• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

BlackJace

It's because many of us are used to the traditional style of playing video games with a regular controller, finding stuff like gyro controls to be needless and unnecessary.

Control inputs have been evolving since the first consoles. Had we kept the mindset you suggest, we might not have the controllers we have today.

"Triggers? How needless and unnecessary!"

Gyro is typically the most shoehorned in of gimmicky control options, the only game I played where I actually appreciated its application over the stick was Wind Waker HD since aiming was a pain otherwise.
Then Kirby Triple Deluxe took things back to the status quo of "nuts to gyro".

But as long as it ain't forced then i'm fine, I just find it particularly bothersome on the 3DS since it conflicts with the whole 3D thing as well as waving around the screen I'm trying to stay focused on in general.

will wait for direct obviously, but zero confidence this won't end up a small gimmicky e-shop title you can buy for $9.99 on your dead console of choice a year from now, and not a real return to form like Star Fox 64
This still sounds better than everything* the series has done since in a post Lylat Wars World.

*Assault multiplayer aside of course

Tizoc

Control inputs have been evolving since the first consoles. Had we kept the mindset you suggest, we might not have the controllers we have today.

Well what I meant was in terms of how we're used to controllers with actual tangible buttons as opposed to body movement which just seems as an unneeded hassle.

Tizoc

So will Devil's Third actually manage to sell enough to cover its production values?
As is TBH, the Wii U is 50-50 on if it can recover by 2015/2016...

edit: Also seeing that Toad spin off game...it saddens me that SEGA can't make a Tails game with focus on exploration and platforming actually freakin' work.

Regardless of the presentations, I'm gonna come out of this E3 with several games I'm interested in playing across the various consoles, and in that regard its a success

2014 lookin' kinda lol though...at least there's Bayo and Smash(hopefully)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hey you know that joke where I import something or play something I'd imported and then a few days later or a few weeks later, it's announced for localization?

I just fucking started Fantasy Life Link last night.

But yeah, it's stupid that they aren't including this stuff in their presentation at all. Should've had separate events for it.

Sciz

Nintendo still can't put out enough to carry the Wii U all by themselves, but god damn if everything they are doing doesn't look fantastic.

Razzer

Nintendo still can't put out enough to carry the Wii U all by themselves, but god damn if everything they are doing doesn't look fantastic.

Splatoon was the biggest surprise for me, I joined just after Zelda tho, i hear that was good.

But yeah Splatoon looks like a ton of fun.

BlackJace

Hey you know that joke where I import something or play something I'd imported and then a few days later or a few weeks later, it's announced for localization?

I just fucking started Fantasy Life Link last night.

But yeah, it's stupid that they aren't including this stuff in their presentation at all. Should've had separate events for it.

Import and play a Gundam EXVS game pls Schala

AniHawk

that wasn't the best presentation in the world (they still managed to slow it down somehow), but the types of games shown off were a real breath of fresh air compared to almost everything else at the show.

Owl's worst Smash nightmares have come true.

I knew it was coming but it still underwhelms, they managed to make Miis even lamer than I'd have thought, at the very least I was expecting some Wii series moveset antics and not a choice of three so far generic looking movesets like a poor man's Little Mac, Marth and Samus in particular. /rant
Thank the Goddess for Palutena to wash away the sins of mii.

Just because controls have been evolving doesn't mean we have to think they're good. I'm never going to buy a Wii because of those controllers, and the only reason I haven't already chucked out the idea of buying a Wii U is because of the controller.

I've never liked motion controls, and I honestly hope that I'm not forced to use gyro controls for Star Fox.

BlackJace

Just because controls have been evolving doesn't mean we have to think they're good. I'm never going to buy a Wii because of those controllers, and the only reason I haven't already chucked out the idea of buying a Wii U is because of the controller.

I've never liked motion controls, and I honestly hope that I'm not forced to use gyro controls for Star Fox.

Owl made a point about that too. I understand where you're coming from; sometimes I just get confused when someone thinks unconventionally controlled games are automatically garbage tier :/

Anth0ny

Random question:

Lets say I import a Japanese 3DS. I'll have access to the Japanese eshop, right? And I can buy stuff with my Canadian credit card/information/address/etc.?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, for some reason the Japanese eShop accepts foreign credit cards but the North American one doesn't.

