• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

PKrockin

How coincidental that their Smash 4 designs are the just about the best those characters have ever looked.

I saw a partial LP of Knuckles Chaotix recently. What a bad game. It might be fun for a few laughs at how crazy it is, and the concept is unique, but the physics are so nonsensical and broken. And that level design is possibly the worst I've ever seen. There's no structure, there's no difference between worlds, everything is a confusing, samey maze of copy and pasted half-loops to slingshot up. Even the graphics and music are subpar.

screw some of these classes

sticking to weights and dance classes and taichi/karate/muaythai and yoga

first beef, then me...

who's next

we need a saviour

taic5X4x.jpeg

It was too good to pass up, Schala. Even if I am a bit late :p

I saw a partial LP of Knuckles Chaotix recently. What a bad game. It might be fun for a few laughs at how crazy it is, and the concept is unique, but the physics are so nonsensical and broken. And that level design is possibly the worst I've ever seen. There's no structure, there's no difference between worlds, everything is a confusing, samey maze of copy and pasted half-loops to slingshot up. Even the graphics and music are subpar.
Woah, woah, hold up there. Bizarre physics, yes. Terrible level layouts, yes. Indistinct stages that have at most one or two gimmicks to differentiate one from the other, totally.

But subpar music and graphics? Get outta here, man, if anything that's the part Chaotix absolutely nails. Just a shame about the game part of the game.

PKrockin

I was waiting for someone to call me out on that. The characters animate bizarrely and jerky (although I'm sure the broken physics make it look worse). The levels look like such a mishmash of indecipherable crap I'm not sure if that's the joke (chaotix) or if this is supposed to be some sort of abstact art. Either way it looks bad and adds to my confusion as I try to figure out where the player is and where he needs to go. As for the music, I just didn't care for most of the tracks. I liked a few but it was underwhelming.

I'm sure one thing we can all agree on is Vector's walk cycle being the best thing about any of Sonic's friends.

Knuckles Chaotix is just such a weird game. The player barely has control over anything, from the character select to the level select to the completely unpredictable physics.

Falk

that puzzling face
You're supposed to say "I hope you die in a barrel"

*dying seems to be a common trend in SonicGAF right now

Noi

Since E3 is over im gonna do the thing Schala said we should do

Top 5 games I'm most looking forward to with justification like we did last year: (In reverse order!)​
Games that barely didn't make the cut!
Grim Fandango Remastered - Like many, I've heard way too many good things about this game but never had the ability to play it. Most shocking reveal of all E3, imo.
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - I'm still iffy on Kojima's direction for the story, but the gameplay is as legit as ever. It'll be fun to fuck around with open-world metal gear.
Destiny - Already have a gang of bubs raring to play the game.
Final Fantasy VII G-Bike - The trailer for this looks legit. First mobile game I'm actually excited to get my hands on.
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - If only because I'd like to finally play this game in English sometime in the year of our lord 201X.

Actual list!

5. Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX
Having these HD collections for the KH games (and FFX/X-2) come out are basically wish fulfillment for me. I have vivid memories of myself as a teen being incredibly jealous of Japanese fans being able to enjoy complete/upgraded versions of my favorite Square games. I was legitimately happy when, last year, I got to play Kingdom Hearts Final Mix and beat up what at that point had been considered the hardest boss fight in the series. So finally getting to play these versions is something I've been looking forward to for a loooooong time. FFXII HD next pls.

4. LittleBigPlanet 3

I love LBP to bits, wonky physics and all. I hate to see this series get lambasted as it does simply for trying out different stuff. I wish more people got to try out the Vita game, as it's basically the best game in the series so far with the tightest controls and a campaign that actually demands some skill in platforming. The additional playable characters in 3 look to be changing things up a lot, plus you can easilly spot way more vertical layers in use at one time than we've ever had in the series.

If anything else, the one music track we've heard is already really catchy.

