• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

welp, Halo 1-3 MP coming back in 1080p/60fps/dedicated servers for $60 pretty much sealed up a Xbox One purchase for me this year, if SUDDENLY KAMIYA AND PHANTOM DUST didn't already do that.

you win this round, phil spencer

So... Microsoft's conference:

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - don't give a shit
Forza - don't give a shit
Assassin's Creed Unity - looks neat
Sunset Overdrive - looks ok; not sold yet
Ori and the Blind Forest - looks neat
Halo Halo Halo - don't give a shit shit shit
Project Spark - don't give a shit
Rise of the Tomb Raider: starring Megan Fox as Lara Croft: don't give a shit
Fable Legends - don't give a shit
The Division - looks neat
Kamiya Dragon Thing - don't give a shit

Meh.

Also Crackdown 3. But a CG trailer featuring destructible buildings for a game that most likely won't have that level of destructibility (outside of scripted moments, if it has those) isn't a whole lot to go on.

Ori looks a lot like Dust. I'm pretty sure Noogy isn't part of that company, though.

So... Microsoft's conference:

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - don't give a shit
Forza - don't give a shit
Assassin's Creed Unity - looks neat
Sunset Overdrive - looks ok; not sold yet
Ori and the Blind Forest - looks neat
Halo Halo Halo - don't give a shit shit shit
Project Spark - don't give a shit
Rise of the Tomb Raider: starring Megan Fox as Lara Croft: don't give a shit
Fable Legends - don't give a shit
The Division - looks neat
Kamiya Dragon Thing - don't give a shit

Meh.

1340615909484.jpg

Kidding.

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Tizoc

I thought Sony's was 8 hours from now did they move it up or something? Ah well will go to bed soon not feeling like staying up for Sony's conference.

Razzer

"We want the player to be able to experiment and find different paths in the environment."

"So for the skilled player, they might find the quickest, the fastest, the most rewarding path for them. Somebody with less skill might find a safer, longer route."

Remind anyone of anything?

It's Kamiya and Platinum plus Dragons or something so I have immediate interest on that alone but man, fuck CG trailers.
It's doubly as annoying in this case as the CG trailer didn't really give much indication on how the game is supposed to play leading everyone to come up with their own theories.

13:21 ProfBeef: i wonder what would happen if someone went and pulled some Ursula shit from Little Mermaid and took away schala's tome-writing ability
13:22 Naoshi: wow you just spoiled the surprise reveal of my sonicgaf movie
13:22 Naoshi: that was the plot!
13:22 ProfBeef: like, holybaikal makes a deal and goes "eheheheh i'll give you an hd remaster of suikoden 2 with all the bells and whistles and things about games you love but no more tomes"
13:23 ProfBeef: then schala can only speak in one-liners or something
13:23 DBean: Oh dear.
13:24 Naoshi: LOL
13:24 ProfBeef: Then you see HB posting all these essays about cuteness and shit
13:25 ProfBeef: i forget how the rest of the movie goes
13:26 ProfBeef: all i know is that HB will get stabbed by a cool boat
13:26 ProfBeef: and then schala gets her tomes back
13:26 ProfBeef: happily ever after, etc

Sciz

"We want the player to be able to experiment and find different paths in the environment."

"So for the skilled player, they might find the quickest, the fastest, the most rewarding path for them. Somebody with less skill might find a safer, longer route."

Remind anyone of anything?

People were calling Mirror's Edge the first good 3D Sonic game back at the time.

13:21 ProfBeef: i wonder what would happen if someone went and pulled some Ursula shit from Little Mermaid and took away schala's tome-writing ability
13:22 ProfBeef: like, holybaikal makes a deal and goes "eheheheh i'll give you an hd remaster of suikoden 2 with all the bells and whistles and things about games you love but no more tomes"
13:24 ProfBeef: Then you see HB posting all these essays about cuteness and shit

I'd watch it. Twice.

