• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Falk's just used to typing his name all like FaLK

Gotcha. I guess nothing changes then. I've been saving videos and links and assets ever since announcement. I'll host both of them, but help never hurts after all. It would be good to have one person doing both in terms of cohesion, but multiple people working on it would be good too. The scope of Boom is gonna be fairly big after all, and there's gonna be a lot to cover. This is gonna be fun though.
Oh, btw, I forgot to say that you should probably put that into this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450653. That's probably why Coldman didn't know.

Hah, should've called ahead. Drove out to Packrat for nothing. Thought stream was going to be here, signing, etc. Screen printing the shirts isn't even ready yet. Bleh.

Rlan

Help I've fallen down a collection hole again.

Back in my home state for a week and a bit, decided to catalog all the different Sonic games I own. Between 2000 and 2005 I was pretty into collecting all the different versions of games and such, but after 2006 (and moving to a different state) I kind of stopped.

Catalog here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11v6oGJ7gvtuO1HHzN-AOnV72A3a-UpTtUvedfPLpPno/edit?usp=sharing

Now I'm back in. Some games are pretty decently cheap now, but some are bullshit expensive too.

AniHawk

i am playing crash bandicoot for the first time and holy hell. was naughty dog ever any good? it's such a weird blend of boring and frustrating. there's very little going on with the level design on one end, with boxes being collectible for no real reason. on the other side there's dumb hit detection and stiff, awkward movement.

i am sort of of the mind that out of 1996's first party mascot games, nights stands the test of time the best.

AniHawk

i started with the second and was similarly unimpressed with pretty much everything i just said about the first game, except that one is more confusing to understand in how to progress through the game.

i will try warped i guess. that one should at least have analog controls.

TheOGB

Banned
The third is admittedly more of the same plus vehicle levels and new abilities after beating bosses (double jump, super spin, etc), so I don't know if you'll care for that if you're already not impressed with 2 at least. I am curious though...

i started with the second and was similarly unimpressed with pretty much everything i just said about the first game, except that one is more confusing to understand in how to progress through the game.

i will try warped i guess. that one should at least have analog controls.
What do you mean by this?

Shit just remembered PSP had sonic exclusive games. How were they? Were they even platformers?

They were by Backbone Entertainment, or as they should be more aptly called, "Bare Minimum Entertainment".

Sonic Rivals 1 and Sonic Rivals 2 are bad games. Sonic Rivals 2 is less bad, but it's still a crummy gimmick (the entire game is a one-on-one race) with very, very awful level design. I recorded footage of Sonic Rivals 1 in the PPSSPP emulator, see for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpbRM3FDmFQ

(Note that the overbearing lightbloom is a PPSSPP bug)

Guess Who

Banned
Wasn't the story with Sonic Rivals that it was originally going to be a typical Sonic platformer before Iizuka came and told them to make it a racer?

AniHawk

The third is admittedly more of the same plus vehicle levels and new abilities after beating bosses (double jump, super spin, etc), so I don't know if you'll care for that if you're already not impressed with 2 at least. I am curious though...

What do you mean by this?
crash 1 has the a-b level select map. crash 2 puts you in a series of rooms where progression depends on something.

TheOGB

Banned
Oh, yeah, Crash 1 is more of a journey across the islands. In 2 and Warped it's all about getting crystals. You can do an area in whatever order and just grab the crystal (usually) near the halfway point of each level. Breaking every box in a level gives you a gem, and getting all those gets you the good ending.

In Crash 1 there are no crystals and you only get a gem if you got all the boxes AND don't die in the level.

Refyref

Wasn't the story with Sonic Rivals that it was originally going to be a typical Sonic platformer before Iizuka came and told them to make it a racer?

Yes, but considering the developer, I doubt they would have turned out good even if they were platformers.

