• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Caladrius

I feel bad for the people that were looking forward to the game. If it had more care put into it, it could have been a really interesting spin on the franchise.

Also the Sonic Adventure hate in that thread, smh
Also also, Hi.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't like the Adventure games much, myself. Though I've already said as much on GAF.

Also also, Hi.
Hi-hi~

To be fair, I don't think anyone expected it to sound that great.

With designs that bad there was no way the game was going to be good.
Seriously, we knew it was gonna be that way from the start somehow.

I feel bad for the people that were looking forward to the game. If it had more care put into it, it could have been a really interesting spin on the franchise.

Also the Sonic Adventure hate in that thread, smh
Also also, Hi.

Well, some people were excited because of Ex-Naughty Dog people in prominent roles. Personally, I've never thought much of Naughty Dog gameplay.

Falk

that puzzling face
Also also, Hi.

rainbow.jpg

WillyFive

Well, some people were excited because of Ex-Naughty Dog people in prominent roles. Personally, I've never thought much of Naughty Dog gameplay.

Me neither. They are great at tech (fitting levels with huge file sizes to be processed by the PS1 for Crash, and having an inter-connected world with no breaks in Jak and Daxter), but gameplay-wise their platformers aren't much of a step above over what you'd find in a licensed 3D platformer for a kids movie; which explains Sonic Boom's gameplay very well.

I'd really like to know more on the development of this game. For this game to look like this despite such a long development and talent behind it means there's a story to tell.

that reminds of the fact that Sega actually had Sonic turn into a werehog at night for really long and increasingly tedious alternate levels. It was an actual game and everything.

What is this franchise

TheOGB

Banned
that reminds of the fact that Sega actually had Sonic turn into a werehog at night for really long and increasingly tedious alternate levels. It was an actual game and everything.

What is this franchise
jogo+do+sonic+heroes+100+completo+para+pc+franco+da+rocha+sp+brasil__66A7EC_2.jpg
74_2047_0_ShadowtheHedgehog.jpg
471px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_B.jpg

STARTED FROM THE BOTTOM NOW WE--

soniclostworld.jpg
Sonic_Boom_promotional_with_Sticks.jpg

heeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhh........

but in all seriousness, I still cannot believe some of the shit that was in Shadow

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ban this sick filth.

lol

I'd really like to know more on the development of this game. For this game to look like this despite such a long development and talent behind it means there's a story to tell.
Yeah, based on impressions, it's somewhat hard to believe that this is the third year of this game's development phase. Wonder what happened during the first two years.

Anth0ny

worse than 06? is such a thing even possible?

hard to believe Generations was 2.5 years ago... so much potential. so much excitement surrounding the character and the future of the franchise. ugh =(

I just spent all afternoon, barring a visit to my parents' hometown for dinner and such, playing Xenoblade.

Really, really late game now, and this game's plot's getting weeeeeeird. Not sure I want to talk about it, since it's pretty major spoilers.

It'd be nice if any of the new sidequests I got didn't require me to be at a higher level than the final boss is to do well at.

hard to believe Generations was 2.5 years ago... so much potential. so much excitement surrounding the character and the future of the franchise. ugh =(
Sega would've sucked everything out of my wallet had they made DLC levels for Generations. I still cry evryteim

ShadiWulf

Oh hey, was wondering where you've been.

That's what I felt for a while, though. Sega Japan does their own thing, Sega America/BRB does their own thing (even if it isn't... hmmmm).

I've been busy with stuff, so not posting as much as in the past.

I saw you guys talking about Tales of games. I've been trying to rush through Tales of Symphonia HD this past week. While the game combat is fun, and im enjoying the story. I'm just feeling really sick of the game. Is it worth finishing?

I'm near the end,
just got done taking out the final human ranch and destroying that crazy huge tree

how close am i to finishing? Is there anymore crazy puzzle dungeons that are going to drive me insane? i don't know how many more of those i can take.

really just tempted to watch the ending on youtube and move onto another game. Like Kingdom Hearts! I got the HD collection for that just recently. Never played it and know people love it so I wanted to give it a try.

Tizoc

With designs that bad there was no way the game was going to be good.

I didn't mind the designs, and I enjoyed the past games the devs working on the Boom games did, so I was having expectations of a decent platformer.

Seriously, we knew it was gonna be that way from the start somehow.