So.. Sony's Conference:

Entwined: looked awesome.
LittleBIGPlanet 3: looked awesome: wish I liked the series though.
Bloodborne: looked awesome
GrimFandango Remake: awesome, need more info though.
No Man's Sky: looked awesome
TLOU PS4: don't care'; lawl spoilery trailer though.
GTAV PS4: don't care
Batman Arkham Knight: looked awesome
Uncharted 4: looked ok, need more info

Incredibly incosnistent, had boring tv/movie talk and some really jarring audio issues but still had some genuinely awesome looking games.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I didn't finish my shift until 12 and then I had to do some shopping so I didn't get home until like an hour into the MS conference. I saw the tail end of it and it looked pretty neat! I need to watch the Sunset Overdrive stuff.

Sony's conference did what Sony's conference always does and had some highlights and some lowlights and some "please stop your pacing is awful"-lights.

EA was zzzzzzzzzz.

Ubisoft was Ubisoft-tier.

- Interested in AC Unity. But I like Assassin's Creed and I've always wanted the series to go to France, so yep!
- Ori and the Blind Forest looks really good. Phantom Dust is being brought back. Threes is going to Xbox One, but I can get that on mobile anyway.
- Scalebound looks fucking awesome, but I wanna see gameplay.
- Entwined looks interesting. ABZU looks really interesting and I'd like to feel how it plays. I hope it's available on the show floor or something for people to give impressions.
- Bloodborne, y'all.
- Grim Fandango remastered for consoles and possibly PC.
- Hohokum finally has a release date and Guilty Gear Xrd does too!

Kinda about all I can remember.

I love you, Beef. I'd pay you to direct that. Seriously would.

We need some actors for this. GAF casting call.

Tizoc

GRIM FANDANGO REMAKE
GRIM FANDANGO REMAKE
GRIM FANDANGO REMAKE

FUCK YOUR UNCHARTED, FUCK YOUR BEAST SOULS

FUCK YOU SONY FOR STARTING YOUR DAMN CONFERENCE WHILE I WAS ASLEEP, BUT BLESS YOU A MILLION TIMES FOR THIS

Village

i liked the xbox conference more than sony, they had more stuff that looked interesting in a more condensed fashion.

The only sony exclusive thing I was super hype for was a movie about ratchet and clank. And that was a movie.

AniHawk

so i went to the sony conference. it was my first shot at such a thing. sony bused a lot of people in from various hotels, but i wound up driving some coworkers there. it fairly organized. after you sign in, you get a wrist band, and then you can mingle for about two hours, have free food truck food and free beer and soda and water. saw feep during this segment.

about half an hour before the show, people begin heading into the stadium where the conference was. then we got to sit in these tiny seats built probably for audiences in the 50s or 60s. it was like being in the back seat of a car where the driver had pushed the seat back. or at least it felt like that to me.

it was well air conditioned, which was nice considering there were quite a lot of people in there. then the conference happened. i don't know what it was like for people watching at home, but the biggest, and i mean the biggest reaction was for gta v- something that dumbfounded me. grim fandango was a good second place (and even i threw in some applause for that one, since i've never been able to play it).

this was a better conference than last year, but it was so much more difficult to watch. here's how i would have done it.

0:00-0:05: showcase oreshika. make an event of it. then spend the other time showing off a sizzle reel of vita games
0:06-0:14: reveal persona 5, talk about the longevity of the ps3, and show a sizzle reel of upcoming ps3 games
0:15-0:23: use this as a springboard to talk about playstation (vita) tv, and how all those games will be available through playstation now. also, talk a bit about playstation now.
0:24-0:34: reveal littlebigplanet 3 and bloodborne or something previously unseen in the transition to ps4 games. showcase one game with exclusive content (destiny)
0:35-0:40: sizzle reel of ps4 games due in 2014. this is where they should have shown stuff like year old games like the last of us and gta v. this is also where a lot of those third-party games could have gone.
0:41-0:47: also talk about indies in a broad sense. once more, focus on a game instead of a couple. then if there's time, do another sizzle reel of upcoming indie games.
0:48-0:50: thanks for coming, but in case you weren't aware, we're making uncharted 4.