Speaking as someone else who finds the rest pretty average I really didn't find what I played of 3 to be any better, I'd argue it's kinda worse off (compared to CB2, haven't played the first in ages so can't really compare) for the two reasons you specified.
Those bike stages man, those bloody awful bike stages alone ruin Warped's chances for redemption, it seems to be a thing with that eras platformers to get bogged down in ill advised gameplay variety and minigames for sequels (take a bow Banjo Tooie), I wonder if it was ever a pro and not a con.
I get what they were doing with the added abilities trying to add more variety to the gameplay but some of them come across as a bit too much, double jump with a hovering spin is one hell of an increase from the standard jump, bazooka can allow you to just snipe at certain hazards from a distance, in either case I'd argue stage obstacles take a bit of a hit due to these being so useful.

Really I never found the enclosed corridor like design that most stages in the trilogy employ to take much advantage of the newfound 3D space, it's like they don't get the strengths of either 3D or 2D platformers and sit in some kind of limbo that can be kinda entertaining at times but man do a lot of the stages just start to meld together without enough elements to really differentiate stages for the most part.

While we're on about recently played platformers I finally got myself around to Ducktales Remastered last week. I can't really think of much to say about it, it was kinda fun by virtue of the pogo mechanic alone, I don't recall much of my limited time with the NES original so I'm not really sure how this fares by comparison level design wise since they made collecting some treasure mandatory this time around to increase level length.
The character chatter wasn't as bad as I feared, I mean it's small time compared to Puppeteer at least and there's the ever handy skip option in the menu, would be nice if you could play a mode that just auto skips banter as if I return for a replay then I'll be skipping away regardless.
Otherwise it was indeed a thing that I played, yep....man I really can't think of much to say about this one at all, just pogo mechanics are fun. I guess more could be done with the level layouts or obstacle variety but then I need to remember it was a NES title remake, I can at least say you don't need nostalgia for either the game or show to get some fun out of this.
Oh and it goes without saying that the remixed music is pretty tasty.

TheOGB

Banned
Speaking as someone else who finds the rest pretty average I really didn't find what I played of 3 to be any better, I'd argue it's kinda worse off (compared to CB2, haven't played the first in ages so can't really compare) for the two reasons you specified.
Those bike stages man, those bloody awful bike stages alone ruin Warped's chances for redemption, it seems to be a thing with that eras platformers to get bogged down in ill advised gameplay variety and minigames for sequels (take a bow Banjo Tooie), I wonder if it was ever a pro and not a con.
I get what they were doing with the added abilities trying to add more variety to the gameplay but some of them come across as a bit too much, double jump with a hovering spin is one hell of an increase from the standard jump, bazooka can allow you to just snipe at certain hazards from a distance, in either case I'd argue stage obstacles take a bit of a hit due to these being so useful.
Part of why I prefer 2 to 3 is because there's less vehicle/alternative levels. The bike levels were silly enough for me to at least laugh at while I powered through, and though maybe not for the right reasons, they were challenging-but-not-frustrating enough to keep me coming back to do better at them. The plane levels, however, I had less pity on. Most of them weren't fun. And Coco's jet ski levels you had to take really slowly if you didn't want to keep getting blown up.

Relics really helped the game, though. Going back through levels with the power-ups was fun, though I guess you have a point about them being a bit much at times.

Really I never found the enclosed corridor like design that most stages in the trilogy employ to take much advantage of the newfound 3D space, it's like they don't get the strengths of either 3D or 2D platformers and sit in some kind of limbo that can be kinda entertaining at times but man do a lot of the stages just start to meld together without enough elements to really differentiate stages for the most part.
It's come up in the Crash community thread a few times, but I'd like to see Crash run and jump through levels more like those in Super Mario 3D Land/World. I feel like that'd be a good environment for that classic Crash kind of gameplay--besides the Jak and Daxter/Crash Twinsanity route, of course.

