• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

I'm not sure how much of this is nostalgia, but I honestly liked SA2's often hilarious attempts at drama more than that time in Colors when... uh... when Sonic calls Eggman Baldy McNosehair. Or that time... um... when... Sonic talks to a dead robot like it's still alive, and then Tails caught him. Or something.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't dig the sheer entertainment that comes from SA2's narrative in particular.
It's really like a happy accident, even the two examples I gave up there are things that deep down I love for how bad they are. I mean by all accounts its pretty awful across the board, unusually grimdark with Gerald and Maria, some sort of ham fisted romance saga that develops between a Government Agent Bat and an Echidna, then there's Shadow the Hedgehog in general, it's kind of miraculous it came out as oddly entertaining as it did.
Now I just need to find that Mama Robotnik post on the plot.
Thing is SA2 is an anomaly, it stands alone in the world of "serious" Sonic, tiptoeing on the line between the likes of Sonic Adventure 1 and Unleashed while the other side of that line is a steep drop containing Shadow and 06, I doubt they'll hit that note again.

Colours is like they felt obligated to put a few cutscenes into it's wafer thin narrative structure because that's what Sonic does now so all there really is to remember is the kid focused quips since nothing else actually happens, aside from the BBBE of course.
Though I've never really got some folks complaints over the Baldy McNosehair line, were people spitting out their drinks at "a giant talking egg" in SA1 or something?
Still Eggman's PA announcements are genuinely amusing at times.

The thing with "giant talking egg" in Adventure was that was the last time in the series until Generations where Eggman was called Robotnik, and actually have some in-universe context regarding the name change.

Meanwhile Baldy McNosehair took three friggin years to actually happen.

PKrockin

I honestly don't remember this "giant talking egg" line and didn't know there was some kind of backlash over Baldy McNosehair. It just fell flat for me like most of Colors's cutscenes. The PA announcements were great, even though I could barely hear them over the game. I actually wouldn't mind if they did away with the cutscenes entirely and told the story through the PA announcements.

The fact he embraces the Eggman insult as his new moniker must mean that in the next game he'll become Doctor Ivo "Eggman McNosehair" Robotnik so he can one up Sonic's slick wit once again.
Then Sonic will resort to calling him six eyes because there isn't much else to insult about his appearance, genius.

The fact he embraces the Eggman insult as his new moniker must mean that in the next game he'll become Doctor Ivo "Eggman McNosehair" Robotnik so he can one up Sonic's slick wit once again.
Then Sonic will resort to calling him six eyes because there isn't much else to insult about his appearance, genius.

Fun fact: The manual for Sonic Unleashed actually does call him Dr. Robotnik in side brackets.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I liked Colours's cutscenes.

And I didn't switch to Google+ before when they were laying it out, and now I had to because I had to comment on one single thing and they did.

Google is a fucking piece of shit. Fuck them and their fucking need to control every inch of your goddamn life.

BlackJace

And I didn't switch to Google+ before when they were laying it out, and now I had to because I had to comment on one single thing and they did.

Google is a fucking piece of shit. Fuck them and their fucking need to control every inch of your goddamn life.

Do you want to post this comment using your real name?

Yes

No, I want to use my user name

Okay, we'll ask you again later

PKrockin

Dark Schala
Eloquent Princess
Today, 03:01 PM
This made me laugh out loud. Guess "Dark" Schala has awoken.

No argument here though Schala. Google makes nice products but I'm sick and tired of them trying to pry into every aspect of my life. The dumb kids all over the internet blindly worshipping their name doesn't help either.

The project lead behind Google+ resigned from the company recently and Google says it'll be backing away from Google+ in the future, if not outright killing it altogether.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dark Schala
Eloquent Princess
Today, 03:01 PM
I dunnooooo, that was pretty eloquent of me. >.>

Another GAF member helped me fix it up, so it should be okay now.

No argument here though Schala. Google makes nice products but I'm sick and tired of them trying to pry into every aspect of my life. The dumb kids all over the internet blindly worshipping their name doesn't help either.
LOL. I can get mad and swear like a sailor, you know. I just keep it to myself most of the time.

Then the Trinidadian in me awakens from time to time and I can get really angry. JC, Noi, BHZ Mayor, Meccanical, and Seven Force know what I'm talking about; you never want to see a Trinidadian woman angry.

In all seriousness, that's why I was angry. I like my privacy and didn't want Google anywhere near my life. I guess I just can't comment on videos on YT for a while or do anything much.