3. Assassin's Creed Unity
o5Y0qJ4.gif

I was ready to give AC a bit of a break despite how much I liked Black Flag, but everything they've said about Unity thus far has my appetite whet. Actual proper Co-op instead of just the Wolfpack mode is only icing on the cake.

2. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
Follow-up to one of my favorite new IPs of this (technically last) gen. Linking to that trailer is probably a spoiler. Everything I'm typing now is also a spoiler.
I NEED THIS SO I CAN FINALLY READ THOSE SPOILERS.
<- Not actually a spoiler.

1. Bloodborne
While Dark Souls II is pretty good, it's definitely banging against the limitations of last-gen and also had that distinct B-team feeling. Knowing that Miyazaki (the real mind behind Demon's Souls and Dark souls) has been working on this thing for years now, this laundry list of details and the soon-ish release date Fake edit: AND THIS GOD DAMN LEAKED TRAILER (that's probably down by the time anyone reads this) has me excited for Souls gameplay without the limitations of PS360 hardware. The real Souls starts here.

I don't have any particular order, and would rather list all the games that vaguely piqued my interest since I had a fairly low number anyway, but the games that looked neat:

Ori and the Sleeping Forest: Mostly for the art style. It looks a lot like Dust (despite Noogy not being on the team developing it), which was a pretty good-looking game (stiff NPC animations aside). Kinda want to know more about it in general. It's coming to PC, no need to buy an Xbox One, so I can safely get interested in this one without fretting over paying $400 for the price of entry.

Grim Fandango: It's LucasArts. I never played this one. eBay prices are obscene, from what I've heard, and there are compatibility issues beyond that. A remake gives me the chance to go completely around that and play it like I should've done at the time. So, in spite of not really being a new announcement, it's a very-much welcome one.

Batman: Arkham Knight: Okay, it's shallow, but my only real reason for caring here is "well Asylum and City were amazing, so I guess this will be too". I haven't been following this one closely at all; I just kind of expect it'll come out, I'll play it, and it'll be amazing yet again. (Batman's armor is rather over-designed, though.)

Splatoon: I didn't watch too much of the Treehouse footage for this, but it's probably the most inventive third-person shooter I've seen, with its focus on physically painting the map instead of just shooting at your opponents - and it's totally family-friendly, at that, which is kind of a rarity for this genre for some reason (what else is there, Ratchet and Clank? Always thought of those more as platformers...). Depending on the price, that could be awesome. Certainly one of the bigger surprises from the show, as far as "new IP from nowhere" goes.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: I have some trepidations about the plot (I'm not big on plots where Earth is destroyed; I have this issue where I can't stop thinking about it once it happens and it completely takes me out of it, which has prevented me from getting into some media I'd probably have otherwise highly enjoyed, like Hitchhiker's Guide). However, beyond that hang-up that I'm sure literally nobody else I know will have, this looks amazing. Stellar graphics, stellar sense of scale, same fairly-polished gameplay from the first Xenoblade... even still has the Nopon for some reason. I will probably be able to really get into this like I did Xenoblade, even in spite of my reservations about its opening.

Hyrule Warriors: I have literally never played a Dynasty Warriors game or spin-off game in my entire life. In spite of this, this game genuinely intrigues me. Basically a Zelda game that takes out the maze-like dungeons and instead focuses more on the combat, only with like a thousand enemies at once. I expect it'll get kinda samey after a while (isn't that a common complaint about Dynasty Warriors?), and it'll never have voice acting as amazing as Zhang Bao, but yeah, I think I'm interested.

Codename S.T.E.A.M.: I'm not usually big on strategy games, but this one looks fun. Kind of like a steampunky comic book take on Valkyria Chronicles (I've also heard comparisons to XCOM thrown out there). Plus, you get to play as a talking, bipedal lion with a gun. I'll gladly give this one a try if there's a demo - maybe even if there isn't one.

Mario Maker: ...ah, maybe? The concept has merit, but I actually didn't watch any of the Treehouse streams for the game.

