• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

These threads/articles are a pretty common occurrence nowadays. You either get used to it or it nags you to distraction. Most of us who are past that phase would rather just pretend they don't exist when not actively seeking out and posting in them just because. >:C

If you ignore it and don't add your input, all anyone reading those threads gets is "Sonic the Toilet". That just makes it worse.

I know we joke about this being a separate little forum, but this thread is still a part of NeoGAF, and is affected by it.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
That article tries to pass its opinion as fact. At least that's how I read it.

The classic Sonic games still hold up and they always will, that's why there called classics. They're an important part of video game history, whether you like it or not.

Hell Sonic 1 by itself is better designed than most 2D platformers released nowadays.

BHZ Mayor

If you ignore it and don't add your input, all anyone reading those threads gets is "Sonic the Toilet". That just makes it worse.

I know we joke about this being a separate little forum, but this thread is still a part of NeoGAF, and is affected by it.

If you don't ignore it and add your input, you're still going to just get "Sonic the Toilet," hence those threads still being a thing, and the jokes about Community being separate. Hell, that's why this thread even exists in the first place, so we don't have to deal with that crap.

I'M FREE SUCKAS

Now time to go back and see how many of you guys missed me oh wait you didn't ok then I'll just leave again bye.

EDIT: I've been back two minutes and I hate almost everything I've seen.

I'M FREE SUCKAS

J6dg2d2.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sooooooooooo, aside from prob. Schalla, anyone else playing Prof. Layton vs. Phoenix Wright?
I don't have a European 3DS and didn't pick the Japanese version up, so I haven't played it yet.

I know that OMG Aero's playing it, at least.

Welp, here goes the GAF "shit on Sonic" parade, I guess. Time to drag out all that fan art you've been saving up! You know, the ones you post in any vaguely Sonic topic anyway.

Nevermind the fact that whoever wrote that article made the most fucking stupid assumptions I've seen in a professional article in quite some time. It literally tries to revise history to make the classic Genesis games bad because of "invisible pixels" and the fucking sound effects. It calls Sonic irrelevant when Amazon featured the series front-and-center just two days ago, not to mention Nintendo's obviously happy enough to lend them their highly-guarded Yoshi and Legend of Zelda series for Lost World. I'm sure they would've done the same for a new Croc game, right?

It's so god damn facepalm-worthy, and yet it's getting completely ignored because "Let's post the shitty DeviantArt LOLOLO!" And I know that's partially what the article is supposed to be about, but it bases its argument on something that's, again, really fucking stupid.

Edit: Not completely ignored, but it's mostly the same batch of people I've seen defending Sonic before, and obviously anyone with a Sonic avatar isn't going to be taken seriously. I'm counting the minutes until "lol pony avatar" for my own post, as if that somehow discredits it.
A friend of mine, who lurks GAF, was telling me yesterday that it's generally the same people and/or who aren't Sonic fans that end up turning the Sonic threads into what we know them for. Blaze told me that it was remarkably worse than it is now a few years ago. It's still incredibly irksome to me that GAF still hasn't gotten past this, even if Sonic was actually discussed positively between 2010 and 2012. I mean, you all saw it after Sonic Generations and people were actually complimenting the game for the most part. Even the most jaded of Sonic fans on this forum complimented it right down to Mama Robotnik.

In my case, there's so much that I can say or do in a few threads that it's starting to feel pointless because the peanut gallery has gotten much larger in the past few years and these threads seem to be originating with more frequency. It kind of extends back to the point last year where I felt that half the time, I was copy/pasting or linking my older posts because the same topics were being brought up ad nauseam on this forum.

So, I disagree that it's something that we shouldn't talk about in here because this is the Sonic community thread, and these threads never used to pop-up with such frequency before. It used to be once in a while, but the commentary on one fraction of the Sonic fandom But at the same time, I really dislike drawing the distinction between community and "lol gaming side" because the community forum is still part of the forum proper. It obviously still bothers some of us, so people can air out their frustration here if they'd like. We've done that before, and people will still--by all means--do so.

