• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

BlackJace

Yo, I don't remember the soundtrack of Final Fantasy Tactics: WoTL being this good.

I haven't come across anything that I wouldn't want to hear again. And with headphones too. #magic

Anth0ny

I'm not much of a fan of that kind of discussion. It all seems like pretty wild speculation and tends to attract console warriors. The major players don't seem to act logically from an outsider's point of view anyway.

Yeah, I should clarify... the topics I mentioned, but 3 days after the thread is created. All the drive by posters have got their shitty comment out of them, and then 10 or 15 posters stick around for real discussion. A lot of the so called "Nintendoomed" threads get really interesting after the "lol nintendo just needs to go third party" and "lol the wii u is fine just wait until mario kart" fanboys get their comment out of their system.

I would like to see more detailed LttPs. Threads that take an in-depth look at something already released. Half of the forum is news threads, another large chunk are speculation and hypotheticals about the future of the industry, and the rest often are set up more like a poll or a list than for a discussion (Should i buy Pokemon or Bioshock Infinite? Favorite game by Square Enix? Name games with good writing. Name protagonists that wear hats.)

I agree with this, for sure. LTTPs usually die pretty quickly, though =/

there needs to be a catch. seems like people don't want to post in LTTPs for great games that include nothing but praise.

Do what right? this isn't any different to your usual posts.
/heel beef.
Well maybe next week you won't be around! *confident nod*
Yo, I don't remember the soundtrack of Final Fantasy Tactics: WoTL being this good.

I haven't come across anything that I wouldn't want to hear again. And with headphones too. #magic
You playing it on PSP or Vita? Because the CFW patch that removes the slowdown is so goooooooood

BlackJace

You playing it on PSP or Vita? Because the CFW patch that removes the slowdown is so goooooooood

I'm playing on iOS. Dun dun duuun.

I haven't noticed any slowdown, things are zippy. I've fallen in love with the game all over again.

Falk

that puzzling face

FFXII HD with WotLK HD Sprites Edition bundled in with fully live orchestral soundtrack

BELIEVE.

edit: WotL not WotLK

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sorry, I was writing this for a while and the discussion moved on as I was writing it up.

I generally don't mind 30 fps in games, but what I hate is people who instantly dismiss the bonus 60fps ads to both gameplay AND visuals. I remember, when I was playing A Link between Worlds, commenting on how fantastic the cutscenes/transitions looked due to the smooth as fuck 60fps and thinking about how great it would be for future Zeldas to carry that standard. Lo and behold, not even a month later, Sakamoto mentions that 60fps wouldn't necesarilly be a thing in future games and a bunch of people in the gaf thread for it are all "good, zelda only needs 30 fps they can focus on making it prettier". Genuinely beffudled reading through that.
I think in my case, when an action game isn't 60fps, or if a game counts of frames in order to get something done quickly or time attacks right, then it matters. And if the framerate's too juttery, then it triggers my motion sickness. For some games, 60fps doesn't matter. For others, it does.

It's just a matter of picking your battles, and half the time I feel like GAF chooses the wrong ones.

it seems increasingly trivial. ten years ago we were talking polygon count. now we're talking pixel count. and how that is the end-all be-all to the game experience. i'd be more concerned with how the market shrunk before our eyes and what that means as far as breadth and variety goes moving forward. how things like dlc is becoming increasingly hardwired and how paywalls are suddenly neato keen. those are the sort of things that will affect how i play games moving forward, the sort of audiences being cultivated, and ultimately the kinds of games we get and don't get from first and third party publishers.
And when I was a kid, we talked about blast processing and bits and stuff like that. Go back and read all those old USENET and BBS posts and you'll see that some folks scrutinized on bits like it was life support for discussion... and Blast Processing. It's more of a matter of latching onto marketing and buzzwords than technicalities. I agree. There are much bigger things at stake and I'm surprised people accepted stuff like DLC and online passes so readily. I know people talk about how "inflation in turn makes some of those 1990s carts more expensive", but at the same time, you do have to think about how much money you're paying after the fact that you've purchased the game. You need to pay for MS Gold or PS+ (and admittedly, I think PS+ is a bit of a bargain if you don't buy games as much and just go for free stuff) or you need to buy online passes or you need to buy DLC as opposed to unlocking stuff with codes. People complained about Street Fighter IV DLC being unlockable costumes and Horse Armour, but people bought them.

