• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms Japanese PSP launch in December

Elios83

I updated my first post with new info.
Sony says is far ahead with PSP launch that it was when they launched the PlayStation.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Sony are still talking fluff - it's time for some specifics :

Launch date
Launch titles
Price
Battery life
Second Battery price
UMD support
Concrete download scheme

They are getting their asses kicked at the moment, and they need to start giving details.

Elios83

IGN says on the site japanese people can access to through the QR code on the PSP ad there are a few new details.Among these that PSP will have a pre launch event on 22 October at the Tokyo International Entertainment Market 2004 festival.

"Another section reveals details on a new event at which the PSP will show face. The PSP will go on display at the Tokyo International Entertainment Market 2004 festival (aka ENTAMA), set for between 10/22 and 10/24 at the Makuhari Messe just outside of Tokyo. This is listed as a pre-launch event for the system, meaning we can assume Sony does not plan for a release before the 24th."

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
More details from the famitsu interview that Elios has been referring to are here:

http://1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3135214

Points out that the Dec. 3, 1994 launch date of the original Playstation was announced in November of that year.

Turning to the PSP's interface, Chatani explained a bit more about how the system will work without a game in the drive. Booting up an empty PSP brings up a system interface for managing the internal clock and save files, as well as a media player for playing MP3s and other digital media files on Memory Sticks. Users can also jump out to the system menu at any time by pressing the system's "Home" button -- that will bring up a yes/no exit option in the middle of any game.
Says loading times in the system interface and for booting games are, "roughly similar to what users have experienced on the Playstation 2."

DCharlie

"Says loading times in the system interface and for booting games are, "roughly similar to what users have experienced on the Playstation 2.""

and i guess that depends on what the game is.

Sony, another (slighly loaded) question : Once the game is loaded, are games allowed to spool data off the disks *at all* ?

Code_Link

sohka88 said:
I just do not get why people (the same people) get all exited about buying the same games over and over.

Um, it seems you didn't see the Super Mario Advance 1, 2 and 3 sale numbers...

They do get excited. :(

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DCharlie said:
Sony, another (slighly loaded) question : Once the game is loaded, are games allowed to spool data off the disks *at all* ?
Like load a new game level?

DCharlie

yeah, i'm just wondering what the policy will be. Or what it is at the moment.

Brofist

Why are ports, remakes and sequels all getting lumped into one group in this topic? There is a clear difference. Correct me if I'm wrong but I when I think of the 3 (I wont go into spin-offs)

Port = same game more or less, for a different system, very small amount of content added if any, slight changes made to suit the new console game is ported to. (Viewtiful Joe PS2)

Remake = taking the base game, and giving the graphics an overhaul, tweaking the control, adding modes etc (REmake)

Sequel = Game based on a IP of a game made before. Completely new game, as far as levels, story, updated graphics, updated control scheme, lots of new added extra, possible new modes. (MGS3)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DCharlie said:
So, you're basically suggesting that games like Coded Arms and the new Ridge Racer would either consist of one level or are going to have to have their levels/tracks significantly downgraded from what's been demo'd? Because that's the only way that you'd load a game once into 32 meg of ram and never spool from the disk again...

Why are ports, remakes and sequels all getting lumped into one group in this topic? There is a clear difference.
Yes, but they are all similar in that they recycle content. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it is what it is.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Well maybe policies have changed recently - but afaik the lowpower mode for UMD is there mainly for stuff like music streaming in games (and perhaps hypothetical playing of music UMDs).

Anyway, having 1.8GB disc where you are only allowed to load around 20MB off it is beyond drastic measures, they might as well delay if they run into problems THAT bad just now.
Or can the UMD drive alltogether and just ship all games as downloadable - at that size they'd barely be any bigger then GBA stuff...

mj1108

Elios83 said:
IGN says on the site japanese people can access to through the QR code on the PSP ad there are a few new details.Among these that PSP will have a pre launch event on 22 October at the Tokyo International Entertainment Market 2004 festival.

They're having a pre-launch event with no concrete launch date?

Nice. [/sarcasm]

Jonnyram

kaching said:
So, you're basically suggesting that games like Coded Arms and the new Ridge Racer would either consist of one level or are going to have to have their levels/tracks significantly downgraded from what's been demo'd? Because that's the only way that you'd load a game once into 32 meg of ram and never spool from the disk again...
The PlayStation did that for a lot of things actually, Ridge included, so it's not a big deal. There were quite a few games that used redbook audio where you could just take out the game and put in your own CD once the game had loaded.