BHZ Mayor

i am playing crash bandicoot for the first time and holy hell. was naughty dog ever any good? it's such a weird blend of boring and frustrating. there's very little going on with the level design on one end, with boxes being collectible for no real reason. on the other side there's dumb hit detection and stiff, awkward movement.

i am sort of of the mind that out of 1996's first party mascot games, nights stands the test of time the best.
So what you're saying is, Crash Team Racing and Jak and Daxter were flukes? :p

It's come up in the Crash community thread a few times, but I'd like to see Crash run and jump through levels more like those in Super Mario 3D Land/World. I feel like that'd be a good environment for that classic Crash kind of gameplay--besides the Jak and Daxter/Crash Twinsanity route, of course.
I'd agree, the linear style of platforming was its more popular style and seems like the logical progression to take if it ever returns with a bigger push backing it.
While Mario 3D Land/World has mostly abstract environments floating off in the sky and what not Crash always seemed to have a strong emphasis on the surrounding settings so ideally they'd widen the scope of level design compared to the originals while keeping the stages grounded in something resembling an actual world and not vaguely themed sky bound platforms.
And make the various boulder chase/ animal riding equivalents updated in the dynamic set piece style of say Rayman Origin Treasure Chases and DKCR Mine Carts.

I want this non existent game now, more 3D platformers are needed in this day and age.

So what you're saying is, Crash Team Racing and Jak and Daxter were flukes? :p

Looking at its sequels J&D is the flukiest fluke that ever fluked.

Hey, fam. Stopped by Image Anime in Manhattan with my girl a few weeks ago and picked up the Sonic Nendoroid. It's too awesome to even put into words. Sorry about the terrible lighting:

BlsBs_QIEAA5AHi.jpg

BlsEeBXIEAAPcFT.jpg

BlsIj6DIMAAxxGh.jpg

ThH2eTW.jpg

BlsLX_6IEAAqCEv.jpg

BlsMaTaIUAAoYNI.jpg

BlsQC5EIYAEWChF.jpg

BlsSO6RIQAA93fh.jpg

BlsTjTuIMAAMBYV.jpg

BlsVcJlIMAAzyCs.jpg

Had too much fun with it, haha. Cute little guy.

...they'd widen the scope of level design compared to the originals while keeping the stages grounded in something resembling an actual world and not vaguely themed sky bound platforms.

This is one of the problems I have with not only Super Mario 3D Bland/Iso World, but also Sonic Lost World: the design of the game mainly makes them feel more like tech demos to me than actual finished products. It's a bigger gripe with Lost World because due to not only that but the way the levels are segmented into different chunks, I honestly don't feel like I'm going anywhere, which, for a character like Sonic who relies a good amount on speed, really sucks me out of the game.

TheOGB

Banned
Hey, fam. Stopped by Image Anime in Manhattan with my girl a few weeks ago and picked up the Sonic Nendoroid. It's too awesome to even put into words. Sorry about the terrible lighting:

I fucked up and attached the base of the coin case backwards :(

I bet that Modern Sonic tricked him into playing.

"yeah mega man is in this game huehuehue"
Haha.

I think it was said before on a Sonic related thread in the past but I love the proportions on the Nendoroid, it's like a mix of Classic and Modern.

I fucked up and attached the base of the coin case backwards :(
Maan, it was a bitch to put together. I messed up the top as you can see, that tab isn't supposed to be showing, but I gave up.

AniHawk

Oh, yeah, Crash 1 is more of a journey across the islands. In 2 and Warped it's all about getting crystals. You can do an area in whatever order and just grab the crystal (usually) near the halfway point of each level. Breaking every box in a level gives you a gem, and getting all those gets you the good ending.

In Crash 1 there are no crystals and you only get a gem if you got all the boxes AND don't die in the level.
oh. a good ending. in a platformer. neat.

i'm really curious about ctr now. maybe that and jak and daxter really were flukes.

Haha.

I think it was said before on a Sonic related thread in the past but I love the proportions on the Nendoroid, it's like a mix of Classic and Modern.

Maan, it was a bitch to put together. I messed up the top as you can see, that tab isn't supposed to be showing, but I gave up.