The project lead behind Google+ resigned from the company recently and Google says it'll be backing away from Google+ in the future, if not outright killing it altogether.
Thank God for that. G+ never reached the heights of FB or Twitter or MySpace, and forcing it on YouTube users isn't going to help matters if people are resistant about it. It's just like how it'd be awkward if I have to use my real name on GAF or GameFAQs or Twitter. I don't want to cross the streams. Aspects of my life off of the computer and my life on the computer are generally separate unless I get to know someone fairly well.

SHE CAN'T CONTROL IT *kaboom*
LOL. I can get mad and swear like a sailor, you know. I just keep it to myself most of the time.
7EHx2wc.png

I watched the Internship

try doing that before you think you're experiencing true hatred of google

PKrockin

I dunnooooo, that was pretty eloquent of me. >.>

Another GAF member helped me fix it up, so it should be okay now.

Then the Trinidadian in me awakens from time to time and I can get really angry. JC, Noi, BHZ Mayor, Meccanical, and Seven Force know what I'm talking about; you never want to see a Trinidadian woman angry.

In all seriousness, that's why I was angry. I like my privacy and didn't want Google anywhere near my life. I guess I just can't comment on videos on YT for a while or do anything much.

Thank God for that. G+ never reached the heights of FB or Twitter or MySpace, and forcing it on YouTube users isn't going to help matters if people are resistant about it. It's just like how it'd be awkward if I have to use my real name on GAF or GameFAQs or Twitter. I don't want to cross the streams. Aspects of my life off of the computer and my life on the computer are generally separate unless I get to know someone fairly well.
I just set up my Youtube account's email address to be a different one from the Gmail one I actually use. Google can force me to set up a Google+ account but it's not linked to anything and will never be used for anything. They can pester me all they want to use my real name, but on that account it's Johnny Turbo (TurboDuo was first! Damn you, Sega, and your army of evil robot salesmen!)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Coldman's description of it made me not want to see the movie at all.

Especially when he said it was a Vince Vaughn/Owen Wilson film.

I still want a sonic game that embraces the art style and humor of Hedgehog the Sonic
Sega should publish a dang Sanic game.

I just set up my Youtube account's email address to be a different one from the Gmail one I actually use. Google can force me to set up a Google+ account but it's not linked to anything and will never be used for anything. They can pester me all they want to use my real name, but on that account it's Johnny Turbo (TurboDuo was first! Damn you, Sega, and your army of evil robot salesmen!)
Yeah, that's what was suggested to me. What an annoyance.

Falk

that puzzling face
I used to have a T-shirt that said "My life is a JRPG and I'm not the main character"

edit: Long before this I might add

What about an exaggerated but limited set of body movement to convey talking that you would repeat again and again no matter how many times somebody talked to you

I said I wasn't the main character. I never said I wasn't a playable character.

edit: actually at least NPCs actually have dialogue lol

That Ludger fellow seems to be the life of the party, his skits must be something special.

Well in that case we'll all enjoy your brief segment of character development before fading into the background outside of a handful of cutscenes, or the worst fate of all*, being benched and sustaining yourself on others leftover experience points.

* worst is actually being in the pokemon box system

Falk

that puzzling face
You could skewer a man with that cow's udders.

what about that nightmare fuel dog Meccanical had where his ears(?) clipped through his body

It was taken out the back and shot, except the bullets also clipped through it, now it's unstoppable.

It literally sounds like the other characters scramble to find something to say to break the awkward silence.

Throughout the entire game.

It's not much better in Japanese, for once.

I hope they play it for laughs, every, single, time.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm contractually obliged not to partake in this discussion nor post the gif which I have on my hard drive

sorry.

PKrockin

It literally sounds like the other characters scramble to find something to say to break the awkward silence.

Throughout the entire game.

It's not much better in Japanese, for once
Xillia already sounded like everyone was thinking of something to say to break the silence thanks to all the long pauses in the cutscenes.

Ludger is one of the reasons why I dropped Tales of Xillia 2 and never went back.

I can't find the gif. :(
Ask qq for it on IRC. He was obsessed with mocking it for weeks, he'll have it somewhere.

Falk

that puzzling face
Xillia already sounded like everyone was thinking of something to say to break the silence thanks to all the long pauses in the cutscenes.

THAT was better in Japanese though. Basically sounds like the translation didn't really bother to preserve the same-ish duration for lines and while the game did get a lip-sync pass the timing of the lines adhered rigidly to the original dub.

Top Bottom