DCharlie

"Well maybe policies have changed recently - but afaik the lowpower mode for UMD is there mainly for stuff like music streaming in games (and perhaps hypothetical playing of music UMDs).

Anyway, having 1.8GB disc where you are only allowed to load around 20MB off it is beyond drastic measures, they might as well delay if they run into problems THAT bad just now.
Or can the UMD drive alltogether and just ship all games as downloadable - at that size they'd barely be any bigger then GBA stuff..."

I'm with you , If that was the situation, the restrictions sound a pain in the arse and basically render the UMD pointless for games and somewhat castrates the PSP - i'd say delay until they can sort the problem out. :(

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jonnyram, Why are you talking about PS1 games? PSP is dealing with DC-PS2 level games. And even if you could load the entire game into memory and just play audio off the UMD, that'd still be spooling data.

DCharlie

yes, but that still means your game is limited to 20 meg area on a (potentially) one load situation, with nice music spooled from the UMD.

DCharlie

as much as i want one, and as much as a retard i am with cash, i'm starting to get serious doubts about buying a first gen machine.

I think they'll get it right in the end, but i think a lot of early adoptors might get burnt.

Awesome tech, but perhaps the battery tech is just a little (6 months or so?) behind?

Jonnyram

kaching said:
Jonnyram, Why are you talking about PS1 games? PSP is dealing with DC-PS2 level games. And even if you could load the entire game into memory and just play audio off the UMD, that'd still be spooling data.
It's just an example. No need to jump down my throat :O
Actually, now you mention it, I think there's quite a few early PS2 titles that only require one load. It means simpler games, but it's by no means impossible. Still, I'm not sold on the idea... unless it's radically faster at reading than the PS2, we're going to be seeing some long "Now Loading..." screens, which isn't really what portable gaming is all about. I'll be halfway to work before a GT track has loaded.

Brofist

Just let them announce something before getting crazy...all this power saving speculation is getting out of hand.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Actually, now you mention it, I think there's quite a few early PS2 titles that only require one load. It means simpler games, but it's by no means impossible.
Er, name one of those titles, because right now I can't think of any. And I hope you're not counting GO's or Card games :p

I'll be halfway to work before a GT track has loaded.
You have 20seconds drive to work? You sure it wouldn't be easier to just walk? :)

Miburou

kaching said:
Yes, but they are all similar in that they recycle content.

Sure, but the amount that's recycled differs between ports, remakes and sequels.

And in the case of sports games, since things like characters, art, levels, story, etc. aren't applicable, it's the little control tweaks and new moves and modes (and roster updates) that can make one edition seem so different from the other and thus worth buying.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DCharlie, all those PSX woes are starting to give you the willies?

There won't be any 'one load only' game requirements from Sony - why have a 1.8GB disc?

Most likely it'll be 'load your level, then stop using the UMD until the next level. No music or data streaming while playing'. That would help save the battery a lot.

There might also be some guidelines about colour palette using, to reduce consumers use of high backlight levels (is it adjustable?)

Vieo

HAS THE PRICE BEEN ANNOUNCED YET?!

I mean, jeez-fuck! Theres only one month in between if they are going to launch in December, but they can't give a price?

Do they expect people to show up at stores with a random amount of money?

jarrod

Banned
Jonnyram said:
The PlayStation did that for a lot of things actually, Ridge included, so it's not a big deal. There were quite a few games that used redbook audio where you could just take out the game and put in your own CD once the game had loaded.
Slightly OT, but it'd be awesome if New Ridge Racer allowed custom soundtracks to be taken off MS. :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jonnyram said:
It's just an example. No need to jump down my throat :O
I wasn't trying to jump down your throat. But it was a bad example and there wasn't much of a way to sugar coat it. :)
Still, I'm not sold on the idea... unless it's radically faster at reading than the PS2, we're going to be seeing some long "Now Loading..." screens, which isn't really what portable gaming is all about. I'll be halfway to work before a GT track has loaded.
In between 1 load and many possibly long loads, there might just be a happy medium...one that doesn't require such an extreme imposition on game design as to say it must fit in 20-32 meg of memory for an entire game session with no further loading beyond the first time.

DCharlie said:
i'd suggest that it's not just blind speculation.
Whatever truth there is to current speculation doesn't justify you jumping to such an extreme conclusion.