How much did it cost? I'm thinking about getting one, but maybe after EVO so I actually have money to spend.

Some of these are stretches, and it sort of hinges on Flying Battery still being a part of Sonic 3 instead of moved to Sonic & Knuckles like it ultimately was, buuuuut:

s3spstg.png
skspstg.png

I remember when I found out the checkered patterns they've been using some Sonic 1 were to visually emphasize the speed of the character.

Legit shook

TheOGB

Banned
Some of these are stretches, and it sort of hinges on Flying Battery still being a part of Sonic 3 instead of moved to Sonic & Knuckles like it ultimately was, buuuuut:

s3spstg.png
skspstg.png

It's funny, I remember thinking the same thing when I got to the 4th Special Stage and was like "Why does this place look like Carnival Ni--OOOOOOHHHHHHH!" I only ever noticed it again with Angel Island, so I thought it was just coincidence, but now seeing them all together it makes much more sense.

A couple of stretches (maybe they semi-abandoned the idea by the time they were working on Sonic & Knuckles), but that's definitely neat, intentional or not.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Looking at 'em side-by-side, wow. I actually never noticed that before, lol.

GAF To-Do List:
- Make spreadsheet for our speedrun stuff (and you guys are totally welcome to start doing stuff!)
- Make GAF Plays Legend of Legaia thread because Noi is bossy
- Finish three versions of Ultima 4 to post an RTTP thread about 'em.
- Start work on my "summer of RPGs" list (ie: old-ass/newish games (like Alpha Protocol, a few NES games I wanna replay, a few PS1/Amiga games I missed out on, and a buncha recent NISA games) that folks have told me to play so I'll play 'em at the expense of not doing many platinums this summer)

Got lots of shit to do this week after finals are over on Wednesday night.

If you're speedrunning Sonic Generations now, indicate:
- platform of choice
- red ring run or straight-up speedrun
- your time

Maybe I'll decide to throw in a Steam game for someone if they pull off some cool stuff. If we do want to dole out rewards, we would have to decide whether or not we want to show proof of times or if folks feel like participating in a competitive sense or just for fun.

I'm way too jealous, spin.

It looks much better than it does in promotional images, imo. Lots of stuff you can do with it, anyway, depending on light source.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I remember one of my posts essentially being something like

"Hi GAF! I love you guys <3"

Haha, and Beef was all optimistic and not mean.

FSLink

Banned
That junior thread is pretty hilarious. So much optimism.

I don't even remember my first post on NeoGAF since I lurked around for awhile. I do remember my first forum post on the internet was when I was like 11 years old or so and I think I used a ^_^ face.

I don't remember if there was a "new juniors" thread when I was verified but I didn't post in it if there was. Pretty sure my first post was some Power Rangers/Masked Rider shit.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Their smiles and optimism... gone.
KuGsj.gif

We tried to behave in the spirit of the lost smiley faces, but several years have clearly taken its toll. :V
Edit: holy shit, I barely ever see half of those folks in the thread I linked lately.

...Man, my posting style has changed a bit.

Far less optimism and more cynicism. It's funny how things change over time, heh.

That junior thread is pretty hilarious. So much optimism.

I don't even remember my first post on NeoGAF since I lurked around for awhile. I do remember my first forum post on the internet was when I was like 11 years old or so and I think I used a ^_^ face.
13-year-old Schala posting on GameFAQs was far too optimistic, I'll admit.

Your first post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9452164&postcount=25

I don't remember if there was a "new juniors" thread when I was verified but I didn't post in it if there was. Pretty sure my first post was some Power Rangers/Masked Rider shit.
Pretty accurate: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28678771&postcount=841

--

...my first post was in the Radiant Historia thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26303370&postcount=361

Beef's was... really really happy. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26064319&postcount=32

Nocturnowl's (since he was in the same junior rush): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26622391&postcount=41

JC is one of the few whose posting style didn't seem to change over the years. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32287335&postcount=16142

Top Bottom