Bayonetta 2: I have never played the first one. I was probably going to skip 2 because of this. With the announcement of a remake bundled with, I now literally have no excuse to do so. And I must admit, the game looks pretty stunning. I totally expect to suck at it, though; I'm not typically good at character action games.

Smash Bros.: Okay, I lied, there is a particular order: I saved the best for last. Granted, it's still got movement issues that Melee lacks, but screw it, it's a new Smash Bros., with several new reps I'm looking forward to spending some hours with (provided I ever tear myself away from the computer) - including strongly-rumored ones like the Chorus Men (how the heck will that even work?) or Shulk (not gonna lie, more interested in him bringing Xenoblade's soundtrack with him than anything else, although a buff-based character could be interesting, given that's typically the Monado's gimmick).

It shouldn't surprise anyone that I was basically glued to the Treehouse stream videos all week, heh.

i played the 3ds version of boom today and it was not what i was expecting. the concept is great, but the execution was lacking. every segment felt really closed off and simplistic. switching characters made very little sense and simply made it more difficult to get around the level. i felt like i was playing a licensed game versus a bad sonic game. even with bad sonic games there's a sort of misguided passion behind them.
To be fair, it basically is a licensed game. Based off of the cartoon series.

Which also looks terrible. jesus christ

Tizoc

Hmm my list of games I'm looking forward to is rather small:
Tomb Raider Guardian of Light Sequel

Cuphead

Grim Fandango

Games I'm looking forward to but don't have their consoles:
Everything on the Wii U

So we're shitting on Ms Pac Man Maze Madness now

I don't even know you guys anymore

Hey I never played hat game, but I had a blast with Pacman Championship Edition on PS3.

TheOGB

Banned
After Tuesday happened I forgot there were other companies and games at E3. I basically spent this whole week watching the Treehouse, so I've got some catching up to do.

Tizoc

Anyone read the latst issues of Sonic Universe and Sonic the Hedgehog?
I liked Universe more especially the firstfew pages
Bean being the voice of reason and the TMNT movie 2 reference were golden.
"THAT'S NOT HOW NINJA VANISH!"

Kart94

Banned
I am interested In Uncharted 4, Little Big Planet 3, Captain Toad, Smash Bros 4 and Arkham Knight.

More Uncharted can never be a bad thing. It is the closest we will get to a modern Indiana Jones game.

(If you saw my post before this edit, ignore me... I'm being depressing lately)

Top at E3:

Bayonetta 2: Character Action games are one of my favorite sub genres. I loved the hell out of Bayonetta back in 2009, and will be glad to get back into the world of Bayonetta come fall of 2014. Granted, I prefer the core gameplay of Devil May Cry 3 and 4 due to movement, movesets, etc, but when it comes to pure batshit spectacle, you can't do better than Bayonetta.
And now we get Bayonetta in a fuckin' mech and we get the first Bayonetta with bonus content for free!

Smash U: I've got a confession: I completely skipped the Wii. So other than playing at a friends house, I never played any of the gems on the Wii. That won't be the case this gen. I'll be smashing it up with Palutena, Link, Marth, Ike, Mario, and Luigi as my mains to start off with.

Zelda U: Okay, so it was a teaser, but the last time I played through a Zelda game was Wind Waker (gonna be picking up the HD version when I get a Wii U). I played a bit of Skyward Sword and I liked what I played, so I'm looking forward to playing the next iteration.

Scalebound: Hideki Kamiya is directing. I don't need another reason.

Ori and the Blind Forest: The feels I got from just watching the interactions between the big oaf and the little thing. And then at the end ;_;. But hearing about what the developers are saying, as JC said, it holds a lot of promise.

Mid tier

Halo 1 - 4 Master Chief collection: Halo 1 and 2 are mostly what I'm interested in. 60 fps in all its glory as well as a full remake for Halo 2.

