• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Silky

Banned
Bayonetta for instance, her character is an archetype I kind of grew out of, or maybe like Shala on the last page was never really into in the first place. She is this magical felcia/catwoman/trish kind of thing. It isn't necessarily bad, just call me they make the Captain marvel/Wonder woman archetype female led action games. Bayo not for me.

What do you mean by this blurb, Village? Are you referring specifically to Bayo's personality or just her character design in general, because in all honesty the type of character Bayonetta is, I could relate to Wonder Woman/PowerGirl/Ms. Marvel. I don't really see the Felicia/Catwoman comparisons.

I really wish they could delay it, but it has been like three years, so...

Hold up Sonic Boom was 3 years in development? What the hell?

Just saw that gameplay footage of Sonic Boom...
  • The OST seems to be nonexistant.
  • Gameplay seems to be totally boring.
  • The constant talking is back. I could live with it in Heroes, so I could live with it here too.

This game seems "old" to me. It's like they got a PS2 platformer and just put some Sonic characters on it and it was done. I'm probably skipping this one.

TheOGB

Banned
This is like my 4th time watching it and I just... don't get it.

Like, I'm sure BRB could do a 3D platformer justice, but Sonic ain't the one.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I want to hear AniHawk talk about ex-Naughty Dog devs.

Hold up Sonic Boom was 3 years in development? What the hell?
3 years counting this year.

Either the music was too low volume or it was so generic that I even forgot it existed.

At least one good thing out of Sonic Boom will be coming out this week.
You'll do it justice, bb

I had a feeling that I'd seen Sonic Boom's gameplay before but couldn't quite pin it down.

Then I remembered.

Except they somehow managed to make the music even more underwhelming and make the regular mooks that a billion more hits to get killed. Sonic Boom pls

Edit: Seriously, it takes ~10 hits to take out a single mook without even counting the hits the AI Sonic landed.
I can't believe I missed that. You know how much I love it when games waste my time? That's an example. I didn't like it as much before I levelled up Werehog in Unleashed, I don't like it in RPGs, and I don't like what I'm seeing in that footage there.

Rikkun

Man this is really ugly, people on twitter were not exaggerating.

Oh well, I knew from the first teaser I wouldn't have cared for the game. Give me Uncolorations or I'm out of the brand, except for Sonic Kart Whatever

PKrockin

Ugh... I didn't even buy into the hyper negativity surrounding Sonic Boom before this. I went into this video expecting a better Sonic Heroes (which I actually enjoyed a bit). What I got was, well, a worse Sonic Heroes. The combat, gottagofast sections and the camera looks jerkier, and the music sounds very un-Sonic. For some reason (audio mixing?) the dialogue really sticks out in a weird way, such that for a good 20 seconds I thought it was the player commenting over the video and not Sonic.

Silky

Banned
I'll give it a shot. I like what I'm seeing from Amy's gameplay. Shame they're just now revealing the game. It could've gotten a lot more input from players if it were revealed earlier.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Y'all. Tomodachi Life is hilarious as shit. SovanJedi's singing rap, and Noi's working at the fair selling mystery bags, and Coldman's running along the beach.

I dunno why, but the randomness sold me on it.

Ugh... I didn't even buy into the hyper negativity surrounding Sonic Boom before this. I went into this video expecting a better Sonic Heroes (which I actually enjoyed a bit). What I got was, well, a worse Sonic Heroes. The combat, gottagofast sections and the camera looks jerkier, and the music sounds very un-Sonic. For some reason (audio mixing?) the dialogue really sticks out in a weird way, such that for a good 20 seconds I thought it was the player commenting over the video and not Sonic.
Kinda hope you can turn that stuff off without turning cutscene voices/Mike Pollock's voice off. Camera is really jerky. I don't think I can look at the game for that long because I know I'll probably get sick.

I hope they show more of the 3DS version, though. Looks more interesting than the Wii U version.