Vieo said:
Do they expect people to show up at stores with a random amount of money?
You need more than a month of preparation to decide how much money you're going to bring to a store? And there are such things as credit/debit cards and checks, which essentially do amount to people bringing a random amount of money with them to a store. Not to mention impulse buys, which may see some people buying something they didn't intend to and didn't even know about in anyway before getting to the store...you make it sound like Sony has some sort of obligation to forewarn you of the price, even though you're not under any similar obligation to buy it

kaching said:
And there are such things as credit/debit cards and checks, which essentially do amount to people bringing a random amount of money with them to a store.

Not in Japan there aren't!

On December 3rd, you WILL withdraw 50,000 yen in cold-hard-cash from your local ATM!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Slightly OT, but it'd be awesome if New Ridge Racer allowed custom soundtracks to be taken off MS.
It sure would, but... how often do you see a Japanese made game on Xbox with this feature? Did DOA:V have it at least? Consider how trivial it seems to be implement on the Xbox, and I'm just not getting my hopes high for that in RR PSP. Criterion guys on the other hand...

jarrod

Banned
Marconelly said:
It sure would, but... how often do you see a Japanese made game on Xbox with this feature? Did DOA:V have it at least? Consider how trivial it seems to be implement on the Xbox, and I'm just not getting my hopes high for that in RR PSP. Criterion guys on the other hand...
True, but the original PS1 Ridge Racer allowed you to pop the game out and put in your own CD for music... it was the first console game to do custom soundtracks in a way. C'mon Namco, uphold the tradition. :)

Alcibiades

Code_Link said:
Um, it seems you didn't see the Super Mario Advance 1, 2 and 3 sale numbers...

They do get excited. :(
actually, a lot of those sales were probably to new users, parents buying for their children random Mario games for GBA or games kids asked for.

I'm sure some adults bought the game too (I have Mario Advance 2), and maybe people that missed them the first time got them as well, I know I want to buy Mario Advance 3 cause I never played Yoshi's Island...

there is some sense in releasing older games as not everyone has played and/or owned some of these titles...

That said, I'm not sure how things would work in terms of playing the same thing on a PSP as you do on a PS2, considering the target audience for Sony might have already experienced those games...

Brofist

The rereleases make sense. Nintendo isn't marketing to the 30 something year old who played the original NES Super Mario, they are either going for the market that is probably playing it for the first time like efralope said, or the Nin collector that buys all every rerelease, all the console/controller colors, the cards, toys, merchandise, LE stuff, etc... There's a reason why Nintendo is maiking the profits.

I own the following Advance 'ports': SMA1-4, Contra Advance, Megaman and Bass, Super Ghouls N Ghosts, Final Fight, Zelda: ALttP, Aero the Acrobat, Rock 'N Roll Racing, River City Ransom, Rayman Advance, Earthworm Jim, and the entire NES classics series...and probably more that I can't think of.

Yeah, I'm a part of the problem.

jarrod

Banned
kpop100 said:
Why are ports, remakes and sequels all getting lumped into one group in this topic? There is a clear difference. Correct me if I'm wrong but I when I think of the 3 (I wont go into spin-offs)

Port = same game more or less, for a different system, very small amount of content added if any, slight changes made to suit the new console game is ported to. (Viewtiful Joe PS2)

Remake = taking the base game, and giving the graphics an overhaul, tweaking the control, adding modes etc (REmake)

Sequel = Game based on a IP of a game made before. Completely new game, as far as levels, story, updated graphics, updated control scheme, lots of new added extra, possible new modes. (MGS3)
Out of curiousity, what would most consider Super Mario 64 DS to be?

DCharlie said:
Sony are still talking fluff - it's time for some specifics :

Launch date
Launch titles
Price
Battery life
Second Battery price
UMD support
Concrete download scheme

They are getting their asses kicked at the moment, and they need to start giving details.

iawtp

DCharlie

"Whatever truth there is to current speculation doesn't justify you jumping to such an extreme conclusion."

you'd be surprised.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yeah, you're right, I'm still reeling from the all the truth behind Sony's "No Ports" policy for the PSP... :p

DCharlie

"Yeah, you're right, I'm still reeling from the all the truth behind Sony's "No Ports" policy for the PSP... :p"

Sony change their mind all the time... they only realised the battery was an issue a couple of weeks back, so they usually note their mistakes.... eventually.... and then change something in order to fix their fuck up...

:p

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
DCharlie said:
yes, but that still means your game is limited to 20 meg area on a (potentially) one load situation, with nice music spooled from the UMD.

No streaming does not mean 20 MB loaded for the whole game.

Maybe 20 MB per loading and you load every level. You'd just have to split the game in 20 MB levels.

Even Halo loaded at every check-point.

Top Bottom