Xenoblade X Chronicles: I've never played a Xenoblade game before, but between the combat, what we've seen of the world, etc. I'm intrigued.

"Ah, why not" tier:

Metal Gear Solid V: I fully expect Kojima to bumble his way through the very serious issues and themes he's taking on and will probably end up pissing me off because of it. But the gameplay looks solid, so why not?

Other:

Batman Arkham Knight... kinda interests me, but after Origins, I'm not sure about the whole "The world is 5 times bigger". A bigger open world is not always better, and Origins kinda proved that to me at least for this series. There was so much flipping empty space with nothing to do in Origins, and getting anywhere without fast travel was a massive drag.

Edit: Took out the snarkifying. Kinda beside the point.

1. Halo 1-4: The Master Chief Collection - In a year where the parade of big familiar franchises that could have easily came out in 2010 seemed more familiar than ever, I can't help but join in the warm glow of nostalgia. A little personal background: Halo is a series very near and dear to me. I still remember getting an Xbox on Christmas 2001 and playing co-op with my little brother. I remember the 2005-2006 days of coming home after school and playing Halo 2 with my friends all night long. I remember how godlike Halo 3's campaign was and I how I keep returning to it years later. It lost me with Reach, and Halo 4 is the FFXIII of that franchise, but the point is I grew up along this series and have a deep love for its foundations. Well now its coming back, better than ever. 1080p, 60fps, dedicated servers, holy shit ya'll. Halo CE with proper online, a dream come true. Halo 2 MP back like it always was. Halo 3 campaign faster, prettier, better than before. Also, Halo 4 is there for whatever reason. All for $60! I'm gonna have to buy a Xbone this year

2. Bayonetta 2: Bayonetta rides in a mecha, your argument is invalid.

3. Destiny: My hype for Bungie's new shooter has been like a roller coaster. First it was like "oooh Bungie shooter, looks like Halo, sounds like Halo too, get hype". Then a few months later it was like "uhhhhhh I don't really know what this game is? I can't contextualize any of this shit mods pls halp". THEN they released this explanatory video and I saw gameplay by people who didn't suck at the game and I was like, "ohhhh, I get it now, its like a sexy fusion of Halo, Borderlands, and MMOs, I'm down for this shit!" And that's where we are now.

4. Ori and the Blind Forest: The first thing anyone notices about the game its that its gorgeous. Gorgeous in a way a lot of the other pretty high tech AAA games weren't, in that kind of interesting Miyazaki way that gave me dem feels at the end.

But, if the interviews and developer demos are any indication, Ori and the Blind Forest isn't just a fancy little art game, but something with a solid old school playability underneath. The team at Moon Studios have been hard at work for 4 years polishing and tuning the game mechanics, crafting a Metroidvania game made entirely of unique art assets and tight play controls for pixel perfect platforming. There's a story to discover no doubt, but the world will also be filled with hidden secrets and platforming/puzzle challenges and various collectibles. Seems like my kind of game!

5. Super Smash Bros Wii U: Its not gonna be Melee, but it should at least be better than Brawl. That's all I ask. 60fps videos looks very enticing. Sonic may even be viable!

Honorable mentions:

-Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris: The sequel to the great Guardian of Light looks like more of the same, but with 4-player co-op and Generic Black Explorer Man. Arcadey combat, complex puzzles that require thought and teamwork, collectibles and upgrades to find, big set-piece moments every now and again. Works for me. Dibs on Generic Black Explorer Man.

-Uncharted 4: Uncharted 2 was one of my favorite games of 2009. The sequel in 2011 was meeeeeeh. The directors of UC2 went on to improve that formula with The Last of Us, my GOTY 2013. Now the directors/writers have killed/eaten/fired/gotten rid of the directors/writers of UC3 and are now heading up UC4. With all the skills and knowledge they learned from UC2/TLOU. Using the PS4 hardware. In 60fps. Yes, I have a good feeling about this.

