• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Village

Heroes and Unleashed weren't appalling. Especially Unleashed. Good on them for apparently bringing back Unleashed.

I guess they think people gonna hate on sonic whether someone thinks its good or bad, and its gonna sell so go for it.

You wanna know whats good, the comics.

I find that Sonic Heroes is an easy game to hate in retrospect because it's that point where the excesses born in SA1 and SA2 really started to get way out of control. Too many playable characters, too much content recycling, levels that go on way too long, etc.

But it's not an awful game, I guess. Viewed out of context of everything else, it's merely just kind of average.

Sciz

Super Hard Mode was actually pretty decent, but that might just be the Stockholm syndrome from having A-ranked everything talking.

I A-ranked everything in Heroes...on two separate files, only time I did that.

I also A-ranked everything in Shadow aswell...never again, also the stupid Mad Catz memory card I used for the game almost lost that file on multiple occasions. That was the last time I ever listened to a Gamestop employee's advice.

I find that Sonic Heroes is an easy game to hate in retrospect because it's that point where the excesses born in SA1 and SA2 really started to get way out of control. Too many playable characters, too much content recycling, levels that go on way too long, etc.

But it's not an awful game, I guess. Viewed out of context of everything else, it's merely just kind of average.

I can see that honestly, I certainly understand the criticism regarding the issues...but I feel that if I ever pop the game again into my GC/Wii, I might still enjoy it to some degree.

I still think that the environment themes and visuals were an honest cartoony/"back-to-roots"/sonic-theme attempt during the Adventure Engine Era.

AniHawk

well i just 'beat' sonic cd for the first time. boy that is one weird hybrid of a game. i kinda like the us tracks too.

i have no idea why going to the past is so difficult, or where most of those things i need to destroy are, or how to get to them if i have to backtrack.

Noi

I don't mind Heroes at all when playing through it as one team. It's going through basically the exact same game with all four teams with not much variance outside of Team Chaotix that gets really tiring.

well i just 'beat' sonic cd for the first time. boy that is one weird hybrid of a game. i kinda like the us tracks too.

i have no idea why going to the past is so difficult, or where most of those things i need to destroy are, or how to get to them if i have to backtrack.

I don't think you can, sometimes. I think there are a couple robot generators that once you pass them, you can't ever get back without just committing suicide and starting over. I could be wrong about that, but honestly the system is so obtuse that who even knows.

Sonic CD is a lot of cool ideas that weren't executed very well.

Super Hard Mode was actually pretty decent, but that might just be the Stockholm syndrome from having A-ranked everything talking.
Has to be, I mean surely super hard mode was just more enemies, more health bars and the most hellish robot carnival boss known to man.

I don't think you can, sometimes. I think there are a couple robot generators that once you pass them, you can't ever get back without just committing suicide and starting over. I could be wrong about that, but honestly the system is so obtuse that who even knows.

Sonic CD is a lot of cool ideas that weren't executed very well.

I'd consider it a fundamental flaw that they went with something of an exploration angle in a game where stages for the most part are designed to propel you forwards with momentum, if you had to backtrack on yourself for the generator hunt things could get straight up clumsy and in some cases (I'm thinking collision chaos and tidal tempest) actually impossible due to changes in the level progression.
Then if you play it as a standard reach the exit Sonic game it's remarkably easy, albeit with good music, trippy visuals and an interesting take on bosses.

AniHawk

Then if you play it as a standard reach the exit Sonic game it's remarkably easy, albeit with good music, trippy visuals and an interesting take on bosses.

this was my take from it. i am not going to put myself through fighting the level design to find all the generators, but i enjoyed what i played.

it was also weird as hell to see tails in there with the 'see you next game' text, knowing that back in the early 90s, that was a major spoiler since the internet wasn't a huge thing yet. i felt like i'd gone back in time.

Village

No it is, its awful.

It and sonic 06 sit in my special corner, of no .

Village

I feel that way about shadow, that game had a bunch of cool ideas , one of which if implemented correctly could have fixed most of that game.

Heroes just kinda felt like a waste to me.

Sciz

Has to be, I mean surely super hard mode was just more enemies, more health bars and the most hellish robot carnival boss known to man.