In terms of games experimentation, we see more and more of that on Steam lately and smartphones (even if there are tons and tons of clones on the mobile market as we've seen from Angry Birds and Threes!). I don't necessarily see some of that on bigger console games. Some companies bank on older ideas that have worked on the past and play it safe from that standpoint. Some companies bank on other ideas that they saw was successful financially for other companies so they copy some of the games' designs and structures and implement it in their own game. Other companies shut down studios for devs whose games didn't make a lot of cash but had good ideas. Even some of the Kickstarters I've backed usually have something that harkens back to the past like being a "metroidvania" or "like Zelda" or "like a PS1 RPG". You need to advertise those attributes in order to stand out. you just end up getting more homogenization because the market is smaller.

gaf was pretty bad if not worse when the ds and psp launched, all the way through the middle of 2007. i remember though, there weren't what you could classify as sony fans until the ps3 was selling worse than the gamecube and the psp was getting walloped by the ds.

people have already accepted the placement of the wii u and 3ds and vita thank god. all that's left is the ps4 and xbox one, a pointless discussion of resolution and framerate (aka dick measuring contests) that will continue until probably a year from now when sales settle down. there will still be some smoldering embers, but there were even console warriors caring about the ps3 becoming a second-place console when it turned 7 years old and didn't matter anymore.
I don't think I'd agree with the bolded. You still have a lot of folks saying that a Vita version of a game is a waste of time, lots of folks hoping for the Wii U's hurrah to come soon and reduced to subtle port-begging, folks asking "why is there a vita version but not a 3ds version; guys i don't care that there is only a vita version in japan", etc. You're still going to have that for a while, and it sucks knowing that. PS4 and Xbox One, I'll give you. A lot of the contests between the two are so obnoxious.

I would like to see more detailed LttPs. Threads that take an in-depth look at something already released. Half of the forum is news threads, another large chunk are speculation and hypotheticals about the future of the industry, and the rest often are set up more like a poll or a list than for a discussion (Should i buy Pokemon or Bioshock Infinite? Favorite game by Square Enix? Name games with good writing. Name protagonists that wear hats.)
I've been bitching about how bad "LTTP" threads have gotten for so long. And so has Nocturnowl. LTTP threads, for the most part these days, kind of suck. A lot of them are either:
  • guys i just bought this game. i just took it out of the shrinkwrap!
  • "lttp: killer curtains attack" gaf, i haven't bought this game yet, what do you guys think of it"
  • gaf i played like 1 hour of this game and i'm ready to deliver my verdict
  • neogaf i bought this game, do you think i should play it???
It's like, no. When you finish the majority of the game, or when you're done the game, make the thread. If you make an LTTP thread so early, you're prone to getting spoiled, and you don't even have much to say about the game if you make it so early. I'm surprised the thread quality has gotten that bad that folks don't get how LTTP threads should actually be done. Same with RTTP threads but those seem more rare. If I did an RTTP thread these days, it'd be a playthrough thread.

You know what? Here's an example of a good LTTP thread that was just made today: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802806. And look, barely anyone's posted in it because ... I don't know? Is it the text that's the barrier of entry?

Then you have threads like this, which get a ton of responses by comparison because it's a one-line op? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803484

I'm sure a lot of people use the main games forum as a news aggregator. You get news faster than ever before because it doesn't have a ton of OTs and other threads to comb through. And list threads without discussion grind my gears a little, too.