Rikkun

I'll give it a shot. I like what I'm seeing from Amy's gameplay. Shame they're just now revealing the game. It could've gotten a lot more input from players if it were revealed earlier.

You mean... they could've known earlier nobody would pay five bucks to play this game in this current state? Or even worse?

Village

I had a feeling that I'd seen Sonic Boom's gameplay before but couldn't quite pin it down.

Then I remembered.

6vYko5L.png

Except they somehow managed to make the music even more underwhelming and make the regular mooks that a billion more hits to get killed. Sonic Boom pls

Edit: Seriously, it takes ~10 hits to take out a single mook without even counting the hits the AI Sonic landed.

CALLED IT. called that back when they announced the developers.

What do you mean by this blurb, Village? Are you referring specifically to Bayo's personality or just her character design in general, because in all honesty the type of character Bayonetta is, I could relate to Wonder Woman/PowerGirl/Ms. Marvel. I don't really see the Felicia/Catwoman comparisons.

I disagree.

We can Pm about this.

Noi

CALLED IT. called that back when they announced the developers.

If there's one thing that comes to mind about All 4 One, its how all four characters are basically re-skins who have the same tools, abilities and weapons just to ensure that you can clear every stage with every character. They also made it so you couldn't play with less than 2 people (one AI) because the whole game was designed around multiplayer.

And hey what to do you know, every character in Sonic Boom has that electrip whip that can hook onto grapple points and grab enemies... :/

Falk

that puzzling face
Wasn't Funky Rustic (e.g. Alexander Brandon's peeps) involved in the music? Or am I mis-remembering?

AniHawk

sonic boom just looks fucking boring, but there are some segments with some actual platforming, so at least it won't be as bad as knack.

i'll report my findings later this week. looking forward to getting some time with the 3ds version, actually.

Tizoc

Signs you are getting too obsessed with Freedom Planet: you are Googling occurrences of its name within the past week, then going into 4chan archives just to see what they had to say. (Some genuine interest, particularly with a couple of WebMs, but also your typical 4chan "you're idiots paying $10 for a ROM hack" and "Sonic games and furries, sounds like autism central".)

Oh that reminds me when is Freedom Planet releasing? I should sign up for making the OT unless someone claimed it already?

Eh Sonic Boom Wii U might end up better by the time its released, though I do hope the 3DS ver. is as good as you're all expecting it to be since I'll be getting that.

No, an honest-to-God voice chat. Although Skype does supply text chat, for those without mics to still interact with those who do.

For whatever abysmal reason Skype is banned in mi country :V

I did get an IRC app for my iphone though and saved #SonicGAF.
Will try to chat with you guys during E3.
Sooooooooooo looking forward to the pointless reaction threads on GAF.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have a shift at the hospital until 12PM and I have some shopping to do, so I'll be missing some of Microsoft's conference anyway. Dunno if I'll go to the gym during EA's or not. Maybe I will.

Will def stick around for Ubisoft and Sorny. Nintendo's a given.

sonic boom just looks fucking boring, but there are some segments with some actual platforming, so at least it won't be as bad as knack.

i'll report my findings later this week. looking forward to getting some time with the 3ds version, actually.
Coooool. Report back on the 3DS version. That one looks interesting.

Falk

that puzzling face
Recording session with Basiscape at 1-5pm EST (yeah those guys are troopers and will make 2AM++ Japan time) but I'll be around otherwise idling in #noshgaf

Lost World's greatest strength is it's control system, which they finally got right at the cost of a teensy learning curve. People just complain because it the game explained itself poorly through questionable level design.

The next game should be LW style, not Uncolorations. Just fix the level design (and lack of tutorial nonsense) and you're golden.

The control system is stupid because parkour is supposed to be about freedom of movement and all Lost World was about was constricting the player, as usual. Too linear, too scripted. Parkour was only useful in specific locations where they wanted you to use it, and in the specific ways it was programmed to be used.

