess of a game that does a lot of things to try to improve gameplay, but not enough of them correctly.

To be fair, I am much harder on this game that I was on Black Knight, Sonic 06, or even Unleashed because of the fact that Sega had a perfectly good formula in the past two games. It's the Sonic Heroes dilemma: Get too ambitious and the gameplay suffers for it. Like Heroes before it, there is no reason why Lost Worlds is as mediocre as it is, especially given what preceded it.

Lost World looking nice is debatable, I think. I mean, I dunno, I guess it doesn't look bad. It's very clean. Runs very smoothly. But I can't help but remember...

yN9Uigr.png

X8QndwG.jpg

The man responsible or The Hedgehog Engine works at Square-Enix now, doing their next-gen Final Fantasy tech (Luminose Engine) and I can't help but think that since his departure, Sonic Team has really begun to regress in terms of visual fidelity.

Even Sonic Colors looks more visually complex than Lost World.

ZSHUZyd.jpg

There's something to be said for nailing an aesthetic (TF2 doesn't need to look like Battlefield 4, for example), but the jump from Unleashed/Colors/Generations to Lost World feels less like a change in aesthetic because all the characters still look the same. So instead it's just "let's use a bunch of flat textures and vastly simplify the lighting engine because then we don't have to work as hard"

Tizoc

Damn yeah now that I think about it, Colors and Unleashed on PS360 had great visuals.

I should try out Colors on Dolphin someday. Wish Unleashed was on Steam/PC, but I'm too lazy to buy Sonic Generations =_=

Anyone read the latest Sonic Universe issue?
"FOR SCIENCE!"

Lost World's visuals are one of the few things I think it got right, for me it was great to see a stylised look reminiscent of areas from the earlier games. I wouldn't want this style approach all the time but as someone who finds seeing Sonic running through areas based upon real world locations a touch odd (no matter how great it looks in Unleashed, because it is really nice) I'd been waiting for something more in the vein of classic Sonic style locations and despite the touch of bareness that comes with the Mario style floating landscapes it did a good job of calling back right down to the enemies as well.
Solid frame rate was much appreciated, my console experience of Generations was far from smooth and I'd take a drop in visual fidelity for the smoother gameplay.

Colours was a nice sweet spot for me bringing in detailed environments with imaginative settings so continuing up that path could be a nice compromise between styles.

But Owl, you were the Lightning in that saga.
I can still grind through the darkness!

PKrockin

I carefully chose the word "nice" to describe it. It's not anything jaw dropping but the IQ is good and the framerate is solid 60fps. Secret Rings is drab, muddy, and 30fps.

I should also mention that while those screenshots look great, the previous three games also run at 30fps, with drops in Unleashed and Generations, and a heaping helping of motion blur to obfuscate it. Sonic sez that's no good.

Village

Lost world looks nice, I think a lot of sonic games look nice for their time. Very colorful I like it.

But that game, that game is like the man of steel for me group of people. The more you actually think about that game the more "why.... all of this, why did you do, all of it sonic team "

Sonic games to tend to look purdy.

I remember Adventure being impressive back in the day.

Really? I remember thinking for its time Sonic Adventure looked rather ugly. It bugged me that characters didn't have individual fingers, when there were totally PS1 games that did.

SA1 was always a bit Mario 64 looking in the sense that you could tell it was their first time doing a lot of that stuff, so it ended up functional but kind of homely. (Of course, whether it's nostalgia or whatever, I've come around on that game. I prefer its visuals to SADX by a long shot.)

Sonic Adventure 2, though. Now there's a game that was drop-dead gorgeous when it was unveiled. Not only does it look visually superior to SA1 (fingers!), but it runs at TWICE the framerate??? Holy shit!

None of the other Sonic games past that until Unleashed ever looked really very good to me, though.

BlackJace

Really? I remember thinking for its time Sonic Adventure looked rather ugly. It bugged me that characters didn't have individual fingers, when there were totally PS1 games that did.

