• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

worse than 06? is such a thing even possible?

hard to believe Generations was 2.5 years ago... so much potential. so much excitement surrounding the character and the future of the franchise. ugh =(

Generations made me sad with how easy it was.

The daytime levels in Unleashed felt like perfection to me. Learning the stages and routes in them and being able to blast through without dying was so satisfying.

Generations simplified it way too much in my opinion.

Bq2C9P1CEAAU61R.png

A perfect end to that run. Fucking LOL.

OMG Aero

This Sonic Unleashed format is lame.
When I watch a speed run I want to see someone playing through a game as fast as they can, not just "yo here are my fastest time attacks on a subset of levels picked from the level select screen".
I want to see how having to collect medals effects the route through each level, and what tricks there are to get through the werehog stages quickly.

WillyFive

I loved Sonic Advance 2, really fun to play. Great sense of speed, levels, music.....made me wish to have a 3D Sonic play like that. Luckily, near the end of the decade it happened, or at least close enough to it.

When I watch a speed run I want to see someone playing through a game as fast as they can, not just "yo here are my fastest time attacks on a subset of levels picked from the level select screen".
I want to see how having to collect medals effects the route through each level, and what tricks there are to get through the werehog stages quickly.

I'd say that it would make for a way longer run (2-3 hours) but they had a 3 hour Banjo-Tooie run last night

The Unleashed run in general was pretty lame because it was basically a constant stream of "this game sucks because we can break it really hard"

Zaverious

The ones behind the event wouldn't allow that. They'll say the general audience wouldn't like that and it'll be too long. What you wanted would have been more interesting that what happened though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Happy birthday Sonic!, etc.

(Too meta to post a cake, bros)

Yeah, if you check the choices that were allowed and ditched, some of them are questionable, but at the same time I think they wanted to expose runners we don't usually see or games we don't usually say. Though to be honest, I'm not enjoying this SGDQ as much as I did last year. Last year's was the bomb.

PKrockin

How do you guys play Genesis Sonic? Do you go for the fastest time? Do you go out of your way to collect rings or go to secret areas even if you don't need to? I ask because I just replayed Sonic 1, 2 and CD on Android after buying them for a dollar, and I actually find myself having more fun with CD, despite many people loathing it. I believe the reason is when I play Sonic on the Genesis it's mostly about the physics of the game for me. Sonic is just so much fun to control; the way slopes impact his running speed and jumps just feels good. I don't care about speedrunning the game, in Sonic 1, 2 and 3 my favorite thing to do is try to play the levels straight through with my momentum being interrupted as little as possible.

In CD, however, the levels are way more open in every direction, and backtracking is possible. The stages don't really have clear routes through them as they diverge twice a second, not to mention the past and futures. In this kind of environment getting to the goal is about the farthest thing from my mind. With a several variations of a huge, open level to explore, jam packed with rings, powerups, a robot generator and hologram to find, and relatively little threat of death, these levels seem more like a big playground than a series of challenging obstacles to overcome in traditional platformer fashion. It seems like a lot of people talk about the game's "random level design" like they're supposed to be the latter. They may have a lot more fun with the game if they just play at a more relaxed pace. All the crazy objects that send Sonic flying all over the place are a lot more fun when you see them coming and jump into them experimentally rather than accidentally running into them because you're trying to go fast straight to the goal.

I'm sure not everyone likes playing Sonic that way, but it's fun and relaxing collecting tons of rings by going everywhere, setting up time travel and seeing the remixed level design, graphics, and music, and hitting the goal whenever I feel done with the level. Perhaps a lot of people got thrown for a loop (ha ha) by how different CD's level design is, tried to play it like 2, and got frustrated.

By the way, the touchscreen controls work alright. Not as good as a physical d-pad, but acceptable once you're used to it. I'm having lots of crow for dinner tonight after all the shit I used to say about virtual d-pads years ago.

TheOGB

Banned
Today I explained to my younger cousins in detail why Sonic 06 is terrible. I expected it to go over their heads, but they seemed to pick up on Sonic Adventure's jank when I showed 'em that as a point of reference.

so happy birthday Sonic

So I was about to go to sleep when Sonic's 23rd birthday got referenced on Chris Hardwick's @midnight show, complete with bad fanart from the Bad Sonic Fanart tumblr. Happy late birthday, I guess.

Tizoc

Happy Birthday, Sonic. I'll always believe that we'll get a Generations 2.

With the return of Chao Garden and more Chao abuse!

