• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
_leech_ said:

:(

For some reason IEEE was stuck in my head but yeah HDMI. Definatley the $600 version for me...if I can amass the funds

brandonh83 said:
So what does not having HDMI prevent?

HDMI basically just puts HD Audio and Video together in one cable. There may also be complications with Blu-Ray and Content Protection but I have a feeling that the multi AV out on the PS3 will have this covered.

jax (old)

Banned
I'm quite intrigued to know why sony ended with so few games at their show:

NO SHOW:

UT 2007
Killzone
motorstorm
anything by capcom
that dynasty warrior PS3 game
kurayami
R+C3
that sega phantom title

+ more

no show.

someone care to comment?

and lair still being a cgi sequence = shock and un-awe

Amir0x

Banned
Lair wasn't CG.

Anyway, everyone is wondering the same thing Jax. IGN even commented on it - it was especially perplexing considering they got press materials for MANY other games. Even more odd was that they could have fit some of that shit in, as opposed to spending literally thirty minutes on a high-def version of GRAN TURISMO 4.

Fuckin' Sony, what the god-damn shit happened to you. Who gave you this advice? The white wizard was really Saruman.

thats what was disappointing to me too. Aside from 8 Days and Naughty Dog all the rest of the games shown were either stuff we already knew about or stuff we had already seen. I was expecting some new IPs from Sony or at least some new stuff in the preview montage. Where was all the 3rd party stuff too? Im talkin the exclusives from Konami and Capcom, or even the announcement of some 3rd party ports like Oblivion. Just didn't seem like the "blowout" i was expecting.

ManaByte

You know.

While watching the conference live stream at work tonight, after the snooze inducing 1080p GT4, and then the WTF card game I said:

"They're going to need a miracle, like Kojima himself floating down from heaven on a cloud with a playable MGS4, to save this thing..."

That didn't happen.

BlueTsunami said:
:(

For some reason IEEE was stuck in my head but yeah HDMI. Definatley the $600 version for me...if I can amass the funds

I already have $400+ saved up, another $250 isn't a problem for me. Whether or not i'll feel like dropping all that cash at once is the question...

ManaByte

Insertia said:
*eats hat*

click my tag.

I don't know what Sony is thinking. 360 and Wii just got a ton of leverage.

Well, even though the Wii DQ game is baffingly crazy bad (it's a port of a set top box game and looks it), I think Sony just handed Japan to Nintendo on a silver platter wrapped in Yen.

Anyone have any guess as to exactly what retailers will set the 60gig version at in Japan, since Sony left the price up to them?

BlueTsunami

rc213 said:
The whole GT HD was a bore fest, cut that to 5min and pack in tons more new games.

Yeah, I don't know why they did that. It felt like them trying to fill an hour with something. This conference was a complete disaster. The pacing was horrible, Kaz has NO personality (It should have been Phil Harrison up there instead of Kaz) and even when Phil WAS onstage, he didn't seem to enthusiastic (he probably already knew of the coming pricepoint debacle).

Apart from Heavenly Sword and Metal Gear Soid 4, the conference itself just fell flat on its face. Its good though that E3 itself is hosting a good handfull of playable PS3 games.

Oh and that Genji2 bit with the guy playing Genji2 and talking about flipping the crab...ugh...

Amir0x

Banned
ManaByte said:
Well, even though the Wii DQ game is baffingly crazy bad (it's a port of a set top box game and looks it), I think Sony just handed Japan to Nintendo on a silver platter wrapped in Yen.

Anyone have any guess as to exactly what retailers will set the 60gig version at in Japan, since Sony left the price up to them?

odd aspect... Final Fantasy XIII is STILL exclusive to PS3. Final Fantasy [numbered] has never been on a failing system. Did Sony pay them 5,000,000,000? Did SquareEnix know about this price before the conference? Are they now working furiously to port all their work to Wii and 360?

EekTheKat

Sony must be aware that this price is high and prepared themselves for a somewhat slow adoption rate for the PS3.

I think they're (more or less) prepared for this pricing backlash really. There was an emphasis for ongoing support for the PS2 for a few more years (think they were shooting for another 10 year cycle).

Though it remains to be seen as to what PS2 support will be like even a few years from now. The announcement of stuff like a new Socom game + a new God of War and quite a few PS2 titles seem to support this to some degree. I forget the exact numbers but it did seem like quite a lot of games are still on its way here (granted yeah, probably only a few will be worth playing).

Granted yeah, this isn't how traditionally a generation leap has worked (Once the generation leap occurs, the previous generation seems to fade away rather quickly - least from my own personal experience), and odds are it will backfire pretty badly on them by losing out on quite a lot of the hardcore gaming population to the 360 (which by now is pretty much guaranteed a lock on a much higher marketshare than this gen).

It's a pretty optimistic view, and odds are the whole thing will collapse upon Sony like a flaming stack of Betamax tapes. But for me personally, as long as the first + third party support is still there for the PS3, it's still a viable entertainment investment.

But who knows, maybe between now + launch something will change at Sony and they'll consider shaving $100 bucks or so off the launch price for both SKU's.