I think it's stupid. Other series are prone to the same kind of garbage and have their own fringe weird part of the fandom. Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, Yoshi, Mario, DK, whatever. You name it, it has its own stupid side of the fandom. Sonic just gets scrutinized more because it had a fairly lengthy period where a lot of the games were bad or mediocre. I think it's BS that almost every Sonic thread on gaming gets sidetracked by crumb-bums who either don't care about the series posting dumb fanart in a thread where--more likely than not--is focused on a game or another development. Remember when Worlds Collide got announced and people were disappointed in the crossover because they didn't want Mega Man subjected to anything relating to Sonic at all?

So, yeah, I'm sick of it too. I don't like concentrating on the "lol gaming side" part of things because we've tried not to do that because this thread is part of GAF as a whole, but given the frequency of Sonic threads and how they seem to go lately, I don't think it's a bad idea to air out frustration regarding them here.

Getting down to the crux of it, that article kinda sucks. Especially the bit about "the Sonic games were never good!" The older Sonic games can still be considered really good depending on your taste and people still have fun playing them. Sonic still sells copies, and kids still really like it the series. You can't say that Sonic was never popular when we had Generations a few years ago that people--even on this very forum who didn't care for the series in recent years--bought because it encapsulated even part of the history of the series that people almost universally liked. From what I can recall, the OT had positive impressions from most folks, and the LTTP threads or even this thread had folks arguing that the game was actually good. And half of the arguments for the game came from the fact that the game included older levels.

Obviously, there are going to be folks who don't like the Genesis Sonic games at all and that's just based on taste. Not everyone's going to like the same thing. It's just like me and Donkey Kong Country or FF4.

Older Sonic games had great level design that facilitated Sonic's moveset (even his powerups in Sonic 3), wonderful art design with lots of colours strewn throughout, and music that took lots of nods from popular music (heck when I was listening to the 1980s/1990s dance hour on the radio the other day, I was moreso reminded of Sonic's sound than anything, and I always thought Sonic's sound design was a great thing). Sure Sonic CD had Wacky Workbench, but Sonic CD does some neat stuff in terms of breadth and depth of having several maps available to one zone, like it or hate it.

That's what the media sees all the time. They never had their "No, actually, Sonic 2's still a good game!" recovery moment. It's just bad Sonic games, everywhere, all the time, forever, and they're never going to go back and try to enjoy Sonic 2 again, because why would they? There's no time. Gotta look forward, not backward. Got articles to write, cons to attend, and new games are always piling up faster than you can play them.

And the peanut gallery? They're just there to throw popcorn at the stage.
Yup. That's also part of it. It didn't help that Lost World had mixed reviews as opposed to the "oh wow, this Sonic game is actually... good...!" reviews that Colours and Generations seemed to have. There just isn't that much time to cover older games unless your site or magazine covers retro games often, and game conference commitments seem to come more often these days. Even in the summer lull, you still have lots of stuff to do because of E3, PAX, Gamescom, etc.

I'M FREE SUCKAS

Now time to go back and see how many of you guys missed me oh wait you didn't ok then I'll just leave again bye.

lol. It's because we knew you requested the ban before. :p

I posted it in the other thread, but still...

30 fucking minutes for a single werehog level

seriously, that's half of a fucking hour

that's a whole tv show

that's dinner at a restaurant

you could beat SMB3 nearly twice in that amount of time

you could put your copy of dmc4 in your ps3 and install that bitch and still be done before the werehog level ends

PKrockin

I suppose you could beat SMB3 in less than 30 minutes with warps but that's like one and a half worlds out of eight. The individual levels were short but it was a meaty game.

BlackJace

I freaking forgot Ace Attorney vs Prof. Layton came out.

What kind of AA fan am I....

I'M FREE SUCKAS

Welcome back.

BHZ Mayor

that's a whole tv show

you could put your copy of dmc4 in your ps3 and install that bitch and still be done before the werehog level ends

And you could beat Ground Zeroes three times. :p

that's a whole tv show

To be sort of fair, the levels are actually a lot shorter than they look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZh5RF98Omo

If you ever played PSO, it's like that one Hunter's Guild quest (Towards the Future, I think?) where you run through a bunch of rooms and you're timed on how quickly you get to the end. In those cases, there was always one specific enemy that was tied to that room's door opening, and if you knew which specific ones you had to kill, you could blitz to the end in a couple minutes.

The same seems to apply to Werehog levels. They put lots of shit in your way, but you don't always have to interact with all of it - it just feels like you do. Most Werehog levels are, in actuality, under 10 minutes.

Of course, that's no excuse because the game does nothing to encourage or explain this mechanic.