-Arkham Knight: Arkham Asylum was one of my favorite games of 2009. The sequel in 2011 was meeeeeeesmerizing. Now the team behind both those games have been hard at work on the sequel since then, and it looks pretty awesome. That "PS4"(read: PC) gameplay that showed off was impressive as fuck. I'm not totally sold on the Batmobile, cuz why the fuck would I need a car when I can GLIDE OVER THE CITY OH SHIT MY NIGGA ITS BATMAN LOOK AT DAT BOY GLIDING ON SOME KNUCKLES TYPE SHIT, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. They already gave us two legitimately great games starring Batman, which is more than I thought possible for the longest time. Wish it was coming out this year.

-Cuphead: Similar to Ori and the Blind Forest, Cuphead also has a great presentation, this time with a Max Fleschier 1930s cartoon style of animation that I don't think anyone has ever really nailed before like this. But beneath the colorful exterior beats a Sega Genesis action game heart. The devs noted Gunstar Heroes, Mega Man, Castlevania, and Alien Soldier as inspirations, which are pretty all the right things you should say when promoting your boss fight-focused action platformer thing.

-Zelda U: That was pretty much a perfect tease/reveal. Aonuma said all the right things(going back to roots, less handholding, look at how gorgeous this open world is son), and after Link Between Worlds ended up being my favorite Zelda game in 20 years, I'm willing to believe him. The reveal of the gameplay looked fantastic, teased just enough about the world and the game to entice my interest, and now they don't have to say anything else about the game until 2015. Alright then.

-Grim Fandango HD: A remake of Tim Schafer's greatest game, out of fuckin' nowhere.

-Kirby and the Rainbow Curse: A sequel to greatest Kirby game, out of fuckin' nowhere.

-Scalebound: Don't know anything about it except its a Kamiya-directed action game. Those tend to turn out pretty ok, I think.

-Mortal Kombat X: I'm rooting for this, as Netherrealm Studios has had an upwards trajectory from Mortal Kombat to Injustice and now to this. It looks faster than MK9, has some interesting new gameplay hooks, and I'm always been a big fan of the universe(that's why Shaolin Monks was a favorite of mine, it took the universe and gave it a compelling beat'em'up engine beneath it). I never take this game as seriously as I do SF4, but I hope its a good fighter.

-Alien Isolation: We've had a million and one games inspired by 1986's "Aliens"(hell look at my #1 choice). Game devs see "popular movie with lots of aliens getting shot by machine guns! Shit yeah son, we can do that!" We dont get a lot of games inspired by 1979's "Alien", the equally great but totally different movie. Games can do the big blockbuster thrills stuff, but what about the small claustrophobic chills stuff? Can we do Ridley Scott's Alien justice in interactive media form? I sure hope so.

and a few others that slip my mind. I came out of this E3 the same way I always do: there are several video games in the immediate and far future that I'm interested in playing. Gee, video games sure are sweet.

Tizoc

Arkham Knight lets you drive the Batmobile. That's one reason I'm looking forward to its GotY edition when it goes on sale.

BlackJace

1. Super Smash Bros. U: Similar to what JC said, it' slooking like it won't be much like Melee, rather a distinct compromise between it and Brawl. I love the direction Sakurai is going with the character designs, stages, and overall presentation. I'm ready to fall in love with it all over again. The tournament was fucking bananas, and if the recent rumblings are true, Nintendo is finally taking steps to recognize, and hopefully bridge the competitive scene with the casual scene.

2. No Man's Sky: It looks very interesting. The seamless transition from space to another planet is something I don't think I've seen before. The UI looks nice and clean, and it looks like there's a focus on exploring planets as well.

3. Crackdown 3/Sunset Overdrive: Let's be honest, they're most likely going to play similarly. Both look to offer fun romps through a (hopefully) interesting and populated sandbox. The only problem seems to be my lack of an XBO though lol.