How do you guys play Genesis Sonic? Do you go for the fastest time? Do you go out of your way to collect rings or go to secret areas even if you don't need to? I ask because I just replayed Sonic 1, 2 and CD on Android after buying them for a dollar, and I actually find myself having more fun with CD, despite many people loathing it. I believe the reason is when I play Sonic on the Genesis it's mostly about the physics of the game for me. Sonic is just so much fun to control; the way slopes impact his running speed and jumps just feels good. I don't care about speedrunning the game, in Sonic 1, 2 and 3 my favorite thing to do is try to play the levels straight through with my momentum being interrupted as little as possible.

In CD, however, the levels are way more open in every direction, and backtracking is possible. The stages don't really have clear routes through them as they diverge twice a second, not to mention the past and futures. In this kind of environment getting to the goal is about the farthest thing from my mind. With a several variations of a huge, open level to explore, jam packed with rings, powerups, a robot generator and hologram to find, and relatively little threat of death, these levels seem more like a big playground than a series of challenging obstacles to overcome in traditional platformer fashion. It seems like a lot of people talk about the game's "random level design" like they're supposed to be the latter. They may have a lot more fun with the game if they just play at a more relaxed pace. All the crazy objects that send Sonic flying all over the place are a lot more fun when you see them coming and jump into them experimentally rather than accidentally running into them because you're trying to go fast straight to the goal.

I'm sure not everyone likes playing Sonic that way, but it's fun and relaxing collecting tons of rings by going everywhere, setting up time travel and seeing the remixed level design, graphics, and music, and hitting the goal whenever I feel done with the level. Perhaps a lot of people got thrown for a loop (ha ha) by how different CD's level design is, tried to play it like 2, and got frustrated.

By the way, the touchscreen controls work alright. Not as good as a physical d-pad, but acceptable once you're used to it. I'm having lots of crow for dinner tonight after all the shit I used to say about virtual d-pads years ago.

Well like others I take the fastest route possible, but in my case I try for a safe route. Take Sonic 2 for example (forgot to watch the SGDQ lol), when in Aquatic Ruins, I take the upper path in Act 1, now I don't know if there is an alternate faster path or if you can make it past the swining platforms faster, but I tend to take my time at segments like these since the alternative is slogging through water.

Glad to see you like Sonic CD though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
CD plays differently from 1/2/3 This isn't news. :V
I think CD follows in the footsteps of 1 more so than 2 or 3 did, and usually in a good way. Sonic 1 alternated between odd numbered zones that emphasized Sonic's unique abilities and physics, and even numbered zones that were more traditional platforming. Sonic CD seemed to put more focus on the former, not just in stage layout but especially with the time travel mechanic as well. Even if I didn't particularly care for time travel itself, I really appreciated that the whole package felt like a game of consequence. Sonic 1 shares that strength.

I like Sonic 2 and 3K, but I feel like they lost that specific quality to some degree. The spindash just always seemed to encourage lazy stage design and lazy play to me. How much consequence can there be for traversing a stage poorly when you can zip back up to top speed from a standstill from anywhere? I know Sonic CD had it as well, but it felt so janky in that game and often wasn't enough to help you time travel successfully by itself in any case, and I weirdly view that as a strength of the game instead of a detriment.

The only thing I really hate about Sonic CD is that the final zone is just a total anti-climax through and through.

Silky

Banned
Is Sonic 4 Episode 2 any good? I know it has Dimps at it's mantle, but is it at least tolerable for the price it sells itself for?

At $7.49 it's just another notch on my Sonic XBLA collection at this point.

Falk

that puzzling face
Not sure if it's $7.50 good, especially when you're likely to be able to get it for like 2 bucks on steam pretty regularly.

OMG Aero

Is Sonic 4 Episode 2 any good? I know it has Dimps at it's mantle, but is it at least tolerable for the price it sells itself for?

I liked Episode 2 but the bosses in that game are perhaps the worst in the whole series.

How do you guys play Genesis Sonic? Do you go for the fastest time? Do you go out of your way to collect rings or go to secret areas even if you don't need to?
The latter, easily. I am generally obsessed with finding all of the hidden nooks and crannies in any game I play, especially when I know they're there, and Sonic is no different.

That's part of why I made my huge lament up there; Generations is great, but sometimes it feels like that element of finding hidden areas was diminished to a degree. I mean, Generations still has it in the form of hidden paths and such, but they're so frequently things you have to know about in advance and make a split-second reaction to reach, because you're generally being propelled forward when the opportunities arise (maybe it's that secret zip line near one you're already riding in Sky Sanctuary; maybe it's some balloons during a falling sequence that you could land on if you fell in this one specific area...) - and once you've missed it, you'd have to go back to the last checkpoint (at least) to have another stab at it.