I dunno I think I saw posts from you that you were looking forward to it, though that might've been another poster, but I do recall you showing a little interest in them.

Highly doubt it, Sonic 06 was an incomplete buggy mess. I'm still planning on getting the 3DS ver., at best I expect a mediocre platformer like Pacman Ghostly Adventures 1, at worst Sonic LW 3DS; has potentiel but fails to achieve it.

I'ma make a thread if that game goes on sale on Steam, and mention the mods.

Really it's like I posted months ago: Better to make a short Sonic game and look at Sonic 2 and 3&K to see what made them work and in turn base this game off that and have it sold for like $15-30.

For that matter: GET THOSE DAMN TOUCH DEVICE SONIC 1 AND 2 REMASTERS ON STEAM ALREADY SEGA!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I dunno I think I saw posts from you that you were looking forward to it, though that might've been another poster, but I do recall you showing a little interest in them.
Well, at that point I didn't realize it was going to be somewhat disastrous since I thought it was going to be a moderately good thing.

More footage came out, and well... yeah... no. I give a lot of things the benefit of the doubt, this included. And I can't do that anymore.

I'm tired of playing shit I know I probably won't like.

I've been busy with stuff, so not posting as much as in the past.

I saw you guys talking about Tales of games. I've been trying to rush through Tales of Symphonia HD this past week. While the game combat is fun, and im enjoying the story. I'm just feeling really sick of the game. Is it worth finishing?

I'm near the end,
just got done taking out the final human ranch and destroying that crazy huge tree
You have quite a bit to go, actually. If you're playing for the story, there are still a few twists and turns to go. There are still some dungeons to go through.

ShadiWulf

You have quite a bit to go, actually. If you're playing for the story, there are still a few twists and turns to go. There are still some dungeons to go through.

Ah okay. I'll probably just take a break from it then, doesn't sound like it's something I'm gonna be able to plow through and I don't want to frustrate myself. Playing through these dungeons really makes me want to continue watching DSP's playthrough, i can only imagine how frustrated he got! Anything that requires thinking tends to drive him a bit crazy ^__^

I'll just have to make sure I don't take a year+ break like I did with Tales of Xillia. I'm amazed I managed to get back into that game and beat it. Wanted to watch the Xillia 2 trailers badly, The Xillia 2 E3 trailer really has me excited, makes the game look epic.

Thanks for the info.

Onto Kingdom Hearts and of course Project Diva. Project Diva is a game I'll never stop playing I think. always just so fun. Play it when I'm not in the mood to play a more lengthy game.

Tizoc

Well, at that point I didn't realize it was going to be somewhat disastrous since I thought it was going to be a moderately good thing.

More footage came out, and well... yeah... no. I give a lot of things the benefit of the doubt, this included. And I can't do that anymore.

I'm tired of playing shit I know I probably won't like.

Fair enough, apologies if my posts annoyed or offended you in a way ^^;

I'm still gonna get it, I've played a bunch of meh games this year so far (Got Thief 2014 for $30 and I STILL haven't beaten it @_@), what's another meh game added into the mix? I'm gonna hold on to hoping this won't frustrate me as badly as Lost World 3DS.

OMG Aero

Anyone who didn't see the stream should watch the archive.
20SgoKB.png

I just spent all afternoon, barring a visit to my parents' hometown for dinner and such, playing Xenoblade.

Really, really late game now, and this game's plot's getting weeeeeeird. Not sure I want to talk about it, since it's pretty major spoilers.
you ain't seen nothing yet

What is this franchise

I would have LOVED to be a fly on the wall when Sonic Team was holding meetings about Unleashed.

Kart94

Banned
Nope. I've seen that clip before, I'm not watching it again. It makes me wonder if something is very wrong with the writers of more recent Spongebob episodes.

agreed. These days, the only remaining likeable characters in the show are Squidward and Plankton.

I don't know why Spongebob is so obsessed over squidward these days.

Holy shit
tumblr_n7eydzMqTR1syqv78o1_500.gif

I seriously cannot wait for this to release. That 30 minute presentation has me so hyped. Looks damned good for a game designed on an engine developed with cross gen in mind, too.

On that note, I'm playing MGS4 and it got really weird, really quick.