4. Bayonetta 2: This was going to be a "buy later" thing since I've only played the first one at a friend's house for a short while, but the announcement of a Double Pack cements it as a day one when I get my Wii U.

5. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse: Are you fucking serious? Shit came out of noooowhere. Instabuy.
I think CC is the second best Kirby game, behind SS, screw JC

6. Halo: The Master Chief Collection: Confession: I've only played Halo at friends' house a few times. Nothing more than that. This looks to be a perfect way for me to actually get into this series. Again, an XBO is needed though, and being a broke student doesn't help that lol. Can't even afford a Wii U either.

7. Zelda U: Nailed it with the reveal. I breathe the hardest sigh of relief when he revealed the vista. After ALBW, I don't really doubt that Aonuma can translate that into a 3D world.

8. Oni and the Blind Forest: More platformers aren't a bad thing. Oh, and it looks to be good.

Overall: 2015 is god

E3 Impression thing, the main five six in no particular order, expect typos as I'm tired and need excuses.

Ori and the Blind Forest
Immediately upon seeing this games lavish art direction appear on screen during the MS conference I was wary. See when it comes to the more notable platformers in the Indie scene there does seem to be a strong leaning towards puzzle like platformers based around a singular gimmick that may also play slowly and focus on creating an experience of some variety, now each to their own and all but It didn't take me long to discover that these just ain't the platformers I'm looking for no matter how much the gaming press seems to love them and the accompanying artsy fartsy direction they take.
The trailer for Ori was like a swerve in that respect, it has the artisitic look, it has some sort of potentially emotional story stuff afoot with an adorable black bear thing so I began to tune out thinking "great visuals but this probably ain't for me".
Suddenly KURO THE DARK OWL, aw shit, we've got Dark Owls now and holy jones that spirit character is springing around with fast pace, platforming and action, that was when I realised this might be up my street after all.
Yeah, it's another Metroidvania focused title (a genre I love but don't find to be pulled off as well as I'd like in most of the Indie ones I've played) but even then I'm willing to be suckered into the words of our own gaffer thomasmahler who claims the game is taking cues in particular from classic Metroid and Zelda design approaches, I want to believe!

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
My immediate thought process was something like...
"A clay gamepad? wonder what this is all about, oh Kirby, neat I suppose, HOLY SHIT A LINE OUTTA NOWHERE! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!"
One stroke of the stylus took me from kind of indifferent to mega hype in a span of seconds, not that there's anything wrong with standard Kirby but I did just beat Triple Deluxe which was just good and not great so I've had my fill on that front for now.
But Power Paintbrush/Canvas Curse 2.0 is another matter entirely, the original was the first DS game I played that really excelled with touch control, I played it so much that I actually have trouble going back, I even got 100% for an awful baby blue background on the title screen which required top ranking that fiddly paint roller minigame, that's how much I dug the original.
I can only see this as being better, it should have more concepts to explore, hopefully better ability implementation and the incredibly well realised clay art direction makes it stand out. Just remember to bring back Ink Trial, that mode was dope.

Bayonetta 2
Bayonetta was a game I enjoyed yet never felt like I truly understood, like I'm missing the last few pieces of the puzzle to be both more competent at the game and also understand its various intricacies. Last years Wonderful 101 was a platinum game that I finally felt like I grasped fully, it took a run on easy mode first (much to JC's chagrin If I recall) but I can take on hard now and feel fully in control and understanding of the games mechanics, this in turn spurred my hype up for Bayonetta 2 because this time I'm determined to "get it".
Now you might say why don't I just go back to the first game and try and tackle it again first? well while the PS3 version is competent enough I suppose it still feels off with me halfway through hard mode but still kinda sucky, I was contemplating borrowing the 360 version of a friend of mine even if it meant starting from scratch when I thought that perhaps Nintendo would get the original to tie in with the sequel so I decided to hold out and see if that happened. Lo and behold, at the end of the Bayonetta 2 trailer there it was, I can now happily cast aside the PS3 version, sure it'd be nice to replay the first game before Bayo 2 hits but whatever, point is the addition of a port was actually a surprisingly hype moment for me.