Polari

That $600 price point is a massive gift for Nintendo in Japan. Sony is their only competitor there, and this holiday season when the PS3 is $600 and the same size as the first Xbox, it's going to be a tough sell.

jax (old)

Banned
in terms of whats missing and whats shown, SONY seems to have de-emphaised their advantage over GC+XBOX, diversity and support by 3rd party.

THe absence of all those titles from their future line up is a major boo boo. It just seemed so distressingly in trouble. Especially when they kept emphaising that GT4HD was work in progress, and that they had just finished TOURIST TROPHY. I was like ... "what?" Hello, you guys have had a year +++ since the last showing.

and oh, where the hell was GRAND THEFT AUTO 4?

8 DAYS seemed to remind me of that Ubisoft game last year that sort of became red steel. The one with all the shattering glass + statue. And oh, the Sony show was extremely underwhelming because of the amount of cg. 8 DAYS = CGI.

there's more to be said:

warhawk. seriously, you have a great game like that and you show the boriest gameplay with nothing new. We've already seen the water..etc. They might be demoing the controls/tilt but the visuals just seemed so ... average. What happened to the massive shots of planes + sky juggernauts?

BlueTsunami

gofreak said:
"Heavenly Sword is currently slated to ship around the launch of the PlayStation 3. "

:D I hope that remains the case..

:O

Oh and GoFreak, Vysez over at B3D is :winking over the fact that Ninja Theory didn't show any of the large outdoor environments

Not sure if its a good wink or a bad wink....but NJ Boards make it seem like they've got something else up their sleeves

_leech_ said:
Where are you guys getting these HD clips?

I still have a membership at Gamespot left over from last year.

I've watched nearly all of the HD videos. Most impressive so to me were:

Heavenly Swprd
MGS4
Lair
Final Fantasy
Naughty Dog Jungle
Fatal Inertia
Hot Shots Golf
Afrika
Ridge Racer 7 (cg?)

Wollan

Atleast there will be some cool launch games to go with my 600$ PS3.
32 player Resistance with crazy weapons. :D

Anyone have a the one pic of the PS3 meny system(online shop)?

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
just watched the conference. that was extremely boring and I'm glad I skipped through all the talking.

- The crowd didnt seem impressed too much.
- Eyetoy demo sucked
- Purchasing weapons in warhawk? huh? no thanks
- Lack of gameplay footage to understand how some games would play
- Resistance looked good, but looked like it played like a standard FPS
- Impressed by EA demos of character animation
- Need MGS4 gameplay footage!
- PS3 controller is another fucking dualshock, but without vibration. Glad they included some basic motion sensing stuff, but it is obviously still vastly inferior to wiimote's package
- PS3 price is utterly ridiculous. No way I am paying $500 - $600 for a game machine

Overall pretty disappointed and glad I didn't stay up to watch it last night. I feel that the PS3 controller functions will have some good, but limited, effect because it is still constrained by both hands. Better than no change but trying to suggest it is some amazing innovation after we've seen wiimote was pushing it a bit. So bring on the other conferences

Sony surely is trying very hard to reach 3rd place...

I'm impressed. For bad. Very underwhelming specs, packs, games....yeah, you can save FFXIII and MGS4 but everything related to Sony was fucked up.

Now I know why they went with worldwide launch....they will have enough consoles, I'm sure.

Haven't seen HD movies but saw the HD screenshots, and almost all games seem to suffer from poor textures, poor filtering, low polycount and no AA - even worse than 360 did with its first batch of games..

Wollan

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
everything related to Sony was fucked up.

Sure it was. The price is very high yes and the show's first half was boring.
The complaints have gone way out of proportions today though but after a few days everything will be back to normal.

Joe

im watching sony's conference...im up to the part with the guy playing warhawk....

:lol :lol

this whole conference was a trainwreck. not going by what was said or shown but how it was told and shown. it was bad.

rc213

MrSardonic said:
listening to the 1UP podcast....wow, they are shitting on Sony's conference.

And rightfully so. The only thing that can bring some upside to the PS3 at this year's E3 is hopefully 3rd Parties will announce/show games that didnt turn up at Sony's Conference.

MrSingh

Amir0x said:
No I don't. If they DID, are they fucking nuts? If they DIDN'T, are they furiously calling Kutaragi to tell him to reconsider?

Since Square Enix games can easily demand up to 8800 yen, I think it's a match made in heaven.

You can't play if you can't pay. Get a 2nd job poor people! :lol

Jonnyram

Wollan said:
The complaints have gone way out of proportions today though but after a few days everything will be back to normal.
No. It was a fuckup. The only good things there were FFXIII and MGS4. There were a bunch of average first party titles, and some really fucking embarrassing first party titles too, but the third party stuff was not enough. PS3 will only succeed with third party exclusives.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Wollan said:

Keep telling yourself that.

AniHawk

The BEST part of the conference (besides MGS4) was the audience collectively knowing that Sony had lost it, and Harrison forcing everyone to clap at every other failure.

Top Bottom