Sort of. There are more enemies and stronger enemies, but that means you level up faster, which in turn speeds the pacing right back up. They also cut a number of the original interactive objects in favor of light dash trails or straight up platforming, which works in concert with the extra armored enemies and spike balls to make you switch characters much more and generally be a more active participant in the game.

And there aren't any boss fights! Or tutorial dialogue. Or special stages. And it's just Team Sonic going through an amalgam of all the teams' stage content.

On reflection it's totally the best way to play the game.

it was also weird as hell to see tails in there with the 'see you next game' text, knowing that back in the early 90s, that was a major spoiler since the internet wasn't a huge thing yet. i felt like i'd gone back in time.

Or at least it would've been if they'd beaten Sonic 2 out the door instead of being several months behind.

Sort of. There are more enemies and stronger enemies, but that means you level up faster, which in turn speeds the pacing right back up. They also cut a number of the original interactive objects in favor of light dash trails or straight up platforming, which works in concert with the extra armored enemies and spike balls to make you switch characters much more and generally be a more active participant in the game.

And there aren't any boss fights! Or tutorial dialogue. Or special stages. And it's just Team Sonic going through an amalgam of all the teams' stage content.

Okay that doesn't sound too bad after all, shame I'll never wrap up obtaining what few emblems I had left, it just ain't worth the pain to experience the potentially slightly above average Heroes experience.

Technically the remake added the "See You Next Game" at the end of the credits to signal that you'd unlocked Tails for subsequent playthroughs. The original doesn't have playable Tails, and actually hid the screen inside the Sound Test, where you'd only find it if you knew both the code to access the Sound Test in the first place as well as the code on the Sound Test screen to pull the image up (or were really really bored, in the case of the latter).

Still doesn't make sense until you consider that CD is kind of sandwiched between 1 and 2, continuity-wise.

BlackJace

The backtracking to find generators in CD was exactly what was wrong with the bullshit Special Rings in Sonic Advance 2.

- No indication where they are at all
- Finding them efficiently is grossly in favor of the fliers and climbers
- Backtracking requires suicide or resetting

These problems also found its way to the Sun Medals in Unleashed. You're going so fucking fast that keeping your eyes peeled for a small ass coin that zips by in an instant is an arduous task.

Collectables in a speed and momentum based platformer, bleh.

The backtracking to find generators in CD was exactly what was wrong with the bullshit Special Rings in Sonic Advance 2.

These problems also found its way to the Sun Medals in Unleashed. You're going so fucking fast that keeping your eyes peeled for a small ass coin that zips by in an instant is an arduous task.

I never found the medals in Unleashed to be that bad because they were rarely placed like your example implies they were (and most of them that were, were usually placed in such a way that you are almost guaranteed to pick them up automatically).

Like maybe I just play too many videogames but all the medals were hidden in super obvious places where it's like...

Oh, the path forks here. The fork to the left has rings and enemies, but the fork to the right seems to be empty, but there's no such thing as empty dead ends in these videogames so I bet there's a medal or two out there

And sure enough, there would totally be something over there. As long as you kept your eyes peeled for really obvious "there's no other reason for this to exist except to hide a medal in it" places, you were usually good to go.

BlackJace

I never found the medals in Unleashed to be that bad because they were rarely placed like your example implies they were (and most of them that were, were usually placed in such a way that you are almost guaranteed to pick them up automatically).

Like maybe I just play too many videogames but all the medals were hidden in super obvious places where it's like...

Oh, the path forks here. The fork to the left has rings and enemies, but the fork to the right seems to be empty, but there's no such thing as empty dead ends in these videogames so I bet there's a medal or two out there

And sure enough, there would totally be something over there. As long as you kept your eyes peeled for really obvious "there's no other reason for this to exist except to hide a medal in it" places, you were usually good to go.
I guess I was boostin too much :/

I remember the game getting criticized for it by journos too, but maybe it could've just been chalked up to them being forced to rush through a lot of the game.

One of the bigger problems with daytime medals in unleashed is that I could see them coming up but would miss by an inch when blazing past, same thing with a few red rings in Generations, collecting smallish singular objects at fast speed in a platformer is worth a bleh from me.

Sonic CD, definitely the Nocturnowl of Genesis Sonics

Now now, it's not that good of a game really.