Coldman suggested that Monster World is the secret best Sega series, and I wouldn't disagree outside of OG Phantasy Star.

I bought Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection again (due to its outright disturbing absence on PSN) just to play Phantasy Star IV again.

Other games I'm playing are Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA FFFFFFFFFF, Raidou Koochihoha vs. the Demon's Soulless Army, Luftwowsers, and Raymun Legends.

I also saw Ernest and Celestine. Go and watch it. Seriously. Like, fucking now.

OMG Aero

Sooooooooooo, aside from prob. Schalla, anyone else playing Prof. Layton vs. Phoenix Wright? Really enjoying it but the graphics or rather the animation of some of the character models pale in comparison to AA5.

Everytime the ! pops up when I click on an object or person just has me think out 'Of course there was a puzzle there'.
I've been playing it but I haven't made much progress because there are so many other games out, I'm still working my way through Dark Souls 2 and I just got the latest game from Sega featuring their most popular character.
I'm at the beginning of the chapter right after the first witch trial (I think it's chapter 3?) and I'm really enjoying it so far. The announcement of Layton Vs Wright was actually the thing to make me think "okay I have to get a 3DS at some point now" and is what got me to start playing the Layton series in the first place since at that point I had only played Ace Attorney so finally playing this game feels like a weird culmination of playing through those six games.
The Layton sections are classic Layton gameplay which is great, but they really added a lot to the Phoenix Wright gameplay with the multiple witnesses and the ability to question them about each other's statements. The best part of the game has to be all the character interactions though like seeing Luke and Maya have their own apprentice adventures and having Layton stand beside Phoenix in court and give him advice like Mia did (in the one trial I did so far it seemed like Layton worked the whole thing out at the beginning and just drip fed Phoenix hints which was pretty funny).
As for the models, the difference between AA5 Phoenix and the Phoenix in this game has already been mentioned before but the difference between Layton models actually took me by surprise too.
2FCfRFz.jpg
jl5ggpc.jpg

Looking at them side to side it doesn't look like there's much difference besides the zooming out but they clearly changed the model to fit with the Ace Attorney style and that took me a bit to get used to.

And to close off this big ol' pile of words I think my favourite little thing about the game is how it uses the sound effects of both series, like when you save the game it will either use the save sound effect from Professor Layton or Ace Attorney depending on who you are playing as, and for the non-voiced lines the text sound effect is appropriate to the character too.

that's a whole tv show

Yo man that's nothing, what about Eggmanland which can take from 40 minutes to an hour on your first run.
i unironically like how long that level is

Falk

that puzzling face
I ran out of lives (from 30) the first time I got to Eggmanland I thought it was the best thing ever.

Tizoc

Listned to World 1-2 on the way to work, some nice tunes in there but I skipped the music from games I haven't played like the Zelda ones.
Should give the Fire Emblem one a listen though.
I don't think I'll ever get into Fire Emblem, I care too much about my units and wanting to have them equally leveled to progress far into one =/

I thought it was pretty stellar, it's good as a Layton game and good as a Wright game, not the best for either series but it does a nice job of bringing the two series together.
I didn't expect the combo of Wright and Layton to fill me with fanboyish glee but it really did, two of my favourite video game characters right there.

Soundtrack is also pretty swish, some neat remixes and great new stuff, I mean you've got medieval takes on Ace Attorney courtroom music tropes as well as obligatory Layton accordion.

I'm actually at the final chapter(s) of the game, overall it was a fun ride but the non-Court parts just seemed longer than they should be to me, but I really like the puzzles so far as many of them are fun.
Soundtrack is indeed great, and while I did see some 'plot twists' coming a mile away (this being a Layton game too), it didn't deter me from enjoying it and have it be a GotY nominee for me.