You can use Visa or Mastercard. I've heard of people using debit, but I don't like using debit for stuff because of fees (like, you know, eff CIBC and all that).

I like to opt for getting eShop cards for Play-Asia sometimes, though.

Gyro is typically the most shoehorned in of gimmicky control options, the only game I played where I actually appreciated its application over the stick was Wind Waker HD since aiming was a pain otherwise.

But as long as it ain't forced then i'm fine, I just find it particularly bothersome on the 3DS since it conflicts with the whole 3D thing as well as waving around the screen I'm trying to stay focused on in general.
Wait, I actually liked the Gyro in Kirby because you can recalibrate it all the time. Wasn't super-super poop.

I liked it more than some of the gyro in some mobile games I've been playing.

Anth0ny

Yeah, for some reason the Japanese eShop accepts foreign credit cards but the North American one doesn't.

You can use Visa or Mastercard. I've heard of people using debit, but I don't like using debit for stuff because of fees (like, you know, eff CIBC and all that).

I like to opt for getting eShop cards for Play-Asia sometimes, though.

Awesome. Thanks!

PKrockin

Gyro was good in RE: Revelations, Nintendoland Zelda and Metroid, and OoT3D. Anyway, if it's straight up classic Star Fox and not some weird new gameplay concept it's almost certainly optional.

Wii U in 2015 sounds great, 2014 looks pretty desolate besides Smash.

Tizoc

These Cat GIFs are too freakin' adorable
tumblr_mlon76MRtt1rj3x28o1_250.gif

tumblr_mlon76MRtt1rj3x28o2_250.gif

Wait, I actually liked the Gyro in Kirby because you can recalibrate it all the time. Wasn't super-super poop.

I liked it more than some of the gyro in some mobile games I've been playing.
Well it works well enough but each section that involved it just seemed to be in there because gyro was available.
While most gyro stuff was stuck in those side rooms you had those tilt gondola things part way through stages and it was just kind of slooow in a sort of flow breaking way (actually I just wing powered past one at least if I recall), I mean I know it's Kirby and all but as far as sudden gyro platforms go I thought something like NSMBWii handled it better.

It's not like a blight upon the game, it's just a case where I really didn't find it to add anything at all.
Then again I like the often loathed Fluzzard in SMG2 so yeah, it's all down to how these sort of things are used and how I personally respond to them I guess.

Gyro was good in RE: Revelations, Nintendoland Zelda and Metroid, and OoT3D. Anyway, if it's straight up classic Star Fox and not some weird new gameplay concept it's almost certainly optional.

Wii U in 2015 sounds great, 2014 looks pretty desolate besides Smash.

I'll support those Nintendo Land choices, F-Zero and Octopus Dance were shaky as hell but those two and to a lesser extent the Takamaru game weren't too bad.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I dunno. Bebpo, Aeana and I are like the only people on GAF who aren't overpraising it because it has problems.

- quests are boring, but the in-mission stuff is kinda ok because they're timed
- control scheme on PSP is pretty garbage. the DD version they let us have for Vita let us remap the controls.
- towns are basically hubs where you get your fetch quests from
- world map is filler
- RTS segments are garbage
- game is broken anyway because you can kill everything with kill sights or stun them and get rid of them; combat has little depth
- difficulty is unbalanced
- (neutral) you need to play the game twice to get the true ending but you have NG+
- you should probably read up on the fabula nova crystallis stuff for this
- looks great, sounds great, great VA

Everyone else who's played it seemed to love it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So, like, I almost got an asthma attack at the gym. I kinda knew what was happening before, so I stopped before it got serious.

Got to lie down and have some juice. I'm still kinda lightheaded and a little headachy, but I'm okay.

Broken/shallow/unbalanced/poorly designed gameplay ranks pretty low on things that ruin games for most people, I think.
This is why I don't post much on gaming proper anymore.

BlackJace

So, like, I almost got an asthma attack at the gym. I kinda knew what was happening before, so I stopped before it got serious.

Got to lie down and have some juice. I'm still kinda lightheaded and a little headachy, but I'm okay.

This is why I don't post much on gaming proper anymore.

Yikes, the exact thin happened to my mother a week ago, glad you're okay.

Top Bottom