PKrockin

In Unleashed day stages, 2D segments mostly, I would miss a medal and try to go back only to find that the stage is full of stretches where I'm not allowed to stop running forward even when I should be able to. It would be annoying as hell to try backtracking even a little bit anyway since every 10 feet there's something that propels me forward again on touch.

Falk

that puzzling face
That was due to console limitations. There is a lot of 1-way gating so that the game could unload prior sections of the level.

Tizoc

dankeykang300_9606.jpg

Was lurking TVtropes and saw this.

Am I really the only one who had no issues finding all of the generators in CD? They're pretty large objects, and the levels aren't usually large enough that spending a few minutes to locate them (something you can do in any time period, even if you can only break them in the Past) is that hard to do. Helps that they're often placed near the beginnings or ends of stages.

Of course, Sonic CD rewards the Good Ending for getting all of the Time Stones as well, so it's not typically required, but outside of Metallic Madness, I usually knew where all of the generators were and got my Good Endings that way.

Now now, it's not that good of a game really.
Yes it is! D:

Wii Unleashed handled level progression (and medals) better, I felt. I got stuck twice scrounging for a significant number of medals just to make story progress on 360, even though I took plenty of detours and hunted through areas thoroughly. I was so glad Eggmanland didn't require medals.

I remember thinking I was going to hate Super Hard Mode when I unlocked it, but yeah, similar reaction. It feels more fun to play than the regular stages, oddly enough.

I think Heroes has something of a neat idea at the core, but just flopped the execution. If they had stuck to one or two teams, with a lot more polish (glitchy physics on anything but NTSC GameCube, controls, those ugly graphics to name a few points), and a better portrayal of the base ideas (multiple routes for different characters, instead of demanding you switch to follow a singular route, as the game lazily does later on; the characters being able to split up more and have better singular functionality, etc)... I think it might've worked out better.

I feel like the core of Sonic Heroes could make a neat PSO-style cooperative online action game. Especially if they let you mix your own teams up. Great way to utilize their huge library of otherwise slumbering or background characters.

BlackJace

Am I really the only one who had no issues finding all of the generators in CD? They're pretty large objects, and the levels aren't usually large enough that spending a few minutes to locate them (something you can do in any time period, even if you can only break them in the Past) is that hard to do. Helps that they're often placed near the beginnings or ends of stages.

Of course, Sonic CD rewards the Good Ending for getting all of the Time Stones as well, so it's not typically required, but outside of Metallic Madness, I usually knew where all of the generators were and got my Good Endings that way.

Yes it is! D:

Yeah, I went with the Chaos Emerald Time Stone collecting to get the Good Ending, I couldn't be bother tracking those generators down. (I did all the way up to a Tidal Tempesr, I believe)

I think if you are just, like, playing the game it's not bad. Like decide to run through the game as one of the teams or something. But if you decide "Hey, I'm gonna play through with every single team and the true final boss" then it just sucks. You just go through the exact same stages, with the exact same bosses, with the only difference being the characters you are playing as, which ultimately doesn't matter too much because they still all end up playing the exact same. At least SA1 and 2 provided different stages and scenarios, and the different characters had varying degrees of play styles.

So yeah, if I decided to replay Heroes right now and went through it once I probably wouldn't mind. But going through it 4 times? Not worth the time.

Weird spam I got today at my work email.