Ah but what about Bayonetta 2 itself, well I'm not sure what I was seeing in its trailer as the frenetic action zoomed by with glimpses of the awesome managing to break out my grin-o-meter, I think I saw a Scythe so I know what I can't wait to try out.
A grin that manages to escape restraint in a way where you're just so chuffed by what you're seeing or playing is what I consider one of the highest benchmarks to measure my enjoyment of something so in that respect Bayonetta's 2 trailer nailed it.

Bloodborne
So the trailer during the E3 conference did nothing for me showing bugger all really, based upon that this game would not be part of my fave five outside of having faith in the people behind it, I joked to a friend that the leaked gifs before E3 showed far more in their total combined time of like 10 seconds.
So it's funny that a leak of sorts would come to the rescue again here, having recently watched the other trailer that those original gifs spawned from I'm far more intrigued to see what the spiritual successor of a spiritual successor has in store, funny that, showing gameplay is a thing that works! Looks expectedly moody and Souls like, I can dig that even if it gives me little to say.

Super Smash Bros 4
SSB exists in a world of permanent hype for me so this was just more of the usual. Funnily enough its showcase within the digital event was determined to bring that hype down if anything else, first of all the hideous Mii Fighter confirms their wretched though expected playable appearance and second Sakurai is all like "we're quickly closing in on the 3DS release date....in October lol", yeah I never expected them to meet Summer like they said but even so, it still stings a bit since this summer is a barren wasteland for me. Actually there's not much to say here, Pac Man looks far far better than I ever expected and Palutena was one of my lesser roster wants so yay I suppose, even if this and other info gathered over this week all comes together to confirm that one leak that has quite possibly the most boring third Fire Emblem rep possible. Meanwhile my hopes for a third DK rep get dimmer still, Dixie Kong getting shunned again.
Anyway, it's Smash, I'll lap it up as the Nintendo museum it is.

Honourable mentions
S.T.E.A.M
The art direction bums me out despite sounding great on paper, it does appear to work well enough in game but bloody hell does the boxart remind me of shovelware to an extent, it's like they hit an uncanny valley in going for the western comic style. Honestly this would be one of my most anticipated games otherwise because it's like Valkyria Chronicles which is always good, Sega sure as hell ain't giving me another or even the third game which I will whine about at every opportunity so this will have to do and I have faith in Intelligent Systems.
Optimistic for the gameplay, here's hoping the art grows on me over time.

Yoshi's Wooly World
Epic Yarn meets Yoshi's Island basically, to me the YI formula of collectables, transformations, slower exploration pace and general ease (outside of those rom hack like YIDS stages) should fit Good Feel like a well knit glove. At long last it may be time for a Yoshi game that doesn't underwhelm and actually has good music as well, I'm not too fussed on account of not being that big on Yoshi games in general but this has my attention, I especially like being able to egg throw your co-op partner for whatever reason.

Batman: Arkham Knight
Bigger and more open world leaves me a bit chilly as I'd sooner crave the tighter design of Asylum but Rocksteady have a good track record on their side and the core gameplay should only improve further. While I do feel this formula might be getting a bit worn already it's still by all accounts good stuff so yeah, more swiftly flipping across rooms to dropkick mooks in the face but shinier is okay by me.

Splatoon
This is almost entirely here just because of how the paint concept manages to entwine itself with like everything the game is doing in such a unified way that it makes me oddly happy. Plus it being a new IP from Nintendo and essentially a deathmatch third person shooter is like witnessing some sort of minor miracle, of course they do it in the most Nintendo fashion possible, squids and paint.
All this being said I'm not sure how sold I am on playing it myself, not really my scene and I need to see more content.