SA1 was always a bit Mario 64 looking in the sense that you could tell it was their first time doing a lot of that stuff, so it ended up functional but kind of homely. (Of course, whether it's nostalgia or whatever, I've come around on that game. I prefer its visuals to SADX by a long shot.)

Sonic Adventure 2, though. Now there's a game that was drop-dead gorgeous when it was unveiled. Not only does it look visually superior to SA1 (fingers!), but it runs at TWICE the framerate??? Holy shit!

None of the other Sonic games past that until Unleashed ever looked really very good to me, though.

Maybe it was just me and my circle of nerds. SADX outclasses OG Adventure in every way, but I remember being pretty darn impressed with OG Adventure. Same with OG Adventure 2.

Even today, as hard as it is to play SADX, I still feel like the game's visuals aren't half bad.

Also, going back as far as the Genesis games, I thought they were "good looking" in the sense of how vibrant and complex some stages looked. Some of the backgrounds in 3 and CD were particularly awesome to look at.

Tizoc

What PSX games had models that had fingers?
FF9 for example didn't have fingers for the character's models.

I think at the time I thought Crash Bandicoot did. And to be fair, Naughty Dog did a great job giving that impression. It's only now via emulators that you can actually tell:

N2exDqR.jpg

Psxphile

Tekken 3. But only in the attract embu. Regular gameplay models were all closed fists or, in the case of certain character animations like Eddy Gordo's, open palms w/ fingers sewn together.

Nah, finger tech wasn't a regular thing until at least PS2 (PC probably did it before that too).

Psxphile

Money well spent. :p

I feel like SA2 also managed some individual finger modeling and animations. And did it at 60fps (most of the time).

Tizoc

Oh yeah, Crash's thumb heh, but I'm pretty sure his other fingers were 'locked' together.

like what psxphile said, fingers became more appearing in games by the PS2 era.

Also why can't this be the way you can rock with Magikarp in Pokemon?
2010-04-26.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I take it that everyone's been busy, haven't they? :V

I've have finals to study for and papers to do, so I'm up to my ears in work. That, and I guess folks are busy with March video games.

Regiruler

Nah, I've been goofing off hard. I just forgot the thread existed.

Finally collected all of LW's red rings. Now to get a time trial ranking for every course (or complete all the missions).
God I love Sky Road Zone 2. The way it scales to the speed you play it at is such great level design IMO.

I don't really think there would be any disagreement if I called it the best level in the game, bar maybe windy hill zones 1 & 2.

PKrockin

I've have finals to study for and papers to do, so I'm up to my ears in work. That, and I guess folks are busy with March video games.
Not really, there just hasn't been much on GAF I feel like chiming in on lately. I've been hanging around the IRC a lot.

I'm not sure if the current position i'm in counts as busy, I mean it's work (apparently) but really it just has me here on Gaf for most of my day, though like PK there ain't much I've felt like commenting on.
Not even Lost World's DLC has sparked much Sonic discussion in here, but I can tell you the that out of the two cross overs I've played in the last week Sonic/Link was vastly inferior to Wright/Layton.

Nah, I've been goofing off hard. I just forgot the thread existed.

Finally collected all of LW's red rings. Now to get a time trial ranking for every course (or complete all the missions).
God I love Sky Road Zone 2. The way it scales to the speed you play it at is such great level design IMO.

I don't really think there would be any disagreement if I called it the best level in the game, bar maybe windy hill zones 1 & 2.

The start is pretty cheesy on your first go, if you're going to introduce a mechanic where robo dragon roars and certain platforms inexplicably break there are better ways of doing it than over a bottomless pit, in fact the platforms that do first break are also covered in rings like the game wants you to learn the hard way.

Otherwise outside of that it's one of my favourite stages in the game up until the boss of homing attack inconsistency, stage has some solid 2D platforming and keeps you moving.

BlackJace

Sort of. School's coming to an end soon, so things have to be tidied up before I can really goof off.

Top Bottom