Half the fun of Assassin's Creed or Mirror's Edge was using their parkour systems to go anywhere and do anything, basically (especially in AC, where that was kind of the whole point).

Like I've said a few times now, what Sonic 4 was to classic Sonic games, Sonic Lost World is to Super Mario Galaxy. It's obvious they were trying to pantomime something they didn't have any real understanding of.

That isn't going to change if they make another one in that style.

That's why Boost Sonic worked so well, because racing games benefit from that type of linearity. It's more about practice and execution. Memorization and linearization is a benefit, because you can focus more on nailing a maneuver a certain way. Like a race car track.

Wasn't Funky Rustic (e.g. Alexander Brandon's peeps) involved in the music? Or am I mis-remembering?
If this is true (and Schala's implying it is), then that's pretty depressing. It should have awesome Deus Ex or Unreal Tournament-style module music, not generic filler.

Oh that reminds me when is Freedom Planet releasing? I should sign up for making the OT unless someone claimed it already?
You should, because it's currently supposed to come out June 30th!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I could be wrong. I did hear they were involved in "audio". Didn't say what kind of audio, and I haven't done much in terms of VGM reviews/news in a few months due to busy scheduling and I'm not in a position to ask.

If they are doing the music, I hope it's as quality stuff as their other stuff.

edit: Now going over gameplay videos of Generations I'm actually getting legit angry now instead of just ambivalent.

Seriously, was there anything fundamentally wrong with this?

2015 Sonic really better deliver. :|
[insert sarcastic comment about boost2win here where the commenter in question probably doesn't know how much time it takes to actually get that good + memorizing that stuff]

Falk

that puzzling face
I could technically ask Alex directly hahaha but I don't want to put him in a position where he's tempted to reveal stuff that isn't public knowledge, or meant for public knowledge yet. E3 is just around the corner anyway and we'll probably know more from the show floor.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I could technically ask Alex directly hahaha but I don't want to put him in a position where he's tempted to reveal stuff that isn't public knowledge, or meant for public knowledge yet. E3 is just around the corner anyway and we'll probably know more from the show floor.
Yeah, that info usually comes out around this time.

It's certainly not Sonic Team, but I think most of us called it based on the sound anyway.

Dayum, OK someone give me an OT subtitle suggestion.
Mind you I'm on media Blackout. I'll give the demo a replay but I don't know much about the full game ^^;
You and ShadowHog should work together on the OT, then. That way it's fair and it covers the game in a more direct way than just doing a barebones OT.

Claim the OT in the OT |OT| thread.

Tizoc

Yeah, that info usually comes out around this time.

It's certainly not Sonic Team, but I think most of us called it based on the sound anyway.

You and ShadowHog should work together on the OT, then. That way it's fair and it covers the game in a more direct way than just doing a barebones OT.

Claim the OT in the OT |OT| thread.

Doing that now, but I do feel that Shadow Hog should make the OT though since he's followed the game more.
I'm interested in it because visually it looks like an actual Genesis era game

Unfortunately, the only subtitle that I've come up with so far is "Dogs and Cats, Fighting Together, Mass Hysteria". And while I'm not one to put down a good Ghostbusters reference, it kinda leaves Lilac high and dry.

I suppose you could also go with "Ridin' Up Walls".

Tizoc

I don't see the issue with you two working together on the thread, then. You have the interest, and Shadow Hog has the info.

There are new guidelines in the OT |OT|'s OP with respect to making them: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=114428311&postcount=2081. These should be publicized more, to be honest.

Thanks for the link I added Shadow Hog to my post. Shadow Hog, if you can do a quick write up about the gameplay and send it to me, I can just tidy it up for the OT.

It'll have the simple structure:
Banner
Basic info
Introduction
Gameplay
Characters
Media
Reviews

Tizoc

I want to chime in and say that reading old fan translations for various manga is a pain especially when the fan translators opted for translating the text as what they read as in Japanese.
Thankfully various fan translations since the past year have improved making reading the text bubbles much more fun for various series (Fort of the Apocalypse, JoJo Part 4 to name a few).