spam said:
dumbspamshitemuvt.gif

The school has it's own singing group with students from all standards. Vancouver Centennials become Vancouver Villas. BSS Product or Service categories. Peuerbach accepted the invitation on the condition that Regiomontanus could also accompany them. Chicks hatch from December to February. As an older woman, Gracie stores numerous cans of food in an attempt to ensure she is never hungry like she was as a child. He is famous for his piccolo bass sound. Liverpool and Arsenal came through the Semi final round to meet at Wembley. Kuchkino Volost of Penza Uyezd on 5 August 1918, and soon spread to neighbouring regions. Mishnaic period, and had not reached peak of acceptance as part of the religious system as a whole until the Middle Ages.
This is my own image and I hereby license the image under free license. Monday, July 8, 1940. This cannot be the date of publication since chapter 32 refers to events in June 1954. Program calls for an upgrade and modernization of around 80 existing tanks by 2015. In June 2010 an unidentified illness killed fourteen people in the nearby village of Songo. It opened in September 2009 admitting students from Notley High School and other local schools. Local sources state that the aircraft was a B200. The figures are taken from different sources.
Both works involved large forces, combining professional musicians and children in performance. Alex Blackwell later took over as driver of the truck with a different chassis, experiencing similar success. There is also an additional membership category for foreign members. Though they travel nearly everywhere in wildspace, bionoids prefer to remain alone. Her research interests are in RNA splicing. US Navy carrier air wings. Schuster obtained the M. The founding principal of the school is Dr.
Thy faith has saved thee. In April 1968, the city council voted with 47 against 38 votes to close the line. They were unable to revive him and pronounced him dead at the scene. In the first episode, Giles and Sue investigate the diet of the country in the 1980s. Eggman's robotic henchmen, who help him with his schemes of world domination. Lee TC, Carrick MM, Scott BG, et al. The decor is elegant while somehow managing to retain the best of informal good taste. He died of lung cancer Tuesday, June 10, 2008, at his home in Eagle Rock, near Los Angeles.
PCCs are often designed to resemble traditional cigarette packs. EFA but, more broadly, for reaching the overarching goal of reducing human poverty. Young viewed Conover as an uncle, so he took that advice and enrolled at Niagara the following fall. GREAT WILMCOTE to John son of John de Wyncote. Datastore API is not relational in the SQL sense. Pasta Station, Salad Station, Pizza, Grill, Panini Station, and Asian Grill. In the 1980s the Newmarket Railway Social Hall and many other railway buildings were demolished. Jewish Heritage Museum, N.
Mohism and modern Communism share a lot in terms of ideals for community life. Paris at the age of thirty. Nike to an endorsement contract. These attributes, amongst others, have assured him an enduring place in the literary pantheon of the Western World. Octagon Books, New York, 1969. Health Research Group put the US government under pressure to ban the drug. Japan's 535 total water bird. It was first published in 2004 and is found in over 1400 libraries.
The first vote, in 1896, was defeated 142 to 50. Con had to limit its attendance to 5,100. His rate of 5. In 2010 she became a Romanian citizen. An autotransfusion device with automatic features will pump the blood into the reinfusion bag and stop when the bowl is emptied. This was the remotest object known at the time of discovery. Center on a monthly basis. China, is a student from Sichuan University of Electronic Technology.
BA in Behavioral Science in 2009. A small wheel is fitted to the front of the barrel to prevent it touching the ground while being towed. Seven of Nine devises a plan to propel them out of the void and back into normal space. I desire to be of a middle condition in my city. Chelsea invites Carmen to her studio to paint and while there, Carmen meets Spencer. By means of St. Greek nationality, she is shown having strong similitude with the valley girl. Provides users instant access to Wikipedia terms related to the search.
Development of the Arts in Murray City. Surrounding villages pupils come. Route 2 Killarney 17th Ave. Since the late 1980s virtually all executions have been carried out by hanging. The school sits on 12. Tunes in May 2007. As it turns out, most of those predictions were wrong. Morris was touted as one of the best available pitchers.
US Congresswoman Rep Candice Miller. Just how much influence London really had is revealed in a discussion amongst a group of abolitionist friends in Paris. I am an atheist because I do not believe that there must be a God upon whom good and evil depend . In some homes, images of mataji are worshiped in accordance with accepted practice. Johor Bahru City Council. Clinical trials followed, and by decade's end, racing commissions in some states began legalizing its use on race horses. By 1962 Beta Psi had been launched and it was clear that the Greek alphabet system would no longer work. Cambodia, and on increasing membership in all military units. Sweden, who withdrew injured without a point being played. Benny often cited his violin playing as being on par with Heifetz. The system generated a broad surface low pressure system, as well as clusters of convection. Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Coins, Volume Two Collector Issue First Edition 2010, p.
Overvolting is done in order to increase computer performance, or in rare cases, to increase reliability. Each chapter in Part I is called an Act. He gets out, leaving the keys in the ignition, and walks down the highway smiling. He needed a nexus between the astral and the psionic planes, to generate a disturbance affecting other telepaths.
Of all the random Wikipedia-or-similar articles to mine spam text from...