Y'all unfun-ing the thread makes me wanna ban myself again. Let's positive thinking, dammit! :(
If you wanted to complain about GAF's latest misgivings here and now, now's the time to do so to at least get it out of your system. I think the discussion will move on soon enough since it looks like a loooot of folks here wanted to get some stuff out of their systems.
KuGsj.gif

Sciz

You know what? Here's an example of a good LTTP thread that was just made today: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802806. And look, barely anyone's posted in it because ... I don't know? Is it the text that's the barrier of entry?

Then you have threads like this, which get a ton of responses by comparison because it's a one-line op? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803484

Everyone wants to give their opinion. Few care to read others.

PKrockin

I've been bitching about how bad "LTTP" threads have gotten for so long. And so has Nocturnowl. LTTP threads, for the most part these days, kind of suck. A lot of them are either:
  • "lttp: killer curtains attack" gaf, i haven't bought this game yet, what do you guys think of it"
It's like, no. When you finish the majority of the game, or when you're done the game, make the thread. If you make an LTTP thread so early, you're prone to getting spoiled, and you don't even have much to say about the game if you make it so early. I'm surprised the thread quality has gotten that bad that folks don't get how LTTP threads should actually be done. Same with RTTP threads but those seem more rare. If I did an RTTP thread these days, it'd be a playthrough thread.

Yep. I saw that MGS3 thread today, opened it, saw the OP, rolled my eyes and closed it before I got banned for thread whining. Meanwhile I never saw that Yakuza thread. And while the difference in the popularity of the two series probably plays into it, it's genuinely a little sad to me that he put so much effort into it to not get a single response until he bumped it days later.

I think Sciz nailed it. The poll threads, the list threads, the one-line LttP threads... people only see them as an opportunity to throw their vote in. Many don't want to actually engage in discussion. They want to post "yeah that was awesome" and be seen by others.

I felt legit sad Owl's LttP CV threads got so little attention, his posts discussing the game are so fun to read.

But uh i-its not like I like him or anything!~

Falk

that puzzling face
I think Sciz nailed it. The poll threads, the list threads, the one-line LttP threads... people only see them as an opportunity to throw their vote in. Many don't want to actually engage in discussion. They want to post "yeah that was awesome" and be seen by others.

And never re-open the thread.

Noi

Yep. I saw that MGS3 thread today, opened it, saw the OP, rolled my eyes and closed it before I got banned for thread whining. Meanwhile I never saw that Yakuza thread. And while the difference in the popularity of the two series probably plays into it, it's genuinely a little sad to me that he put so much effort into it to not get a single response until he bumped it days later.

It reminds me of my earlier days where I made a LTTP thread on Last Rebellion. I was halfway through the game and writing long posts trying to figure out exactly why the game was so bad. Needless to say, the thread didn't stay alive for very long.

"Everyone wants to give their opinion. Few care to read others." < I know I'm guilty of this myself sometimes, but I do try to respond to everything that someone quotes me for. I'd like to think I /try/, at the least.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'll respond to the bigger stuff later, but... regarding the speedrun thing:

Sure. You guys can start right away if you'd wanted to. I'm in the middle of final exams and Easter so I wouldn't be able to get a ton of practice in atm until the 23rd.

But if you truly wanted to start off with Generations right now since it's a long weekend, you should! Post your times in here and indicate if you did a red ring run or if you did a straight-up speedrun, and we'll keep track of it that way for now.

What I wanted to do is set up a spreadsheet and stuff, but I just don't have time outside of small study breaks at the moment.

I felt legit sad Owl's LttP CV threads got so little attention, his posts discussing the game are so fun to read.

Ah, now the truth comes out. :p

Well, there's where the "no thread whining" rule comes in. It's a double-edged sword rule. With some threads it isn't merited at all, but with other threads, yeah, it's a plausible question. This is why we had the "stupid questions / stupid gaming questions that don't warrant their own threads" threads.

I don't think that no one cares about reading other people's opinions about a game or a news story, because we still have discussion (ex: GotY thread, playthrough threads, etc), but it's in small patches and it's not something we see often.