I am bummed though that only the first 2 volumes of FMA is available on Kindle and it doesn't seem like Viz has the series available for reading digitally, nor is it on CrunchyRoll.

Speaking of which, FMA is still freakin' good, I LOVE the artstyle and Hiromu Arakawa draws the hottest female characters in a manga, even if they're background characters lol.
A shame that BRIAN BLESSED doesn't voice Major Armstrong in the anime...I mean HE IS THE PERFECT FIT!

To tie into the FMA talk above Sonic Boom is like the horrific result of Sega of America trying to resurrect their take on the franchise through Hedgehog transmutation.
This isn't what we wanted!

Dario ff

Banned
boosting conversation
I think boosting in the ground is a bad mechanic to be honest. It's just too overpowered as it is to have any meaningful obstacles/enemies in the way. Spindashing and being able to roll when running at high speeds would be a fitting replacement, without being as much of a safety net. On top of that they could get some sort of momentum mechanic back with the excuse of physics, instead of setting Sonic at top speed just by pressing X.
And get rid of the stupid music filter while you're at it.

Air boosting however is the shit, and it's a great risk/reward mechanic and one of the most fun things to pull off consistently well in the game. The skill cap on air boosting is so high that you get insane videos like that where they're able to pull off some great shortcuts with just slight angle adjustments on the control stick. That's some great use of precise analogue input.

I think Lost World was getting half this right with the whole run button thing, but it really needs those speed values to be at least 2x/3x higher.

BlackJace

The boss battles too, holy fuck. They have the same gimmick.

>grab enemy with energy lasso
>swing it in the air; it's like a helicopter ��
>throw it at boss

"NICE THROW BUDDY"

repeat until Wii U explodes

Sonic's new defining trait is his energy lasso and not his speed, the quicker we accept this the less painful things will be.
I'm sure what speed he has comes from the lasso's mighty power.

I think boosting in the ground is a bad mechanic to be honest. It's just too overpowered as it is to have any meaningful obstacles/enemies in the way. Spindashing and being able to roll when running at high speeds would be a fitting replacement, without being as much of a safety net. On top of that they could get some sort of momentum mechanic back with the excuse of physics, instead of setting Sonic at top speed just by pressing X.
And get rid of the stupid music filter while you're at it.

Air boosting however is the shit, and it's a great risk/reward mechanic and one of the most fun things to pull off consistently well in the game. The skill cap on air boosting is so high that you get insane videos like that where they're able to pull off some great shortcuts with just slight angle adjustments on the control stick. That's some great use of precise analogue input.

I think Lost World was getting half this right with the whole run button thing, but it really needs those speed values to be at least 2x/3x higher.

Too bad the spindash in Lost World sucks.

I hop on MK8 and see Owl's possible serial killer mii playing sonic lost world

owl pls we love you you dont have to do this

I thought to myself in a state of confused boredom as I put in the disc "I sure hope no one comes online and witnesses this shameful act", you just had to stick your nose in where it didn't belong JC, If I could silence you across the internet I would.

After witnessing the Sonic Boom footage I needed to refresh my memory on Lost World's mediocrity, before even getting to play a stage I was besieged by the game trying to force items that I never use into my inventory that I forget exists, it does this after every stage.
Then I remembered how the Ice stages prevent you from using the spindash, the way areas transition through a faded out screen that places you in an entirely different environment altogether and how clunky the attacking options are.

Still seems better than Boom, I mean at least it looks nice.

PKrockin

Speaking of Lost World like it's a soul crushing pit of unending agony is harsh. It's a mediocre game. It still looks nice, running at 1080/60 and has a good soundtrack. The level design completely failing to capitalize on the mechanics resulted in mostly just a bland experience rather than the torture of Secret Rings or Shadow.

Top Bottom