I've been playing it but I haven't made much progress because there are so many other games out, I'm still working my way through Dark Souls 2 and I just got the latest game from Sega featuring their most popular character.
I'm at the beginning of the chapter right after the first witch trial (I think it's chapter 3?) and I'm really enjoying it so far. The announcement of Layton Vs Wright was actually the thing to make me think "okay I have to get a 3DS at some point now" and is what got me to start playing the Layton series in the first place since at that point I had only played Ace Attorney so finally playing this game feels like a weird culmination of playing through those six games.
The Layton sections are classic Layton gameplay which is great, but they really added a lot to the Phoenix Wright gameplay with the multiple witnesses and the ability to question them about each other's statements. The best part of the game has to be all the character interactions though like seeing Luke and Maya have their own apprentice adventures and having Layton stand beside Phoenix in court and give him advice like Mia did (in the one trial I did so far it seemed like Layton worked the whole thing out at the beginning and just drip fed Phoenix hints which was pretty funny).
As for the models, the difference between AA5 Phoenix and the Phoenix in this game has already been mentioned before but the difference between Layton models actually took me by surprise too.
2FCfRFz.jpg
jl5ggpc.jpg

Looking at them side to side it doesn't look like there's much difference besides the zooming out but they clearly changed the model to fit with the Ace Attorney style and that took me a bit to get used to.

And to close off this big ol' pile of words I think my favourite little thing about the game is how it uses the sound effects of both series, like when you save the game it will either use the save sound effect from Professor Layton or Ace Attorney depending on who you are playing as, and for the non-voiced lines the text sound effect is appropriate to the character too.

Hmm I dunno Layton's model seems the same as his previous games if he ever been remodeled in 3D, but this game proves how good Capcom are with using the 3DS hardware.

Some interesting pointers too, and yeah the Witness Testominy method used in this game is wicked good and I hope to see it considered in a future AA game.

AA vs. Layton isn't out in the US yet. You guys tricked me. >:|

You guys have SMT4.
You don't get to complain about anything 3DS related. >=P

Tizoc

Psychonauts still looking good-
CC3AF8645267AFBFD7A2FF8930FA15495047943F

I also like the art direction and humor, although I'm still VERY early in the game.

Falk

that puzzling face
Too many characters annoyed the shit out of me in Psychonauts for me to get past the 5 hour mark.

Which is bizarre because I loved Brutal Legend and I love Schafer's games in general and Psychonauts is one of the ones that -still- get current acclaim and clamor for a sequel. I went in with really high expectations, I guess. Clumsy gameplay really couldn't save characters that simply came off as annoying rather than hilarious.

Also I got stuck in that one level which was like bizarro floating suburbs for one hour too long.

Village

I never liked the phsyconauts aesthetic so I could never get into it. It was all the wrong parts of Johnen Vasques and Tim Burton .

Getting down to the crux of it, that article kinda sucks. Especially the bit about "the Sonic games were never good!"

I don't really know why the article even received a topic for discussion with lame arguments like that. I agree with what others have said and that the article was made simply because its easy to take a jab at the Sonic franchise, even though the last two I played (Colors and Generations) were actually pretty good.

Guess Who

Banned
I don't really know why the article even received a topic for discussion with lame arguments like that. I agree with what others have said and that the article was made simply because its easy to take a jab at the Sonic franchise, even though the last two I played (Colors and Generations) were actually pretty good.

On the author's Twitter, she claims she was not making a jab at the fanbase and believes it's beautiful that the fandom is into 90s alt art or some shit.

Both a terrible writer and up her own ass.

Village

You could literally write that article about anything.

" there are some odd people in this fan base "

Yes odd people exist. I don't know what you are trying to get at person, someone of common sense would assume in most cases those people aren't single handedly supporting a series.

eug..

On the author's Twitter, she claims she was not making a jab at the fanbase and believes it's beautiful that the fandom is into 90s alt art or some shit.

Both a terrible writer and up her own ass.

It's worth mentioning that for two years running she was a staple of GiantBomb's E3 podcasts and was banned on the grounds that Ryan Davis thought she was a sociopath.

She would always show up plastered off her ass, talk over everyone, and contribute nothing to any conversation. Notoriously her most famous bout of putting her foot in to her mouth was saying Activision spent $775,000,000 on their Call of Duty E3 presentation.

Her first appearance was a disaster, and she was allowed back for a second chance and blew that one too, hanging off of Brad with doe eyes and rambling. Earlier in the night they made a joke about a Sims 3 gang sign, but Vinny (and eventually everyone else there) started using it as an impromptu "there goes Leigh again" signal. You can see her accosting Eric Pope here, and what it lead to:

small.gif

In the intervening years a lot of people I respect in game writing said she's actually very smart and talented, so I've been willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that when she's not so drunk her top is falling off she might actually have things of value to say...