I think that Colors is a bit better about this, being a more slow-paced game in general, but I haven't finished that one. Advance 2 was the worst offender when it came to this kind of thing, though.

PKrockin

The latter, easily. I am generally obsessed with finding all of the hidden nooks and crannies in any game I play, especially when I know they're there, and Sonic is no different.

That's part of why I made my huge lament up there; Generations is great, but sometimes it feels like that element of finding hidden areas was diminished to a degree. I mean, Generations still has it in the form of hidden paths and such, but they're so frequently things you have to know about in advance and make a split-second reaction to reach, because you're generally being propelled forward when the opportunities arise (maybe it's that secret zip line near one you're already riding in Sky Sanctuary; maybe it's some balloons during a falling sequence that you could land on if you fell in this one specific area...) - and once you've missed it, you'd have to go back to the last checkpoint (at least) to have another stab at it.

I think that Colors is a bit better about this, being a more slow-paced game in general, but I haven't finished that one. Advance 2 was the worst offender when it came to this kind of thing, though.
Yeah, I feel the same way. It's annoying when you zip past something that looks like an alternate path or secret but you can't backtack due to boost pads everywhere, loops thst force you through at the same speed no matter what you press, or the linear nature of the level. The game keeps forcing you along at top speed and I don't like having less freedom like that. Colors and Generations are good games since they let you go fast without controlling like ass but they aren't classics I'll replay forever.

I would probably loathe Sonic Advance 2.

Fixed up my model some more, now he has normal maps and specular maps on his glove/shoes/straps.

You did a fantastic job with that. The mouth being rigged up and everything looks fantastic in motion.

Any chance Daytime Knuckles' mouth will work in the cinemas, or is it too incompatible?

I thought it got wailed on too hard, especially since people acted like Episode 1 was much better in retrospect (it was NOT, how quickly people forget how ugly that game was, how broken the physics were, etc). Has some very pretty graphics, nice co-op (that works online, "Impossible!" they say), creative bosses (that admittingly go on too long), and actually uses the idea of Sonic and Tails working together, instead of Tails just being a random CPU hopping around behind you. And it was a massive step up over Episode 1 in many ways.

Not going to say it's the best Sonic game ever, but it's not awful by any stretch.

I think Colors DS is worse about it. Colors Wii is much better about letting you backtrack and try to do things again. Colors DS specifically blocks you from backtracking much of the time, in some cases by a tiny wall, practically rubbing the missed secret in your face.

Just out of curiosity, what was the GAF reaction to Sky Sanctuary representing S3&K in Generations?

I've recently been playing through the Genesis games for the first time and I was surprised at how short it was.

Just out of curiosity, what was the GAF reaction to Sky Sanctuary representing S3&K in Generations?

I've recently been playing through the Genesis games for the first time and I was surprised at how short it was.

I questioned it until I heard the music, then I don't remember ever hating it again.

I'm simple like that!

You did a fantastic job with that. The mouth being rigged up and everything looks fantastic in motion.

Any chance Daytime Knuckles' mouth will work in the cinemas, or is it too incompatible?

For Knuckles I'm just hoping Dario will make morphers compatible in the future otherwise I would have made knuckles have a moving mouth. Werehog uses bones in the cutscenes, Sonic uses vertex morphers, as do a lot of characters actually

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

"Sky ruins" is a stage trope that isn't often covered in other games, it's the part of 3K where the plot (lol) finally kicks into high gear, and it's one of the stages that doesn't overstay its welcome.

OK pick by me.

Sciz

Didn't like the pick at first, but the Generations version turned out to be so much better than the original that I couldn't stay upset.

I was always okay with Sky Sanctuary in Generations.

The part I was more concerned with was using so many city stages. Speed Highway, City Escape, Crisis City, Rooftop Run... I mean, Crisis City had volcano level tropes going for it, but the others?

TheOGB

Banned

It's no Hydrocity, but it ended up making perfect sense thematically. And it turned out to be a pretty good level, so fine by me.

Razzer

At first I was disappointed because there are just so many great levels (so I would have been like this no matter what probably) and sky sanctuary as a level never struck me as particularly standout, but the stage ended up being one of the best in generations, so I got over it. Still salty over no ice themed level tho.

Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles should have got a level each. grumble grumble

Sky Sanctuary is a good choice, mind. Plus it probably allowed for that awesome SS track in Transformed to happen, thank god for asset recycling.

Top Bottom