first off, it cuts out the really boring parts, like the absolutely pointless powers segment, or the things that seem out of place like the ratchet & clank movie trailer (and talk of a semi-remake of the first game, but no footage). second, it gives a sense of weight to certain things, so that the audience is wowed by the big stuff. otherwise, there's a big sense of diminishing returns. am i supposed to be super excited for abzu? or no man's sky? or batman? or gta v again? or metal gear solid v? because these games received about the same level of attention. finally, it offers a sense of variety, and should give off a feeling that there's a lot more than what there was. i mean this conference was one hundred and ten goddamn minutes long holy shit. it could have been half as long and twice as good.

i didn't see all of the microsoft show, but i will say that from what i saw, it appealed much closer to my sensibilities. i came away from the two feeling that microsoft was light and fun and that most of what sony was showing was way too fucking serious. it started with serious destiny then serious infamous dlc then serious the order then serious bloodborne. i actually smiled a bit during the dead island 2 trailer before i realized what it was. and i genuinely liked the lbp3 stuff because of the fuckups and that the game looked to be more a platformer than its direct predecessor. outside of those moments, it was back to stupidly dark shit for no reason, and it could have been broken up by showcasing some of those vita titles which were more lighthearted.

and worse, the conference ended on that uncharted 4 trailer the way it did. i'm not a huge fan of uncharted, but i understand the series to be a sort of indiana jones kind of affair. now it looks like it's turning even way too dark for what was intended for the series. how has this company had four shots at making a fun swashbuckling adventure and failed every god damn time to nail down the tone.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
God, what was it like during the Powers segment? People I was around were pretty annoyed with it.

GTA5 was met with positivity. But the thing is, like... I dunno. These games were released last year and I feel like a PS4/Xbox One port or whatever would probably be better as a blog post, and save space for other things that Sony had to show off.

There are quite a few Vita games coming out this year, and I'm really surprised they only named four of them, starting with fucking Tales of Hearts R (yeah, I know it won JRPG Vita, but whatever), of all things. As niche as a lot of the Vita games are (because everyone's clamouring for a smaller pot this time around), I'm just surprised they didn't have anything to show outside of indies that are multiplatform. I should be surprised that no Sony-based western studio (or other Sony studios) wants to even bother with the thing, but look at the sales, etc. It's that you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. I like the Vita as a device. It's pretty neat. It's just a shame that it's starting to develop this reputation for skeevy games (and some of these games are mechanically sound enough to not even need that kind of stuff). The very fact that they renamed the Vita TV to the PlayStation TV and that they didn't show much of the Vita at all kinda shows me how much faith they have in their own product, so why should the people who they're marketing to care, either?

Sony's conferences are always longer than they should be, and the pacing's been off for years now. So the conference being structured this way wasn't necessarily a surprise, but it was disappointing how it puttered out of steam towards the end because they didn't schedule things accordingly. Some demos also ran too long followed by the game's trailer, which was reminiscent of ModNation Racers' demo a few years ago. I had hoped that they would've learned from that, but I guess not. Otherwise, I do think it was a good conference, but the mood went like a zig-zag. Hope they show more stuff later this week and at Gamescom, but we'll see.

How did the audience like Jack Tretton's new replacement?

Every single conference suffered from mood whiplash though. It was super-weird. I did like MS's quite a bit, and a lot of the stuff that they're putting out seem to be available on PC too. Cuphead looks cool and that Ori game looked neat and I can get them on PC for now.

Edit: wonder if LBP3 is really developed by Sumo Digital, then, like the rumours were saying a few months ago.