But that article really doesn't make it seem like she does.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
But that article really doesn't make it seem like she does.
To be fair to her, some of the articles she writes on Gamasutra are actually good.
From AAA to academia: What industry veterans have learned
Threes, clones and cornflakes: A view on 'casual games'
Enjoy the silence: On voice acting in games
Analysis: Anti-Social Game Design And The Sims Social

However, at the same time, some of them can be poorly-written despite trying to make a point. A good example is her opinion article in freedom in restraint which consisted of rambling.

The fallout from the second Giant Bomb appearance and her completely and utter childish behaviour on social media thereafter made me lose a lot of respect for her. A few females who were looking to get into games journalism, from what I recall, were just as disappointed with her behaviour and didn't hold her in as high esteem as they did before as well.

This Sonic article, though, is a major oddball in her portfolio. And I am tremendously disappointed that she ended up going with a clickbait article like that when she's demonstrated that she can write so much better than that in the past.

BlackJace

It's also pretty disgusting how people like to relegate a large portion of the fanbase as having some mental illness such as autism.

Speaking of Giant Bomb, I was driving to my parents' house yesterday, listening to the same news radio station I always do (WTOP 103.5 FM), and during their usual n:25/n:55 economic segment, suddenly, "I'm Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb.com..." He went on to review The Elder Scrolls Online (he didn't like it). Very surreal, though.

Tizoc

After listening to Full Focus in the World 1-2 Encore Album...holy fuck I wanna play Super Hexagon now, even the regular/original theme sounds freakin' badass.

FSLink

Banned
Super Hexagon is one of the few mobile games I enjoy. Though I hear it's better on PC with actual controls instead of touch screen.

Sciz

After listening to Full Focus in the World 1-2 Encore Album...holy fuck I wanna play Super Hexagon now, even the regular/original theme sounds freakin' badass.

For anyone who hasn't heard the original: Focus

Amazing game, amazing music. When WoW put in a SH tribute boss, the only way I got past it was by loading up Focus.

HUELEN10

Was cleaning out some disks now that I am slowly settling in to my new home, and I found this. It's a lossless gamerip I made years ago of the now-pulled iOS game "Sonic The Sketchog". Basically, it's baby versions of Sonic 4 music, you'll know what I mean once you hear it if anyone's interested.

Falk

that puzzling face

If the production style on that sounds familiar, it's because I did the orchestration/recording/drums for it :V

Super Hexagon is one of the few mobile games I enjoy. Though I hear it's better on PC with actual controls instead of touch screen.

YES

(Still yet to get any steam achievements for it though. One day...)

edit:
If you're coming to PAX you absolutely need to hear the arrangement played live. We got rock band/string quartet/choir this time, headlining Saturday night 10:45.

We're also playing Endless Possibility.

Speaking of Giant Bomb, I was driving to my parents' house yesterday, listening to the same news radio station I always do (WTOP 103.5 FM), and during their usual n:25/n:55 economic segment, suddenly, "I'm Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb.com..." He went on to review The Elder Scrolls Online (he didn't like it). Very surreal, though.

Well, Elder Scrolls Online is a very important topic economically speaking, so it's not thatsurreal. ;)

Well, Elder Scrolls Online is a very important topic economically speaking, so it's not thatsurreal. ;)
WTOP pretty much never talks about video games, though.

Could be worse. They've been talking to Motley Fool a lot lately, too. I'd much rather they get video game opinions from Giant Bomb than there.

I was hoping for Sonic to show up in the revised moves bit with a new forward B/side special but oh well.
At least we could finally see the full design of the windy hill stage right?

Falk

that puzzling face
Didn't they take all the DLC off at one point for "branding damage control"? It's a good sign if it's back up there, right?

RIGHT?

Edit: They should have made it available on Steam

hhehehehe

Been playing Metroid Prime 3.

Had only played a few hours of it when it was released. Trying to finish it this time. Hot damn it's great. I played and beat the first two games on gamecube over a decade ago, but I don't know how much I ever really appreciated them. I have since played Super Metroid, which is making me appreciate the game all the more.

Didn't they take all the DLC off at one point for "branding damage control"? It's a good sign if it's back up there, right?

RIGHT?

Edit: They should have made it available on Steam

hhehehehe

They took all games below something like a 75 metacritic score, hence why Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 06, and Sonic Unleashed were all taken down as a way to, as you said, damage control the brand.

Top Bottom