Tizoc

Having just finished Prof. Layton vs. Phoenix Wright
I want to know why the Layton stories always have a fantastical explanation for all that happens that's even MORE absurd than the fantastical setting that the stories portray. It just...fucking boggles my mind, fucking unneeded and unnecessary, it ultimately ruins the story for me, such that I don't feel like replaying them.

I should've given my NDS Layton games for my brother to trade off when he left for the US =V

Having just finished Prof. Layton vs. Phoenix Wright
I want to know why the Layton stories always have a fantastical explanation for all that happens that's even MORE absurd than the fantastical setting that the stories portray. It just...fucking boggles my mind, fucking unneeded and unnecessary, it ultimately ruins the story for me, such that I don't feel like replaying them.

I should've given my NDS Layton games for my brother to trade off when he left for the US =V
But that's secretly the best part about Layton plotlines, the moment Curious Village delivered its twist the series fate was decided and so began the constant battle of absurd escalation in its sequels as well as overly convincing disguises that make no sense, I don't think Pandora's box can ever truly to be topped in this respect on both counts.
Props to PLvsPW for almost making me think for a while that things were going to be played straight because of the Wright influence or something to that effect only to perform the mandatory Layton swerve anyway, I should've known.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Beef's henchmen suck.

Even if it doesn't get as much traffic lately because we're all busy, this is still my favourite community threads because we just shoot the shit in here and people are barely hostile towards each other.

(If you've PM'd me in the last week or so, I probably won't be able to respond back until maybe Tuesday. Home stuff and exam stuff are taking up a lot of my time. :x)

I think if you are just, like, playing the game it's not bad. Like decide to run through the game as one of the teams or something. But if you decide "Hey, I'm gonna play through with every single team and the true final boss" then it just sucks. You just go through the exact same stages, with the exact same bosses, with the only difference being the characters you are playing as, which ultimately doesn't matter too much because they still all end up playing the exact same. At least SA1 and 2 provided different stages and scenarios, and the different characters had varying degrees of play styles.

So yeah, if I decided to replay Heroes right now and went through it once I probably wouldn't mind. But going through it 4 times? Not worth the time.
That's part of the reason why I don't like Sonic Heroes at all. Never mind that everything looks like plastic and the music was a little underwhelming and it took a lot of the Adventure games that I just didn't like. Then again, you guys already know I don't care as much for the Adventure games as other folks.

Super Hard Mode sounds like it's a good thing, considering my complaints about Heroes being way too long for its own good.

Not really? As someone else said, it had a lot of good ideas, but flawed execution (Wacky Workbench, I'm looking at you. Maybe you too, Collision Chaos). It's a game that focused a lot on level exploration but tried to combine that with a timer, which doesn't work as well from the outset. As you said, the generators are placed at the beginning and ending of the stages, so it's not as bad. As a kid, I focused way more on looking around and collecting rings and beating up every enemy as opposed to running through the acts quickly, so I'd often come across the generators in the past and bust them up. That's honestly how I got the True Ending in the game.

Time Stones were the hardest thing for me >.>
Special Stage 5-7 could go suck a lemon. Who put those UFOs there? Why? Is it just like the reasoning behind Eggman building Mad Gear?

Super Hexagon is one of the few mobile games I enjoy. Though I hear it's better on PC with actual controls instead of touch screen.
Super Hexagon is really good regardless of platform, but I'd agree that the PC version feels better in retrospect.

PKrockin

Not HD enough =V

Also I can't help but feel various GAFfers are incorrectly using the term 'HD'. I mean heck I could use all them fancy filters to pretty up PSX games but I don't think I'd ever call them 'HD', which to me, is what is being done to the NDS games shown in that thread.
Nah, they're not using it incorrectly. It could be a single black pixel on a white screen, if the image is rendered at a high enough resolution it's HD.

Special Stage 5-7 could go suck a lemon. Who put those UFOs there? Why? Is it just like the reasoning behind Eggman building Mad Gear?
This made me smile more than it should, it takes me back.

Special Stage 5 was a real dastard if my painful memories are correct.

Owl, your avatar is, like, staring into my soul...

Are you staring into my soul, Owl?

I'LL STARE BACK!

tumblr_mvfjm6Zw1R1r4zr2vo2_r1_500.gif
Your Soul...
nFr8Y.gif

Is mine!

I do love great grey owls.

Top Bottom