Tizoc

Yo Schala, Grim Fandango's heading to the Vita! That's one western game on it!
They could've made it PS4 only, but nope, PSVita too gurl!
GRIM FANDANGO ON THE GO, BABY!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Tim Schafer implied that it'd be on PC later on, too. And I was referring to Sony's own studios as opposed to third parties. If you want to sell your product, you need to start doing it by selling it yourself. And there are other western games provided by indie studios, so I'm not complaining that the platform has no western support. It doesn't have a lot of Sony's own support.

Again, it's like you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. Do we put resources into making a PS3 or PS4 game that will more than likely sell, or do we put resources into a Vita game that will help market the hardware and sell but there's the possibility we won't get a substantial return on our investment?

AniHawk

God, what was it like during the Powers segment? People I was around were pretty annoyed with it.

i've actually read almost every issue of powers, and i'm pretty familiar with brian michael bendis, so i was more invested in actually seeing him out there on stage than a lot of people in the audience and good lord i wished i had waited to use the bathroom during this segment instead of leaving during the far cry 4 demo.

i am pretty sure everyone was bored to sleep. there was just no noise until he finally left.

GTA5 was met with positivity. But the thing is, like... I dunno. These games were released last year and I feel like a PS4/Xbox One port or whatever would probably be better as a blog post, and save space for other things that Sony had to show off.

i agree. there was a lot of stuff to show and that's neat, but everything was treated like it was a big event, which hurt the importance of the stuff that may have needed to be treated with importance. i think last year it worked when they showcased the indie games only because sony really wasn't showing off a ton of other stuff, so it felt big. if they did that same thing this yea (without the precedent of having done it last year), i think it would have been lost in this giant, bloated beast.

There are quite a few Vita games coming out this year, and I'm really surprised they only named four of them, starting with fucking Tales of Hearts R (yeah, I know it won JRPG Vita, but whatever), of all things. As niche as a lot of the Vita games are (because everyone's clamouring for a smaller pot this time around), I'm just surprised they didn't have anything to show outside of indies that are multiplatform. I should be surprised that no western studio wants to even bother with the thing, but look at the sales, etc. It's that you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. I like the Vita as a device. It's pretty neat. It's just a shame that it's starting to develop this reputation for skeevy games (and some of these games are mechanically sound enough to not even need that kind of stuff). The very fact that they renamed the Vita TV to the PlayStation TV and that they didn't show much of the Vita at all kinda shows me how much faith they have in their own product, so why should the people who they're marketing to care, either?

it really sucks for the few people who are out there still supporting it both on the consumer and publisher ends of things. i think there's hope the vita tv will do something about software sales, but if they're dropping the name from the release in america, i don't think it's going to inspire people to actually purchase vita titles.

Sony's conferences are always longer than they should be, and the pacing's been off for years now. So the conference being structured this way wasn't necessarily a surprise, but it was disappointing how it puttered out of steam towards the end because they didn't schedule things accordingly. Some demos also ran too long followed by the game's trailer, which was reminiscent of ModNation Racers' demo a few years ago. I had hoped that they would've learned from that, but I guess not. Otherwise, I do think it was a good conference, but the mood went like a zig-zag. Hope they show more stuff later this week and at Gamescom, but we'll see.

How did the audience like Jack Tretton's new replacement?

i don't think they did. he came across very stiff at best and not genuine at worst. there were a few laughs at one joke, but i can't remember what it was. boyes had the most responses all conference.

Every single conference suffered from mood whiplash though. It was super-weird. I did like MS's quite a bit, and a lot of the stuff that they're putting out seem to be available on PC too. Cuphead looks cool and that Ori game looked neat and I can get them on PC for now.

Edit: wonder if LBP3 is really developed by Sumo Digital, then, like the rumours were saying a few months ago.

yeah microsoft had their serious stuff, but also some lighter things for variety. there's some games with cinematic flair and some more mechanically based ones too. it did remind me a lot more of the early xbox 360 era than the late 360 era or even what was most of the original xbox.

Tizoc

Yo remember Schala's post on
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=115174753&postcount=4191
?