It reminds me of my earlier days where I made a LTTP thread on Last Rebellion. I was halfway through the game and writing long posts trying to figure out exactly why the game was so bad. Needless to say, the thread didn't stay alive for very long.
oh wow, I never saw this thread at all D:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493736

Refyref

I read all of Owl's CV LttP threads, but didn't reply in them, because the more intricate parts aren't so fresh in my mind. I feel like posting a reply without much substance in a thread that is about serious discussion of a game is also not a helpful thing.

One-line nothing happened LttP threads seem easier to drop some random comment about the game in, while threads that present an opinion that discusses the game probably deters those people from posting. Not that I'm defending the former! I'm just pondering about one possible reason they get much more activity.

Razzer

Is it possible that given how large the forum is getting it might become necessary to create a new board for news? So Gaming, News, Off-topic and Community. The rate at which threads jump down the front page may be a reason some of the great threads fall under the radar, and separating the news slows that traffic down a lot.

I don't think this will ever stop amusing me.

My work is done and I didn't even have to say anything.
Nothing quite like the threads that aren't even late to the party where they're still deliberating whether to go to said party or not.

Mini exception for when someone is wondering whether it's worth them continuing a game they're dubious on by rounding up opinions of those who have played said game.

Hey at the very least they're fun to write up, I mean sure it stings a tad that they swiftly perish while a "controversial" LTTP thread based upon a game that's not even a year old flourishes for a variety of reasons but I'm working on a kinda niche scale by comparison.

Wont stop me from making more though!

I read all of Owl's CV LttP threads, but didn't reply in them, because the more intricate parts aren't so fresh in my mind. I feel like posting a reply without much substance in a thread that is about serious discussion of a game is also not a helpful thing.

One-line nothing happened LttP threads seem easier to drop some random comment about the game in, while threads that present an opinion that discusses the game probably deters those people from posting. Not that I'm defending the former! I'm just pondering about one possible reason they get much more activity.
I absolutely get that first point, happens to me as well with games that I may have played yet don't feel entirely well versed in as well as other threads where I see that there's a damn fine OP but I feel as if I'm lacking in anything substantial to add so I just sort of lurk in the background.

Since we're on the subject of Speedrunning, is there a good site that details the various aspects of it in Unleashed and Generations, the quirks of some of the tricks? For example, I'm somewhat clear on how M-Speed works, but all the Quick-Stepping I see in Unleashed videos, is there really a benefit to that (beyond avoiding certain triggers and springs), or is that just the speedrunner keeping their fingers busy, as some prefer to do?

I'm not asking about this for the community competition, just in general. I see bits and pieces of the information around, in YouTube comments and such, but it'd be nice if there was a collected resource out there.

PKrockin

"Everyone wants to give their opinion. Few care to read others." < I know I'm guilty of this myself sometimes, but I do try to respond to everything that someone quotes me for. I'd like to think I /try/, at the least.
I'm guilty of it too. Posts with content take time and effort. It's tempting to just throw your vote out there when you can't be bothered to back it up. At least it'll be counted, right? One more vote for the thing you support. But everything worth doing requires time and effort. It'd be cool if we all made our time on GAF more meaningful.

BHZ Mayor

So, I decided to get Beyond Good and Evil HD to see what all the hubbub is about. I've only gotten to the first save point, so all I can say about it right now is the camera (the game camera, not the item) is kinda ass.

iavi

A cool way to do the Generations speed-runs, save some time, (and provide some receipts) is for everyone to list what platform they'll be running on, everyone on whatever platform to friendlist up, and go off that. It'll not only make it easier for the runners to get some immediate feedback, but give whoever's going to head up the overall, platform-agnostic chart an easier spot to source from. All you'll need is a screenshot of the leaderboards.

In a perfect world, everybody's running on Steam/PC.

Generations is like a permanent fixture on my SSD, so tell me when to go and I will.