Tizoc

I seriously cannot wait for this to release. That 30 minute presentation has me so hyped. Looks damned good for a game designed on an engine developed with cross gen in mind, too.
Next Gen Sheep tech is too good
tumblr_n7f7u0djT51qb0wv3o1_500.gif

On that note, I'm playing MGS4 and it got really weird, really quick.

It helps if you don't take it too seriously and just revel in the insanity and appreciate just how much fun Ocelot is having.
I mean for crying out loud this game featured 2 OLD GUYS FIGHTING IN GIANT ROBOTS AND AFTERWARDS ONE OLD GUY RUNS BACKWARDS AND GESTURES 'TIL NEXT TIME' AT THE OTHER OLD GUY!

Caladrius

(✿◠‿◠)

That actually doesn't sound out of character for me.

I think it can happen again.

...As soon as they find new franchise management.
It's clear that they really don't have any idea of where they want/need to take the series.

BHZ Mayor

Eh, I think it deserves the hate it gets just for adding to the terrible art style a lot of Cartoon Network shows have today.

What's the deal with that anyway? Why do they all look like that, and why do they all seem like the plots were written on acid trips?

Edit: ShadowHog I believe the last sidequests are designed with new game plus in mind. The superbosses anyway.
Well, I'd assumed there would've been SOME sidequests that opened up that'd be only ~L75 or so like the boss I'm trying to fight is. Particularly the five "hey, we can get you some new weapons if you give us some parts" ones that opened up when I entered the area said boss is in. Being numbered 1 through 5, I assumed they had to be done in order, but there's no way they can expect me to take down a Green Feris when I'm only L74 and they're all L83. I'm guessing they don't strictly have to be done in that order?

(Or I could just switch to Melia like people are suggesting for this boss, I dunno.)

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, the anniversary of that crept up and ambushed me so I was taking a jog down memory lane.

(Anniversary meaning that I haven't put out anything original in a year. Too much work :E)

Tizoc

...As soon as they find new franchise management.
It's clear that they really don't have any idea of where they want/need to take the series.

Which worries me a lot. On the one hand I am interested in a non-Dimps or Sonic Team Sonic game, but at the same time I feel that SEGA won't allow a Sonic game to be made that isn't
a) A budget priced release which I personally find is unnecessary
b) an iOS-like game

Unfortunately, Sonic 4 kinda ruined any chance of another $15-sized Sonic game which IMO is a good price and is the proper 'size' for a Sonic game.

Sonic Advance 2 now.

Pietepiet is going to hate me for this, but I actually can't stand Advance 2. Great audiovisual presentation, but the actual game is simply a chore to play. It's around where Sega insisted speed had to be prioritized above all else, and I think the game's much worse for it.

Like, in the Genesis games, if there was a hidden alcove, you usually could find it at your own pace. Even the most linear, point-of-no-return-filled stages didn't force you forward until you were absolutely ready to go. Advance 2, however, has all manners of things to push you up to speed as fast as possible (partly because they have this weird thing where you don't accelerate as quickly as you normally should unless you have a lot of rings on hand), as well as level design that is literally one huge downward slope (seriously, take a look at the maps sometime) to force you forward at all times. And yet they expect you to find seven tokens in these stages for 100% completion, despite not giving you enough time to stop and get your bearings?

Not to mention that the whole game is restructured to be significantly more trial-and-error based. Early stages aren't too bad, but if you haven't memorized the layouts of the latter stages, you'll be constantly hurled into enemies or spikes that you had absolutely no time to react to, because the game insists you have to go much faster than that kind of level design affords.

Eventually they realized there was a problem here, but instead of figuring out why, they just gave your speed a bar and said "okay, yeah, you'll be invincible if you're doing this", creating the Rush gameplay style. And, well, okay, that kinda works - certainly miles better than it ever did in Advance 2 without boiling down to rote memorization - but I can't help but think it's pretty far removed from what I liked from the franchise in the first place, even if this new thing is good enough that I'll still take it.

I suppose it's for the best at this point, given their attempts at going back to the kind of design I liked resulted in Sonic 4, which still had terrible level design (and terrible mechanics in Episode 1 - let go of the DPad/analog stick in mid-air, immediately lose all momentum, wut). I suppose they're not capable of making the game I actually want anymore, and given that, better some weird deviation from the original formula that works, than an attempt to mimic it as closely as possible that doesn't. It's just a shame it's come to that.

Top Bottom