Yeah uh don't go seeing the last few pages of the Playstation thread :V

Tim Schafer implied that it'd be on PC later on, too. And I was referring to Sony's own studios as opposed to third parties. If you want to sell your product, you need to start doing it by selling it yourself. And there are other western games provided by indie studios, so I'm not complaining that the platform has no western support. It doesn't have a lot of Sony's own support.

Again, it's like you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. Do we put resources into making a PS3 or PS4 game that will more than likely sell, or do we put resources into a Vita game that will help market the hardware and sell but there's the possibility we won't get a substantial return on our investment?

Ah I misunderstood you, apologies.
I've just come to accept that Sony has 0 interest in that little fella and accept the games XSEED and other third parties are releasing, which so far I have greatly enjoyed.

I don't think there any First Pary Sony games I want though...unless Sony get the Crash license and we get a decent Crash platformer.

Tizoc

Like Monster Monpiece

Well TBH I'm tolerant of this one
Akibas-Trip-2-PS-Vita-Japanese-Retail-Cover.jpg

Because of how it is satircal of the various anime tropes and it has you going around as Kenshiro ATATATATATAing around Akiba.

...but I mainly meant games from XSEED or NISA for example, like DanganRonpa and Brandish.

Don't go putting me on the same level as those desperate shills mang.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Both of those games are quite silly. I'm not getting either. They aren't directed towards me, and there's an audience for it who genuinely do like it. There are folks who do like the mechanics bits of those games, so I'm not quick to judge folks who do want to get them. If they like it, whatever. It's not my business.

I just wish that there were more Japanese-developed games on Vita being brought over that didn't focus on that nonsense. And it seems like more games are either using anime tropes as a substitute for storytelling (Sen no Kiseki), or just resorting to racy content. I import games for Vita that generally avoid that trap, but the exchange rate from yen to Canadian dollars is pathetic, so I don't do it often.

i've actually read almost every issue of powers, and i'm pretty familiar with brian michael bendis, so i was more invested in actually seeing him out there on stage than a lot of people in the audience and good lord i wished i had waited to use the bathroom during this segment instead of leaving during the far cry 4 demo.

i am pretty sure everyone was bored to sleep. there was just no noise until he finally left.
I do think it would've been a neat idea to make the segment shorter, or dedicate a blog post to it, or even make their presence known at Comic-Con for it. I did kinda feel bad for him because he seems genuinely interested in his work, it's just... I don't think it was the right venue for it at all.

it really sucks for the few people who are out there still supporting it both on the consumer and publisher ends of things. i think there's hope the vita tv will do something about software sales, but if they're dropping the name from the release in america, i don't think it's going to inspire people to actually purchase vita titles.
Yeah, and at this point, if they don't put forth any sort of effort to market it at all somehow, then I feel like publishers would be stuck. Niche consumers will usually buy niche games. I've done it, and I'm sure a lot of people have done it here on GAF. If it's niche, we'll usually buy it. But what if that audience kinda wanes, or it doesn't feel like you're getting enough profit from it? Probably might not want to do as much anymore. I know it's still early in the generation for this sort of talk, but it's been a few years, and it seems like the device is just getting written off by its parent company.

Again, make me, as a consumer, care. That's why E3 isn't part of CES anymore. Video games became so big that it needed its own marketing venue to market products to me and whomever is watching entertainment segments of their news programs or reading the entertainment section of their newspaper. First impressions stick.

i don't think they did. he came across very stiff at best and not genuine at worst. there were a few laughs at one joke, but i can't remember what it was. boyes had the most responses all conference.
Yeah, and everyone knows who Boyes is with respect to PS4's marketing. This is the first time that a lot of us have seen the new guy (heck, I don't even remember his name), so it felt kind awkward. The body language was really stiff, and obviously it was because of nerves, but... mmm... Maybe next year.

yeah microsoft had their serious stuff, but also some lighter things for variety. there's some games with cinematic flair and some more mechanically based ones too. it did remind me a lot more of the early xbox 360 era than the late 360 era or even what was most of the original xbox.
That's exactly what I thought too. Maybe their marketing folks or the new people in charge finally realized what attracted people to the brand in the first place.