Falk

that puzzling face
Since we're on the subject of Speedrunning, is there a good site that details the various aspects of it in Unleashed and Generations, the quirks of some of the tricks? For example, I'm somewhat clear on how M-Speed works, but all the Quick-Stepping I see in Unleashed videos, is there really a benefit to that (beyond avoiding certain triggers and springs), or is that just the speedrunner keeping their fingers busy, as some prefer to do?

I'm not asking about this for the community competition, just in general. I see bits and pieces of the information around, in YouTube comments and such, but it'd be nice if there was a collected resource out there.

QSS does make you go faster. I was the most thankful person on the planet when Generations plugged that loophole because honest to God I felt bad showing anyone an Unleashed speedrun.

"why is sonic as spastic as his fanbase lmao"

So I commented on this in the IRC, but I just started put Star Ocean 1 in my PSP and was wondering what the point of renaming characters when the voices just use the default names anyway. I may rename some of the characters to SonicGAF members but I dunno how I feel about the voices.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Coldman has a message for you all.

y1mwHwI.png

He's back in a few weeks, btw. You can argue with him then.

A cool way to do the Generations speed-runs, save some time, (and provide some receipts) is for everyone to list what platform they'll be running on, everyone on whatever platform to friendlist up, and go off that. It'll not only make it easier for the runners to get some immediate feedback, but give whoever's going to head up the overall, platform-agnostic chart an easier spot to source from. All you'll need is a screenshot of the leaderboards.

In a perfect world, everybody's running on Steam/PC.

Generations is like a permanent fixture on my SSD, so tell me when to go and I will.
This seems like a good idea. I was thinking of separating everyone according to platform as well if everyone agreed to it. A few of us have the PS3 version, a few have the 360 version, and a few have the PC version.

That way it's a little easier to keep track of everyone. That said, I don't want to pressure everyone into having the best time ever since this is mostly for fun and games. At the same time, while I trust everyone, lying isn't very cool.

Unless you guys want a free Steam game or something, I dunno. Other input is welcome!

So I pre-ordered Child of Light, and it still puzzles me why it's a cross-buy title in Europe but not in North America.
Bums me out. I guess I'm only getting it for PS4.

BlackJace

lol I forgot you can straight-up chuck rocks at enemies in War of the Lions. So barbaric, yet so effective.

I'm quite tempted to do a RTTP thread now.

Fake edit: lmao you can shove dudes off ledges for additional damage too. This game.

So yea, that PSN sale. Holy shit, right? Had some cash left over from pre-ordering Child of Light and got all the Telltale stuff and PS1 platformers. First game I booted up was Jurassic Park. Saw it getting a good amount of hate in the actual thread, but from what I've played, is actually pretty cool, despite being hilariously buggy as hell. It's weird, since I have The Walking Dead for the VITA yet couldn't get into it, but I'm digging Jurassic Park. I think I may have finally found a genre I prefer on consoles than handhelds...

War of the Lions

What was with the "K" then?

HUELEN10

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, nah, he doesn't mind since he was mostly joking.

You can work on them both since it would be more cohesive in terms of planning and cohesion. At least, that's what I think anyway. It'd be a closer link between the game and TV show, imo.

BlackJace

Considering the scope (game, TV, merchandise), it seems like the more hands on deck, the better.
You two could really make a great collaboration.

HUELEN10

Well, nah, he doesn't mind since he was mostly joking.

You can work on them both since it would be more cohesive in terms of planning and cohesion. At least, that's what I think anyway. It'd be a closer link between the game and TV show, imo.
Gotcha. I guess nothing changes then. I've been saving videos and links and assets ever since announcement. I'll host both of them, but help never hurts after all. It would be good to have one person doing both in terms of cohesion, but multiple people working on it would be good too. The scope of Boom is gonna be fairly big after all, and there's gonna be a lot to cover. This is gonna be fun though.

BHZ Mayor

Typed it out of reflex, was too lazy to stab at my phone touchscreen for 10 minutes like a shit-chucking ape to get to the proper place so I could remove one letter so I just appended to the post.

p.s. phones are the worst.

LMAO. I hate that so much about typing on mobile.

Top Bottom