Mario Maker
So much potential right here, so very much. As of right now it's looking far too limited for my liking but that may change as development goes on.
I got plenty of entertainment out of Mega Man Powered Up's stage creator so even being around that level would be enough for me, I feel that they've got to breach that SMB1 barrier, sure you can do neat stuff with just the mechanics of that game alone as shown already but say NSMB tools and abilities would be some next level stuff for me and completely change my perception of this creation kit for the better.

Other stuff
So yeah a number of big games got proper reveals at E3 and I'd like to be more excited than I am for a number of them, two big issues to me were "2015" and trailers/presentations that told very little.
Kamiya's new game could be really exciting but it's trailer really explained nothing about how it's going to play, I'm choosing DMC meets Monster Hunter right now just because . Believe it or not but I was kind of intrigued to see how Uncharted 4 was going down, mainly hoping to see if TLOU's non poop and kinda satisfying shooting mechanics were going to leak into Uncharted's sponge fest yet all I got was Drake face down in the floor in another crazy predicament no doubt while Sully's soothing voice went on about the usual so I'm still in the dark there.
Then you've got Zelda where Anouma teases his new direction for the series and I'm all like "awww here we go, killer robot and colourful art direction and...oh it's over before anything happened", this game could easily have been my game of the show had it simply shown more.
Point is these sort of reveals don't do anything for me these days and it was like this E3 was full of teases or small glimpses, oh and topping this list of lacking info? Starfox of course.
2015 is self explanatory, the rest of this year is pretty damn bare and E3 didn't do much at all to fix that.

There's a few other games I'm looking forward to this year that don't really come across as E3 games despite being present at the event so I left them aside, Monster Hunter 4, Hyrule Warriors and Danganronpa 2 for instance. I'm kinda sad right now that my friends who supported my Halo MP habits through actually shelling out for Gold and Halo games so I didn't have to don't have any XBONE plans in the future because Chief's collection would do well to revive our Halo local multiplayer after the fourth entry slowly poisoned it.

Noi

To be fair, Schala said Top 5 games you're most excited for, not top 5 E3 games you're most excited for. :V

I was instantly interested in Arkham Knight from the gameplay shown only because Batman doesn't move slow as molasses while traversing the city like he did in Arkham Origins. They gave you a big ass city to explore but actually moving through it was the worst thing in the game (not to mention that there was nothing in it).

the worst thing about movement in Arkham Origins is how completely fuckin' arbritary the grapple points are. They are so many spots you think you should be able to grappel and propel yourself with like you could in Arkham City, but you can't.

my response: *Bork Lazer giffage*

ibljbtraDmD6lO.gif

Pfft, My last two threads went down as well as a Kane main event storyline so you can't hurt me anymore JC, I'm already dead inside.

To be fair, Schala said Top 5 games you're most excited for, not top 5 E3 games you're most excited for. :V

That may be so but I'm not really sure what I'm most excited for at this point, I mean aside from the previously mentioned perma-Smash excitement.
Self imposed rules like this make it easier!

Noi

the worst thing about movement in Arkham Origins is how completely fuckin' arbritary the grapple points are. They are so many spots you think you should be able to grappel and propel yourself with like you could in Arkham City, but you can't.

Would you recommend City to someone who hated Origins? I got it for free from PS+ but I've got cold feet after Origins gave me such a chillingly awful impression.

Pfft, My last two threads went down as well as a Kane main event storyline so you can't hurt me anymore JC, I'm already dead inside.

mwahaha all my threads have been moderately successful, sparkle at the diamond that is my life

Would you recommend City to someone who hated Origins? I got it for free from PS+ but I've got cold feet after Origins gave me such a chillingly awful impression.

City is pretty godlike so give it a shot. Origins was meh.

Falk

that puzzling face
You know,.. on the topic of franchise redesigns/reboots, I totally would play a game with the slapstick humor/art of Hedgehog the Sonic.

Regardless of genre. It could be an open world RPG for all I care.

edit: Really.
image.php

edit: We need to make a fangame of this.

Top Bottom