Tizoc

Both of those games are quite silly. I'm not getting either. They aren't directed towards me, and there's an audience for it who genuinely do like it. There are folks who do like the mechanics bits of those games, so I'm not quick to judge folks who do want to get them. If they like it, whatever. It's not my business.

I just wish that there were more Japanese-developed games on Vita being brought over that didn't focus on that nonsense. And it seems like more games are either using anime tropes as a substitute for storytelling (Sen no Kiseki), or just resorting to racy content. I import games for Vita that generally avoid that trap, but the exchange rate from yen to Canadian dollars is pathetic, so I don't do it often.
I rushed with my reply for his post, but XSEED have gotten some interesting titles coming to PSVita that seem to avoid what you mentioned you dislike. I think you saw their E3 thread line up.
Just checking but Sen no Kiseki is Trails in the Sky right? What titles in that series started using anime tropes?

Tizoc

Schalla, if you don't mind me asking, is there a good article online regarding the development of the Saturn? All I recall is it initially being 2D focused before being forced to have a 3D chip in it.

2Gq4ycz.png

Best thing to come out of E3 so far.

Dat green ass~

This theme is just hautningly good
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPgq1kywWLQ

...and I thought she was from France, shows how bad my ability to identify foreign words is :V

I don't remember the press conferences being so long, a few years back I recall it being like an hour for each, somehow I forgot about the change from last year where we started going for like 2 hours and it only hit me when I reached what would actually be the halfway point of Microsoft's shindig and realised I was in for the long haul.
I'm thinking this stuff is just too long, on the other side of the coin Nintendo's digital event may end up being too short for some peoples liking.
Didn't bother catching Sony's live so at least I could skip a few bits and pieces and cut down the running time, I'm feeling like I could've skipped a lot more.

Lmao vita and tlg

That is all

I was briefly shook when Vita was actually shown at the conference and then they were all like "lol you can use remote play" and I was wondering what I ever expected.

I'm kind of glad that despite really enjoying SotC I never had any interest in TLG judging from its original only footage some decade ago, it saves me from being strung along in the never ending saga that I can only imagine leads to disappointment.

Tizoc

Star Fox

/ded

Hrrm this actually got me to thinking
Upon putting up the Freedom Planet OT, I'm expecting to seeing some posters mess around there with the Sonic and furry jokes.
...and yet you would see non be applied to Star Fox, a Nintendo series.
Not saying that it should be nor do I even want there to be, but its just another 'proof' of the Nintendo Bias.

BlackJace

I'm actually amused at the disappointment of gyro controls, considering Starfox is actually a game that would benefit from it.

It's baffling that things that aren't traditionally controlled get shat on.

will wait for direct obviously, but zero confidence this won't end up a small gimmicky e-shop title you can buy for $9.99 on your dead console of choice a year from now, and not a real return to form like Star Fox 64

Tizoc

I'm actually amused at the disappointment of gyro controls, considering Starfox is actually a game that would benefit from it.

It's baffling that things that aren't traditionally controlled get shat on.
It's because many of us are used to the traditional style of playing video games with a regular controller, finding stuff like gyro controls to be needless and unnecessary.

Hrrm this actually got me to thinking
Upon putting up the Freedom Planet OT, I'm expecting to seeing some posters mess around there with the Sonic and furry jokes.
...and yet you would see non be applied to Star Fox, a Nintendo series.
Not saying that it should be nor do I even want there to be, but its just another 'proof' of the Nintendo Bias.

I think the difference is that it is much easier to shit on, be willfully ignorant about, and still pretend that Sonic never left the Shadow/06/Werehog stages than it is for Star Fox.

Top Bottom